• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
People find Torb to be low tier as well, but find I have my best games as him. Got my 20 kill streak with him. MOLTEN CORE!!!!

Torbs can be a game changer if he is used correctly. He benefits the entire team

On the other hand I find Widowmaker to be one of the most useless heroes, and everybody picks her. Love just watching her look at the objective as her team is all fighting for their lives.

She can be used effectively if the right person is using her, but too bad most people arent good with her. She can be good when paired with the right team. On top of that it irritates me to all end when people pick her on offense.

I really hate playing against Pudge...

You really gotta keep him shutdown before he gets a blink dagger.

I'm quite happy about the possible incoming nerf to McCree's fan ability. That hits tanks like a truck currently and deffo needs looking at.

I mentioned it yesterday, but I really hope they don't nerf the damage to the fan. It's going to put him in the unplayed trash tier. It's a little too accurate, so my opinion would be that the nerf should be to the stability of using it. Only 3 rounds should hit at distance, so in order to pop a full six-shot into someone, you'd have to be point-blank.

Since he has no mobility, it makes it a risk-reward scenario, perfect for his character.

Flintty

Agreed! It's the only thing I've noticed seems fairly imbalanced across the board. Obviously McCree has his counters, but if someone knows what theyre doing with him, he's auto-lose close range.

Yeah at first he wasn't a problem for my Reinhardt but the player base has wisened up to what he can do and now in every game there's one flashing and two/three shotting me. I don't like to see characters get nerfed but this is deffo needed. That said, it does make it more satisfying (in his current state) when I do manage to catch him off guard and smash his face in with a hammer :D

I mentioned it yesterday, but I really hope they don't nerf the damage to the fan. It's going to put him in the unplayed trash tier. It's a little too accurate, so my opinion would be that the nerf should be to the stability of using it. Only 3 rounds should hit at distance, so in order to pop a full six-shot into someone, you'd have to be point-blank.

Since he has no mobility, it makes it a risk-reward scenario, perfect for his character.

Absolutely, he should still be deadly with it. Perhaps a short cooldown on Fan so there's not so much burst damage to take down a character with 500 hp.

Akim

Banned
I've been having a ton of good games with Symetra. She is one of my favorites to play, too bad she is only good on the first point of defend maps.

Sorral

I can't play Mercy for shit for some reason... I do way better on Lucio and Zen.

Oh guess this is when the gane's match making decided it's time for me to lose.

Joined 2 games in the last 3 mins with the team nowhere near the objective and I got silver with 4 kills using reaper for the first time.

Seriously.

Meh. I joined games when the "Defeated!" line came on screen several times and they counted. lol

Interfectum

I've been having a ton of good games with Symetra. She is one of my favorites to play, too bad she is only good on the first point of defend maps.

I've had a lot of success with her on attack as well. If you can establish an FOB for your team it helps a LOT. Multiple times I've gotten upvoted by my team for the assist I provided on attack.

Kent

I really wish Mercy's wings on the normal recolor skins would at least change to match the skins, like the do on the higher tier ones. There's no higher tier green skin though, and the simple recolor is such a nice shade.

Ken

I can't play Mercy for shit for some reason... I do way better on Lucio and Zen.

Meh. I joined games when the "Defeated!" line came on screen several times and they counted. lol

Mercy has a bigger emphasis on juggling burst heals between targets than the other two (and prioritize important targets depending on the situation) while making sure to be out of the way when the shooting starts, IMO.

Oh man just had a 10 minute extended overtime where I was healing my ass off with Mercy, trying for the love of god to keep the team alive and on the checkpoint. We eventually lost, but man, I was pretty proud in keeping us alive that long!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
think ive reached the point in the game's life where its basically 2 or 3 losses for every win, literal 1 step forward 2 steps back, even with groups. Oh well

Blues1990

With regards to D.Va, I'd say be very cognizant of your effective range. A lot of new D.Va players like to take potshots from mid-range, which isn't really effective. You're more of a flanker/close damage dealer akin to Reaper. Also all it takes for people to avoid your ult is a wall or sufficiently large environmental object, so it's more effective to lob your meka like a cooked grenade.

So I should try to get in close, do a lot of damage, then boost away before the opposing team can react? Also, what do you mean by lobbing D.Va's mech like a grenade? I only use the self-destruct ability when a Zarya player immobilizes them or if I want to create some distance between me & a Roadhog player.

I personally want a Samus skin that way when I'm D.Va and I'm outside of her Mech I wanna have the Blue Zero Suit Samus has.

I won't lie. This idea is pretty cool.

I finally did it, Gaf. I finally got PotG with the objectively best skin/intro combo.

7IRC8f4.gif

The actual PotG was a wow-so-impressive multikill Pharrah ult no one's ever seen that before.

Man, Overwatch is truly the game that keeps on giving, right? Mei, Zarya, & Lucio have been my mains, but I would kill to play Pharah with that alt. skin.

Speaking of which, I've also been getting better with Mei. Despite her innocent appearance, I've been an absolute terror when I get to work. Probably my favourite moment was when I was able to get the Bastion, Symmetra, and Torbjorn players on my team to sneak into a normally unreachable back entrance (a la creating an Ice Wall under them), then they can sneak in, set shop, and wreak havoc while the rest of the team creates a distraction.

Even when people go after me (when I ice wall their escape route, toss Snowball into their vicinity, then cryo-freeze myself), it feels so satisfying to be a temporary distraction. My teammates can roll in to save me, while the opposing team tries to blast away my chubby Chinese bubble butt into oblivion. Even if I can’t win, I can certainly waste the hell out of their time. >:)

XenoRaven

Mercy is very unique in this game in that she's rarely looking to actively engage. You have to completely rethink your strategy and your positioning compared to Lucio and Zen. Unfortunately, the only way to get the hang of it is to keep playing her.

I need to sell my video card so I can afford to upgrade to the 1070 when it comes out, but if I do that I will have up to a month of not playing Overwatch.

What to do???

Sorral

Mercy has a bigger emphasis on juggling burst heals between targets than the other two (and prioritize important targets depending on the situation) while making sure to be out of the way when the shooting starts, IMO.

Mercy is very unique in this game in that she's rarely looking to actively engage. You have to completely rethink your strategy and your positioning compared to Lucio and Zen. Unfortunately, the only way to get the hang of it is to keep playing her.

Which I can't seem to keep that in mind and forget about using her wings to run off or do some healing from a good distance. On Lucio, I can shoot or throw people off the cliffs while also healing at the same time without really thinking about it.

I remember falling asleep on white mage in FFXI from how slow and easy it was. Not a 1:1 comparison I know, but anyways: Here? I get smashed on Mercy. Doesn't help when it is solo and teammates run off to die on fighting against 3-4 enemies at once.

Still, I think I'll try her some more to do good revives near the end of payload defense rounds.

I need to sell my video card so I can afford to upgrade to the 1070 when it comes out, but if I do that I will have up to a month of not playing Overwatch.

What to do???

keep your current video card and save up for the new video card. Don't have to buy the 1070 on day one. not like it will be a limited edition with 100 or 1000 only made.

People find Torb to be low tier as well, but find I have my best games as him. Got my 20 kill streak with him. MOLTEN CORE!!!!

I was looking at my win percent with different heros yesterday and they range from 60%-40% but Torbs is 78%.

I guess its because a lot of people are new to the game but at the moment he feels like a must pick for the defending team.
I also had a super embarrassing play of the game with him where hes laying dead for the duration of the clip :p

Sorral

What to do???

Aren't they doing the Founder's Edition for a while first? Wait for the regular and get it cheaper, which allows you to play OW until then.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm thinking of recording my games. Not for streaming, but for highlight reels after. Never been into it much. What's the best setup that won't kill performance? Best to just save to an external drive, I presume?

Meia

I know it's been going on for a few pages already, but I'll throw in my own two cents about McCree.

They've said they don't mind his damage burst, but his ability to burst tanks down. I think the only way you'll remove that ability is by removing the idea of his roll instantly fully reloading his revolver. It's not so much that he has great burst damage that starts with a stun that can take down like 90% of the characters in the game, but then he can take out the other 10% by using a second cooldown to roll and then burn another clip instantly.

Personally I'd rather them either remove the reload with the roll and either lower the CD of the roll(and maybe give it invincibility frames to give him an evade, which is what a roll SHOULD be in the first damn place), or if you do have to reload have him only refill a few bullets into the chamber that way. My problem ultimately with McCree isn't necessarily his ability to take out a tank instantly(though this is Blizzard's), but that he can jump almost any two characters in the game and take them both out in the span of 2 seconds, something that only his current roll enables.

For D'Va, I started having great games with her when I realized what her best role probably is. Fly at people(usually a high priority target like a Mercy), hit her with the fly(knocking back and doing damage), do a quick melee, then unload your guns point blank into them. Her high armor gives her good survivability, coupled with the ability to negate all bullets for a period of time. Usually this gives me time to then boost away after taking out a target and getting to the nearest health pack. Hanamura's last point is just lovely for this with 3 or 4 health packs all within boosting range of that point. :D

kyle-777-

Agreed! It's the only thing I've noticed seems fairly imbalanced across the board. Obviously McCree has his counters, but if someone knows what theyre doing with him, he's auto-lose close range.

I don't think that the only real counters to McCree being another McCree or Widow makes the game healthy, seeing that one is the same character and the other may be called a counter to everything that is not a tank.

He really deserves to lose the ability to kill tanks in 4 button presses.

Which I can't seem to keep that in mind and forget about using her wings to run off or do some healing from a good distance. On Lucio, I can shoot or throw people off the cliffs while also healing at the same time without really thinking about it.

I remember falling asleep on white mage in FFXI from how slow and easy it was. Not a 1:1 comparison I know, but anyways: Here? I get smashed on Mercy. Doesn't help when it is solo and teammates run off to die on fighting against 3-4 enemies at once.

Still, I think I'll try her some more to do good revives near the end of payload defense rounds.

I love Mercy but I never play her solo. At least with Zen or Lucio I can defend myself or stall for my blind and deaf teammates to do something about the 155468934 flankers, tanks and snipers that will murder you playing Mercy.

She's super fun with a teammate who can play though.

Hyun Sai

I was looking at my win percent with different heros yesterday and they range from 60%-40% but Torbs is 78%.

I guess its because a lot of people are new to the game but at the moment he feels like a must pick for the defending team.

In Quick Play, the combo Tjorbs / Bastions will always be more easy to play than to beat.

I won't see this changing ever in this mode, especially when you have way more players in solo than in pre-made.

LiK

Gotta say that Tracer is an awesome character. She's fun and many enemy players don't notice her attacking them until it's too late. I think I'll try to play her way more. Fun to screw around and mess with the other team.

He's kind of a joke character for me that I bust out when I've been drinking (and want to put a turret on the elevator on Hollywood), but I also have a 4.26 E/D with him, so maybe I should start taking him seriously...

His rivet gun is really powerful, and if I hear "molten core" in game, I just nope out for a while. Not even gonna bother.

Zaventem

Man I misjudged Zarya. She's incredibly skillful, was impressed by a person on the team and decided to give her a try, absolutely destroys in koth maps. I love that im 50 levels in and people still shoot at you with the shield on. Shame how garbage her skins are.

Oh guess this is when the gane's match making decided it's time for me to lose.

Joined 2 games in the last 3 mins with the team nowhere near the objective and I got silver with 4 kills using reaper for the first time.

Seriously.

Yeah, this is something I've thought about. With the way matchmaking is set up (hidden MMR), once you've dropped a good amount of time in, the game is discouraging you from trying new characters if you haven't already since most seem to be playing their "mains". I've played several matches with the same people who only use one character and wonder what they're going to do when they get countered repeatedly.

I wish there was a mode where people could just drop randomly into a server without any MMR involved so they could practice other heroes.

I also had a super embarrassing play of the game with him where hes laying dead for the duration of the clip :p

Yea it could just be low experience randoms not dealing with him properly, but the way I play him is I build a turret and help defend a forward line with the turret supporting us. I have seen some dudes just baby sit it. Of course it helps to remember to throw armor and fix my turret or popping molten core when it is almost dead for an instant 700 health turret.

Man I misjudged Zarya. She's incredibly skillful, was impressed by a person on the team and decided to give her a try, absolutely destroys in koth maps. I love that im 50 levels in and people still shoot at you with the shield on. Shame how garbage her skins are.
Yeah. I don't even like her color swaps. Very disappointing, because along with Winston she's my favorite tank.

Ardenyal

That feel when you draw Tracer, McCree, S76 and Hanzo away from objective and think to yourself that you bought enough time for your team to cap the objective 2v5. Nope, team died to Lucio and Roadhog.

edit: pictures too big.

As i said previously, Im very successful with D.Va, and Im pretty much in the top 1% of for every category with her. She is very good

Pilgrimzero

Finally gave Bastion a chance and murdered the opposing team. Brutal. He's not uncrackae though.

Funny enough one of my best characters seems to be D Va.

Eric WK

I'm not terribly upset about a competitive delay. More time to hone skills, practice characters, meet potential competitive teammates, etc. will be beneficial in the long run.

I think people tend to over-value the competitive scene when talking tier lists. I'm not sure Torbjorn will ever be good in a competitive match because even a modicum of coordination makes his turret useless and without it he's essentially half a hero. That said, he can be really good in pub games and gets PotG petty often to boot.

Mei is the same way. I think she's the least used hero in competitive matches, and judging by her kit and where the meta is I feel it'll be awhile before she's used at all if ever. But she's a nightmare to deal with in pubs, so she's not weak by any stretch.

Really the balance in this game I feel is pretty good. McCree is the only real problem I see and I think either a cooldown on FTH or no reload on roll will do alot for his balance.

LiK

Someone at Blizzard has goth or punk fetish because Tracer, Widow and Zarya have those skins as Legendaries. I find them super boring, tbh. Wish they had more skins based on movies or other video game characters.

Also, I'm disappointed they don't have unique skins for people who own other Blizzard games.

26 skill streak on D.va defending on Hanamura. Sensational.

Looking forward to ranked.
Someone at Blizzard has goth or punk fetish because Tracer, Widow and Zarya have those skins as Legendaries. I find them super boring, tbh. Wish they had more skins based on movies or other video game characters.

Also, I'm disappointed they don't have unique skins for people who own other Blizzard games.
The punk thing, while isn't super authentic actually fits Tracer's heritage. And goths are into spiders so that's a match for Widowmaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom