• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Awful tickrate and netcodes is a big part of why games like Halo, COD and Battlefield never has been taken seriously as an esport.

Custom games can be set to 60 so thats not a problem here.

nOoblet16

Exactly, 4-5 sec setback isn't much. In Temple of Anubis we were once up against 3 torbs, reinhardt, Mercy and McCree, we got objective A but it was almost impossible to get B. I was playing Paharh and managed to destroy 2 of the turrets a few times with my ult (sometimes our lucio joined with his ult) but got killed in the process always. In just 4-5 secs they setup the destroyed turrets again so it felt useless.

The trick is to kill Torbjorn before or at the same time as the turret which is doable if the guy is sticking to his turret.

Although I do agree 3-4 Torbjorn running around with their rivet guns and their turrets placed is a bit too powerful.

LiK

Whats a good way to use a Reaper?

I have seen some Reapers tear teams apart with ease and I get killed almost immediatly while using them, I want to be hard to kill while be able to take out in close range.

Any tips?

Midrange to close and he's lethal. You need to be mobile and use his wraith form to escape and heal when you need to. Stay near a teammate when possible so they can be a distraction if you need to wraith. Also learn to use the teleport ability for ambushes. A good Reaper is annoying to fight.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone

I have seen some Reapers tear teams apart with ease and I get killed almost immediatly while using them, I want to be hard to kill while be able to take out in close range.

Any tips?

Hide, flank teams. A good reaper waits until you are distracted elsewhere and has already taken off 75% of your health before you even notice he's behind you.

Raptor

Midrange to close and he's lethal. You need to be mobile and use his wraith form to escape and heal when you need to. Stay near a teammate when possible so they can be a distraction if you need to wraith. Also learn to use the teleport ability for ambushes. A good Reaper is annoying to fight.

A very good Reaper is always hard for me to kill.

Thanks for the tips.

ZealousD

I wouldn't say it makes the game unplayable, but I am at level 45 and a lot of times I die in a way that in my screen I wouldn't. My ping usually is 22.

Your ping is not the only factor. Your opponent's ping often matters a lot more. These problems do not go away with 60 tick.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
The trick is to kill Torbjorn before or at the same time as the turret which is doable if the guy is sticking to his turret.

Yeah, when i play Torb, i roam away from my turret to act as a second turret. If someone is focusing my turret, they get a side full of rivet gun.

Mei is infuriating. As Roadhog she is the bane of my existence. With other characters, she still has my number. I'm sure she is tricky to use so I respect a good Mei but the second she touches me with that freeze hose, I'm fucked. Hooking her rarely works because she immediately pops her ice shield/heal. I don't know if she is worth countering, though in most games. She can be frustrating but I rarely feel she's been the game changer, outside of her ult, which is pretty incredible.

pigeon

Banned
Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to recommend snipers as counters to turrets when half the time it's impossible to get a LoS that doesn't trigger them. Or they've hidden their turret around a corner.

Was dealing with a team of 5 Tor's yesterday on Anubis, and that was just not working on point B (neither were Pharrah or Mei). Should have just switched to D.Va, flown in, and torn them up.

Honestly I'm not clear on this either. I think people confuse the counters for Bastion with the counters for Torbjorn. The two work entirely differently and have different weaknesses. Bastion has damage falloff, reloads, and needs to be aimed. Torb's turret has no damage falloff and perfect aim, but does literally 10-30% of Bastion's damage depending on falloff range and is super dumb, shooting only the first target it sees until it dies or leaves vision.

Bastion can be outranged or outflanked. Torb mostly can't, but almost anybody should be able to take the turret out if they have time to focus on it.

I'd expect it to be natural variance on top of the matchmaking system. Matching up 12 people with close enough ping to a server and MMR who are searching for games within a 15s interval, then individual player variance between games/maps/characters/compositions on top of that (and confirmation bias once people start noticing "fishy" trends).

It does seem "swingy" at times, but I wouldn't be sure that there's anything more to it than being an actually difficult problem to solve.

One thing that is for sure is that the goal of a matchmaking system should not be to drag your win% up or down to 50. If the system is well though out but constantly matching you against teams with a higher MMR and bonus for being in a premade then your personal MMR will not be dropping fast. If it keeps on doing that just to get the high MMR premades a game with fast queue times then your win% will realistically drop well below 50% without your personal skill rating dropping too much meaning that it doesn't take as many games to get back up.

The tickrate pisses me off, because of how blatent your deaths due to it our. Like how do the devs hide their shame, when roadhog lands a hook, "er you might be able to escape depends on tickrate"

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I had a game earlier where we were losing on defense and I saw a Bastion in stationary mode looking down a hallway completely separated from the payload. He made no attempt to move or anything and when called out on it he said he needed a tank in front of him. Man I was mad.

Bastions on attack make me mad.

DrArchon

Although I do agree 3-4 Torbjorn running around with their rivet guns and their turrets placed is a bit too powerful.

I'm of the opinion that Torb's rivet gun is way more powerful than it needs to be. That thing just shreds people up close and at mid-range, plus the main fire isn't terrible at a distance. And it's not like Torb himself is hard to kill. He's got average health and can make effectively more health as long as he's on the move.

I'd understand either Torb or the turret being a little lackluster in terms of damage, but it seems odd that both of them can put out so much damage.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

pigeon

Banned
The way to bring people "back into line" isn't to give people a short row of games with 90% chance of losing but to give them a longer run of games with 55% chance of losing. It's like the matchmaking algorithms can suddenly become nazis when they see untermensch getting above their station.

To be honest, I think that people are just wrong about that. How could you possibly judge your probability of winning a game? You are not a matchmaking algorithm.

Also, a certain percentage of random teams will just be trash fires because of failure to sync. You'll remember every single time this happened to you and complain about how bad the matchmaking is. You probably won't remember any of the times it happened to your opponent because you'll just remember how you outplayed a bunch of fools. It's the fundamental attribution error, MOBA style. My enemies lose because they are bad, I lose because of tick rate and matchmaking.

(Full disclosure, I'm maintaining a 58% win rate and have for the past 50 games or so, so I'm pretty confident there is no magical killswitch that forces you back to 50% if you get too far from the norm.)

ZealousD

The tickrate pisses me off, because of how blatent your deaths due to it our. Like how do the devs hide their shame, when roadhog lands a hook, "er you might be able to escape depends on tickrate"

Roadhog's hook is hitscan, isn't it? There's no such thing as escaping it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yeah, when i play Torb, i roam away from my turret to act as a second turret. If someone is focusing my turret, they get a side full of rivet gun.

Indeed, turret-hugging is poor play. Setup a crossfire and put that primary attack into play, it does ridiculous damage.

I honestly don't understand the complaints for Torbjorn turrets, they're trivial to destroy. Figure most of the complaints are coming from tracer/genjis/mcree who want to flank and don't know the healthpack routes so that chip damage adds up.

Roadhog's hook is hitscan, isn't it? There's no such thing as escaping it.

No. It has a pretty large hitbox though. ;) And yes you can dodge it, though it is a large hitbox you're dodging. At least that seems to be the final decision by most people via testing at enough range that the hitbox doesn't make it seem like it is hitscan. You do have to lead the target to land the hook.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, had a 5 rein 1 lucio match attacking anubis that was a fucking stomp. So hilarious, yet surprisingly effective because the other team has no idea what to do.

You knew it was going to happen that people will start blaming the system for their bad plays. (Not saying they do not happen but they do not happen that frequently).

It's always something.

A game can't release without players swearing that the Devs should be ashamed of themselves over:

A. FPS
B. FoV
C. Dedicated Servers
D. Tickrate

Brandwin

?
You don't get the loss added to your player record
You get 400 xp for "sorry we put you into a end of a loss game"

I'm almost happy when it happens to me because it's like 700 xp for 10 seconds.

That's good to know. I didn't know that. Thanks!

I am on fiber optic. I have 7ms ping. Yesterday a chain flew through a wall on Hollywood and grabbed me.

nOoblet16

You knew it was going to happen that people will start blaming the system for their bad plays. (Not saying they do not happen but they do not happen that frequently).

Gwyn is a great player.
I like how people are quick to blame the players everytime the tickrate is bought up when it's an obvious and proven issue.

I am on fiber optic. I have 7ms ping. Yesterday a chain flew through a wall on Hollywood and grabbed me.

Sounds like lag...

Gwyn is a great player.
I like how people are quick to blame the players everytime the tickrate is bought up when it's an obvious and proven issue.

Evidence is circumstantial, and the main symptom shown as evidence also happens to be the main symptom of another much more common issue: latency.

Any tips?

Try to approach from the flanks when possible.
Don't trust your teleport to be your method of flanking, since you can be spotted using it and are vulnerable for a short period of time after; use it instead to gain height advantages you either would not be able to reach or would take too much time to reach.
Stay in a small range of a known health pack. Pop your ghost form to glide over it if you need to, since you still get healed in ghost form. This will be a "base of operations" for you.
Pick your targets. Soft, high-impact targets like Junkrat, Widowmaker, Hanzo, or Mercy. Go for the Tracer if she's just recently teleported or is returning from a quick run. Otherwise, going against a fresh Tracer will be time consuming.

nOoblet16

Sounds like lag...

Evidence is circumstantial, and the main symptom shown as evidence also happens to be the main symptom of another much more common issue: latency.

Except you can check the latency on PC and when it happens despite low latency, it is the tickrate.
A 30ms latency is still quicker than the latency caused due to a 20hz tickrate (i.e. 50ms)

Maximo

So Blizzard banned 1600 Asian players and named and shamed them on the official forum: http://bbs.ow.blizzard.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=523366&extra=page=1

No tournaments are played on 64tick, and the community has been begging for 128tick in ranked for ages. There's a huge difference between the official 64tick servers and good 128tick servers.

Im slightly happy Loot Boxes can be purchased means Blizzard has a money stake in making sure people don't cheat.

Klyka

Banned
I can't properly play with my friends anymore.

As we switch to a new map the game jumps between the main menu and the loading screen infinitely for me.

Playing a support character is really rewarding. Blizzard did a great job with all of them, and making it so that you get medals and post-game cards for healing and such was a brilliant idea for making healers feel appreciated.

So true, it would be nice to see some support POTGs though.

So true, it would be nice to see some support POTGs though.

I see them quite a bit. Especially Mercy lately, but I've seen plenty of Lucio, and a handful of Symmetra.

I've gotten a PotG as Symmetra about 3 times so far.

I don't think I've ever seen a Zenyatta.

Except you can check the latency on PC and when it happens despite low latency, it is the tickrate.
A 30ms latency is still quicker than the latency caused due to a 20hz tickrate (i.e. 50ms)

And I doubt everytime someone gets killed through a corner wall that they're checking to see which of these is the case. It's easier to just bitch about the new buzz word for the game than to actually investigate into it.

lol people who have played with me, know how frequently i self criticize after a match, saying something i could of done better etc.

I mean christ this is me playing dark souls, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrXOJQIrGZk. You think people get this good at video games, by blaming things other than themselves?

Just cause i'm criticizing tickrate, doesnt mean i'm whining about my misplays, quite the opposite, i'd rather being dying to a roadhog hook constantly, than mashing a button, just incase the tickrate lets me escape.

I can't properly play with my friends anymore.

As we switch to a new map the game jumps between the main menu and the loading screen infinitely for me.

have you asked for help on r/overwatch?

nOoblet16

I see them quite a bit. Especially Mercy lately, but I've seen plenty of Lucio, and a handful of Symmetra.

I've gotten a PotG as Symmetra about 3 times so far.

I don't think I've ever seen a Zenyatta.

And I doubt everytime someone gets killed through a corner wall that they're checking to see which of these is the case. It's easier to just bitch about the new buzz word for the game than to actually investigate into it.

You dont have to be checking, it comes from experience.
If I play at 30-40ms constantly regardless of games, I know what to expect...if I see shit like that happen in Overwatch and not in CSGO I know what it is.

It doesn't take long, it's an instant thought that comes up because it is unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom