• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sianos

I feel like if you're going to give your hitscan sniper hero a sniper rifle with an insanely short charge time and high damage, you probably shouldn't also give them mobility options AND an assault rifle on part with classes who aren't snipers.

ShinZed

I really don't know why people hate Mei so much. Yeah, she builds walls. It's not as annoying as walking round a corner and getting shot dead by a Bastion in a second or two.

Anyway, having fun so far. I usually do better with supports like Lucio or Mercy but I like Mei and Dva too. Junkrat is good for anti turtling.

Anyone in Euro PC land wants to add me would be great, always happy to hear advice and stuff. Lethia#2942 on bnet.

Xeteh

I really don't know why people hate Mei so much. Yeah, she builds walls. It's not as annoying as walking round a corner and getting shot dead by a Bastion in a second or two.

Anyway, having fun so far. I usually do better with supports like Lucio or Mercy but I like Mei and Dva too. Junkrat is good for anti turtling.

Anyone in Euro PC land wants to add me would be great, always happy to hear advice and stuff. Lethia#2942 on bnet.

Because she slows and stuns and people find that annoying but they never play her and don't understand that she isn't easy mode so they instead just driveby trash talk.

I've been wondering... Are Soldier, Reaper, and Bastion the oldest characters? Maybe Reinhardt as well?

playoverwatch.com lists Reaper and Solider as "unknown", Reinhardt is 61 (holy shit), Hanzo is 38 and Mercy is 37

Edit: Torbjorn is 57

Zaventem

Mei is probably the most frustrating hero to play against. She has no real weaknesses, good range

What lol, I was testing mei in the pratice range last night and the freeze range is literally the yellow line after the first square where the robots are shooting, if I remember correctly it's 10 meters go test it out. It's weird that peole just dont back up when she's spraying away.

What lol, I was testing mei in the pratice range last night and the freeze range is literally the yellow line after the first square where the robots are shooting, if I remember correctly it's 10 meters go test it out. It's weird that peole just dont back up when she's spraying away.

Don't forget her secondary fire

I swear there was a Hanzo aimbotting yesterday. He was reckless, running into battle like he didn't know how to play well, but popped headshots almost every shot he took at me. I never want to say anything in game because it just seems like I'm being salty, if he's not actually aimbotting.

That's just Hanzo in general, he shoots log sized arrows I swear. Even in replays his aim can be like a cm away from anyone yet boom headshot

LordofPwn

I feel like if you're going to give your hitscan sniper hero a sniper rifle with an insanely short charge time and high damage, you probably shouldn't also give them mobility options AND an assault rifle on part with classes who aren't snipers.

the accuracy of widows AR is not great. it's decent damage but any character that can get close to a widow should be able to easily win that 1v1 fight.

ShinZed

Because she slows and stuns and people find that annoying but they never play her and don't understand that she isn't easy mode so they instead just driveby trash talk.

playoverwatch.com lists Reaper and Solider as "unknown", Reinhardt is 61 (holy shit), Hanzo is 38 and Mercy is 37

Guess it must be a psycological thing. This person stopped me from being able to move! I hate her! Regardless of the fact that a Widow would have shot them dead in half the time.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
important bit is killing the Torbjorn. Take his turret out he'll just drop another one. Do not under any circumstances underestimate his primary and alt fire either. While there are a lot of knuckle-dragging hammer-swingers out there there are some who've realized how devastating he can be simply shooting people. :) Very high damage, large magazine gun he's packing.

Yeah. The key thing here is that Torb is not like TF2's Engie. You are not babysitting your turret or running around just looking for scrap. You are not a passive participant in the fights. You want to put the turret forward enough that it participates in team fights but protected enough that it isn't easily countered. Then you put your body in your team's back line to suppress forward chokes with your rivet gun. If somebody comes knocking at your turret, you shoo them away with your rivet gun so that they take fire from multiple directions.

Lesath

Yeah but you are acting childish too, you don't want to take an actual argument of "not everyone is equal" and say it's not a valid argument. It is a perfect argument because if everyone has the exact same toolkit (or lackthere of) then we all might as well be playing the original doom where everyone is just a space marine and nothing else.

Everyone has positives and negatives and lucio is strong on offense but I'd still say hes less strong on D than Mercy because the ability to plant yourself in choke points and not have to be extending plays to her strengths

I suppose I should have been more clear, but "everyone is different" is not a justification for imbalance. Otherwise you can just call McCree "different" and leave him alone with regards to balancing decisions, and Blizzard's balancing team can just take a nice vacation.

A better counter-argument would be listing the strengths of Mercy and Zenyatta kits that Lucio doesn't have. And for my part, I'd say Mercy's single target healing (~50 hps) doesn't really justify the lack of offensive, defensive, and mobility options compared to Lucio, whose healing is on par (12.5 hps x1 - 5 when NOT amped) that doesn't care if you've been hit in the last few seconds). Admittedly, his heals require LoS, but so does Mercy's.

What I had suggested (the removal of the knockback, or even an increased cooldown) seemed minor, when taking into account the rest of the amazing options left from Lucio's kit.

Kalentan

Reinhardt appears to be the oldest. He even has a few voice clips like "Respect your elders" and "Get off my lawn"

Well we know Morrison joined the army at 18 and served in it for a bit before joining their super soldier program. Then we know that the Omnic Crisis lasted over 30 years before the present and Morrison joined the army and the program before than.

His hair was originally blonde but greyed out before his supposed "death," (which probably both mentally and physically aged him a bit further.)

So maybe he is in his 50s?

He also has a line like:
"Young punks. Get off my lawn."

So at least old enough to consider other characters "young punks."

R0ckman

I don't think its simply Meis freezing, its that depending on what she is doing, she has more techs at her disposal to forgive sloppy play on top of the ability to freeze. I think she is just annoying to fight, not hard, I never really fear her like decent McCree, I kind of just groan and engage and kind of sigh if she ice blocks before I kill her. Slows down the kill, I have to wait for her to pop out and hope she's not facing me to be able to immediately throw up an ice wall for another forgive. No idea why she can immediately act after ice block, that seriously needs a shake off animation or some crap.

biteren

tried out genji for the first time since the BETA, love everything except his main weapon, finding difficult to hit enemies with

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the OT title really should have been White, White, Blue, White tho

vixlar

tried out genji for the first time since the BETA, love everything except his main weapon, finding difficult to hit enemies with

I use it like this: If the enemy is unaware of you, static in a position, use main fire. If the enemy is moving, use secondary fire. And remember, you are not a sniper.

Zemm

I was shocked when I first picked her and started shooting normally

Had no clue Zen got a nerf prior to launch. Here I was thinking he was an OP badass, but I guess most people don't agree. Well, I hope it stays that way. Less pick competition and unlikely additional nerfs. Zen is a DPS machine with decent healing. It is so easy to mark and pick targets off from far away. If you have a Reinhardt on your team, you and one other attacker can move forward in his shield and drop anyone nearly instantly. I think his discord orb debuffs based on enemy HP % and not just a flat DPS boost. I have dropped too many Reinhardts, Winstons, D.Va's, etc solo with Zen for that not to be the case. Zen is all about positioning. You can easily mark targets through a crowd of your own players so keep things between you and enemies. Also, corner peeking is the best. Once marked, you can track that enemy through the wall and easily time charged shots for when they are about to peak themselves. Zen is still my favorite by far, but I tried Zarya last night for the first time and she was amazing too.

I guess I like the Z characters. They are opposite sides of the same coin. Zarya super tanky, Zen super squishy. Zarya for close range or AoE damage, Zen for long range precision. Zarya ult pulls in and damages, Zen radiates out the healing love. Really easy to manage the R1 and L1 skill balance on both two once you are used to one of them. They are now my go to priority picks, but I still often rotate through as many characters a night as possible. Keeps it fresh and by learning the intricacies of more characters, you can better defend against them or exploit them when you engage them.

Can GAF point me in the direction of some good YouTube videos/channels for map and hero guides? Especially map guides. I still often get turned around in maps, and better map knowledge would REALLY help me play Torb and Symmetra.

Symmetra on final objective is so useless. The spawn is right there, she doesn't have time to set up turrets and her weapon is pretty bad.

You aren't using her weapon right. The longer it is active, the more damage it does.

Notice here how my beam gets larger and more green as it stays connected: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGN48RDioyM

Also, while her Ult isn't as potent for the final point, it still help having a separate spawn exit from the most expected one that the entire attacking team is going to be watching.

Can GAF point me in the direction of some good YouTube videos/channels for map and hero guides? Especially map guides. I still often get turned around in maps, and better map knowledge would REALLY help me play Torb and Symmetra.

If you wanna get better with maps, load up an AI game until you get the feel for all of them.

yukonrye

I'm level 26 and was getting bummed about loot boxes always dropping ggbg. I've seen only a couple of purples and no legendaries. Last night I decided to try the new Hanzo/Genji mode and noticed my Hanzo had the young version skin. I first thought that the mode randomly assigned skins but everyone else was pretty much wearing the defaults. I go and check the hero gallery and sure enough I now have the young Hanzo skin. wtf??. I had let my son play for a while and he opened maybe 4 boxes from leveling. I ask him if he got the skin from a box and he's like "yeah, I actually got two of them in the same box". I ask him which 2 and he said they were both the same. Looking at my gold amount it adds up.

Kid got duplicate legendaries in 1 box.......

Then, after I finish playing last night I exit to the main screen and Symmetra comes up wearing the Vishkar skin. I'm thinking "that's weird" so I check back in the hero gallery and sure enough I now have that skin too.

I don't know if I should ban him from opening boxes since I want to be the one to see a yellow pop out, or...I should ban myself and only let him do it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
WU3l0cp.gif

Mupod

Had no clue Zen got a nerf prior to launch. Here I was thinking he was an OP badass, but I guess most people don't agree. Well, I hope it stays that way. Less pick competition and unlikely additional nerfs. Zen is a DPS machine with decent healing. It is so easy to mark and pick targets off from far away. If you have a Reinhardt on your team, you and one other attacker can move forward in his shield and drop anyone nearly instantly. I think his discord orb debuffs based on enemy HP % and not just a flat DPS boost. I have dropped too many Reinhardts, Winstons, D.Va's, etc solo with Zen for that not to be the case. Zen is all about positioning. You can easily mark targets through a crowd of your own players so keep things between you and enemies. Also, corner peeking is the best. Once marked, you can track that enemy through the wall and easily time charged shots for when they are about to peak themselves. Zen is still my favorite by far, but I tried Zarya last night for the first time and she was amazing too.

I guess I like the Z characters. They are opposite sides of the same coin. Zarya super tanky, Zen super squishy. Zarya for close range or AoE damage, Zen for long range precision. Zarya ult pulls in and damages, Zen radiates out the healing love. Really easy to manage the R1 and L1 skill balance on both two once you are used to one of them. They are now my go to priority picks, but I still often rotate through as many characters a night as possible. Keeps it fresh and by learning the intricacies of more characters, you can better defend against them or exploit them when you engage them.

those are my two favorites as well. I wouldn't mind trying Zenyatta on attack more often, maybe next time I see a Reinhardt. That's already how I play Soldier 76, who is really good at helping burn down marked people.

Sianos

the accuracy of widows AR is not great. it's decent damage but any character that can get close to a widow should be able to easily win that 1v1 fight.

But if it's weakness weakness is accuracy that makes zero sense for a hero who's primary strength is long range: she's not going to be using the assault rifle at medium to long range anyways.

And if the weakness is accuracy, that means the weapon is at its strongest in a close fight, which makes about zero sense.

I'd really love to join an Xbox One team here on GAF. ProgenitorRyan is my GamerTag. Shoot me a PM on here or send me a message on Live. I really love Overwatch, have been following it for a long time and I'd like to be part of a group or team that works together.

DedValve

Banned
omg, had the BEST turnaround ever.

It was objective + payload. The enemy team got the objective and roflstomped us all the way to the END. The bar for the payload was LITERALLY FILLED UP TO THE LAST PERCENT with 6 minutes to spare.

In those 6 minutes our team magically came together and we not only held our ground but we pushed the payload back a checkpoint. It was so unfuckingbelivable that we where able to handle that punishement. They nearly got it back at the end but with 10 seconds left they couldn't get it in time.

aeolist

Banned
Yeah, that's the argument that's been most convincing to me so far: if Blizzard thought having a Native American-stylized skin would be cool, why not a Native American character instead of someone play-acting as one? It does look like more people are starting to discuss this, though, for example this Twitter chain. Anyways, I don't necessarily want to turn this into a big thread derail; if other people think it's worthy of its own thread I'd be happy to take this discussion elsewhere.

there was a bit of talk in a thread about the skins and a few other people agreed, and i don't really think it's a derail

also if any company would take positive action on something like this i'd expect it to be blizzard

Rockyrock

I'm level 26 and was getting bummed about loot boxes always dropping ggbg. I've seen only a couple of purples and no legendaries. Last night I decided to try the new Hanzo/Genji mode and noticed my Hanzo had the young version skin. I first thought that the mode randomly assigned skins but everyone else was pretty much wearing the defaults. I go and check the hero gallery and sure enough I now have the young Hanzo skin. wtf??. I had let my son play for a while and he opened maybe 4 boxes from leveling. I ask him if he got the skin from a box and he's like "yeah, I actually got two of them in the same box". I ask him which 2 and he said they were both the same. Looking at my gold amount it adds up.

Kid got duplicate legendaries in 1 box.......

Then, after I finish playing last night I exit to the main screen and Symmetra comes up wearing the Vishkar skin. I'm thinking "that's weird" so I check back in the hero gallery and sure enough I now have that skin too.

I don't know if I should ban him from opening boxes since I want to be the one to see a yellow pop out, or...I should ban myself and only let him do it.

I cant wait to have kids so i can create little gaming factories and have them grind loot based games for me!

those are my two favorites as well. I wouldn't mind trying Zenyatta on attack more often, maybe next time I see a Reinhardt. That's already how I play Soldier 76, who is really good at helping burn down marked people.

It is really fun marking Reinhardts by squeezing angles. You can also really put a hurting on his shield HP by just doing a few fully charged shots. Like hitting the broad side of a barn. Wait till he flinches, mark, take him down or make the job easy for the team.

Dirtbag

I find the game balance pretty damn good. Hope they add some new tools to existing characters over time though.

Only thing that bugs me is the accuracy/damage of the Auto-turret is ridiculous. And watching a play of the game as a player is literally just buffing a turret seems pretty silly.

Alucrid

Banned
Yeah, that's the argument that's been most convincing to me so far: if Blizzard thought having a Native American-stylized skin would be cool, why not a Native American character instead of someone play-acting as one? It does look like more people are starting to discuss this, though, for example this Twitter chain. Anyways, I don't necessarily want to turn this into a big thread derail; if other people think it's worthy of its own thread I'd be happy to take this discussion elsewhere

what's even more annoying is that it could have been a sick horus skin instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom