• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

A friend of mine decided to treat me & used his credit card to get me 50 loot crates, as a super-early B-Day present.

Imagine my luck that NONE of those damn crates had given me a single legendary costume. Not a stinking one. ;_;

Wow you have terrible luck.

Did you get legendary coin drops at least?

Zaph

Also, is it my imagination or is Mercy's beam range shorter than the range of Guardian Angel ? If so then wouldn't that effectively reduce the range of your Guardian Angel if you got your beam active ? In certain situations that is.

Yes, GA has a much longer range than the beam, but the beam has a very high tolerance once it's connected. That combined with the game's high server lag/tick-rate means you can zip back to people moments after it looks like the beam has stopped healing them as the game is still registering you as connected.

A friend of mine decided to treat me & used his credit card to get me 50 loot crates, as a super-early B-Day present.

Imagine my luck that NONE of those damn crates had given me a single legendary costume. Not a stinking one. ;_;

Have to wonder if Overwatch has (or will implement) a loot crate legendary modifier similar to Hearthstone's hidden 'Pity Timer'?

Contents of my lv20 crate:

fBDFHBk.jpg

sorry
notsorry

Mupod

I hope they buff zen, maybe lower his damage and increase survivability.

I'd rather have the damage honestly, unless we're talking a new defensive mechanic rather than a flat hp boost. I like him fine as a character you can't play in any match but I am getting a bit tired of the people who think he sucks.

I took some suggestions from people here and played him on a Hanamura attack. We had a Reinhardt and I pretty much just stuck to his ass the whole match. By the time we took the first point I had gold in every category...didn't last but I died maybe once the whole round. Zenyatta is surprisingly good for turret killing, I typically only play him on defense so the amount of times I've fought Torb on him are basically 0. Our big game winning push was me hitting transcendence, Reinhardt whacking the turret, then coming out of my ult and dealing with the molten core Torbjorn. I'd taken out a few with a charged RMB too.

wat. I'm assuming you got gold instead a few times, right? I think right now I'd rather another 500g drop than another costume I don't want.

LiK

That's sad, I've gotten a legendary with every bundle I bought. From both the 5 and 11 packs. I thought buying them gave you higher chances.

Which is why most symmetra plays, use the turrets as anti flank tools.

As a Symmetra player, I concur.

Some teams don't know what to do. Other, wiser players figure it out and start countering.

What I've been doing is paying more attention to what turret placements last the longest. What angles and positions are just out of splash damage reach (or a giant hammer arc).

Yep this is how I've approached it too. Take Hanamura for example. The health spawn by the door and the side entrance to the first control point are great spots for some turrets because they either deny a respite spot or warn you of enemy players sneaking in to the side. If you see turrets being destroyed that's fine too because you've basically outed an enemy flank.

Heng

This is the problem with him and Symetra, people see them and assume the healing is covered. I mean, sure play whatever you like and I don't ever tell or ask people to switch heroes, but Lucio and Mercy should be moved to another section called "healers" and another 1-2 heroes added to that eventually.
I think Mercy or Lucio are basically required in any given match. I'm sure you could win without either one of them, but you would either have to play against noobs or have really good players on your team. Having a separate class for healers is a good idea IMO. Hopefully they'll add more healers that are fun to play for those of us who don't normally heal.

That's sad, I've gotten a legendary with every bundle I bought. From both the 5 and 11 packs. I thought buying them gave you higher chances.

Lucky. Think the only legendary I got was when I manage to get enough coins to buy the skin I want. Other than that, zilch.

Repo Man

Yes, GA has a much longer range than the beam, but the beam has a very high tolerance once it's connected. That combined with the game's high server lag/tick-rate means you can zip back to people moments after it looks like the beam has stopped healing them as the game is still registering you as connected.

Hmm must experiment more. I suppose if I flick back to having to hold the button to keep the beam active then that way I should be free to Guardian Angel wherever I please as long as I let go of the beam or alternatively GA to beam target, this way I'd sort of get best of both worlds and the default setting is actually making a bit more sense. Long story short... Potential l2p issue detected on my end.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
God damn, I am really addicted to this game. My morning routine has now included playing 2 games before work -_-

Mupod

Yep this is how I've approached it too. Take Hanamura for example. The health spawn by the door and the side entrance to the first control point are great spots for some turrets because they either deny a respite spot or warn you of enemy players sneaking in to the side. If you see turrets being destroyed that's fine too because you've basically outed an enemy flank.

Hanamura is one of my favorite Symmetra maps and I do the same thing. Either that room or the one behind the point. There's always a Genji or something trying to get back there.

She's also very good as anti-Reinhardt. Turrets essentially stop him from moving forward with the shield, since his movement speed gets brought to near-zero. He also can't blow them up easily so if his team isn't helping then that's it. And of course your orb goes right through the shield.

I always switch off after the first point though. Last night I went on a crazy Widow streak after switching off Symmetra on Hanamura. Fixing my sensitivity really did work wonders there, I may need to tweak it further on other characters too.

I had time for like 3 games last night and two of them involved the other team having 5 Toblerones and 1 Tracer.

I'm sure it's partially because we all were bad but that shit is annoying. Especially on Hanamura where I tried to pick a sniper to counter but couldn't find any good sniping spots.
And when we did have enough defense and long range to take out the turrets their Tracer would just shred us from behind.

I'm thinking about it like this. If McCree catches Trace/Genji/Reaper in a hallway they deserve to die, straight up. With a highly skilled player those three can be an absolute nuisance (especially Tracer) that have fantastic escape options. If they get close enough to McCree where he's aware of their presence, they fucked up. If they round a corner and McCree is there, they fucked up. If they run up on McCree's team capturing a point and get in the middle of the throwdown, they fucked up. The problem is McCree can kill characters without great movement options (the tanks) with the double fan combo. If you wanna argue his primary fire is too good that's one thing but the flash + fan combo wasn't an accident.

I feel that they deserve to be at a disadvantage, not that they deserve to automatically die regardless of of a players skill level because they stepped into his range. Everything in the games design should be at least partially skill facilitated, and McCree's go-to kill method isn't that at all.

Even if McCree didn't have a stun at all he would still be at an advantage in those circumstances. Stun has absurd utility, putting aside the instant-kill, it can also pull just about anyone out of their ult. Genji, Reaper, Roadhog etc. he pulls them right out of it. Not only is McCree absurdly good in his own right, his stun makes him a counterpick to all other on the ground offensive options. Logically, Pharah would be his counterpick since he is stuck on the ground and has high close range efficacy, but she's not, in 4 shots he can down her at mid-long range, even faster with a bit of luck and fan the hammer.

Only tracer seems like a counterpick to McCree, but they seem pretty even. The problem is that you have this idea that he is 'bad at range' therefore he is balanced out by this weakness, but he isn't bad at range at all and at the same time he is so good at close range that he completely nullifies the efficacy of other offensive heroes.

I think fan the hammer is fun and the fan the hammer roll combo actually requires some skill with the opportunity for opponents to outplay you, it's just the stun and the ranged damage that fan the hammer can do that are an issue. Fan the hammer should have more damage drop off, and I think his flashbang should be a blind, not a stun, providing players some opportunity to counter with their kit.

PatjuhR

Same. I got Hitman Episode 3 and the new Witcher expansion waiting for me, fully downloaded. I come home and play Overwatch until 1 am. :|

Yeah, damnit. I got the whole the Uncharted 1,2 and 3 pack together with MGS for my birthday (early november) and I did the first 2 missions from MGS and haven't even touched Uncharted. First it was Rocket League and NBA2k16 and now it's Overwatch. Can't see myself playing another game for a while.

Hanamura is one of my favorite Symmetra maps and I do the same thing. Either that room or the one behind the point. There's always a Genji or something trying to get back there.

She's also very good as anti-Reinhardt. Turrets essentially stop him from moving forward with the shield, since his movement speed gets brought to near-zero. He also can't blow them up easily so if his team isn't helping then that's it. And of course your orb goes right through the shield.

I always switch off after the first point though. Last night I went on a crazy Widow streak after switching off Symmetra on Hanamura. Fixing my sensitivity really did work wonders there, I may need to tweak it further on other characters too.

Hanamura is one of the maps where I feel Symmetra can still be good on the second point solely because of the multiple angles of approach. Being able to warn/punish those can be key to stopping a successful flank/push. Yeah her ultimate is kind of wasted but it can shave a few seconds off which can be critical to contesting. Any of them capture->payload maps you definitely need to switch off of her.

God damn, I am really addicted to this game. My morning routine has now included playing 2 games before work -_-

I think I'm a little addicted too. I've been sleeping 5-6 hours a night since the launch and neglect the household stuff as much as possible. I even skipped getting wasted last weekend.

Overwatch be healing muh liver.

LiK

My favorite Symmetra map is the Russia one. I can dominate the defense with her even if my team isn't the best.

Why is Symmetra classed as a support character? She is very similar to Torbjörn but her sentries are short range rather than mid range and provides a shield rather than armour.
Her turrets are meant to cover flanks with crowd control as opposed to outright killing. She's a support in the sense that she covers the backline as opposed to be in the fray like the other 3.

ramyeon

Man, I feel robbed. Had my best game yet as D.va on defense. Kill streak of 11 and then another of 17 and a total of 29. Heaps of triple and double kills both with and without ultimate.

POTG goes to a triple kill from a Reaper with his ultimate. Didn't even get a mention in the votes despite getting the most eliminations in my team :/

Interfectum

Last night my first game was a REALLY, REALLY bad team. I mean a team that would send GAFers rage quitting and coming to the forum saying team dependent games are shit.

Instead of getting mad, I rolled Reinhardt and spammed over and over again "group with me" and "need healing." I stayed near the payload (which was still at the beginning 2 minutes into the game) and pushed it myself. I'd die, go back again and push, while spamming need healing and group up. I guess my team got the message, they started switching up heroes and actually helping me. We won the match and at the end I got upvoted like 9 times. Feels good man.

jorgejjvr

Man, I feel robbed. Had my best game yet as D.va on defense. Kill streak of 11 and then another of 17 and a total of 29. Heaps of triple and double kills both with and without ultimate.

POTG goes to a triple kill from a Reaper with his ultimate. Didn't even get a mention in the votes despite getting the most t eliminations in my team :/
*hugs*

Very similar things happen to me as Zarya unfortunately

Sulik2

I got a legendary skin at 22 finally, of course it was for Tracer who I don't play. Wish I could trade it.

I think I found a complaint for this game, the achievements are horrible. Destroy three symettra teleports in one game? I've only fought like two Symettra's period in hours of play. They need to redesign some of these cheevos.

I basically never play Reinhardt. I'm too twitchy and aggressive and gotta go all the time in this game.

But then I pulled the Stoneheart legendary skin yesterday, so it's time for me to start playing him.

I apologize to any GAFfers I play with in advance. Hope you guys like having a shield in front of you and then suddenly not because "oh, an enemy, let me pin their ass."

The key to being a good Reinhardt is understanding when to do this. In overtime at the last capture that smash kill coming from Rein can save the game. When walking through a road, not so much.

Fighting a Tracer with 100 extra health...

This is why I love playing Soldier 76 with his Ult for Tracers.

Same. I got Hitman Episode 3 and the new Witcher expansion waiting for me, fully downloaded. I come home and play Overwatch until 1 am. :|

All of the new Fallout 4 DLC for me, and same. As somebody who basically hated playing anything MP before this game, it astonishes me how much this has hooked me. It's probably going to take No Man's Sky to get me to play anything else, and now that that's several months away...

Ardenyal

If I have the US version of the game on PS4 is it possible to buy loot packs on an EU account from the euro store?

ed: Tested with 2€ box and it works.

LiK

Whatever, I got the trophy already so who knows. I was counting how many i placed on one wall to get it. I'll double check my gameplay clip.

My current objective is to kill the same player twice with Hanzo's ult.

I've noticed it was possible when a guy almost did it to me, as I popped back into battle his ult came through a wall at me as I dashed forward with mercy. Left me with about 40 health after having just died to it on the payload.

Blues1990

Wow you have terrible luck.

Did you get legendary coin drops at least?
Out of the 50 crates? It only happened twice. And it's pure horse shit, if you ask me.

Have to wonder if Overwatch has (or will implement) a loot crate legendary modifier similar to Hearthstone's hidden 'Pity Timer'?
If it means that it's much more balanced than my luck of the draw, then sure. I don't play Heartstone, so I wouldn't know.

Contents of my lv20 crate:

fBDFHBk.jpg

sorry
notsorry
It's cool. I DON'T CARE AT ALL!
I care immensely.

Apparently, that's not the case with me. Well, at least I can warn anyone else not to waste their money with attempting what my friend did for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom