• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been getting a few more symmetra POTG. Her mini laser combined with her draining energy thing is legit scary

I agree, she's super dangerous when flanking the enemy team.

Everytime I die to her primary, I usually just think it's one of her turrets killing me, until I actually see my health diminish exponentially....

Heng

Game released like.. 2 weeks ago i think? So yeah this might be the case.
Which is perfectly fine!

BTW i dont get the thread title, the monetization system of OW is super player friendly compared to dunno.. Hearthstone (Which is ok too)
It's referencing another thread that stated MTA for cosmetic stuff is a new time low in the AAA industry.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thanks! Something that helped me out a lot (because early on I was just basically holding shield out the whole game hoping for my team mates to do stuff) is that being aggressive can really help break up the enemy lines. Also Reinhardt's charge is an excellent tank buster. If you charge their tank you can pretty much dismantle them from there.

Also people tend to love focusing you when you're at a distance with your shield out but at close range they just generally panic.

So really if you just go on the offensive you can throw their whole team for a loop, the ult is really powerful at getting teams to wipe, if you get a good one off and you die your team can still clean up.

the biggest thing I've learned to playing Reinhardt (and I've gotten tons of compliments) is patience. Patience patience patience. Charge not when you can get the pin, but when you can get the PLAY. Learn when you use your shield, or when to use another shield (like the payload itself, etc). And yeah, Reinhardt CAN be an effective attacker, but in my experience you are going to have a tough time 1v1 against most other characters in straight DPS. You have to dance between shield and hammer effectively.

I don't have the patience to play Reinhardt with random players, especially with games that require a push. I can't rally the troops behind me and I end up just pushing in basically alone to my death, when I give up on the idea of a quality team push.

Reinhardt is my second most played character because of that very reason.

Frustrates me to no fucking end that the majority of players pick Hanzo/Reaper/Genji/McCree and leave everyone else to make up the support and defense. Can't wait for competitive play and PRAY they dont allow stacking. We'll see how this weekend's no stacking plays out in the competition.

XaosWolf

Game released like.. 2 weeks ago i think? So yeah this might be the case.
Which is perfectly fine!

BTW i dont get the thread title, the monetization system of OW is super player friendly compared to dunno.. Hearthstone (Which is ok too)

I meant game in general, not just OW. These geniuses must sit at the start of Super Mario Bros and think that someone else will to get to the flagpole instead.

And the title is referencing another thread complaining about a problem that doesn't really exist.

Canucked

I gotta branch out in my characters. I see all you guys taking about them and I don't even know how Hanzo plays. I'm gonna be a scrub when I try him and everyone will be all "there's another random picking Hanzo"

Woo-Fu

Banned

The problem is there is no way to spend X amount of money to get a particular bit of fluff.

In Hearthstone for example you can spend a certain amount of money and even if you don't get the card you're looking for you can disenchant everything and craft the card you're looking for.

In Overwatch though you have to keep buying until you get enough credits via credit/duplicates to buy what you want and that could take a lot of money thanks to RNG.

Hearthstone is bad in that aspect, Overwatch is worse.

That said, at least in Overwatch it is just fluff so it really doesn't matter. It is incredibly interesting to me what people will gamble for a piece of fluff that doesn't affect gameplay in any meaningful way, though. :) From my point of view it is a really poor way to spend your money, money that could go towards other games, hardware upgrades, practically anything with more value than a virtual item that has no stats.

Awful games all round today. Its like people are playing their very first game.

What I've seen today:
  • Ignore Objective at all costs
  • No Healer/Support
  • No Tank
  • Offense heroes only
  • Two McCrees (if either had spammed FTH it would have been a breath of fresh air)
  • Three Widowmakers on Attack
  • No shooting through Reinhardt's shield
  • Everyone roams
  • Scatter at 5m from Payload win
  • Literally standing out in the open to die

... I think I'm done for today. =|

Reinhardt is only good for blocking, as his GIANT HAMMER is weak as shit and has a super spotty hitbox.

Solo queuing?

I found I have a better time when I'm solo queuing just playing heroes I enjoy and wreaking havoc on their team. I used to get upset when people wouldn't PTFO and I would lose as a result. Always ended up as Lucio/Mercy because no one else would support. Once I stopped doing that for randoms that don't work together I was having a good time again.

If we lose that badly, I leave at the end of the end of the match. Every now and then I find a decent set of players who coordinate pushes, I choose heroes that we need rather than I want to play. I stick with them till I lose.

Crisco

Banned
I don't have the patience to play Reinhardt with random players, especially with games that require a push. I can't rally the troops behind me and I end up just pushing in basically alone to my death, when I give up on the idea of a quality team push.

This is why I've started using Zarya to tank in most pub matches. Her ability to shield her teammates while becoming the most dangerous damage dealer on front lines works great with randoms. Whereas Reinhardt can almost be ignored when teammates aren't hiding behind his shield, Zarya provides a much more potent threat that must be dealt with or else.

I gotta branch out in my characters. I see all you guys taking about them and I don't even know how Hanzo plays. I'm gonna be a scrub when I try him and everyone will be all "there's another random picking Hanzo"

Play against AI for a match and get a feel for him. He's not too difficult to play, but you do kind of need to learn how to lead shots since his arrows have a pretty long travel time.

If Blizzard are genuinely serious about turning this game into an e-sport, then they'll need to add a LAN mode that can be played in tournaments.

Violet_0

Banned
Post your specs?
My 2500k and 550 ti runs the game just fine, although everything is on the lowest settings.
I've heard reports of people running this with modern integrated graphics on pretty good settings.

It runs on my laptop which is a 2.6ghz i7 and an nvidia 750m at ~70fps on all medium with some high settings.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz
Graphics card: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series

according to systemrequirementlab it won't run it, not suprinsingly - my laptop and graphic card are pretty old. On the other hand, it wasn't supposed to run DA:I either and that went alright. I'd just like to do a quick test without actually having to buy the game

This is why I've started using Zarya to tank in most pub matches. Her ability to shield her teammates while becoming the most dangerous damage dealer on front lines works great with randoms. Whereas Reinhardt can almost be ignored when teammates aren't hiding behind his shield, Zarya provides a much more potent threat that must be dealt with or else.

EXACTLY.

BFiYIxy.png

Gator86

The trick is to kill Torbjorn before or at the same time as the turret which is doable if the guy is sticking to his turret.

Although I do agree 3-4 Torbjorn running around with their rivet guns and their turrets placed is a bit too powerful.

Yup, 3 Torbs with a Symmetra and anything else on Anubis B is actual hell. That's 13 sources of fire on you if everyone has their turrets down, not to mention the Mei or whatever else is on the team. Even that doesn't account for the fact you're looking at basically a 100% uptime on a Torb special, so if you do make some progress, he activates the death zone and wrecks your entire team.

Frustrates me to no fucking end that the majority of players pick Hanzo/Reaper/Genji/McCree and leave everyone else to make up the support and defense. Can't wait for competitive play and PRAY they dont allow stacking. We'll see how this weekend's no stacking plays out in the competition.

I play tank or healer most games, Torbjorn for specific maps if no others picked him but Reinhardt requires coordination that either takes, luck, patience or charisma that I just don't possess with random players.

I agree, she's super dangerous when flanking the enemy team.

Everytime I die to her primary, I usually just think it's one of her turrets killing me, until I actually see my health diminish exponentially....

She is super dangerous if used correctly. Dying to Symmetra pisses me off a lot for some reason lol

X-Frame

I've heard people say Zarya looks like Emma Watson and I can somewhat see it, haha.

I also didn't know her look was based on a Blizzard employee, that's pretty cool.

When I see Reinhardts I tend to use 76 for sheer fire support if someone isn't doing it, which is obviously hit or miss. Rein needs fire from the back or he's just holding a big shield. It's amazing how many people still don't get that.

ALSO PROTECT YOUR MERCY, MERCY WILL WIN A GAME.

XaosWolf

Solo queuing?

I found I have a better time when I'm solo queuing just playing heroes I enjoy and wreaking havoc on their team. I used to get upset when people wouldn't PTFO and I would lose as a result. Always ended up as Lucio/Mercy because no one else would support. Once I stopped doing that for randoms that don't work together I was having a good time again.

If we lose that badly, I leave at the end of the end of the match. Every now and then I find a decent set of players who coordinate pushes, I choose heroes that we need rather than I want to play. I stick with them till I lose.

I actually was grouped up with a friend, and we were doing well by ourselves as Junkrat and Zarya. (Or if we needed something done then Mercy and Zarya)

As for leaving and finding new players, we did. Just today in particular I've just had too long a run of complete berks who run out the front gate into the awaiting teams bullets.
I even had a shield up as soon as the door opened and they ran through it and died immediately. =/

so what character you think have the highest skill cap ?

To me I think Reinhart and Genji have a very high skill cap potential.

Widowmaker is brutal in the hand of anyone used to CS GO, but I don't think she's have a skill ceiling as high as the other two.

Genji combine lots of movement options, like tracer, but also more shooting option, more melee option and more defensive/offensive option. I think he has the most tools and the best one to master to be a true killing machine. Same goes for Reinhart. Offensive Reinhart is brutal.

Canucked

Play against AI for a match and get a feel for him. He's not too difficult to play, but you do kind of need to learn how to lead shots since his arrows have a pretty long travel time.

Yeah I think I'm gonna take an afternoon this weekend and play a bunch of characters like that. I'll still jump online for some Mercy and Reinhardt because I fucking love this game.

Zaventem

What do you figure they'll do with McCree nerf? Put roll & flashbang on the same cooldown? I mean, you'll still kill the weaker heroes with this as easy as right now, but tanks should stay alive at least.

I never liked that they INCREASED his damage from 60 to 70 I mean wtf it's a god damn hit scan character it wasn't even necessary.

Awful games all round today. Its like people are playing their very first game.

What I've seen today:
  • Ignore Objective at all costs
  • No Healer/Support
  • No Tank
  • Offense heroes only
  • Two McCrees (if either had spammed FTH it would have been a breath of fresh air)
  • Three Widowmakers on Attack
  • No shooting through Reinhardt's shield
  • Everyone roams
  • Scatter at 5m from Payload win
  • Literally standing out in the open to die

... I think I'm done for today. =|

Reinhardt is only good for blocking, as his GIANT HAMMER is weak as shit and has a super spotty hitbox.

I've just chilled out and stop letting this stuff get to me. Also I've been wanting to play other characters after being the only guy that would go support or tank so sorry, sorry, sorry.

One thing though. Widowmaker can be a game-changer on Attack. You just have to be aggressive with her. I've had some great games helping my team clear a payload or trying to cap a contended point. If you keep pressure on/kill their Bastion/turret or their tank it can change everything. She is also great at taking out Symetra's (sp?) traps from a distance. Plus her super is really underrated. Being able to see where enemies are is huge for your team.

tariniel

Is there a resource or a guide somewhere that I can learn which heros counter what? For example if there's a Reaper running amok and I need to counter him, etc. Some are more obvious than others but still I need to learn about it properly. Also, perhaps in the game vein, which heros are good on what maps, etc.

Edit: I found a bunch of sites that list hero counters already, but still looking for heros on a per-map basis if anyone know where to find it. For example, on x map with y support, Roadhog > Reinhardt, or something like that.

borghe

The problem is there is no way to spend X amount of money to get a particular bit of fluff.

In Hearthstone for example you can spend a certain amount of money and even if you don't get the card you're looking for you can disenchant everything and craft the card you're looking for.

Overwatch is actually the same way as Hearthstone. After WAY TOO MANY bundles bought between myself and friends (we are over 20 right now) per 50 crates the average seems to be

~3 random legendary costumes
~2000 credits

I haven't been ballsy enough (or care enough) to do bundles lower than 50. But yes, for your $40 spent, 5+ legendary skins is pretty close to certain with two of them being specific (i.e. purchased) my most recent bundle last night was

2200 credits
3 legendary skins

that's not where I pulled me numbers from however.. again between myself and my friends we have over 20 bundles. just coincidence that my most recent pull lined up almost perfectly.

So skins are "sort of kind of basically" about $8 each when you spend $40. The catch being that you can only outright buy two out of five of those skins.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Nah, reinhardt is actually super fucking scary if people try to engage him in his range. Build up your earthshaker and you can wipe the whole attack team. Run around swinging if people are approaching you. The hitbox on it is stupid and it does massive damage.

Heng

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz
Graphics card: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series

according to systemrequirementlab it won't run it, not suprinsingly - my laptop and graphic card are pretty old. On the other hand, it wasn't supposed to run DA:I either and that went alright. I'd just like to do a quick test without actually having to buy the game
In my experience, those minimum requirements are not the true minimum requirements; they are just the specs recommended for a consistent gameplay. Do you have any friends that would let you test the game on your laptop?

arimanius

ehhhhhhh... there is "I'm not playing an esport here" and then there is "I like playing with a FOV of 45". audio placement is a major part of the game. MAJOR. Not sure about on consoles, but if you're not playing with headphones and Atmos turned on on PC, you are hurting your team considerably.

I don't even think many pros turn Atmos on. The couple I watch streams of have mention they don't.

Violet_0

Banned
  • No Healer/Support
  • No Tank
  • Offense heroes only

say, are people already complaining about champion selection and their team mates foregoing tanks and support for more aggresive champions, while not picking a tank or support themself? Then Overwatch has truly reached MOBA status
In my experience, those minimum requirements are not the true minimum requirements; they are just the specs recommended for a consistent gameplay. Do you have any friends that would let you test the game on your laptop?
don't think so. Guess I'll just have to wait until Blizz releases a demo at some point

Raptor

Lols.

Last night I was the only tank and I was rein, I was with my wall up, nobody behind me and some of them in front of me getting killed, said fuck it and went Reaper at least to have some fun getting killed too.

:(

borghe

I don't even think many pros turn Atmos on. The couple I watch streams of have mention they don't.

I've played with and without. With no scientific testing but lots of comparisons, distance and direction are both much clearer with it on.

SDCowboy

I love when there is a healer standing next to me, and I'm begging for heals, and they just keep DPSing or just moving around. lol

Zaventem

so what character you think have the highest skill cap?

Zarya because the level of coordination needed even her ultimate is a teamwork thing, tracer because of even if she's the poster child for overwatch zipping in and out effectively requires so much work and of course genji with his crazy movement.

Ardenyal

say, are people already complaining about champion selection and their team mates foregoing tanks and support for more aggresive champions, while not picking a tank or support themself? Then Overwatch has truly reached MOBA status

You can't play multiple characters by yourself. This should be obvious.

Sora_N

I've been trying to get decent at Bastion, played on both Attack and Defense.

What's a good kind of spot to camp at for Bastion? I have had some successes but often get shot to death. Not sure if my reaction is just too slow or I'm doing the turret at a bad spot.

XaosWolf

I was playing healer and my friend was playing tank. It's more that the roles they were picking were played poorly and numerous times requesting healing when behind enemy lines.

borghe

no. that's the god damn problem. I pick damage, let the timer expire, and we're in the lobby with no heal and/or tank. So then I pick heal or tank. probably 80% of the games I'm in. I WANT to play more damage, like ANY CHANCE I GET I play damage, yet 80% of my time played it tank or support.

Think about that.. I let the timer expire to the lobby.. and in 80% of the games I'm in I have to pick either tank or support in the staging area because the team didn't already fill those roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom