• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockyrock

Symmetra on final objective is so useless. The spawn is right there, she doesn't have time to set up turrets and her weapon is pretty bad.

Yea her strength comes from the first objective on Defend maps.

that initial choke point of each map has a bunch of tiny bottlenecks which she can spam her turrets on to. On top of that she can place a portal to get her team back in the fight way faster. Both of these strengths are greatly diminished once you get to the second objective tho.

4F21926357FCD25BC202269231FC77CAB0E3DECD

"Zarya and her five adopted dads"

Finalow

I feel like a good Lucio is absolutely key in control games
I've noticed numerous times how you can literally swing the game with him, he seems the most important support in general tbh
he's the best support by far, and probably (hopefully) getting nerfed along with McCree.

he's also really fun to play. pretty much the only reason why I play support to begin with, since it's usually a role I don't like.

mbpm1

Seriously, it all sounds great and theory, but in practice without serious coordination (so 99% of times in pubs) it is extremely difficult to take it out. And we're talking about a turret, not a character, so it essentialy makes some matches 7 vs 6 (with one character having autoaim)
Sorry, that was what I forgot to mention.

You're getting nowhere without a team that listens, unfortunately. And if there's multiple bastions/turrets, good luck (assuming they aren't braindead).

Shifty

Yea her strength comes from the first objective on Defend maps.

that initial choke point of each map has a bunch of tiny bottlenecks which she can spam her turrets on to. On top of that she can place a portal to get her team back in the fight way faster. Both of these strengths are greatly diminished once you get to the second objective tho.

Yeah, generally you're better off switching to Torb if you lose the first point and still want to play a builder.

Rad-

I don't know any snipers that can shoot through walls. Any half-decent Torb will place the turret behind some wall when ranged engagement is not an option.

Hanzo can peek shot turrets without getting hit once. Or just run there and scattershot. Turret dies in one shot.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
can't play today and that annoys me..but my mood is so so bad and I would probably write mean stuff in the chat..so I'll stay out of the game

Mupod

I still like Zarya as my solo queue torbjorn/symmetra problem solver. I'm great at Pharah/Junkrat and if there's only one Torbjorn I basically delete him from the match. But if they are REALLY dug in with snipers etc, and my team won't do anything about it, Zarya is who I need. I can just be a constant nuisance safely wearing down turrets with orbs from cover while charging up to my ult, and then it's go time.

Apathy

Yeah, that's not a great argument for anything. Dude has an amazing kit of offensive, defensive, and control potential that other supports simply don't have.

Yeah and mercy has the most powerful ult in the game, and zen has the most throwput ult in the game. Why can't lucio fully res? that's unfair!!!!!!

MUnited83

For you.
Symmetra on final objective is so useless. The spawn is right there, she doesn't have time to set up turrets and her weapon is pretty bad.

There's more than enough time to set up turrets since you can set them up immediately, and her weapon is ridiculously good if you flank your enemies and circle strafe around them.

Take it from someone that won a defense match by doing a team kill with symmetra by catching the enemies by surprise behind and blasting them with the crazy ass laser that becomes very effective after charging a little bit.

zonezeus

Sorry, that was what I forgot to mention.

You're getting nowhere without a team that listens, unfortunately. And if there's multiple bastions/turrets, good luck.

My point is that everything else can be countered even when playing with randoms, by counterpicking another character. With Torb, when on the right map, I can't think of a single counterpick that could be reliable against him. Zarya maybe?

Xeteh

My point is that everything else can be countered even when playing with randoms, by counterpicking another character. With Torb, when on the right map, I can't think of a single counterpick that could be reliable against him. Zarya maybe?

McCree if he can get close enough. Stun the turret.

McCree is always the answer.

Zarya, Junkrat and Tracer are my most common picks to counter Torbjorn yeah.

Grewitch

play who you like.

Practice.

build your sniper ability

practice and adjust sensitivity to your liking. i had 1 great game in the first couple days of playing but lately i've been pretty bad with her. think i need to lower her and McCree's sensitivity more.

Thanks for the support and advice, people. Since I rarely play multiplayer games and shooters, I get worried about dragging the team down. However, I'm finding the game really fun to play, and even dying doesn't seem to bring any frustration. I'm wondering how it manages to avoid that.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I laughed and then thought "Can he really do that?" My gut says no, but I've never seen anyone try it.

Flashbangs stun Torbjorn turrets. Reinhardt's pin will also stun turrets.

As far as Torbjorn counters go it is pretty straightforward, you want indirect fire or high alpha. Junkrat and Pharah are both really good because if there is a Torbjorn trying to keep the turret alive your splash damage will kill him too. High alpha means Widow or Hanzo. Soldier76 pretty good too. D.Va pretty good. I mean when you get down to it there are more heroes that can deal with a Torbjorn turret than not.

The important bit is killing the Torbjorn. Take his turret out he'll just drop another one. Do not under any circumstances underestimate his primary and alt fire either. While there are a lot of knuckle-dragging hammer-swingers out there there are some who've realized how devastating he can be simply shooting people. :) Very high damage, large magazine gun he's packing.

pigeon

Banned

Any tank! Zarya and D.Va chew up turrets. Junkrat handles it really easily. Pharah can do it with care. Snipers aren't great but they can handle it. Lucio, 76 and Bastion have self-sustain to poke turrets out. Genji's great since his shurikens are slow but turrets don't move and he can deflect for free (although turret DPS is so lousy that you won't kill the turret with a single deflect). I haven't actually tried to clean up turrets with Zenyatta but I'm pretty confident he can do it.

I can assure you, this works in practice. Torb is a counter to a few characters -- notably Tracer, Mei, maybe Reaper. But the turret is extremely fragile when he doesn't have Molten Core up. If you're losing to Torb you're losing to a team that's coordinating and forcing you into a crossfire, or you're just playing the wrong guys.

Sorry ISOM12, I just got completely wrecked and I'm so upset about playing with a team of tricklers that I don't even want to bother playing again today.

Sure, the entire team is on the payload, let's go in one at a time!

mbpm1

Thanks for the support and advice, people. Since I rarely play multiplayer games and shooters, I get worried about dragging the team down. However, I'm finding the game really fun to play, and even dying doesn't seem to bring any frustration. I'm wondering how it manages to avoid that.
Yeah, I thought constantly seeing myself get rekt in the kill can would be demoralizing but its not so bad

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
solo queue, pugs losing, we cant break through anubis cause of widow and turrets

I say: "we need some snipers for those turrets and widow guys"

...and we adjust. I change from Winston to Hanzo, someone goes Rein, someone else goes Hanzo also, we destroy. That felt...refreshing

Ardenyal

Starting to feel burnt out by this game. Or rather the community. So fucking tired of being the only one playing for the team. If you pick tank, the healer is going to be Zenyatta more interested in chucking marbles. If you go healer then the tank will be D.Va flying around playing CoD.

Fuck carrying these idiots to victory.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Starting to feel burnt out by this game. Or rather the community. So fucking tired of being the only one playing for the team. If you pick tank, the healer is going to be Zenyatta more interested in chucking marbles. If you go healer then the tank will be D.Va.

People will open up as they learn, plus competitive will likely help, and there's always GAF games.

Starting to feel burnt out by this game. Or rather the community. So fucking tired of being the only one playing for the team. If you pick tank, the healer is going to be Zenyatta more interested in chucking marbles. If you go healer then the tank will be D.Va flying around playing CoD.

Lay off pub games for a while. Team up with some Gaffers. Trust me, I was starting to feel burnt out on the game when I was playing a lot of pubs. Teaming up with people makes the game way more enjoyable.

The worst is when you are playing healer on attack and everyone else picks snipers and squishy offense guys.

And your teammates all refuse to push forward toward the objective. At all. Just hang back around the corner and don't move forward. Then your opponents notice and switch to torbs and bastions. Then as people get mowed down they sprint right back and get killed again 1 v 5.

And then it gets worse.

Ardenyal

People will open up as they learn, plus competitive will likely help, and there's always GAF games.

The pub games were better last week. After level 30 people just lock their desired characters right at the start and whatever comp comes out that's what we roll with the entire round.

Lay off pub games for a while. Team up with some Gaffers. Trust me, I was starting to feel burnt out on the game when I was playing a lot of pubs. Teaming up with people makes the game way more enjoyable.

Organized games are tons better but it's always a hassle getting a full group. Waiting 15 minutes between matches for queue and people getting drinks/going to toilet.

Lesath

Yeah and mercy has the most powerful ult in the game, and zen has the most throwput ult in the game. Why can't lucio fully res? that's unfair!!!!!!

Don't be childish, we're having a discussion. I'd say Lucio's ult is as good as the others'. Keeping 3-4 people alive during pushes (whether the enemy's or your own) is at least as (if not more) powerful on objectives than resing a handful of people (as in, maybe more than one) that managed to die at the same time at a good place where they don't act as cannon fodder for a Bastion or something.

Grief.exe

As far as Torbjorn counters go it is pretty straightforward, you want indirect fire or high alpha. Junkrat and Pharah are both really good because if there is a Torbjorn trying to keep the turret alive your splash damage will kill him too. High alpha means Widow or Hanzo. Soldier76 pretty good too. D.Va pretty good. I mean when you get down to it there are more heroes that can deal with a Torbjorn turret than not.

The important bit is killing the Torbjorn. Take his turret out he'll just drop another one. Do not under any circumstances underestimate his primary and alt fire either. While there are a lot of knuckle-dragging hammer-swingers out there there are some who've realized how devastating he can be simply shooting people. :) Very high damage, large magazine gun he's packing.

Can't hook turrets with roadhog though. Seems like a strange oversight.

D i Z

You know your team ain't shit when your Zenyatta is the only one contesting the point with or without his Ult up.

part of the reason i feel weird about pharah is because native americans are basically never represented in media unless it's as a costume like this. there's mexican cultural appropriation but mexican people also have some face time in games and movies, it's just not the same for native americans.

Yeah, that's the argument that's been most convincing to me so far: if Blizzard thought having a Native American-stylized skin would be cool, why not a Native American character instead of someone play-acting as one? It does look like more people are starting to discuss this, though, for example this Twitter chain. Anyways, I don't necessarily want to turn this into a big thread derail; if other people think it's worthy of its own thread I'd be happy to take this discussion elsewhere.

I have won so many defense games on the last point with symmetra. The team gets so focused on pushing and your team is so concentrated on trying to stop them that you can place turrets nearly willy nilly.

Also her gun is amazing in the last point where it's nearly all close quarters.

That's how I feel too. Granted, most of my experience with defending the second point is on Anubis, which is already pretty difficult for attackers. But to me, what makes Symmetra viable or not viable on the final point is more a matter of map layout than how close we are or aren't to the spawn. Symmetra's turrets excel when you can place them at chokepoints in ways that aren't too exposed and/or offer unexpected angles of attack. On, say, the second point of Hanamura, I feel like the point is way too open and there are so few places to hide turrets that I would switch characters for sure, but I also kind of feel this way about Hollywood's first point (though that at least has the car and that doorway on the building that leads to the balcony overlooking the path from the attacker spawn). Anubis, on the other hand, works really well.

Zaventem

So i'm reading that quote about potential changes, " For D.Va, meanwhile, Goodman said she had lower damage because she's a very mobile character that is difficult to kill. " I really disagree about the very moblie thing. They thought it was a good idea to slow her movement while shooting which sucks. Giving her the standard movement when she's pumping bullets would be a huge buff without even touching anything else.

Gryph

So i'm reading that quote about potential changes, " For D.Va, meanwhile, Goodman said she had lower damage because she's a very mobile character that is difficult to kill. " I really disagree about the very moblie thing. They thought it was a good idea to slow her movement while shooting which sucks. Giving her the standard movement when she's pumping bullets would be a huge buff without even touching anything else.

I always assumed this was a trade-off for not having to reload...

It's been a week, don't expect the general populace to start adapting to the way the game is played right off the bat.

I've already started seeing things like double Winstons in control while no one picks Hanzo/Widow. Give the community time to actually grow.
I always assumed this was a trade-off for not having to reload...
It feels like not having to reload is such a massive drawback that the gun isn't worth it. You don't have to reload but it does mediocre damage, slows you down, is useless at long range, has a mediocre rate of fire and on top of that it spreads. Cool, I guess?

Lunar15

People not sticking to objectives is why I play Lucio nearly all the time. I just stick to the objective with healing turned on and people usually flock to the point/payload.

My win percentage when I'm Lucio is considerably higher than when I don't choose to play as him. He just seems so crucial for nearly any objective and requires the least coordination between teammates.

Mupod

solo queue, pugs losing, we cant break through anubis cause of widow and turrets

I say: "we need some snipers for those turrets and widow guys"

...and we adjust. I change from Winston to Hanzo, someone goes Rein, someone else goes Hanzo also, we destroy. That felt...refreshing

reminds me of yesterday when I was getting a bit annoyed as zenyatta being the only one holding down the payload on a dorado defense after we got our shit wrecked through the first two checkpoints. We had a torbjorn running around and I'd never gotten any armor from him. So I speak up and ask for it - he apologizes saying he was getting focused too hard to get scrap. Minute or so later I start noticing he's found some scrap and is making like these huge hail mary passes of armor packs from the rooftop he's on. With my newfound armor I'm able to give the Tracer that was after me some shiny metal balls in the face and we actually pushed the cart most of the way back to the second stage.

communication goes a long way and I get when you just don't feel like talking to randoms. I sure don't, most of the time I just turn my brain off and assume they won't listen anyways. But if you ask nicely it might actually work out. I've definitely noticed, on PC at least, a lot of people have mics and just aren't using them.

Ladekabel

Had the best time ever as Lucio on Ilios. First phase your shockwave is so damn amazing. Right at the beginning I pushed a mei and a frozen Roadhog to death which got highlight of the game. Pushed a few more off the cliff. Never had more fun with Overwatch. Literally laughing my ass off.

Apathy

Don't be childish, we're having a discussion. I'd say Lucio's ult is as good as the others'. Keeping 3-4 people alive during pushes (whether the enemy's or your own) is at least as (if not more) powerful on objectives than resing a handful of people (as in, maybe more than one) that managed to die at the same time at a good place where they don't act as cannon fodder for a Bastion or something.

Yeah but you are acting childish too, you don't want to take an actual argument of "not everyone is equal" and say it's not a valid argument. It is a perfect argument because if everyone has the exact same toolkit (or lackthere of) then we all might as well be playing the original doom where everyone is just a space marine and nothing else.

Everyone has positives and negatives and lucio is strong on offense but I'd still say hes less strong on D than Mercy because the ability to plant yourself in choke points and not have to be extending plays to her strengths

Xeteh

Had the best time ever as Lucio on Ilios. First phase your shockwave is so damn amazing. Right at the beginning I pushed a mei and a frozen Roadhog to death which got highlight of the game. Pushed a few more off the cliff. Never had more fun with Overwatch. Literally laughing my ass off.

My favorite is hooking people in to the hole with Roadhog. Just that arrogance of not even firing his gun while they drop in.

matmanx1

Mei is probably the most frustrating hero to play against. She has no real weaknesses, good range, good crowd control and can 1 on 1 most hereos at close range with little effort.

You can bait McCrees flashbang making him fairly harmless, and you can bait Roadhogs hook making him easy to take down at range, but you can't really "bait" Mei any way. You just have to catch her alone from behind and hope you have enough health to kill her twice.

Play more Lucio! Your mobility makes you much harder to freeze, your healing makes you harder to kill and you can alt fire her eskimo butt out of the room and out of your face.

As Lucio, I have no fear of Mei.

Play more Lucio! Your mobility makes you much harder to freeze, your healing makes you harder to kill and you can alt fire her eskimo butt out of the room and out of your face.

Agreed to an extent. Until you get a Mei with aim who right clicks your face to near no health while wall-running. Not an issue with most of the Mei player base, but when you get that good one I'm instantly bouncing to another wall stat.

R0ckman

I sniped a Widow as Torb once lol. Just hid behind some enviorment and lined up where I knew her head was and pop.

BigDug13

I fear Mei ult though as Lucio. If she catches you in it, game over. I've hopped all over and around the payload keeping Mei and company away from me. She kept trying to get me but nope. Until she threw down that snow storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom