• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

arimanius

this Torb thing must be a console problem because I barely see any torbs lately on PC, and the rare times I use mine people just rofl my turrets with ease

I see people use Torb all the time. Even on offense *sigh*

Yeah, like the double McCree people keep talking about. I almost never see this on PC.

Ok, now I know you guys are just fooling now. Double McCree was half my games last night on PC.

pigeon

Banned
So do you guys think there's any truth to Blizzard's matchmaking trying to keep people at 50% win rate (at least playing solo)?

I only really have myself a friend's experience to go on, but both of us are almost constantly at 50% after about 200 matches each. If I dip a few below, I will get into games where we stomp the opponents and if I go some games above, I will get matched with people <level 10 or people who are terrible and get stomped back down to 50%.

This is all based on solo experience, of course.

Been seeing a lot of topics about it, certainly seems kind of fishy.

Uh, what's fishy about it?

The matchmaking system's job is to give you matches that are as close to you in terms of skill as possible.

A perfectly even match will give you a 50% chance of victory.

So yeah, obviously the matchmaking system is trying to give you a 50% win rate. That is its whole reason for existing.

It is possible that Blizzard's algorithm reacts to streaks of wins by promoting you a little bit more than the results would indicate to accurate the process of getting smurfs or whatever to their correct ELO. I am not sure I would consider it fishy though.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Tracking is still too fast and the range is too long. Better at sniping than widowmakers.

Dunno about that. A half decent widow is dropping most in one shot. I can peek a torb turret and:

- One blast it with helix rockets followed by a few bullets, without the need for biotic field
- Couple of hits from Junkrat's grenades
- Charge it into oblivion with pretty much any tank
- Snipe it

Only issue comes when it is in an elevated position, or has another turret covering the sweep LOS. Or another member of the enemy team waiting in ambush.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
At a bare minimum, 1 Mcree. Torbjorn's are still fairly prevalent on PC, unless you're in some absurdly high MMR.

Uh, what's fishy about it?

The matchmaking system's job is to give you matches that are as close to you in terms of skill as possible.

A perfectly even match will give you a 50% chance of victory.

So yeah, obviously the matchmaking system is trying to give you a 50% win rate. That is its whole reason for existing.

It is possible that Blizzard's algorithm reacts to streaks of wins by promoting you a little bit more than the results would indicate to accurate the process of getting smurfs or whatever to their correct ELO. I am not sure I would consider it fishy though.

The way to bring people "back into line" isn't to give people a short row of games with 90% chance of losing but to give them a longer run of games with 55% chance of losing. It's like the matchmaking algorithms can suddenly become nazis when they see untermensch getting above their station.

I can solo take out turrets with Lucio now. I'm surprised most people are still having issues.

Yeah his primary weapon is super strong against turrets for whatever reason. Meanwhile Winston can only take one down to half health while being shot. Learned this the hard way last night.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
fucking snipers on attack. First off, your team never needs more than one sniper on attack. Second, the least you could do is try to counter the defending team's sniper instead of ignoring them. Good snipers provide great utility, but good snipers seem to be in short supply. Also, if its going to overtime, contest the point.

SDCowboy

Ok seriously, what am I doing wrong with Hanzo's sup? I can almost never hit anyone with it. Even when I shoot it right into a cluster of enemies.

Braag

They need to make it so the cooldown for the sentry starts after it is destroyed. That way destroying it would actually be some sort of setback, but right now he can just pop another up immediately after the first one is destroyed. Makes teams with more than 1 torb a nightmare to go against.

Ok seriously, what am I doing wrong with Hanzo's sup? I can almost never hit anyone with it. Even when I shoot it right into a cluster of enemies.

It's very easy to avoid. Best used in tight areas like tunnels and such so it's harder to just take a few steps to the side and avoid it.

Hasney

Do it to one side. Whenever people hear Japanese being yelled, they tend to sidestep now.

Yeah his primary weapon is super strong against turrets for whatever reason. Meanwhile Winston can only take one down to half health while being shot. Learned this the hard way last night.

Yeah, that seems dumb. You'd think a tank like that should be effective against them. Hell, let Roadhog hook them too!

Interfectum

Last night the other team had 3 trobs on defense and all it took was a junkrat ult coming from the side. 3 dead turrets, 3 dead trobs. Got play of the game for it. Feels good.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
They need to make it so the cooldown for the sentry starts after it is destroyed. That way destroying it would actually be some sort of setback, but right now he can just pop another up immediately after the first one is destroyed. Makes teams with more than 1 torb a nightmare to go against.

He has to then spend a good 4-5 seconds hammering it back to level 2 for any effectiveness. He's vulnerable at that point.

Are you announcing your super is ready to your team?

If I ever see a Hanzo announce his super, I (Mei) usually try to coordinate with them so he has stationary targets with my blizzard or ice wall. A good Zarya will do the same.

SDCowboy

It's very easy to avoid. Best used in tight areas like tunnels and such so it's harder to just take a few steps to the side and avoid it.

Do it to one side. Whenever people hear Japanese being yelled, they tend to sidestep now.

Good advice. But does it start from where the arrow lands, or just the direction you are aiming and starts from the bow?

Raven117

Or, perhaps, a game where the sight lines allows a sniper to actually cover the target zone and make a difference. If you want to camp in the back with a sniper rifle and think that you are "zoning the enemy" and helping your team, go for it. It's a free country. Just know that your team hates you.

:)

IMO, the key with Widowmaker is to keep moving around the objective. Its hard to just sit there and camp.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

use it behind walls after using the sight arrow so you catch them off guard. its mostly used to make them spread out anyway, kinda like D.Va's ult. Im happy when I kill one person with it now

Dunno about that. A half decent widow is dropping most in one shot. I can peek a torb turret and:

- One blast it with helix rockets followed by a few bullets, without the need for biotic field
- Couple of hits from Junkrat's grenades
- Charge it into oblivion with pretty much any tank
- Snipe it

Only issue comes when it is in an elevated position, or has another turret covering the sweep LOS. Or another member of the enemy team waiting in ambush.

This is why I love putting the turret on the elevators in Hollywood.

I don't play him all that often, but I honestly think that the turrets are fine as they are.

To add another to the list of ways to deal with a turret:

- Lucio with a speed buff, alternating to heal when you take a few hits. It only takes 3 or so burst rounds to kill it and Lucio's range is further than the turret.

j-wood

Because of the character selection process, I feel like I'm forced to play either a heavy or support character in 90% of the matches I play. Here's how it usually goes down.

Person 1 immediately picks Hanzo. This always happens.
Person 2 picks Reaper.
I pick McCree or Tracer.
Person 3 picks Tracer or McCree.
The two other guys don't pick anyone until the timer runs out.
I switch to Lucio because duh we need a healer.
Person 4 picks Soldier 76 or Torbjorn.
Person 5 picks Junkrat or D.Va.

I'd say this happens in at least 80% of my matches. I'm ALWAYS stuck playing a heavy (usually Reinhardt or Roadhog -- at least he's fun) or support character.

From my experience on the PC, those other two guys are doing the exact same thing as you. If you picked a healer, why would they? Pick who you want and so far in my experience, one of them will pick the support or tank that's needed.

Of course I still play lucio some so i'm not a dick, and because I like it.

Moved on from Practice vs A.I to joining a regular game with randoms.

Ridiculously fun to be honest. I had a blast despite not fully knowing what I was doing. But it quickly became common to see "No support/healer/builder heroes" in the class comp screen. So I found myself mainly using the support healers. It wasn't too bad though I'm looking forward to joining up with some people from here.

widowmakers and hanzos that do not contest a point/payload are another annoying thing about them.

the cart needs one more push, it's overtime and the widowmaker hangs back instead of contesting to allow people who died to return and try for the push.

LiK

Same issue, people are just better at running away from it. You need to ambush people through walls or hope they're too busy fighting to notice it coming. Sometimes it's good to shoot it closer to them so they don't have time to run away.

JGLS

Because of the character selection process, I feel like I'm forced to play either a heavy or support character in 90% of the matches I play. Here's how it usually goes down.

Person 1 immediately picks Hanzo. This always happens.
Person 2 picks Reaper.
I pick McCree or Tracer.
Person 3 picks Tracer or McCree.
The two other guys don't pick anyone until the timer runs out.
I switch to Lucio because duh we need a healer.
Person 4 picks Soldier 76 or Torbjorn.
Person 5 picks Junkrat or D.Va.

I'd say this happens in at least 80% of my matches. I'm ALWAYS stuck playing a heavy (usually Reinhardt or Roadhog -- at least he's fun) or support character.

This is spot on for how my matchmaking has been for the last few days playing solo. I mean I don't even mind playing support/healer or tank, as those are my favorite classes, I just wish people didn't always pick the same hero for the whole match and learned to counter other players. When a match goes decently when playing with a bad team, most of the time I have to change from support to Winston/Pharah at the final push so I can disrupt the other team long enough for us to win, because nobody cares to change and apparently it's really fun to be slaughtered by Bastion and Tor over and over again.

SDCowboy

Are you announcing your super is ready to your team?

If I ever see a Hanzo announce his super, I (Mei) usually try to coordinate with them so he has stationary targets with my blizzard or ice wall. A good Zarya will do the same.
Man, I play pugs. You know how well that would go over. lol
use it behind walls after using the sight arrow so you catch them off guard. its mostly used to make them spread out anyway, kinda like D.Va's ult. Im happy when I kill one person with it now

True, good point.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Tickrate apologists are the worst.

It's 2016. We have competitive games.
They need to be competitive on the technical side as well.

20 tickrate on a 6vs6 entirely competitive game is abysmal.

60 tick would be better than 20 but some people act like every time they see an inconsistency that 20 tick is to blame. Sometimes it's just plain ole' latency issues.

pigeon

Banned
If the turret is placed well and the Torb isn't a total idiot that leaves it out in the open then that shouldn't be possible.

Why? I've done this too. Lucio does 25 damage per blob, 4 blobs per click. Sure, he takes a lot of damage from the turret, but Lucio heals himself. The turret doesn't. All you do is peek out of cover, take your shot, and dive back into cover to wait for your self-heal to work. Turrets just don't do enough damage to kill Lucio if he is peeking from cover. I mean, they don't really do enough damage to kill anybody using cover well. A turret without teammates protecting the area in front of it should be considered dead and you should start thinking of your next turret spot.

Interfectum

Same issue, people are just better at running away from it. You need to ambush people through walls or hope they're too busy fighting to notice it coming. Sometimes it's good to shoot it closer to them so they don't have time to run away.

Yeah it's fun to see the community evolve from launch. Hanzo's and D.Va's ults aren't near as game changing as they were on day one. It's great watching people scatter lol.

fucking snipers on attack. First off, your team never needs more than one sniper on attack. Second, the least you could do is try to counter the defending team's sniper instead of ignoring them. Good snipers provide great utility, but good snipers seem to be in short supply. Also, if its going to overtime, contest the point.

Completely agree. Everyone in random pubs thinks their a fucking sniper god and are more that likely complete shit at the role. It's frustrating when they simply ignore or hide from the opposing team's sniper and focus on engaging only the other squishy characters. A good sniper can be a godsend though.

DrArchon

Moved on from Practice vs A.I to joining a regular game with randoms.

Ridiculously fun to be honest. I had a blast despite not fully knowing what I was doing. But it quickly became common to see "No support/healer/builder heroes" in the class comp screen. So I found myself mainly using the support healers. It wasn't too bad though I'm looking forward to joining up with some people from here.

Playing a support character is really rewarding. Blizzard did a great job with all of them, and making it so that you get medals and post-game cards for healing and such was a brilliant idea for making healers feel appreciated.

Compare that to something like DOTA where playing a support is the most annoying thing in the game because you feel so unappreciated and you get locked out of so much of the game and everyone bitches at you for not constantly babysitting them. It's a hellish existence for those brave players and I'm glad Blizzard has made supporting more enjoyable here.

Best way to catch people off guard is to try and do it directly behind a wall between you and the enemies. If they have any time to see it and react, it is very easy to avoid.

I agree, their line of sight is ridiculous. They should not be able out snipe a sniper. I tried sniping them from far away and they still see me.

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to recommend snipers as counters to turrets when half the time it's impossible to get a LoS that doesn't trigger them. Or they've hidden their turret around a corner.

Was dealing with a team of 5 Tor's yesterday on Anubis, and that was just not working on point B (neither were Pharrah or Mei). Should have just switched to D.Va, flown in, and torn them up.

Mutombo

I just had a game where I absolutely saved our team's ass with Zarya, with just a few seconds before overtime, shooting my ultimate on the payload, blasting it with everyone I got (and my fellow teammates as well!) and continuing our warpath until the end.

There is no 'I' in team, I know, but fuck if I didn't save our asses.

Good to have a Hanzo time his ultimates with mine too!

Hasney

If the turret is placed well and the Torb isn't a total idiot that leaves it out in the open then that shouldn't be possible.

You can usually position yourself with a wall or pillar peaked out enough where it doesn't fire but you can get your shots off. TF2 has trained me well.

peakish

The way to bring people "back into line" isn't to give people a short row of games with 90% chance of losing but to give them a longer run of games with 55% chance of losing. It's like the matchmaking algorithms can suddenly become nazis when they see untermensch getting above their station.
I'd expect it to be natural variance on top of the matchmaking system. Matching up 12 people with close enough ping to a server and MMR who are searching for games within a 15s interval, then individual player variance between games/maps/characters/compositions on top of that (and confirmation bias once people start noticing "fishy" trends).

It does seem "swingy" at times, but I wouldn't be sure that there's anything more to it than being an actually difficult problem to solve.

Raptor

Some people really know how to putt hose turrets, like there were 3 of thema nd there was a Reinharnt protecting them from front assault while the torbs were taking care of flankers.

Shit was a massacre.

dawid

All the complaining about the tickrate feels good and i hope Blizzard will give in to it. It's disappointing that they ignored such an important part of competitive FPS:s.

Awful tickrate and netcodes is a big part of why games like Halo, COD and Battlefield never has been taken seriously as an esport.

You don't need to be pro to suffer from it of course.

Im on ps4 and the most double picks I've been seeing is reaper and 76. levels 1-30 anyway.

Im fine with two 76s on my team as hes a solid all rounder and very easy to play well.
But it feels like the people playing reaper are just after POTG with his ult.

Edit. oops i was suppose to edit my post not quote it :p

Playing a support character is really rewarding. Blizzard did a great job with all of them, and making it so that you get medals and post-game cards for healing and such was a brilliant idea for making healers feel appreciated.

Compare that to something like DOTA where playing a support is the most annoying thing in the game because you feel so unappreciated and you get locked out of so much of the game and everyone bitches at you for not constantly babysitting them. It's a hellish existence for those brave players and I'm glad Blizzard has made supporting more enjoyable here.

Oh I totally agree. I don't mind really since I enjoy playing the role, it's just nice to see a game reward the healer role. Most FPS Multiplayer titles I've played are usually geared more towards the guy with the most kills or best k/d.

Braag

He has to then spend a good 4-5 seconds hammering it back to level 2 for any effectiveness. He's vulnerable at that point.

Exactly, 4-5 sec setback isn't much. In Temple of Anubis we were once up against 3 torbs, reinhardt, Mercy and McCree, we got objective A but it was almost impossible to get B. I was playing Paharh and managed to destroy 2 of the turrets a few times with my ult (sometimes our lucio joined with his ult) but got killed in the process always. In just 4-5 secs they setup the destroyed turrets again so it felt useless.

Raptor

Whats a good way to use a Reaper?

I have seen some Reapers tear teams apart with ease and I get killed almost immediatly while using them, I want to be hard to kill while be able to take out in close range.

Any tips?

Woo-Fu

Banned
So do you guys think there's any truth to Blizzard's matchmaking trying to keep people at 50% win rate (at least playing solo)?

Uhh, what other outcome would you expect from skill-based matchmaking? If you're not hovering around 50% with brief swings up or down then the matchmaking is not working.

It is funny how one person said something somewhere and now people repeat it without even thinking about what they're actually saying, particularly after it has already been debunked by one or more Blizzard responses.

nOoblet16

For people who are annoyed by Torbjor's turret for killing them from halfway across the map...you are not halfway across the map.

The turret only has a range of 40m, and I've myself taken it out just by shooting at it from outside its range so many times. If you are talking about battles that were within its radius, well what do you expect? It's a turret with low health that does the one job its suppose to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom