• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's one Ilios map that Symmetra's really good on. The one where the point is in the building on the cliff with the open sides. Her and Winston work super well there together.

Lighthouse, yeah. That's actually a little too small, mainly speaking vertically. Too easy for an enterprising Reaper, Tracer, Pharah, S76, or Winston to clear all your turrets off with great speed, assuming they don't get hit entirely by accident in the crossfire.

I've never tried her on Night Market. She's my most narrow hero and I don't even consider using her outside of defense and only for the first point.

I guess it could work but really, why wouldn't I just pick Lucio/Pharah to knock people off the stage?

Because sometimes people don't cooperate with that? :p

Besides, there's some great spots nearby to tuck away the teleporter.

Then they aren't marketing it very well. Haven't seen anything from Blizz at all about officially sanctioned tourneys.

It's mainly ESL, etc. There haven't been any Blizz "NA qualifiers" or anything of that caliber yet that I know of, but teams like C9, Liquid, etc. already have pretty established teams practicing consistently.

*edit*. Damn this thread is fast.

Zackat

Genji is my new favorite. After not playing him hardly at all yesterday, now I just love playing him. This game so good like that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Because sometimes people don't cooperate with that? :p

Besides, there's some great spots nearby to tuck away the teleporter.
I can see how it'd work but you're really relying on your team to be able to fight 5v6 or 5.5v6 for that first engagement, and my first rule of pubs is assume all your teammates are braindead morons until proven otherwise.

XenoRaven

Like why can a character block herself off in the corner of a control point, then when the wall goes away become invincible and heal, and then when that ends she can make a wall again?

Her cooldowns should "freeze" (heyooo) in the ice block or something. People are saying she's not that good (I disagree) but there's something to a character that, regardless of how strong or not strong they are, just makes the game a chore to play.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Just hit 9 and I've gotten 3 legendary skins: Nevermore Reaper, Stunt Driver Soldier 76, and Ra floaty monk guy. Too bad the only guy I get to play is Lucio (why you no heal, randoms).

I'm 31 and I've only gotten 2, one of Torjborn's (the biker one) and I can't remember who else.

I opened up a loot crate last night and saw the gold disc hover above and was like "ALL RIGHT" then I saw it was only gold. :\

Gator86

Unless you're a stream junkie, competitive play is fairly meaningless.

Yeah, I don't give a shit about competitive level PC play given I'm just playing on PS4. I know I can roll up on someone with Mei and get a freeze in situations that would get my face blown off on PC where the aiming is so much better. Tier lists based on that don't quite shake out the same way across the different platforms, I'd guess.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Like why can a character block herself off in the corner of a control point, then when the wall goes away become invincible and heal, and then when that ends she can make a wall again?

Her cooldowns should "freeze" (heyooo) in the ice block or something. People are saying she's not that good (I disagree) but there's something to a character that, regardless of how strong or not strong they are, just makes the game a chore to play.

The main thing that bugs me about this is that she can actually contest points/payloads while everyone just stands around unable to do anything.

I'm liking Junkrat vs. her though. Drop the trap right on the ice to basically guarantee a kill.

I can see how it'd work but you're really relying on your team to be able to fight 5v6 or 5.5v6 for that first engagement, and my first rule of pubs is assume all your teammates are braindead morons until proven otherwise.

Well, sorta. Her alt fire can be very useful in a team fight.

But yeah, you'll want to switch to her ideally after you've already gotten the point.

psyfi

Banned
It says "Competitive" overwatch, so presumably pro players in tournaments
Ah, that makes sense.

Are you going to be on tonight? I'm thinking of hopping on a for at least a few games in the next 15 minutes or so.
Hey yeah! Sorry for ignoring your invite last night, I was already in a game and didn't want to bail on my helpless pubs. I have to focus on homework tonight / till the end of the week, but then I'll be done for the summer and it'll be OW all day everyday. :)

Played a bunch of good games tonight. When you have a full group and you're playing another full group (at higher levels of play), I don't think I've had a better FPS experience like it before and I've played a lot of competitive FPS. And this is of course just in a casual queue... hoping for ranked to bring the experience up another notch.

LordofPwn

The main thing that bugs me about this is that she can actually contest points/payloads while everyone just stands around unable to do anything.

I'm liking Junkrat vs. her though. Drop the trap right on the ice to basically guarantee a kill.
Iirc while in ice cube she isn't contesting. Also you can shoot down her wall pretty fast if the team is helping.

there isn't a more frustrating experience* as a healer than dealing with a Tracer hassling you just outside of your respawn. not a single one of them has the ability to cope with that alone.

*dealing with Tracer in general is annoying.

New merch

13315420_617952298362582_3244956540687222037_n.png
I'm going to get that Hanzo shirt at some point because even though I don't play him often, there's a bearded, Japanese man connection going on between us.

I'll reiterate that I really want one thing from them: statues/action figures. Also, if they put out sticker packs of the sprays, I'd totally buy them.

I'm going to get that Hanzo shirt at some point because even though I don't play him often, there's a bearded, Japanese man connection going on between us.

I'll reiterate that I really want one thing from them: statues/action figures. Also, if they put out sticker packs of the sprays, I'd totally buy them.

I'd probably buy a Torbjorn statue.

Anyone else finding their casual matches are turning really rather intense? The guys I have been playing with have been regularly facing really tough opponents often leveled between 50 and 80 (I know level doesn't in itself mean anything but it's still indicative of experience).

The problem with this is that every casual play match ends up really sweaty and intense. Many of the teams we have faced are running professional team compositions (e.g. 2/2/2) and every match feels hard fought. I understand that that in itself is fun, but it feels like I'm playing a ranked mode, with no ranked rewards. Sometimes I just want to play a game and chill without feeling the need to bring my A game.every match.

This skill based system (or whatever it is that is guiding matchmaking) has caused me to limit the amount with which I experiment, and ultimately have less fun with the game, as I'm constantly trying to play the correct characters and run an appropriate team comp to stand a chance.

It reminds me of when I used to play rocket league, and in ranked games I would find Kronovi and the upper echelons of ranked players, and then in casual games I would find the same players. It ended up feeling like every match was super sweaty, and in my opinion it gets a bit boring after a while, it doesn't feel like you're progressing in skill if the game is constantly dragging you towards a 50/50 win loss.

I much prefer other PC games where you can just join a server and get a random distribution of players and skill levels. Those matches always have more variance to what happens in them too, with more players experimenting with their characters and playstyles etc.

Gorillaz

I would say a health debuff would work. Mei is a pseudo tank at this point

ExVicis

Woo! Finally got the "Whoa There!" achievement! Managed to just get in range with the Flashbang of a Pharah who was trying to rain Justice from above. Guess she didn't know Justice doesn't dispense itself.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Surrpised NECA isn't doing them since they're doing the really awesome Heroes of the Storm figures
IMG_6617.jpg

Salarians

Took a long look at the skins. The only legendaries I really want are Mako for Roadhog, Mach T for Tracer, and (to a lesser degree) Undersea for Winston.

I'm never going to get any of them...

MGrant

Symmetra can annoy almost as well as Tracer if played right. You should be setting turrets all the time in places where you know the enemy is going to be, even if you know they'll be shot down relatively quickly; they recharge fast enough that you don't have to commit to them like Torb's turrets. This means faster teleporter charges and less time for your team to focus down big threats. You can also zap an enemy and then lure them into a turret nest for an easy kill; even just one turret in conjunction with your left click is enough to take down a 76 most of the time. Finally, it's always good to annoy a Reinhardt with right click to goad him into making an unnecessary charge or forward push into the waiting shitstorm of your team's weapons.

The shields need some rethinking. They are just a one-application buff that requires no thinking other than remembering that they should be up. They help a little, but not a lot, and that's the reason that she should be a Defense character, not a Support. The best idea I've seen for a replacement has been a toggle that turns your turrets into healing lasers. That sounds like it would increase the number of meaningful decisions that Symmetra can make, and also actually allow her to carry the team as a support.

Xevren

Think for the rest of the week I'm just going to pick other characters, tired of playing support all the time even though no one else will pick it.

Utopaea Symmetra is the best skin in the game. Anyone who disagrees has no taste.

I REALLY hope Blizz goes easy on the CC with hero designs going forward. Stuff like that has no place in a first person game.

I love this game. I'm not going to act like I'm amazing, but if you are playing on PC and you need someone to try to fill whatever roll hit me up. My battlenet is hansgruberr#1230.

I'm pretty competitive, but I'm not get pissed off at everyone because they did something wrong competitive. I play because I want to have a good time.

Anyone else thinks they should remove the death cam from Symmetras turrets?

Eh. Turrets are plentiful enough that you should be able to set up a different configuration and maybe catch people out again. Also, if you're smart at least some of your turrets will be difficult for enemies to destroy without taking damage themselves, unless they arrive in such overwhelming numbers that you were going to lose the point anyways.

(assuming your complaint was because people could see where your turrets were hidden and destroy them when they respawn)

Ah, that makes sense.

Hey yeah! Sorry for ignoring your invite last night, I was already in a game and didn't want to bail on my helpless pubs. I have to focus on homework tonight / till the end of the week, but then I'll be done for the summer and it'll be OW all day everyday. :)
No worries. Sounds good. :)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Almost level 50 and only two legendary skins.

Well i hate you too Blizzard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom