• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got mine on Dorado Attack.

I shadowstepped onto the bridge near the midway point then dropped down yelling DIE DIE DIE. That's the best way to get that achievement I think. A drop that people don't notice until it's too late.

I've gotten a quad kill twice. Once dropping in on Route 66 (warped on top of the gas station, in front of the sign, then dropped down), and another in Ilios. Ilios has a lot of tight alleyways where you can sneak up behind groups, if you get the drop on a group make sure you soften up any tanks with a couple of shots before triggering it.

I've seen a lot of PotGs where a Reaper walks up to a group in Transendence and just fires away after it wears off, that's always funny to see.

Plum

Well, GAF...

jvsIqgz.gif

Despite me insisting that I wouldn't buy the game I gave into what I heard on here (and other sites) and bought it on Tuesday. Played around 6 hours so far and my god is it the funnest thing I've played in a long while. Even with entirely public matches where I lose more times than win the mere act of playing the game is great.

After trying out a bunch of classes I've settled into either Tracer or Lucio if the situation doesn't demand another technique (i.e. nobody's pushing and we need a Reindhart). Tracer is so goddamn fun to play, even with her small health pool being able to really annoy the enemy team behind their lines is perhaps my favorite thing to do. Getting that perfect placement and timing for her (admittedly quite bad) ultimate to do some proper damage feels amazing. As for Lucio, I haven't played much of him yet but the 5 or 6 games I have played with him I've enjoyed every bit. He's a lot more involved than Mercy and I like that I don't have to rely so much on enemy positioning to effectively heal. Maybe I just have a thing for fast heroes, I tried Reinhardt and whilst he's incredibly effective on a payload/defending I just hate not being able to quickly get anywhere.

So yeah, GAF you won me over on this game. I'm not that great of a player, and I don't have a mic, but I'd love to play with an actual team (or at least a few other people) some time. Unfortunately, I don't know how that's possible since I've never been here for a game like this before

peakish

When do you guys give up on heroes? No matter how much I try I can't click with any of the "dps" guys except 76. I havent touched Genji or Pharah but I just cant play Tracer/Mcree/Reaper. I think its because i cant flank for shit or be sneaky (I always hated "rogue-types" in games) so im just trash with those 3, and I assume Genji will be the same.
I play them for a little bit at the start of a game and if it doesn't work out I switch to something useful. I get some practice in at least, especially if the rest of the team can carry for a bit.

Lucio is my second most played hero completely by accident. I mean, literally multiple hours at a time of playing nothing but Lucio. 61 total Lucio games with a 70.5% winrate because I just wanted to win, but no more. I want to play Pharah. If we lose, whatever, but I'm tired of Lucio. I hate Lucio. I can't take it anymore. (I'll end up playing Lucio again tonight for sure because having a Lucio is how you win. Losing is awful, but I'm gonna vent anyway man.)
I way overplayed Lucio because of this. Now if I feel like playing Pharah I pick first and change only at the last moment if someone else doesn't pick a healer. Usually someone steps up.

In return I sometimes pick a healer at once.

finalflame

No im not salty but saying she takes high skill is just ridiculous. She is one of the easiest chars in the game.

Like any character, playing a GOOD Pharah is not easy. I find her super satisfying, and mediocre to low level pubs tend to ignore verticality so striking from above totally aludes them.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Welp, I fot a Legendary Skin... for Symmetra, a character I'm horrible at.

And a Highlight Intro for Tracer.

At least I got a Legendary Skin.

Got a quadrakill with D.Va's ultimate last night! Play of the Game and achievement unlocked! We lost in the end but it felt SO good that I wasn't even mad.

When finishing a player off with melee as Mercy with low health she'll sometimes say "might not want to tell your friends about that." Do other characters have sayings like this and does the enemy player hear it?

ExVicis

Got a quadrakill with D.Va's ultimate last night! Play of the Game and achievement unlocked! We lost in the end but it felt SO good that I wasn't even mad.
Getting a good Play of the Game with an Ult or an Ult and regular good playing is so satisfying. I have a PotG as Reinhardt that's and Ult and charge off a cliff on a KotH that gave me a quad-kill.

Like any character, playing a GOOD Pharah is not easy. I find her super satisfying, and mediocre to low level pubs tend to ignore verticality so striking from above totally aludes them.

Yeah, you try hitting mid airs on another Pharah from beyond 40 meters.

It's like BVR in a Wild Weasel.

You get shut down by Roadhog and his air burst shotgun garbage, his hook...Soldier 76, any snipers, any shitscan.

But when it goes well and the enemy Pharah literally quits after getting juggled, it goes SO WELL.

It took me too much time to acclimate to zero projectile inheritance from even Ascend's 50, just like it took me a while to go from 0 to 100 in T2.

Ranmo

I wonder if this is a viable strategy for permanently contesting the payload when you're defending

Maybe, might have to test it in a bot match for science. It was a hilarious situation to be in. At first I didn't understand what was wrong until I looked around a bit.

ManCannon

If you leave before the match ends does it count as a loss? Or at least some kind of penalty? So tired of randoms bailing mid-match when things get off to a shaky start > <

Zemm

When people say Pharah is a high skill character

0279_0mnan4un3.gif

She requires more skill to use than most of the characters tbh, her rockets don't have a big splash radius so you need to be accurate with them, you need to know when and how long to stay in the air for, you need to know when to use the knockback especially on maps with cliffs or drops, and she has a low amount of HP.

Welp, I fot a Legendary Skin... for Symmetra, a character I'm horrible at.

And a Highlight Intro for Tracer.

At least I got a Legendary Skin.

Prior to launch I thought Symmetra would be the character I play the least and now she's in my top 5. Her charge shot when you learn how to use it can be really effective, especially since it goes through Reinhardt's shield and can't be deflected or cancelled by Genji and Dva. Not to mention her turrets. I'm not sure how I feel about her shield ability, can't get a sense if the added points for other characters really helps a lot or not but I throw it on everyone whenever I have the chance.

I am garbage with Tracer though. Not sure if my 32 year old brain who didn't grow up playing competitive FPS games is capable of handling her at the speed required to be truly effective.

Ranmo

Fuck Anubis can be we scratch that map already

It's rough and super leaned towards Defense but it's a great map. I'd like to see how they can adjust the map to balance it a bit more. Maybe move the spawn point for attackers? Part of the problem is how close the defense spawn is to point B, and how far point B is from the defense spawn. It's super far back.

I guess they could extend the map a bit so that the defense spawn isn't that close, but that seems like it would take more work.

If you leave before the match ends does it count as a loss? Or at least some kind of penalty? So tired of randoms bailing mid-match when things get off to a shaky start > <

They don't get xp for not finishing the match, plus they get mark for an amount of time. If they leave often from matches within a timeframe, they get a leaver penalty of -75% xp gain. Dunno how long that lasts.

No im not salty but saying she takes high skill is just ridiculous. She is one of the easiest chars in the game.

As somebody who mains her, I'd characterize her as "easy to learn, hard to master." To play her well, you really need to realize that despite wearing armor and firing off rockets, she's much better used as a flanker than a front-line fighter. As some have said, she's surprisingly good at countering McCree as long as you catch him by surprise and hit him with one or two good hits before he realizes what's happening. Most McCree's I've played against are more likely to run for cover and save their fleeting health instead of risking looking up to aim and taking a rocket in the face. And most times, they don't make it in time.

Also, one of her best uses is providing suppressing fire: if you see someone poking out of a doorway, don't stop firing rockets just because they went back in to cover. Keep firing the rest of your clip in that direction until they A) stupidly poke their face back out and get it blewed up or B) are forced to pick another route. Nothing more satisfying than managing to drive Widowmaker away from one of her precious sniping spots and forcing her to relocate before she can pick you off.

And her ult. is, IMO, one of the hardest ones to utilize properly without getting your head shot off, but the most satisfying when it's pulled off well. It's all about timing, making sure that the enemy is wrapped up with fighting a bunch of enemies on the ground before hitting them from above and the side with a rain of death. As long as you prioritize the right targets (i.e. Soldier: 76 and Bastion), you'll take out the true dangers before they even know what's happening. And it's absolutely one of the best ways to deal with a frustrating Reinhardt block, as well-aimed it can take down his shields and take HIM down at the same time.

As somebody who played her very poorly when I first started (I helped propagate the meme of "Justice rains fro-AAAAGGGHH!" very often in my early matches), learning her potential has been a lot of fun.

RowdyReverb

I've had no issues with Mei so far. My friend is telling me that she's really OP but I haven't felt this.
I don't think she's OP, but I could see why people would say that. Her abilities are just very obvious and getting frozen is probably the most unpleasant way to die in the game. She is the ultimate troll character

Getting a good Play of the Game with an Ult or an Ult and regular good playing is so satisfying. I have a PotG as Reinhardt that's and Ult and charge off a cliff on a KotH that gave me a quad-kill.
Oh wow, that's awesome, props to you! I like playing Reinhardt but haven't really succeeded with his ult so far. Seriously, well done.

And yeah, those PotG are just so good to watch. You can imagine what the other team was thinking at that moment.

vypek

Is it possible to survive the hook & headshot from Roadhog? Trying to figure out which characters have the HP to do so

RowdyReverb

When finishing a player off with melee as Mercy with low health she'll sometimes say "might not want to tell your friends about that." Do other characters have sayings like this and does the enemy player hear it?
I just got this earlier. Made me chuckle
Is it possible to survive the hook & headshot from Roadhog? Trying to figure out which characters have the HP to do so
If you time your barrier right with Zarya, you can basically get a free kill when Roadhog hooks you in

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Roadhog is like the Pyro in TF2. We'll never see his face.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
portraitchanges.jpg

The level 100 portraits are just awful, those clipart stars are dreadful and the fact they overlap the number really bothers me. The wings are nice but damn I hope they improve the stars.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
portraitchanges.jpg

The level 100 portraits are just awful, those clipart stars are dreadful and the fact they overlap the number really bothers me. The wings are nice but damn I hope they improve the stars.

How the hell have people reached well past a hundred already?

MrHoot

Honestly the more you get into the game the more you can see how hilariously broken some characters are in the hands of capable players.

More and more, tracers and mccrees who can just wreck teams because they have all the tools to take on anyone for a very long time. On the other hand characters like D.va which are utterly useless in most scenarios unless they are off tanks. Hell, a capable widowmaker can just nullify a team's existence, since blizzard decided to balance her ages ago by being mostly counterable by another widowmaker

And no, the little counter scenarios that blizzard came up with but these don't come into account at higher level plays

Roadhog's gun can do up to 225 damage in a shot, so if you get a good headshot in and add a melee attack on top only tanks should be surviving that without considering scrap armor and Symmetra shields.

Zaventem

Yes another mccree complain but seriously out damaging reaper thanks to fan the hammer makes me just not want to play reaper. The range is much greater too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom