• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know how Zarya's damage boost worked at first but now that I figured it out she's a freaking beast (under the right circumstances). Pulling numbers better than I get on offensive heroes. Managed to Daigo parry a bunch of ults too.

It is not optimal but Symmetra works in attack too. Haven't really played her in attack since the release, only in the beta ^^

On the subject I had my ass kicked by a Torbjorn in attack twice. It wasn't even mad.

Ugh, reminds me of my one loss last night. Warning bells went off when two team members picked Torbjorn AND Bastion at the start of the match... on Attack. "Well, maybe they know what they're doing," I optimistically told myself. Nope. Absolute curb-stop and defeat.

But yeah, I've never had the nerve to pick Symmetra on Attack, even though she's surprisingly effective in open combat as long as you get a good flank and your teammates are keeping the enemy occupied. Maybe I'll give it a shot, though.

When defending i think Symmetra's ult is easily the most powerful in the game.

The main reason attacking teams win the first check point is because it takes so long for defending players to get back to the action after being eliminated.

Also who the hell are these people using her to attack? i must be missing something.

I've seen it work. Most maps have these little alcoves or side areas built into the chokepoints, so if you can push into one of those and set up turrets / teleporter, you can really bring the offensive pain thanks to her.

I've also seen people stack her turrets onto a payload. It works for a few surprise kills but eventually a Junkrat or Pharah just gives it the old spam treatment.

Back to Tracer's ult... I think it would be in line to make her STUCK bombs a 100% kill on the stuck target, regardless of health. It's not so easy to do that it would become exploitable. Considering Junkrat's tire is a guaranteed kill that he doesn't even need to be present for, a Tracer with 150 health that can get in that super short range of her ult to tack it onto your back should be rewarded with something more than a quick death or a well-timed Rewind to GTFO, all for an assist.

I wonder how long it will take for pubs to understand good compositions?

I mean, it seems like the vast majority of people think 1 tank and 1 support suffices, so they then pick whatever random damage character.

My take:
2 tanks, 2 support, 2 damage is probably the best composition to start with. But I also think 2 tanks, 1 support, 3 damage, or 2 support, 1 tank, 3 damage is okay. I think things get a bit interesting when you go off the 2:2:2 composition, but 1:1:4 is really not good unless you're match ups line up really well or you really out play them. In short, 1:1:4 tends to be disadvantaged before the fighting starts, and is a few counter picks away from disaster.

Plum

Really short fused today. First 2 matches and both had a full team of roamers.

These assholes bought the game and then act like they've never even touched an FPS before. I know its not exclusive to OW (Battlefield has the same issue whenever I played Rush) but for the love of god FOCUS ON THE FUCKING OBJECTIVE.

Edit: Also fuck McCree. Melted my Reinhardt within 2 seconds with his stun combo.

Yep, the most a team needs of flankers is 1. The job of a Tracer, Dva or Reaper is to screw up the enemy behind their lines. That job can't be done if the entire team is trying to do that.

That's why if I get on a team like that I switch from Tracer to Lucio, and if they already have a healer I go Reinhardt or Roadhog to get on the objective.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Blows my mind how few folks on PC use a mic. About 18 hours of play, and I've encountered maybe five randoms that talk?

In R6 Siege, 90% of the population talks.

Anyway, recently I've said "fuck it," and just talk in the mic the whole game.

"My Lucio ult is ready if three or more can join me to cap point."

"Tracer sneaking behind."

"Hanzo, focus on that widow in top right."

"Three of their team just died, we need to push now."

"Someone flip to genii and take out that turret, please."

It... SURPRISINGLY... often works. I'm not claiming to be great or the best man for the job. But I'm willing to try, and folks seem to rally around that.

It's akin to being frozen and getting a icicle headshot from Mei. It's a free kill as soon you you get stunned and he runs in with a fan. It also allows McCree to take out tanks like Reinhardt with ease.

I'm not saying it's super easy to do but it's the same pattern/strategy all the time by most McCree players at my current level.

I wouldnt worry too much. As skill increases you'll start to see much less of that and you'll begin to see McCree really for what he is... a mid-distance damage dealer and flanker. There's not a "ton" of the 3 foot in front flash bang play in pro comps or high skill play. It's normally a back up or last resort play. Hes much more effective at headshotting mid field opponents.

Volcynika

I enjoyed rocking as Soldier 76 a couple days ago. We had a healer named "HealsForDays" and it was not misleading. We got pushed far back on defense on a payload map, and I went from Pharah to him and was able to help hold back the enemy. Sogood.

Interfectum

It... SURPRISINGLY... often works. I'm not claiming to be great or the best man for the job. But I'm willing to try, and folks seem to rally around that.

I do that on PS4. No one else talks but they do listen. It's a little creepy.

Whenever I'm Reinhardt I'll hop on and just tell people to come to me. They usually do.

maouvin

100 for tanks would mean someone like Roadhog can get 775 health in total with 100 auto regenerate health, 75 damage reduction health and that coupled up with his extremely fast 300HP heal that recharges in 6 seconds would make him an even bigger bullet sponge than he is.

This guy says that, if you have armor, your shields also get the damage reduction. Never checked, but if true it adds a bit more dmg reduction health to the math.

Shane

Blows my mind how few folks on PC use a mic. About 18 hours of play, and I've encountered maybe five randoms that talk?

In R6 Siege, 90% of the population talks.

Anyway, recently I've said "fuck it," and just talk in the mic the whole game.

"My Lucio ult is ready if three or more can join me to cap point."

"Tracer sneaking behind."

"Hanzo, focus on that widow in top right."

"Three of their team just died, we need to push now."

"Someone flip to genii and take out that turret, please."

Ditto. I make calls even when no one else talks.

On one game it came to light the team didn't know there was voice chat (and this is on PC). One of them asked via chat how to do it. I think putting it on ' was intentional by Blizzard to lower the amount of people that use it. Perhaps they think the effort of changing the key prevents insta-poo talking.

Ugh, reminds me of my one loss last night. Warning bells went off when two team members picked Torbjorn AND Bastion at the start of the match... on Attack. "Well, maybe they know what they're doing," I optimistically told myself. Nope. Absolute curb-stop and defeat.

Heh, sounds like the game I had on Hanamura last night. 2x Torb and a Bastion on attack. Went as one would expect. I did clear the first point once singlehandedly as Widowmaker but of course nobody jumped on it with me.

I can see Torb as viable on attack in some maps but I really don't see how he is at all on Hanamura.

nOoblet16

Yeah... It would help D.Va though, with her stupidly huge head hitbox, the more HP she has, the better.

Edit: On the subject of D.Va, I had a match earlier, on Temple of Anubis, where I picked her (we were attacking) and two people on my team picked Widow and Hanzo. Guess who take the blame for the obvious loss? Me. Just great. Also had idiots with the stupid "gg izi" in following matches... I am really not having fun with Overwatch today.

I play D.Va mostly like a pseudo-flanker ._.

The people who post "ez" as soon as the match finishes are the most annoying kind of players.
I mean why would you do that? why? I think I'd actually be less bugged if they wrote easy instead of ez..lol

Dr. Buni

But yeah, I've never had the nerve to pick Symmetra on Attack, even though she's surprisingly effective in open combat as long as you get a good flank and your teammates are keeping the enemy occupied. Maybe I'll give it a shot, though.
Lol, I had a Torbjorn on Route 66 (attack, too) who could barely place a turret before a Pharah deleted them with the turret from existence. It took them a couple deaths until they realized they weren't cut for playing offensive Torbjorn
The people who post "ez" as soon as the match finishes are the most annoying kind of players.

I mean why would you do that? why?
Yeah, I don't get it. Like, I would understand (but still not accept) if people trash talked before a match started, but what is the point of trash talking after it ended?

Klyka

Banned
I mean why would you do that? why? I think I'd actually be less bugged if they wrote easy instead of ez..lol

because they want you to be sure to know that what they just did was very easy for them to do.

I mean, it seems like the vast majority of people think 1 tank and 1 support suffices, so they then pick whatever random damage character.

My take:
2 tanks, 2 support, 2 damage is probably the best composition to start with. But I also think 2 tanks, 1 support, 3 damage, or 2 support, 1 tank, 3 damage is okay. I think things get a bit interesting when you go off the 2:2:2 composition, but 1:1:4 is really not good unless you're match ups line up really well or you really out play them. In short, 1:1:4 tends to be disadvantaged before the fighting starts, and is a few counter picks away from disaster.

This is totally true but i wouldn't consider all the characters in their classes perform that function....if you know what i mean.

e.g. Other than the teleporter, symmetra not really support, where as 76 with the team heal could work a lot better. And D.va has more in common in tracer disrupting the backlines and assassinating soft targets that she does with other tanks like Reinhardt.

because they want you to be sure to know that what they just did was very easy for them to do.

I had a game where one dude called out another dude on his team for saying that. He said something like, "Of course it was easy. You barely did anything." Laughed my ass off

X-Frame

If noboby leaves at the end of a match, do the teams always get shuffled regardless of the outcome of the match?

If it was a close game nobody left, are all the teams the same or not necessarily? Hopefully if it is a blow out (and all solo randoms) the teams would get shuffled.

Dr. Buni

When they win a match during overtime it was pretty clearly not easy, though.
Someone teach me how to play Reinhardt good. Just shielding is so boring.
Charge into people, hit them with the hammer in the face, get back to objective (if alive). Rinse and repeat.

P.S.: Don't do this, I play Reinhardt the complete opposite way he is supposed to be played... supposedly.
e.g. Other than the teleporter, symmetra not really support
Her shields and turrets are definitely support abilities. Turrets are more useful for warning about flanks and slowing down enemies than the damage and how are shields not support abilities? She is a support/defense hybrid, but still mostly a sup.

Her shields and turrets are definitely support abilities. Turrets are more useful for warning about flanks and slowing down enemies than the damage and how are shields not support abilities? She is a support/defense hybrid, but still mostly a sup.

The shield is more or less useless but every little helps i guess. And id consider her turrets to be far more of a defensive tool that support.

I'm not knock her. Shes my second most used character and has by far my highest win rate at 78%
Just saying that personally id only use her for defence unless you going for the crazy teleporter at the attacker spawn or somthing like that.

Dr. Buni

That feeling when you finally get a Legendary skin, and it's fucking goth Zarya.

Kill me.
Sorry about that. I got a legendary for Zarya too, but it is the Siberian skin, which I really like (more than her default costume). I found 4 legendaries (Shark Roadhog, B.Va, Lionhardt, Siberian Zarya) so far and purchased one (Symmetra Goddess). Lv. 55 so far ._.
The shield is more or less useless but every little helps i guess. And id consider her turrets to be far more of a defensive tool that support.
They aren't useless at all, especially when you throw them on Zenyattas and Tracers. Not saying it is the best ability ever, but it is not useless either.

Tanston

I have voice chat turned off on ps4, in public games it's just way too filled with garbage talk and people with open mics in noisy rooms. Maybe i'm old but unless i'm playing with friends or a preformed group that actually wants to try and use a strategy I don't mic up for online games. I feel like I have enough situational awareness to play in sync with the one or two players per pub game that aren't just trying to farm kills even without hearing chat.

ncslamm

My take:

I've had a lot of success playing 2 support (Lucio + Mercy), 2 Tanks (Rein + Zarya/Winston), and 2 Offense/Defense. I had a group on PC last night that all had mics and we were steamrolling everyone like this.

BPK

Ugh, so jealous of all of you who are playing the game. The ps4 version comes to $90 with tax in Canada and I just can't justify spending that kind of coin right now.

X-Frame

Sorry about that. I got a legendary for Zarya too, but it is the Siberian skin, which I really like (more than her default costume). I found 4 legendaries (Shark Roadhog, B.Va, Lionhardt, Siberian Zarya) so far and purchased one (Symmetra Goddess). Lv. 55 so far ._.

They aren't useless at all, especially when you throw them on Zenyattas and Tracers. Not saying it is the best ability ever, but it is not useless either.

I have both Siberian and Arctic for Zarya yet I am not feeling the eye visor -- it seems so low quality on PS4 at least that in POTG's it's very noticeable.

I like her black/gold Purple skin too.

Pooya

If you have 76, one support is enough, preferably Mercy, but two tanks are a must. Zarya is so good on defense and holding ground, Roadhog is better on attack. Reinhardt works everywhere. winston is good on control maps, d.va for harassing snipers on payload maps.

I think people are picking up on it though, I've played a lot of game with 2 tanks or even 3. Tanks are easier to play and be effective with too. you can't aim? not a problem, you can't aim with widow, pharah or 76? big problem. Not dying as winston or zarya is really easy even without a dedicated support. My game with Zarya always go with 1 or 2 deaths, she's almost invincible in a decent team with a player that knows how she works and very annoying to the other team, it just destroys bad teams very easily.

Does anyone dislike punk but like ultraviolet Tracer? I wouldn't mind ultraviolet tbh

I have Ultraviolet and kinda want Punk Tracer instead.

Honestly, though, her original skin is the best. The Racer ones are alright.

But I roll with Ultraviolet so people know I'm a serious guy and not a scrub. 2 ez m8

Really short fused today. First 2 matches and both had a full team of roamers.

These assholes bought the game and then act like they've never even touched an FPS before. I know its not exclusive to OW (Battlefield has the same issue whenever I played Rush) but for the love of god FOCUS ON THE FUCKING OBJECTIVE.

Edit: Also fuck McCree. Melted my Reinhardt within 2 seconds with his stun combo.
These are the worst games.

So many games we're on defense and I'm a lonely Torbjörn with my turret by the point and my entire team is WAAAYYY a head near their spawn fighting them. Then they get wiped out and I'm alone when 4 member of the enemy team come charging in.

I was thinking about Reinhardt, and I'm curious: how would people like it if his shield knocked back enemies who were right beside it when it deploys? I ask this as someone who primarily plays Reaper and Roadhog. Every time I attack a Rein, He pops his shield. I then proceed to clip my gun through it and blow him away with no penalty. It almost seems unfair for the Reinhardt player as the shield is supposed to block damage. I also think adding some knockback, say 10 feet or so, would alleviate the issue with McCree and all. Just a thought.

PaulloDEC

I dunno anyone who likes that costume.

With Punk Tracer one of the worst skins in the game. Congrats.

Sorry about that. I got a legendary for Zarya too, but it is the Siberian skin, which I really like (more than her default costume).

God, it's so ugly. I'd have taken any other Legendary over this; hell, I'd have taken plenty of less valuable skins too.

Life goes on, but man. Disappointing.

Quick ethics question guys.

I originally ordered overwatch from amazon a few weeks ago, a couple of days later i got an email saying it had arrive but when i get home there nothing there. A few days pass and still nothing turns up so i get a refund from amazon and pick up the game on the way home.

Anyway last night the game actually turn up in my leterbox, i geuss it was posted to the wrong address or something.

So, long story short i have an extra copy of overwatch what do i do with it?

A. Tell Amazon its here and post it back to them
B. Sell it
C. Give it to a friend
D. keep it in case i wear out my copy

maouvin

God, it's so ugly. I'd have taken any other Legendary over this; hell, I'd have taken plenty of less valuable skins too.

Life goes on, but man. Disappointing.

On the bright side, you'll get 200 coins whenever the RNG graces you with it again!
sorry

Quick ethics question guys.

I originally ordered overwatch from amazon a few weeks ago, a couple of days later i got an email saying it had arrive but when i get home there nothing there. A few days pass and still nothing turns up so i get a refund from amazon and pick up the game on the way home.

Anyway last night the game actually turn up in my leterbox, i geuss it was posted to the wrong address or something.

So, long story short i have an extra copy of overwatch what do i do with it?

A. Tell Amazon its here and post it back to them
B. Sell it
C. Give it to a friend
D. keep it in case i wear out my copy

Tell Amazon and see what they say. Worst case scenario they ask you to pay or send it back. Best case they just let you keep it.

Braag

I've seen idiots posting "ez" after very intense matches which they just barely won during overtime. I guess most of them are kids who think very highly of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom