• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzyset

I see them quite a bit. Especially Mercy lately, but I've seen plenty of Lucio, and a handful of Symmetra.

I've gotten a PotG as Symmetra about 3 times so far.

I don't think I've ever seen a Zenyatta.

Apparently early in the testing, the Zenyatta Ult would just destroy their algo because he does an insane amount of healing in a short period, but the POTGs were just Zenyatta floating around and not actually 'doing' anything.

It's a hard problem.

Interfectum

So do we have any theories/ideas on how Blizzard could handle releasing new heroes into the mix? I can't imagine how bad quickmatch would be if they released one hero at a time. They gotta do them in groups, right?

R0ckman

I don't know. I read this in the Overwatch forum, why people quit when the game seems to end in a loss.
Still counting it as a loss would certainly be better, if that's really not the case already.

If they count it as a loss they would have to give a more forgiving afk counter.

dawid

Custom games can be set to 60 so thats not a problem here.

60 tickrate is not enough for serious competitive gaming. You would never have a major CS:GO tournament at anything below 128 tickrate for example.

Blizzard should at least go 64 tick on ladder and unlock 128 for custom games.

So what's everyone's favorite map?

Mine is definitely Ilios, I've had some really insane back and forth matches there. Love the variety of cliffs to push people off!

So do we have any theories/ideas on how Blizzard could handle releasing new heroes into the mix? I can't imagine how bad quickmatch would be if they released one hero at a time. They gotta do them in groups, right?

I think it will follow the 3 heroes release like they did with d.va, genji, and mei.

DrArchon

No matter what you're gonna have whole teams that are just the new character(s), so I say release them when they're ready.

I got one yesterday for literally just killing a pharah, wasn't even a particularly great kill.. worst potg I've seen yet

Was she in the middle of her ult? You get PotG sometimes for killing dudes during their ults (it says "Shutdown" when that's the case).

nOoblet16

I'm pretty sure it is? I've seen Roadhog's hook veer left or right or get thrown through walls when I toss it out myself. That doesn't make sense to me unless it is hitscan.

It can very well be due to it having a large hitbox, and if the player getting hooked is already moving and there are other objects in the way then the grappled hero will go around that object. This is why at times you find the grappled hero to be at your side instead of directly to your front.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I've thought that, too.

Add one or two, and welp, now that's all anyone is gonna pick for a month. And if you're a team player, then you don't get to enjoy the new hero.

I would guess they'll release one for each class in an "expansion" in the fall.

That's four heroes. Plus maybe a couple maps. And then some new sprays/skins/etc.

That's my guess.

Kalentan

I know there is a fan art thread and maybe this was posted already but I thought it was funny.

tumblr_o84fp8WP3l1vqowijo1_1280.png

Ranmo

I saw a Lucio PotG for the first time last night. It was my friend as Lucio standing by the payload shooting in a straight line at nothing. It's kind of hilarious.

It was a shutdown match where we won, so it was weird.

I'm assuming on top of payload points, you get points for healing people who are on fire sprees?

Raptor

Try to approach from the flanks when possible.
Don't trust your teleport to be your method of flanking, since you can be spotted using it and are vulnerable for a short period of time after; use it instead to gain height advantages you either would not be able to reach or would take too much time to reach.
Stay in a small range of a known health pack. Pop your ghost form to glide over it if you need to, since you still get healed in ghost form. This will be a "base of operations" for you.
Pick your targets. Soft, high-impact targets like Junkrat, Widowmaker, Hanzo, or Mercy. Go for the Tracer if she's just recently teleported or is returning from a quick run. Otherwise, going against a fresh Tracer will be time consuming.

Nice stuff, being close to health packs is nice.

Daft Punk

Banned
WTF, I just saw my first person with a start under their portrait. How in the hell can someone have already played that much?

My friend has literally put 94 hours into the game already and is level 100. Out of those 100 levels? Only 6 legendary skins. I feel sorry for him.

Heng

Good thing you will never be able to call out bad snipers for bad performance.
Are you saying we can't tell if a sniper is performing his/her duty? I usually base it on if they ignore the other sniper, if they aren't trying to help destroy turrets/bastions, or just not using their sonar arrows (Hanzo). I don't usually say anything to them though, they must already have a hard time living with the fact that they can't aim. :)

lol people who have played with me, know how frequently i self criticize after a match, saying something i could of done better etc.

I mean christ this is me playing dark souls, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrXOJQIrGZk. You think people get this good at video games, by blaming things other than themselves?

Just cause i'm criticizing tickrate, doesnt mean i'm whining about my misplays, quite the opposite, i'd rather being dying to a roadhog hook constantly, than mashing a button, just incase the tickrate lets me escape.

The amount of people who are Blizzard apologists on this issue is mind boggling. When Roadhog hooks me through a car, I didn't make a "bad play" or need to "git gud." When I am mashing abilities that never go off, I didn't make a "bad play."

20hz is a joke.

nOoblet16

Try to approach from the flanks when possible.
Don't trust your teleport to be your method of flanking, since you can be spotted using it and are vulnerable for a short period of time after; use it instead to gain height advantages you either would not be able to reach or would take too much time to reach.
Stay in a small range of a known health pack. Pop your ghost form to glide over it if you need to, since you still get healed in ghost form. This will be a "base of operations" for you.
Pick your targets. Soft, high-impact targets like Junkrat, Widowmaker, Hanzo, or Mercy. Go for the Tracer if she's just recently teleported or is returning from a quick run. Otherwise, going against a fresh Tracer will be time consuming.
Well he should also be going for tanks.

Lost a game handily. The POTG was a Reinhardt stunning 3 of us and then killing us by swinging his hammer along the ground while we were down.

I said to everyone, "literally wiping the floor with us." Then someone said " figuratively* " which just made my blood boil because he was the one that was confused but was correcting me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The amount of people who are Blizzard apologists on this issue is mind boggling. When Roadhog hooks me through a car, I didn't make a "bad play" or need to "git gud." When I am mashing abilities that never go off, I didn't make a "bad play."

20hz is a joke.

image.php

kromeo

Unless they release 4 new heroes at once it would be best to just avoid the game for a few days, like ffxiv when ninja came out on its own

zonezeus

I don't think I've ever seen a Zenyatta.

That's mostly because he doesn't have a "press Q to POTG" ultimate. I've got a couple of POTGs with him and they were exclusively me getting very lucky and dropping 2-3 dudes on the objective + Transcendence to heal + nobody else did anything spectacular like Barrage or Death Blossom. Unfortunately Zenyatta's POTGs are 20% skill and 80% luck.

Rizzi

The amount of teams with multiple McCree's on them is astounding.
Balanced team composition? Nah, we're going to play McCree. I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't usually do a shit job of it, the cunts.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
What are some heroes that you guys just don't like playing as at all?

For me literally the only hero on the entire roster I don't like playing as is Widowmaker.

Historically I'm a worthless sniper in every shooter I've ever played.

Interfectum

For me literally the only hero on the entire roster I don't like playing as is Widowmaker.

Not a big fan of Widowmaker either. I feel like whenever I'm using her my team is basically going 5v6.

Nice stuff, being close to health packs is nice.

This is my #1 piece of advice to anyone playing a flanking class or not: Learn where the dang health packs are. You can live for a very long time behind enemy lines if you make frequent trips to top up your health.

E.g., the right side of the first Hanamura point (from the defenders' view) gives you easy access to two big packs and one small, all surrounded by walls and balconies that seem purposely designed for Genji to use and abuse. You can harry that point without dying for a long time, forcing the defenders to fight on two fronts and maybe concede the gate.

Another good one is the big pack in the back of the first King's Row point: Flankers can come and go as they please, with four routes in and out, including one that takes you to an elevated position behind the point.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and now in things that always go well for the enemy, poorly for me:

Mercy mass res, they do it, turn things around. We do it, we get massacred in seconds

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The amount of teams with multiple McCree's on them is astounding.
Balanced team composition? Nah, we're going to play McCree. I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't usually do a shit job of it, the cunts.

fortunately I've never been on a team that does this. I say fortunately because it never works out. I've seen 4+ bastions, mccrees, hanzos, reapers, and pharahs, and it has never ended with a win.

my "I'm leaving the game" is the lobby timer counting down to 5-4-3-2-1 and we still have two widows. "I'm out."

and now in things that always go well for the enemy, poorly for me:

Mercy mass res, they do it, turn things around. We do it, we get massacred in seconds

this almost ALWAYS comes down to the team not expecting it. also to be a good mercy player (admittedly I don't do this as well as I should either) you should let them know "res inc"

I gotta say, the brawl this week is a ton of fun.

Tracer because I suck with her. Mercy because I haven't gotten the hang of her yet. I seem to excel at Lucio and Bastion.

Zemm

I swear people don't play with headphones on in this game because the awareness of 90% of the players is horrendous.

ExVicis

Well the extra hurt is in the match I resurrected the whole team (and flew away alive) I lost POTG to the junkrat who killed them to begin with. I feel a little robbed.
Blizzard I think has admitted that Play of the Game is messed up and not working as intended.

ThankeeSai

The amount of Mei's blocking the door with ice walls, 1 second before the game of Control starts is getting annoying.

Had one guy on the mic last night saying "I loved doing that...Hahaha!...It's so funny. Sorry guys".

Oh yes, it's hilarious.

You fucking cheb.

Rizzi

fortunately I've never been on a team that does this. I say fortunately because it never works out. I've seen 4+ bastions, mccrees, hanzos, reapers, and pharahs, and it has never ended with a win.

my "I'm leaving the game" is the lobby timer counting down to 5-4-3-2-1 and we still have two widows. "I'm out."

I ask people if they can switch most of the time, and they either ignore me and keep playing the game in a shitty way or tell me to fuck off.
HATE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom