• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Banned
I agree here, If you're a McCree, then it's your duty to take out the opposing team's Tracer.

Come to think of it, which character and skills are good counters for Tracer? I hate her blinking in and out, shooting people, recall, blink, shoot, etc. like a pesky mosquito.

Roadhog counters Tracer pretty well.
Torbjorn with his turret + shotgun works pretty well, especially when he has armor on.
Mei CAN be decent against Tracer, but needs to work pretty hard on it.

Asd202

McCree is a good counter to fidgety, fast characters, like Tracer, so the flashbang is not OP at all to me.

He destroys tanks too.

Torbjorn with his turret + shotgun works pretty well, especially when he has armor on.

What is weird with Roadhog is that Genji can use his E skill after getting hooked but not Tracer. Maybe they should raise the the stun for Genji so that he can't use his E skill after getting hooked so that it's consistent with other characters.

Unless the other team has a widowmaker or Hanzo. They have to be really bad to not one shot him.

You have to be a pretty bad Zenyatta to get killed by a Hanzo.

He should never be able to see you and if he can you should be bouncing around so much he can't hit you anyway. The whole point of his kit is for you to be able to provide buffs and debuffs without putting yourself in harms way very much. If you play him like he's Mercy or Lucio (in plain sight with the rest of the team, in the middle of fights) well then yea...you'll get your ass beat. That's not how you play Zenyatta.

Tracer v Mei 1v1 is an easy win for mei, but shes not exactly the search and destroy type.
If tracer spots you early the its easy for her to escape and find a better target to piss off.

Zenyatta is unplayable for me. Don't know why, but I just can't use him..feels bad lol. I like the design so I wish I was good enough.

You just gotta think of zenyatta similar to mercy except his range on healing is line of sight. And at minimum you heal for 3 seconds so 120 hp, which isn't bad for the range and lack of cooldown. It's also only 30 hp less than a mercy would heal in the same time, except mercy needs to get much closer and thus more vulnerable.

Orb of discord is where he really shines. Zero cooldown that lasts at least 3 seconds, more than enough time to kill anyone in the game generally speaking. Makes him hit about as hard as mccree regardless of range and his clip is like 20-25 shots rather than 6.

And his ult is really top notch if you need to deal with a lot of midrange defenders imo. 100hp per second iirc.

The challenge of zenyatta is balancing both the orbs while DPSing and maintaining solid positioning. There are good reasons why he isn't a heavily picked support, but he does work when played well. Against heavy tank comps, I'd rather a mercy switch to zenyatta (usually also running a lucio or second support already btw) rather than switch to accommodate a surprise extra winston or something like that.

Winston works pretty well too against her.

If winston ever kills tracer, it's probably because the tracer made a mistake. It's just way too easy to stay out of his range while pouring damage into his huge hit box. If he gets the drop on tracer, recall ensures getting back to full clip plus full health in a single move, often also putting her out of range in a single sweep.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Genji's shurikens need to either be faster or get some of that hitbox magic that Hanzo gets.

Genji's shurikens are just fine. They're potent, they have no drop, and they're great mid range.

Klyka

Banned
Zenyata + Soldier 76 is awesome because you Orb of Discord anyone and Soldier than completely destroys them with his long range, accurate gun while also keeping himself and Zenyatta healed. Oh and Zenyatta meanwhile ALSO does a ton of damage.

edit:

That Hanzo sure is overpowered!
McCree sure is totally fine!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Hanzo is actually really well balanced. his hitboxes just need to be a tad smaller.

and damn that McCree...

I hope they don't buff d.va to much. I love to play her and for know I never have to "fight" someone to be the one playing her..

Nyx

I always find those tier lists annoying.
They're relevant for high level play, but for the other 6.9 million people playing the game not so much.

And it only encourages lower level players to go for the flavor of the month.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
If winston ever kills tracer, it's probably because the tracer made a mistake. It's just way too easy to stay out of his range while pouring damage into his huge hit box. If he gets the drop on tracer, recall ensures getting back to full clip plus full health in a single move, often also putting her out of range in a single sweep.

Depending on how long you end up going toe to toe with tracer then you can normal have a good idea where recall is going to send her, then you leap back onto her to continue.

I'm not saying he's a counter i'm just saying he is pretty good at keeping her at bay. To be honest if you're stuck in a 1v1 with tracer long enough for her to kill you then the Winston has made a big mistake there.

Klyka

Banned
They're relevant for high level play, but for the other 6.9 million people playing the game not so much.

What it shows you,is that what the masses perceive as "OP" and "broken" is not even close to being that, because professional players would IMMEDIATELY jump on that cause they actually play to win at all costs.

Zenyata + Soldier 76 is awesome because you Orb of Discord anyone and Soldier than completely destroys them with his long range, accurate gun while also keeping himself and Zenyatta healed. Oh and Zenyatta meanwhile ALSO does a ton of damage.

edit:

I cant wait for that mei buff

tumblr_static_64d0v8n83z8kk0owgk8g8gg4s_640_v2.gif

Xater

I get why you would pick Widowmaker over Hanzo in competitive. The shots are more reliable and the ultimate is very beneficial to the whole team. Hanzo's ult is great for pub stomping but you won't see pros falling for that one in droves.

elyetis

If you guys seriously believe Hanzo is a strong or even an "OP" character, than I can't help you.
He is clearly feel weaker than widowmaker ( but tbh I hate with passion OHK sniper since counter strike, I know it reward skill but I just think it's a truly unfun ).
But I actually hate dying from hanzo more than I do from widowmaker, because more often than not I wasn't even the target of the arrow which kill me.

Without going into the pro-balance, I just find completely bullshit that Zenyatta die from a charged body shot from widowmaker.

FeD.nL

So you are for including character limit in competitive play?

Well that would be the easiest solution. But I'd really like to see Blizzard attempt to balance the game first in such a way that a diverse team is the way to go. I was kinda letdown by the amount of times that a player would switch heroes in the tournament past weekend. I really want to see these dynamic matches where you are swapping heroes in an out constantly to counter what the opposing team is playing, and not the static 2 McCree set-up.

But we'll see how the game is when they apply the first retail balance patch.

Klyka

Banned
Unfortunately for Hanzo, Mei, and Torbjorn, the current Meta of Competitive Overwatch abides by the saying "The Best Defense is a good Offense," and thus are very rarely picked except as a joke.

pfffhhahaha

I love it.

Plum

Depending on how long you end up going toe to toe with tracer then you can normal have a good idea where recall is going to send her, then you leap back onto her to continue.

I'm not saying he's a counter i'm just saying he is pretty good at keeping her at bay. To be honest if you're stuck in a 1v1 with tracer long enough for her to kill you then the Winston has made a big mistake there.

If I know I'm losing a fight when going against a Winston I try and just blink away. It's too much hassle trying to kill him in cases like that since his lightning gun can just tear me to shreds easily.

And yeah, if he pursues me he's just giving me what I want by getting him away from the objective, this goes for any other character really.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
If I know I'm losing a fight when going against a Winston I try and just blink away. It's too much hassle trying to kill him in cases like that since his lightning gun can just tear me to shreds easily.

And yeah, if he pursues me he's just giving me what I want by getting him away from the objective, this goes for any other character really.

That line sums it up. If you've got a Winston chasing you long enough to keep him away from the fight then you are doing your job.

Winston and Tracer are meant to fight on opposite sides of the line. Tracer harassing behind Winstons team and vice versa.

Nyx

What it shows you,is that what the masses perceive as "OP" and "broken" is not even close to being that, because professional players would IMMEDIATELY jump on that cause they actually play to win at all costs.

Got a point there, though I still keep ignoring it myself and play whichever hero I like. Bottom tier or not. :)

Apparently McCree has been top tier all the way through beta. Some characters in games are teflon coated when it comes to nerfs sticking on them. Like in fps you are almost always safe playing only the generic sniper kit and if the devs dare to rebalance you can be sure that it will not be some minor incident to the community.

I think this quote sums it up well:

I understand why mccree is a much more common pick. But once they change mccree, I think soldier is going to be more appealing than he currently is as a result. He is more consistent and higher midrange damage.

I personally think he is a stronger counter to tracer too, because helix rockets plus 2 body shots (or 1 headshot) = good night tracer. A good tracer is not gonna get hit by flashbang as much as people think they would, since they can DPS just fine outside of flashbang range, and dodge it if their reaction time is enough.

And funny that they mention why bring roadhog when you can bring reinhardt or winston, because roadhog actually performs really well against both. I think roadhog is a really strong counter to winston. And if you're playing a reinhardt + winston vs reinhardt + roadhog, I'd rather be the roadhog side of that match up due to the amount of damage he can pour into the shield to break it.

Apparently McCree has been top tier all the way through beta. Some characters in games are teflon coated when it comes to nerfs sticking on them.

Outside of the damage drop off nerf, McCree was barely even touched. They added a slight delay after fan the hammer which changed nothing about how you play him. And they modified flashbang in a way that imo really was more of a buff than a nerf in most situations, so net gain there.

Klyka

Banned
I understand why mccree is a much more common pick. But once they change mccree, I think soldier is going to be more appealing than he currently is as a result. He is more consistent and higher midrange damage.

I personally think he is a stronger counter to tracer too, because helix rockets plus 2 body shots (or 1 headshot) = good night tracer. A good tracer is not gonna get hit by flashbang as much as people think they would, since they can DPS just fine outside of flashbang range, and dodge it if their reaction time is enough.

And funny that they mention why bring roadhog when you can bring reinhardt or winston, because roadhog actually performs really well against both. I think roadhog is a really strong counter to winston. And if you're playing a reinhardt + winston vs reinhardt + roadhog, I'd rather be the roadhog side of that match up due to the amount of damage he can pour into the shield to break it.

The reason pros pick Winston and Reinhardt is also because they can do something against the Widowmakers which rule the game with impunity otherwise.

Plum

That line sums it up. If you've got a Winston chasing you long enough to keep him away from the fight then you are doing your job.

Winston and Tracer are meant to fight on opposite sides of the line. Tracer harassing behind Winstons team and vice versa.

I'm dreading the day when people realize that most of the time pursuing a Tracer is not a good idea. Even if I die in the process I've still wasted seconds of the valuable time they could have spent getting to the objective.

Her ult is amazing for frontline tanks/turrets though. If I get a stick on Winston and he isn't being healed he's as good as dead. I only ever use it in situations like that because the AoE is just too small to be effective a lot of the time.

I love the charged up ball that Symmetra uses. It's amazing how many Reinhardts I've caught off guard with that. It's especially satisfying getting multi kills when people are bunched up behind him.

Hyun Sai

Apparently McCree has been top tier all the way through beta. Some characters in games are teflon coated when it comes to nerfs sticking on them. Like in fps you are almost always safe playing only the generic sniper kit and if the devs dare to rebalance you can be sure that it will not be some minor incident to the community.

On the other hand they nerfed Zenyatta to the ground, and the fact that he dropped from S tiers in the beta to garbage tiers at release is hilarious. But who gives a shit about this zen robot monk throwing orbs right ?

On the other hand they nerfed Zenyatta to the ground, and the fact that he dropped from S tiers in the beta to garbage tiers at release is hilarious. But who gives a shit about this zen robot monk throwing orbs right ?

Yeah for sure if you play a weird hybrid character rather than a point-click-delete character you better expect a rocky ride when it comes to balance. That's where the flavour of the month is.

I want winstons to try and chase me. And if they jump to my recall spot, you just blink away and his jump is already on cooldown. Tracer is does 240 damage per clip, not including headshots, at 40rps... so effectively 240+ dps per winston every other second. She can do it outside the tesla range too. Winston has 500 hp, including reloads, it takes about 3 seconds to kill him. With tracer's ult, it takes about a second to kill him.

I don't think tracer ever loses vs winston without a mistake or starting heavily disadvantaged.

The reason pros pick Winston and Reinhardt is also because they can do something against the Widowmakers which rule the game with impunity otherwise.

Of course... just saying that there are strong uses for him. Reinhardt + roadhog is incredibly strong imo.

Klyka

Banned
I want winstons to try and chase me. And if they jump to my recall spot, you just blink away and his jump is already on cooldown. Tracer is does 240 damage per clip, not including headshots, at 40rps... so effectively 240+ dps per winston every other second. She can do it outside the tesla range too. Winston has 500 hp, including reloads, it takes about 3 seconds to kill him. With tracer's ult, it takes about a second to kill him.

I don't think tracer ever loses vs winston without a mistake or starting heavily disadvantaged.

Winston has 100 Armor, which reduces each hit Tracer does by 5 damage.

So he lives a little longer.

I can't believe how addicting this game is.

Some random guy invited me as a friend, then me, him + 4 other friends of his went on to play 15 games with 10 wins and 5 losses. For me they were just some random guys on the internet, we didn't even have voice chat, but after a while I did get feel of how they like to play and adapt myself to that.

Solo or group, this game is very fun to play.

My most played heroes:
1) Mercy
2) Lucio
3) Torbjörn
4) Genji

Rest characters are 20 minutes played or less.

Winston has 100 Armor, which reduces each hit Tracer does by 5 damage.

So he lives a little longer.

Yeah, I thought he might. I didn't remember the amount and it's not listed on oversheet. I still think he gets destroyed by tracer though. I think his barrier is a bigger deterrent to his immediate and unavoidable death than the armor, but it does factor in.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, I thought he might. I didn't remember the amount and it's not listed on oversheet. I still think he gets destroyed by tracer though. I think his barrier is a bigger deterrent to his immediate and unavoidable death than the armor, but it does factor in.

I agree that in a 1vs1 the Tracer will usually win.
Obviously not always, but a lot of the times.

I like to use WInston as a Tracer deterrent.
When there is a decent Tracer running around going for your backline, I use Winston to quickly jump on top of them, shield my teammate and scare the Tracer away while usually wounding her heavily with the gun.

It works quite well and some Tracers will get super frustrated with it.

I agree that in a 1vs1 the Tracer will usually win.
Obviously not always, but a lot of the times.

I like to use WInston as a Tracer deterrent.
When there is a decent Tracer running around going for your backline, I use Winston to quickly jump on top of them, shield my teammate and scare the Tracer away while usually wounding her heavily with the gun.

It works quite well and some Tracers will get super frustrated with it.

Yeah, tracer is gonna run when her attack is suddenly interrupted by a huge monkey. Not gonna find that 1v2 fight to be often favorable for sure.

edit:

Literally the only reason Hanzo is so low is because Widow is better. Why use the inferior sniper if you're try-harding?

His E is overpowered and his projectiles are too forgiving.

Symmetra's kit is amazing. Not biased at all here.

I would like her E to be reworked to be more interactive and feel more impactful. Otherwise she is really fun.

Klyka

Banned
Literally the only reason Hanzo is so low is because Widow is better. Why use the inferior sniper if you're try-harding?

His E is overpowered and his projectiles are too forgiving.

I don't think Hanzo is a Widowmaker nerf away from being the new top tier broken sniper :D

Dr. Buni

I would like her E to be reworked to be more interactive and feel more impactful. Otherwise she is really fun.
I like her ability to shield allies. Maybe they could allow Symmetra to refresh the shields by targeting allies again? I dunno. That said, she is already quite the active character, if you are playing her well. I am always constantly spamming her M2 and replacing turrets, especially when the other team is contesting, shit gets crazy.

Slightly unrelated but I love playing Symmetra with a Zenyatta in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom