• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hooking McCree's high noon....twice in the same game, the rage just oozes out of my monitor. Felt so good.

Getting flashed and fanned in a staircase at Gibraltar.
I survive, he starts to run, clears the doorway. I come out and give him the hug he clearly needed. "Don't run little cowboy, I just want to hug you. With an anchor and a shotgun!"

vixlar

Symetra and Torbjorn have almost the same functions (turrets and extension of HP) but one is Support and the other is Defense. Why? Just for their ults?

ISOM

Blizzard needs to do something about still being matched into games that are about to end and are on the losing side. So dumb..

LiK

Symetra and Torbjorn have almost the same functions (turrets and extension of HP) but one is Support and the other is Defense. Why? Just for their ults?

Also, they can both give armor. I'm guessing Ults

Blizzard needs to do something about still being matched into games that are about to end and are on the losing side. So dumb..

You do occasionally get Backfill XP for it. But yea, getting a loss that way blows.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
horrible games today good lord. Kinda glad im taking a break from the game starting tomorow, I think I need it

Watching morons hang back and snipe when we are attacking an objective just drives me crazy. WE ARE LOSING, MOVE, FUCKERS.

*snipe*

*snipe*

I was so mad at my team yesterday.

We were attacking Hanamura.

I was Mercy. Wife was Winston. We had 2 Widowmakers on the team, a Genji and a Reaper. Funny enough, the Reaper ended up switching to Widowmaker right after we grabbed the first point.

No one would come into the point at all. My wife would jump in, and I'd follow her, but they'd would just chew us up. Meanwhile, our team is sitting back waiting for that sweet snipe.

I got so mad I literally just spammed the "Group up on me" emote for about 3 minutes straight, throwing in a "My ultimate is ready" here and there.

Ardenyal

I wonder why Blizzard designed the Console aiming sensitivity with so much input lag (or is it a high deadzone? I always confuse the two).

Coming from or returning to Destiny really shows the difference in aiming.

I guess it was an intentional decision, but it feels no different than what I remember Killzone 2 feeling like on PS3 and so many people complained of the input lag.

I'm 99% sure it's input filtering, not input lag. Basically it takes analog stick inputs from the last 0.2 seconds or whatever they've configured it to and then averages out the input. Even if you flung the stick to the far right in an instant it would take a while to reach the maximum turning speed.

Weird design decision, makes it feel like your aim is tied to a rubberband.

SDCowboy

WTF, I just saw my first person with a start under their portrait. How in the hell can someone have already played that much?

patchday

I don't mind people buying boxes, after all it's what going to give us free content, but assuming he is only lvl 30 or 40, that means he bought 260 boxes, which is around 200$!

What I meant, is that I can't see myself spending hundreds of dollars on random loot. Maybe a few dollars one day, but that's about it.

I was thinking maybe you had a fair comment thinking back causde the loot boxes are random. so my bad buddy

If Torb Turrets could not have the literal equivalent of aimbot I'd be so happy...

Seriously when you are having a battle halfway across the map with someone and a torb turret sees you and kills you...

TRHwZqo.jpg

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
yeah like a team based one, where you capture objectives and theres 6 players on each team. Maybe 5 players could capture the point, whilst the 6th one zones the enemy.

Or, perhaps, a game where the sight lines allows a sniper to actually cover the target zone and make a difference. If you want to camp in the back with a sniper rifle and think that you are "zoning the enemy" and helping your team, go for it. It's a free country. Just know that your team hates you.

:)

Raptor

You can't do it on your own but if three of you focus a turret each and go Pharah or Soldier they are easy to take down, even Lucio with his self heal is good. Soldier I find best because you can just plonk your heal down at a corner and peak out to take down the turret and still come away with full health.

This sounds good because apparently nobody cares about that, tried with the sniper, reaper, a tank, no joy.

:p

pigeon

Banned
Shit i forgot how i was posting on your behalf

yeah like a team based one, where you capture objectives and theres 6 players on each team. Maybe 5 players could capture the point, whilst the 6th one zones the enemy.

I dunno, man, I understand the theoretical argument for having a sniper on attack, but in practice I feel like there are kind of three options.

* There are enemies on the point. You have failed as a sniper.
* There are no enemies on the point, and your teammates are alive and present. Nobody will complain, everything is fine.
* There are no enemies on the point but everybody on your team is also dead. Get on the fucking point.

Obviously I don't have a problem with the second option, but I don't think people who are posting are complaining about that one.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
If Torb Turrets could not have the literal equivalent of aimbot I'd be so happy...

Seriously when you are having a battle halfway across the map with someone and a torb turret sees you and kills you...

TRHwZqo.jpg

It takes a second to auto lock anyway (this was a nerf from the beta). Plus it has to prioritize you as the viable threat.

mxgt

Banned
So do you guys think there's any truth to Blizzard's matchmaking trying to keep people at 50% win rate (at least playing solo)?

I only really have myself a friend's experience to go on, but both of us are almost constantly at 50% after about 200 matches each. If I dip a few below, I will get into games where we stomp the opponents and if I go some games above, I will get matched with people <level 10 or people who are terrible and get stomped back down to 50%.

This is all based on solo experience, of course.

Been seeing a lot of topics about it, certainly seems kind of fishy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this Torb thing must be a console problem because I barely see any torbs lately on PC, and the rare times I use mine people just rofl my turrets with ease

So do you guys think there's any truth to Blizzard's matchmaking trying to keep people at 50% win rate (at least playing solo)?

I only really have myself a friend's experience to go on, but both of us are almost constantly at 50% after about 200 matches each. If I dip a few below, I will get into games where we stomp the opponents and if I go some games above, I will get matched with people <level 10 or people who are terrible and get stomped back down to 50%.

yes they do this with all their games afterall. They even admit it with HotS, I mean its not a big secret

Nyx

I'm actually a bit afraid to start learning Widowmaker lol...

Want to be a good sniper that plays the objective, but my shooting skills are not up to par yet and ofcourse she is picked by so many others as well.

Or, perhaps, a game where the sight lines allows a sniper to actually cover the target zone and make a difference. If you want to camp in the back with a sniper rifle and think that you are "zoning the enemy" and helping your team, go for it. It's a free country. Just know that your team hates you.

:)

lmao, i am dying. I think you should go tell the overwatch pro's aswell, they are playing the game all wrong.

LiK

TRHwZqo.jpg

I agree, their line of sight is ridiculous. They should not be able out snipe a sniper. I tried sniping them from far away and they still see me.

Interfectum

I think that's how most matchmaking works, isn't it? I have a 50/50 win loss rate in most pub quick match games.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
this Torb thing must be a console problem because I barely see any torbs lately on PC, and the rare times I use mine people just rofl my turrets with ease

Yeah, like the double McCree people keep talking about. I almost never see this on PC.

kendrid

Banned
The matchmaking seems terrible this morning on PC. It's taking forever to find a group, and it when it has, the skill level and player levels seem completely out of whack. lol

PS4 was the same yesterday afternoon and night. It took up to two minutes to find matches.

Lunar15

If we're making a push on an objective, like say, the second phase of Temple of Anubis, and you decide to play lone wolf sniper... sure, go right ahead. Not the most helpful choice, but there's still some utility there.

But by God, if I don't see that Torbjorn turret sitting on the point go down from sniper fire, then you can go fuck right off.

Interfectum

Turrets get easier to avoid/destroy once you get better map awareness. The only time they are a real pain is if their team is good and is keeping you from killing a well placed turret.

That's how matchmaking works, though. A good matchmaking system should keep you constantly hovering around the 50% mark because you should be playing people of equal skill. Obviously it's all kinds of fucked at the moment because the game is just out and calculating MMR but it's doing it's job one way or the other.

Because of the character selection process, I feel like I'm forced to play either a heavy or support character in 90% of the matches I play. Here's how it usually goes down.

Person 1 immediately picks Hanzo. This always happens.
Person 2 picks Reaper.
I pick McCree or Tracer.
Person 3 picks Tracer or McCree.
The two other guys don't pick anyone until the timer runs out.
I switch to Lucio because duh we need a healer.
Person 4 picks Soldier 76 or Torbjorn.
Person 5 picks Junkrat or D.Va.

I'd say this happens in at least 80% of my matches. I'm ALWAYS stuck playing a heavy (usually Reinhardt or Roadhog -- at least he's fun) or support character.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Does it really? Because I've had them prioritize me when I'm playing as characters like Mercy, which would make them better at choosing targets than most random players.

Test it in a custom game. Have two of you approach a torb turret and see which it takes out first. With different characters. Unless it is in Molten core, it can only track one at a time.

I don't know what the rules for turrets are in regards to which characters it will track over others. I do know that i'v been in some matches where the turret will inexplicably stop firing at me when my teammate comes into its LOS, allowing me to continue peeking to kill it.

Rhaknar

I decided to take a break as well....guess how that worked out?

I'm starting the game up now.

in this case its another game is having its annual anniversary even and theres a lot of goodies to get during that period which I dont want to miss out even if im not playing it much atm, I know I will again. And like I said, I feel like I need a break from OW. Would like to get to 200 wins tho, think im on like 191 or something

the other game is Marvel Heroes btw, not that anyone cares but the way I wrote it seemed like I was being coy about it lol

Yeah, like the double McCree people keep talking about. I almost never see this on PC.

I do see double mcrees :)

Blizzard

Banned
Have they changed it? I've been matched to games that pop the "DEFEAT" as soon as the load screen fades away and it counted as loss.
It's what I've read in this thread but I haven't confirmed it myself.

I almost always get matched to new games on PC though so I don't know.

mxgt

Banned
That's how matchmaking works, though. A good matchmaking system should keep you constantly hovering around the 50% mark because you should be playing people of equal skill. Obviously it's all kinds of fucked at the moment because the game is just out and calculating MMR but it's doing it's job one way or the other.

I guess it just gets kind of frustrating, I often feel like I am pre-determined to lose and have no impact on the outcome.

Same with winning, so many solo games are just one sided stomps. I need to play more with friends I guess.

Nyx

Because of the character selection process, I feel like I'm forced to play either a heavy or support character in 90% of the matches I play. Here's how it usually goes down.

Person 1 immediately picks Hanzo. This always happens.
Person 2 picks Reaper.
I pick McCree or Tracer.
Person 3 picks Tracer or McCree.
The two other guys don't pick anyone until the timer runs out.
I switch to Lucio because duh we need a healer.
Person 4 picks Soldier 76 or Torbjorn.
Person 5 picks Junkrat or D.Va.

I'd say this happens in at least 80% of my matches. I'm ALWAYS stuck playing a heavy (usually Reinhardt or Roadhog -- at least he's fun) or support character.

Same here, and while I really like playing a tank or healer in this game I would like to play other roles as well.

But yeah, I'm also that guy who can't let the team down and not choose a role that is necessary... Luckily I've seen more people pick up a missing role the higher lvl I get. (37 atm)

I'm pretty sure a Torb turret's only priority is what it sees first.

The first thing in it's line of sight is its first priority until that thing is either dead or no longer in line of sight.

Annubis

?
You don't get the loss added to your player record
You get 400 xp for "sorry we put you into a end of a loss game"

I'm almost happy when it happens to me because it's like 700 xp for 10 seconds.

Blizzard

Banned

As others referenced, this is how any elo/MMR (MatchMaking Rating) system works as far as I know -- League of Legends for example. The idea is that if you are winning 70% of your games, you are way too good for your opponents, so you get matched against tougher opponents. If you're winning only 40% of your games, the opposite happens.

Eventually, you are in theory matched against opponents of your skill level where you have a 50% chance of winning.

I personally prefer being able to stomp most games, but people on the enemy teams wouldn't enjoy that. :p

Amneisac

Has there ever been an official statement on whether or not competitive play will allow for duplicate heroes on a team? I'm not saying I'm 100% against it, but it just doesn't really make sense, and I think it allows for some cheese and confusion that doesn't really benefit the gameplay.

Last night I got to the point where I was picking Widowmaker at the start of the match, just to keep other players from picking her instead and then inevitably hiding on a platform the whole match and failing to push the objective. At least I have enough awareness to know when the utility of a sniper in the match is over, and that it's time to switch..

ExVicis

Watching morons hang back and snipe when we are attacking an objective just drives me crazy. WE ARE LOSING, MOVE, FUCKERS.

*snipe*

*snipe*
I had a game earlier where we were losing on defense and I saw a Bastion in stationary mode looking down a hallway completely separated from the payload. He made no attempt to move or anything and when called out on it he said he needed a tank in front of him. Man I was mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom