• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hey new weekly brawl is here!

2016-06-0100_19_54-ov8cov2.png

Lol this gonna be weird.

The tesla canon does 3 DPR. So theoretically he does 1.5 damage against D.Va. The only question is how and if Blizzard rounds decimals, which I'm not sure that anyone has figure out. Because if they round, he's doing 66% of normal damage (or 33% mitigated). Last time I check on a few fansites like owinfinity, I think they were saying that it's 2 damage.

Someone needs to test fractional damage more, to see if it shows the 1.5 damage as -2 first, then -1 next.

Aaah, that makes sense. Yeah, I'd be curious to know. I guess you could just time his ttk for her armor though and see how long it takes to burn through.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
i should do this.. lucio uses all his triggers though.. what did you swap out?

i also need to switch mercys gun to L2

Here's my button layout

Primary Fire = R2
Alt Fire = L2
Jump = L1
Skill 1(Lucio's "Pump it up", Soldier 76's Sprint, Winston's Jump, etc) = L3(thumbstick click) because most of the Skill 1 traits are movement related skills.

Skill 2 = R1
R3(thumbstick click) = ULT

This has worked the best for me. I hope it helps you and others here. Put Melee on the X(or A for Xbox) since that's not used often and when you do need to use it, it's quick enough to put your thumb back on the right thumbstick in a shorter time frame.

Here's my button layout

Primary Fire = R2
Alt Fire = L2
Jump = L1
Skill 1(Lucio's "Pump it up", Soldier 76's Sprint, Winston's Jump, etc) = L3(thumbstick click) because most of the Skill 1 traits are movement related skills.

Skill 2 = R1

This has worked the best for me. I hope it helps you and others here. Put Melee on the X(or A for Xbox) since that's not used often and when you do need to use it, it's quick enough to put your thumb back on the right thumbstick in a shorter time frame.

cool thanks I'm gonna try it out

X as jump just doesn't work for lucio.. can't even wall skate properly

psyfi

Banned
The very first thing you should do when playing on PS4 is re-map jump to a trigger or bumper button( I used L1), it helps with Genji, Lucio, and Pharah. It also helps in general when you want to mess up someone's aim but keep shooting and moving around. Using X for jump completely kills your movement and sets you up to be killed.
Yup, I had to modify my controls heavily on XB1, partially to conform to my Halo muscle memory. I have the Elite Controller though, which helps. I have jump on LB, melee on RB, swap weapons on Y, crouch on bottom right paddle, and ult on the upper right paddle.

Speaking of crouch, I REALLY wish there was an option to make it a "hold to crouch, release to stand" sorta thing.

mxgt

Banned
Ugh, lost a lot tonight, had some really bad teams. Didn't play that well myself either.

Strangely, I don't really get mad when I lose in this game.

eek5

Here's my button layout

Primary Fire = R2
Alt Fire = L2
Jump = L1

Skill 2 = R1

I'd put melee on R3 and ult on a face button personally. Some of the characters use melee to combo so it isn't bad to have and being able to aim and melee at the same time is important since missing a melee can screw you up.

Aaah, that makes sense. Yeah, I'd be curious to know. I guess you could just time his ttk for her armor though and see how long it takes to burn through.
I should really test that if I remember later tonight :p

Either way, whether 50% or 33%, he's still doing significant reduced damage against D.Va which makes her a great counter. Possibly one of her best counters actually.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I feel like matches are faster over with this weekly brawl.

Meaning faster leveling up.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I'd put melee on R3 and ult on a face button personally. Some of the characters use melee to combo so it isn't bad to have and being able to aim and melee at the same time is important since missing a melee can screw you up.

I'd say melee and ult are interchangeable, but you can set individual button layouts for each character by choosing them at the top of the button config menu.

mxgt

Banned
I feel you. I've lost 7 in a row today.

I know it's ridiculous, but it feels fixed at times.

I won quite a few yesterday to push my win rate up to 55%, then lose a shit load and get stomped this evening and now it's right back at 51

Feels bad man

Nowy

Whenever my group of friends decide to play with a 6 person party, we got smoked like 75% of the time. I get its trying to match us up with another full party, but we're all different skill levels and just trying to have fun, not play super seriously. Meanwhile we get matched up with people who do want to play like that. We have a much better experience if we split our group in half and play with two separate parties.

I don't really know how to solve this problem, and its probably not a big enough problem for most people to care, but I'm losing enthusiasm for the game because of it. Maybe once competitive mode is out the people we're being matched against will be too busy in that playlist to smash us in quickplay.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I know it's ridiculous, but it feels fixed at times.

I won quite a few yesterday to push my win rate up to 55%, then lose a shit load and get stomped this evening and now it's right back at 51

Feels bad man

I mean that's kinda how MMR is supposed to work until it stabilises right?

Any confident Pharah users here? Any tips on how to get better with her? Played her quite a bit in the beta, but when the game released I used other heroes more for Team sake early in game. So now I'm pretty rusty with her on top of playing with lvl40+ players.

Mevlock

Neo Member
A buddy on my team almost exclusively plays Roadhog and he does the same. He'll get gold medals foe eliminations, even though is usually rack up more. But closer inspection shows he lands a lot more Final Blows, whereas I tend to participate in eliminations (effectively assists)

I played Reinhardt today on Gibraltar. Attacking. Got 9 eliminations, (gold medal) as well as another two gold medals by the end of the game. I was shaking my head in disbelief for quite a while.

Oh and potg.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Finally saw a Mercy "Play of the Game". Can't remember the last time I saw that wasn't Bastion, Hanzo, or Torbjorn.

You think Mercy's POTG is rare? Try making Symmetra get play of the game. POTG doesn't count teleports and sentries are usually counted as assists. I've only seen Symmetra get POTG once out of tons of games and that was because the other team was blindly running into 6 turrets of hers back to back.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I played Reinhardt today on Gibraltar. Attacking. Got 9 eliminations, (gold medal) as well as another two gold medals by the end of the game. I was shaking my head in disbelief for quite a while.

Oh and potg.

Feels bad as a tank when you're killing more than the people who are meant to do the killing.

mbpm1

I guess I shouldn't take levels too seriously

I look at my team at the start of the match and I see none of us except me have levels even at double digits

the other team are all 20+

I prepare to get destroyed

Instead we roll over them and take objectives in like two minutes bc the other team insisted on playing COD and not contesting

Apathy

Junker D.va is so good, but wish she had long hair. Starting to want to play mix and match with different pieces of outfits, this isn't good

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright. McCree is starting to annoy me now. Guy just racked up 21 kills and 20 were from fan the hammer. :|

Alright. McCree is starting to annoy me now. Guy just racked up 21 kills and 20 were from fan the hammer. :|

Seems like they're planning on nerfing his fan the hammer.

Geoff Goodman (Principal Designer) said:
I've been watching McCree carefully since we've released. McCree's flashbang plays an important role in being a strong option against very fast/agile teams (tracers/genjis/etc). It is also a nice tool to prevent close range devastating abilities and ultimates such as Reaper's Death Blossom.

That said, its probably a bit too good at dealing damage to higher health targets such as Tanks and barriers. I don't have any concrete changes yet, but I'm going to be testing some things internally to see how he plays.

By saying 'its probably a bit too good at dealing damage to higher health targets' I mean his flash/fan combo, not the flash itself. Fan is more likely to see changes than flash at this point.

That said, it's just going to make the same folks migrate to Tracer but she's at least exciting to watch and play.

Ardenyal

I guess I shouldn't take levels too seriously

I look at my team at the start of the match and I see none of us except me have levels even at double digits

the other team are all 20+

I prepare to get destroyed

Instead we roll over them and take objectives in like two minutes bc the other team insisted on playing COD and not contesting

Im lvl 36 and today I got matched with lvl 50-70 players, I assume they were a group. They must have played the game for dozens of hours and they still hadn't learned to regroup before a push. Just a constant stream of *blue dorito->orange dorito->dead dorito* towards the objective.

bigedole

I put Lucio's alt fire on R3. I started using L1 for jump on the first day of release, took me about 2 hours to get used to it but it makes a HUGE difference. I don't understand how people can play without being able to turn effectively while jumping. I pretty much jump non stop in dog fights hehe.

Any confident Pharah users here? Any tips on how to get better with her? Played her quite a bit in the beta, but when the game released I used other heroes more for Team sake early in game. So now I'm pretty rusty with her on top of playing with lvl40+ players.

I try and avoid the main ground and stick to ledges and higher areas when near combat. I still find myself getting stuck one on one when I do end up on the ground and end up dead.
However she can be great to use as bait for Reinhardt's charges. Let him see you on the ground then once he charges you fly up in the air and rain rockets on his head.

FinKL

Whenever my group of friends decide to play with a 6 person party, we got smoked like 75% of the time. I get its trying to match us up with another full party, but we're all different skill levels and just trying to have fun, not play super seriously. Meanwhile we get matched up with people who do want to play like that. We have a much better experience if we split our group in half and play with two separate parties.

I don't really know how to solve this problem, and its probably not a big enough problem for most people to care, but I'm losing enthusiasm for the game because of it. Maybe once competitive mode is out the people we're being matched against will be too busy in that playlist to smash us in quickplay.

I've noticed this as well. It prioritizes party size vs same party size then tries to match on skill.

It's time like these I wish we had a server browser and huge player counts. I can barely casually play because I'm often kicked for stepping away for a min to tend to a new baby.

Maximo

Yeah its hard playing with a couple of mates.

Flintty

I've been so unlucky with skins but pretty good with coins and finally hit 1000 tonight. I treated myself to the Stonehardt skin. It looks fucking epic. Now crushing skulls with style :)

shiba5

The very first thing you should do when playing on PS4 is re-map jump to a trigger or bumper button( I used L1), it helps with Genji, Lucio, and Pharah. It also helps in general when you want to mess up someone's aim but keep shooting and moving around. Using X for jump completely kills your movement and sets you up to be killed.

Yep, X is awful.

Just found these on Reddit:

http://www.owfire.com/overwatch/counters

PC Gamer: Learn counters to every Overwatch hero

From THIS thread where the OP shamelessly reposted the PC Gamer advice without giving credit. At least some of the comments are helpful, like this correction to the Bastion counter tip:

While Junkrat can easily end a static target such as Bastion either by using your mine to fly yourself up and towards him,

Don't do this. A Bastion with half a brain (insert joke here) will shred an airborne target in no time. You are much better off lobbing LMBs into his area when poking around a corner to force him to move or die.

Definitely agree.

Do people actually enjoy posting up with Bastion? Like, is that a fun thing to do?

I like using Bastion for the "surprise, motherfucker!" element. I move around often and set up in different spots, so that the enemy team is always wary of turning a corner. Posting up against a halfway decent player is going to get you killed. I'm only level 17 and already people are getting wise to camping Bastions - Widow, Junkrat, and Genji will make short work of you if you stay put.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom