• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh hey Snacks plays Overwatch.

Is there an Overwatch Discord? I've got a few friends that I play with, but would like an avenue to play with some non randoms (preferably ones who use the mic!)

Tabby

Is there amy reason NOT to upgrade Torchocolate's turret to level 2? On the wiki it says it uses scrap but I swear it never does for me.

I was playing a game where a Torchocolate just had his turret at level 1 with plenty of time to upgrade it and I had no idea why.

It probably used scrap back in beta but now the only purpose of scrap is to make armour for your team mates.
But no your turret should pretty much always be level 2.

Apathy

Is there amy reason NOT to upgrade Torchocolate's turret to level 2? On the wiki it says it uses scrap but I swear it never does for me.

I was playing a game where a Torchocolate just had his turret at level 1 with plenty of time to upgrade it and I had no idea why.

Pretty sure thats outdated, it takes nothing to upgrade to 2 so just always do it

gunstarhero

Any protips on Winston's offense capabilities? I like playing defense, but his tesla gun seems really weak to use when I need to go on the attack. And I like monkeys.

Hey new weekly brawl is here!

2016-06-0100_19_54-ov8cov2.png

excuse for me to wear my wolf skin for hanzo (y)

omg. let me melee genji yall. stop shooting your arrows

And I have openly told people that Toblerone is bottom-tier character like Zen. The fact that teams are letting me run over them with him is shocking. His main threat isn't even the turret.

Soldier is a mid-tier character.

Yep, Torbjorn is bottom 5 material. Regardless, he's pretty effective in pubs because people overestimate the turret and underestimate torbjorn himself, allowing you to get away with shit you shouldn't. Once people learn that you can out

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
tried the brawl, its awful. Yeah that mode is not for me at all

Any protips on Winston's offense capabilities? I like playing defense, but his tesla gun seems really weak to use when I need to go on the attack. And I like monkeys.

Jump into a grouping of squishes or people you need to push around and then pop your shield. The tesla shines against multiple targets.

But he's not a yolo solo character. You'll need some backup. He's great for disruption.

Direct hits on his rocket jump deals damage, up to 50 iirc. You can also fire and reload while in the air. That rocket damage can make a big difference in a 1v1 fight, especially if you can land a second one.

He is mostly an offensive tank imo, but double winston is pretty degenerate in terms of raw power and defensive capabilities.

Also, your main job is to distract and focus down enemies (tesla damage + another source = dead hero). Target priority is important. Taking a widow out of the fight is winston's biggest role. He is less good against hanzo but still pretty good if you can dodge scatter shot.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

He's a back line killer/disruptor

Focus on: Genji, Tracer, Hanzo, Widowmaker, Mercy, Zenyetta
With bubble, you can kill: Junkrat, Soldier, Reaper, McCree depending on skill level
Avoid: D.Va, Roadhog, Bastion in turret, Pharrah & Lucio are too hard to kill

What really changed how I play Winston is how I use his bubble. He shines when you use it offensively - jump in, circle in/out bubble as enemies can't shoot through ANY part of it, and you can easily kill anyone this way. When bubble expires or is killed, jump out.

ViviOggi

Me and my stack have been stanning icon Z for a while but only today I've seen a bunch of them in pubs...... sheeple waking up but little do they know about stacking Zaryas........

Speaking of Toblerone, people need to read up on armor and how it works in terms of damage reduction to understand why he's so useful, and how characters like D.Va are particularly great against flankers (Genji/Tracer) and others like Winston.

psyfi

Banned
You can speed boost and be faster than the wheel.

I did this a couple times and the guy would chase me with the wheel and couldn't catch me, then it ran out of time.
Yup, this is what I always do, and it's probably 70 successful. I usually pop the "amp it up" ability too in the hopes that my team will make it out as well.

Just won a weekly brawl

It's...dumb, lol. Genjis flying around, hanzos arrows being reflected, lot of SEE WHAT IS UNSEEN MARK OF THE DRAGON japanese phrases thrown around. Meh.

Because your turret is dead, there's a fight going on, and you can lay a level 1 turret down right now and keep firing with hardly a moment lost. Trying to upgrade a turret to level 2 in the thick of it though? Might be a fool's errand.

cHinzo

Damn McCree is such a beast on defense. 33 kills on Hanamura and removing every threat of a possible flank. :D

We also had 2 Bastions at the end of Gibraltar defense. The enemy team had no way to push in lol.

Wollan

I've somehow managed to miss all the 'lore' or character movies they've made for this game. Now that I'm loving the end product this is great.

Best game character ensemble introduction since a long while.

Yup. Tried to go toe to toe last night with a d.va. Was not happening. That's 1v1's, though. As a part of a team comp I'm honestly usually lost as either of those heroes. I just never manage to get my shit together and feel like a credit to team.
A good lesson right there! If you see a D.Va and you're Winston, you should definitely leap away to your team ASAP.

It used to cost scrap but it doesn't anymore.

The only reason to not upgrade is if there's a fight going on. In which case you might drop a Lvl. 1 turrent as a distraction and then go wreck people with your own gun.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Armor makes Winston pathetic. During the beta someone here claimed it takes 14 seconds for him to kill D.Va's mech from full health and armor?

Either way, don't attack D.Va as Winston.

Winston should bail the fuck out of any 1-on-1 engagement with another tank. Reinhardt and Roadhog will also fuck him up pretty good.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Pharaoh doesn't work on the PS4. If I try to get air time by pressing X, I have to give up aiming. WTF?

It's also bound to L2

The very first thing you should do when playing on PS4 is re-map jump to a trigger or bumper button( I used L1), it helps with Genji, Lucio, and Pharah. It also helps in general when you want to mess up someone's aim but keep shooting and moving around. Using X for jump completely kills your movement and sets you up to be killed.

The very first thing you should do when playing on PS4 is re-map jump to a trigger or bumper button( I used L1), it helps with Genji, Lucio, and Pharah. It also helps in general when you want to mess up someone's aim but keep shooting and moving around. Using X for jump completely kills your movement and sets you up to be killed.

i should do this.. lucio uses all his triggers though.. what did you swap out?

genji also uses all his triggers..

i also need to switch mercys gun to L2

What? I thought armor reduced damage by a maximum of 50%, for damage 10 or under?
The tesla canon does 3 DPR. So theoretically he does 1.5 damage against D.Va. The only question is how and if Blizzard rounds decimals, which I'm not sure that anyone has figured out. Because if they round, he's doing 66% of normal damage (or 33% mitigated). Last time I checked on a few fansites like owinfinity, I think they were saying that it's 2 damage.

Someone needs to test fractional damage more, to see if it shows the 1.5 damage as -2 first, then -1 next.

Zomba13

I wish playing (winning) the brawl once would give you a reward like in Hearthstone. But I guess they need more items for that. Maybe they could at least give 10 gold or whatever.

Just give one lootbox per week for winning a round of the weekly brawl.

Though that would never happen because then people wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on the lootboxes and the game will get its servers shut down and Blizzard would go bankrupt. Or at least that is what I've heard.

Zemm

Would people prefer the payload maps to work similar to TF2? Where the first attacking team sets the time, then the countdown timer is set to that and the other team has to try and beat it. I thought that was what it was going to be but obviously not. I dunno which would be better, I don't really have a problem with how quick play is now, but surely that's how the competitive playlist will play right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom