• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrArchon

Ok am hooked. Played 2hrs tonight jumping between Bastion, Solder 76 and Reindhart(sp?). Can't put my finger on what kept dragging me in but hot damn it's fun.

Playing on pc, although I couldn't hear any voice chat from my team??

No one uses voice chat. I think I've heard one person use a mic in like 12 hours of playtime on PC and it was some squeaky voiced kid that sounded so bad that I had to mute it on the spot.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Been using controller on both PC (i know, i know) and console.

First thing I did for each was up my sensitivity to 55 horizontal and vertical.

Am at the point now where i can up it to 60 i think. Aiming for 70 eventually.

No one uses voice chat. I think I've heard one person use a mic in like 12 hours of playtime on PC and it was some squeaky voiced kid that sounded so bad that I had to mute it on the spot.

On PC, i use Discord exclusively, so I just drag my whole team in there.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Been using controller on both PC (i know, i know) and console.

First thing I did for each was up my sensitivity to 55 horizontal and vertical.

Am at the point now where i can up it to 60 i think. Aiming for 70 eventually.

Why on earth would you use a controller on PC!? You're just gimping yourself, tbh.

nOoblet16

Being shot behind a wall is overwhelmingly caused by other players having high pings and Overwatch's favor the shooter rules (which are mitigated somewhat by exceptions for certain evasive abilities). Tickrate is a relatively minor factor.

He specifically mentioned 35ms of latency, that's not high ping.
In that situation it's definitely tick rate because the server didn't update his position.

Why are you even defending this? This is a proven real issue in fast games where you can cover a lot of distance in the blink of an eye, with extensive evidence behind it.

Klyka

Banned
Tickrate apologists are the worst.

It's 2016. We have competitive games.
They need to be competitive on the technical side as well.

20 tickrate on a 6vs6 entirely competitive game is abysmal.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hate losing games when you roll over everything except the last choke point

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Why on earth would you use a controller on PC!? You're just gimping yourself, tbh.

Familiarity. I used it all through closed and open beta.

I mean, i'm doing well enough with it. It isn't like other FPS games on PC i've played where i can feel, and see the difference between mouse + keyboard and controller.

The characters I main are probably a reason why as well.

20-something Kill Streak with Symmetra yesterday.

Defending the first point on Hanamura.

Definitely my favorite Defense hero.

Liked her in the Beta, but then really stayed away from her until now.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The characters I main are probably a reason why as well.

This makes a big difference. There were certain characters I didn't use on PS4 that I can now use on PC. I tended to pick the characters that didnt' rely on fast movements or precision when using a controller.

Mupod

I wish there was some way you could see if someone is a sniper "main" and opt out of the match penalty-free-_-

could probably look em up real quick on masteroverwatch.

I should start doing this whenever I'm on a roll with countersniping. I want to know if these are people who have put 30-40 hours into one character. I was in the zone a few times last night, haven't really played snipers much in FPSes since TF2 in 2008. But as 76 would say, I've still got it.
Until I run into someone actually good.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
This makes a big difference. There were certain characters I didn't use on PS4 that I can now use on PC. I tended to pick the characters that didnt' rely on fast movements or precision when using a controller.

Yup. Junkrat, Torb, Symmetra, Reinhardt, S76 and Winston.

charsace

Watching morons hang back and snipe when we are attacking an objective just drives me crazy. WE ARE LOSING, MOVE, FUCKERS.

*snipe*

*snipe*

People don't understand how push up while sniping. Widowmaker is designed to push up on the back line and snipe. And it becomes even more effective with reinhard and lucio on the field.

could probably look em up real quick on masteroverwatch.

I should start doing this whenever I'm on a roll with countersniping. I want to know if these are people who have put 30-40 hours into one character. I was in the zone a few times last night, haven't really played snipers much in FPSes since TF2 in 2008. But as 76 would say, I've still got it.
Until I run into someone actually good.
On console (probably PC as well if I had to guess) you can go to the social tab and look at any of the other players in the games stats by clicking career profile.
Really fun to find someone who has put 90% of their playtime into one character and hard counter them, then watch them panic but refuse to change.

He specifically mentioned 35ms of latency, that's not high ping.
In that situation it's definitely tick rate because the server didn't update his position.

Why are you even defending this? This is a proven real issue in fast games where you can cover a lot of distance in the blink of an eye, with extensive evidence behind it.
It doesn't matter if he has 35ms of latency if the player shooting at him doesn't!

I am defending this because it is very close to a non-issue for the overwhelming majority of humans, who cannot actually detect the difference between a 20Hz and 60Hz server. Tickrate is not the problem; latency is the problem. And tickrate is a very small factor in the latency you experience — maybe an extra 35ms at its absolute worst.

Would things improve if Blizzard made 60Hz standard? Yes. Would it stop you getting shot behind walls or having an asynchronous experience? No.

I've yet to quit a match but usually if you see widowmaker and hanzo get selected in the first few seconds of the match, you are already dead.
Life is probably different on console but I truly feel all characters can be countered, including dominant snipers. It can take dedication but I feel if we are being hosed by single player if I switch to a counter and focus on them I significantly reduce their effectiveness. Maybe not win the match but I win in my heart. I too have never quit a match, you still get xp for losing, and if it's a short match, all the merciful better.

matmanx1

Left clicking as McCree and missing a Pharah in the air, while ur crosshair is dead on her is starting to get old. -_-

That's latency, not tickrate. The game favors the shooter. If the server sees your cursor over a body it will count it as a hit even if the other person has moved. Something else happened here.

Again, many of the issues people are having are latency issues and not the cause of the tickrate. A higher tickrate is always preferable but will not overcome latency issues caused by isp's or connection issues. I won't apologize for Blizzard's decision to use the 20 tick-rate but there's a lot of stuff being blamed on tick rate in this thread that is just misinformation.

kromeo

I've yet to quit a match but usually if you see widowmaker and hanzo get selected in the first few seconds of the match, you are already dead.

The accuracy of some of them just seems impossible to me, particularly with hanzo

When i see someone headshot a full speed lucio from the other side of the map i have to wonder how much time they've spent that character...

Again, many of the issues people are having are latency issues and not the cause of the tickrate. A higher tickrate is always preferable but will not overcome latency issues caused by isp's or connection issues. I won't apologize for Blizzard's decision to use the 20 tick-rate but there's a lot of stuff being blamed on tick rate in this thread that is just misinformation.
Yes. Thank you. At this point I want them to go 60Hz just to see people start to blame their deaths on the servers not being 120Hz.

LiK

L2 to HOVER!?!?!?!?

Welp looks like I am playing a lot more Pharah. She was already my favorite offensive character, but this is a revelation.

Damn right, my friend. I swear Blizzard fucked up and should've said L2 and not X for hover on screen. Cuz who the hell can play her like that?

Also, did you guys know you can change the key bindings on consoles too? You can even change them based on per character.

Raptor

Played against 3 Torbjörn and we got destroyed god damn, how do you counter that?

I get close with Reaper but I get killed instantly.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Damn right, my friend. I swear Blizzard fucked up and should've said L2 and not X for hover on screen. Cuz who the hell can play her like that?

Also, did you guys know you can change the key bindings on consoles too? You can even change them based on per character.

You can change their crosshairs individually, and even make mobile characters auto wall climb too. Even Junkrat's tyre.

Kuro

I'm done with the game until they introduce a no party mode Sick of getting stomped by organized teams every damn time.

I haven't seen a lot of discussion of this (possibly because it's a non-factor) but what's the impact of higher tickrate on client-side performance? I don't mean network, but CPU usage. Presumably, if the game client is receiving three times as much data, it has to do something with all those updates. Is there a significant performance impact there, or is it negligible? I'm asking because I wonder if the 20hz rate was chosen to help out low-end machines, but obviously that wouldn't make much sense if the performance impact was minimal.

I'm done with the game until they introduce a no party mode Sick of getting stomped by organized teams every damn time.

How can you tell if a team is grouped?

SDCowboy

The matchmaking seems terrible this morning on PC. It's taking forever to find a group, and it when it has, the skill level and player levels seem completely out of whack. lol

Played against 3 Torbjörn and we got destroyed god damn, how do you counter that?

I get close with Reaper but I get killed instantly.

You can't do it on your own but if three of you focus a turret each and go Pharah or Soldier they are easy to take down, even Lucio with his self heal is good. Soldier I find best because you can just plonk your heal down at a corner and peak out to take down the turret and still come away with full health.

Heng

I usually pick it within seconds to claim the sniper role, but when I see someone else pick him/her, I usually just play tank/healer or any other role that needs to be filled. I hate it when those guys who force me off sniper can't aim and don't help push objective... :/

RowdyReverb

I've got the day off, wife and baby are out, and the weather is shit (yay Houston), so I'm going to binge hard today.
XBL tag is RowdyReverb. Shoot me a msg/inv if you need a buddy

kromeo

I haven't seen a lot of discussion of this (possibly because it's a non-factor) but what's the impact of higher tickrate on client-side performance? I don't mean network, but CPU usage. Presumably, if the game client is receiving three times as much data, it has to do something with all those updates. Is there a significant performance impact there, or is it negligible? I'm asking because I wonder if the 20hz rate was chosen to help out low-end machines, but obviously that wouldn't make much sense if the performance impact was minimal.

How can you tell if a team is grouped?

I would guess it more just because of the huge number of people playing and they don't want a repeat of diablo 3 launch

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
If you quit mid-match, does that count as a loss? A buddy I play with asked me and I did not have an answer for him.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
never can fathom negative responses to loot box purchases. Perhaps he's got way more money then time

Regardless, we all benefit from loot box purchases. hopefully the funds goes towards more skins, etc

All that being said I havent spent any money on loot boxes

I don't mind people buying boxes, after all it's what going to give us free content, but assuming he is only lvl 30 or 40, that means he bought 260 boxes, which is around 200$!

What I meant, is that I can't see myself spending hundreds of dollars on random loot. Maybe a few dollars one day, but that's about it.

Matchmaking already factors in group size, I'm afraid. If you go in solo, you will mostly be matched against other solo players. Or you'll be added to a group of five versus another group of five with a solo player.

Life is probably different on console but I truly feel all characters can be countered, including dominant snipers. It can take dedication but I feel if we are being hosed by single player if I switch to a counter and focus on them I significantly reduce their effectiveness. Maybe not win the match but I win in my heart. I too have never quit a match, you still get xp for losing, and if it's a short match, all the merciful better.

I worded it poorly but what I mean is, if your team has instant picking widows and hanzo's you are going to lose, because 90% of the time that happens on pc from my experiance in 300 or so matches so far.

20 tickrate + extrapolated/predicted movement = Widowmaker OP. It's becoming seriously frustrating.

Yager

Banned
I really need to give her a try. She's one of my least used characters but I've been practicing a bit with her in bot matches and it's really shown me the utility of the ice wall. Now if I could just get into the habit of remembering to hit Shift when I'm getting shot at...

If you learn how to move and make an effective use of the wall, she's great. Not only because you can delay the enemy push a few seconds, but also to trap enemies. She's listed as a defense characer, but used right she's also pretty useful for offense. Oh, and there's nothing better than watching an enemy waste their ult while you're insde your little ice shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom