• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

The casters on tournament last week were saying Zarya is apparently better on lan than online, is that because of tickrate too? I can see shield timing to be a big deal, aiming and following with her beam should be easier too.

Braag

When playing Genji the Torbjörn turrets give me a lot more trouble than they probably should. Bastions feel like paper, but I always seem to be underestimating the turrets and get torn to shreds as a result. Even when hanging back, their quick lock on often nails me. Feels like I'm doing something wrong.

The trick is to know first where the turret is, then approach it from an angle it can't shoot you, as soon as you approach it throw 3 shurikens at it before it locks on you, then use your deflect and try to return all the bullets back at it, then either finish it with quick strike of the alt fire shurikens. This works 99% of the time for me.

The casters on tournament last week were saying Zarya is apparently better on lan than online, is that because of tickrate too? I can see shield timing to be a big deal, aiming and following with her beam should be easier too.

I guess it's easier to react to quick offensive abilities with barrier. Using a barrier to block a flashbang, for instance, might make her less of a deadweight against mccree.

Oh I know, I was just poking fun at how some tips are :)

Think somebody mentioned the tooltip about Pharah's ult. that is like, "Don't wait too long to use it, just fire it off!" or something like that, when Pharah's ult. more than just about anybody else's has to be carefully planned to keep you from being turned into swiss cheese by the enemy.

burn.money

Neo Member

hell yeah she would stomp so much easier... considering how her gun's charge mechanics and how short the shield timing is like... man. it would be even easier to get and keep charge.

Think somebody mentioned the tooltip about Pharah's ult. that is like, "Don't wait too long to use it, just fire it off!" or something like that, when Pharah's ult. more than just about anybody else's has to be carefully planned to keep you from being turned into swiss cheese by the enemy.

I find a lot of the in-game tips kind of passive aggressive.

LAN vs WAN would be latency difference, not tick rate. I'd think competitive would use high tickrate private matches, either way.

Man-at-desk-with-head-in-008.jpg

I'll try and explain why 20 tick is a problem with snipers. If there is a hanzo/widow standing at the end of a corridor I will try to "bait" their shots by "peeking" round a corner and then running back. On my screen, I'm getting my character model about half way out from the wall and then strafing back the way I came. I send this data to the server 60 times a second. The server, however, doesn't send my data to my opponent that quickly, meaning that there is a longer time between the initial "move left" and the subsequent "move right" command. His client will attempt to predict what I was doing, but has no idea that I was instantly going to dart back into cover and so on his client my character keeps travelling away from cover, exposing my entire character model and making me a MUCH easier target. Due to the fact that this game "favours the shooter", he will obviously land a hit on me, and then I will die, even though on my client, I never really "left" the cover for more than a fraction of a second.

It's very easy to see this if you play Tracer. You compare what you just did to what happened on their killcam. It's almost like an in-direct buff to the snipers. Obviously it causes issues with everyone, but IMO it effects Widowmaker the most, and it is incredibly annoying.

BeesEight

According to this very thread, most people don't care any of that "high level stuff" and their anecdotal win rates with specific characters trumps everything.

We have people posting that Hanzo is op yet his ass is hardly used in pro play. People who think Mei is amazing yet never sees the map in play. People who think McCree isn't as good as the analytics show and yet most Pro teams run 2 McCrees with devastating results.

This is why I can't wait until Ranked comes out the low level player mindset annoys me. Well my *Insert low tier character here* win rate is high so everyone else must be wrong or not using them properly. I can't be wrong etc.

Just because it's not seen in competitive meta right now does not mean it's weak.

I mean, I don't think Mei is a problem but I don't think she is low tier either. For comp play, she simply has no place in the current environment. Who would you replace? Double McCree is really strong, you want a Mercy and Lucio and you certainly can't lose your tank.

I think this speaks more to just how general McCree is. The competitive scene is still really young and who knows how it's going to develop.

But people are obviously going to argue from their experience. I mean, I've been told on this very forum that Widow isn't a problem because posters haven't actually seen someone who can aim with her. I face good Widows frequently, however, and I can tell you in my experience of the game she is very oppressive and should be addressed.

Mupod

the laser does have issues occasionally. I usually fry Genji quickly but sometimes he's magically not taking damage. For a while I actually thought his deflect was nullifying my laser damage.

As for the shield, you run into some weird nonsense if you play her often enough. For example I very frequently get dragged by Roadhog while I'm shielded - this is supposed to be impossible, although it's sometimes good as I usually like taking a full roadhog shotgun blast to my shield. A 100 energy Zarya does very unpleasant things to Roadhog. But it's resulted in bullshit deaths sometimes, like falling into pits or getting dragged into a bad position.

LiK

Not gonna lie, felt good playing as Genji and deflected Bastion in turret form and killed him. Best counter.

Camjo-Z

tfw you get play of the game as zenyatta by doing a team wipe in the first 30 seconds of the match

Seriously, I love this guy. Is there a situation where his charge attack is useful though? I find that spamming L1 is a better use of my left finger since I can use the discord orb as a makeshift radar to see where a marked enemy is going, and by the time someone is marked I'm more likely to kill them with a couple of quick shots than I am waiting for some orbs to charge up.

This is how i play her as well. Search and destroy turret assassin. Your team mates will love you for it ;)

Also the jet into a captured point and eject to self destruct as it moves there is an amazing move. And typically you can immediately recall your mech.

Also can I just say how awesome it is to see spontaneous all one hero teams can be. Last night was on a team that held off 6 Junkrats and all of their grenades and riptires on Hanamura. Another night I was on a team of 5 Torbs and a Bastion defending volskaya.

Not gonna lie, felt good playing as Genji and deflected Bastion in turret form and killed him. Best counter.

I deflected a McCree flashbang and stunned both McCrees on the enemy team last night. Unfortunately, I am not good enough with Genji to take advantage of such a great opportunity.

I'll try and explain why 20 tick is a problem with snipers. If there is a hanzo/widow standing at the end of a corridor I will try to "bait" their shots by "peeking" round a corner and then running back. On my screen, I'm getting my character model about half way out from the wall and then strafing back the way I came. I send this data to the server 60 times a second. The server, however, doesn't send my data to my opponent that quickly, meaning that there is a longer time between the initial "move left" and the subsequent "move right" command. His client will attempt to predict what I was doing, but has no idea that I was instantly going to dart back into cover and so on his client my character keeps travelling away from cover, exposing my entire character model and making me a MUCH easier target. Due to the fact that this game "favours the shooter", he will obviously land a hit on me, and then I will die, even though on my client, I never really "left" the cover for more than a fraction of a second.

It's very easy to see this if you play Tracer. You compare what you just did to what happened on their killcam. It's almost like an in-direct buff to the snipers. Obviously it causes issues with everyone, but IMO it effects Widowmaker the most, and it is incredibly annoying.
Yes, I understand what tickrate is.

The "longer time" here is 35ms at most, which is far, far faster than what the human eye can detect under laboratory conditions. More often than not, the latency introduced by 20Hz servers will actually be less than that. Meanwhile, the RTT you and the other player experience because of miles and miles of copper wire and bad switches and just... the Internet... account for maybe 100ms. At least. Under ideal circumstances. If one of you experiences a ping spike or packet loss, it gets much, much worse. Like, into the realm at which you can actually physically see sync problems. If a player with a 100ms+ ping — which is many, many players — shoots at you, the perceptible delay you are experiencing is maybe 20% the fault of tickrate. Probably less than that.

Complaining about tickrate instead of general Internet latency is like singling out one bull in a stampeding herd. Yes, it would be better if that bull wasn't charging you. But all the other bulls are still there. Blizzard cannot do anything about those bulls. If they splashed out for 128Hz servers, you would still get gored sometimes.

Raiden

Banned
Got this game yesterday without really knowing what to expect. I only played 3 games and got two "play of the game" thingies and then you can vote for the top players? Holy hell that is genious... people will come back for that alone. Its like having 1 final killcam but nicer..

Fliesen

Yea sure, ignore the obvious issue that is proven because Pro players and tiers.
And while we are at it, tell us how 20 tick rate doesn't make a considerable difference and it's the player's fault or their internet connection...again.

No offense but you don't really seem to know what you are talking about.

the low tick rate does have its upsides, though.
I don't think that i would enjoy playing with GAFfers from the US as much if the game didn't do so much client-side interpolation and people close to the hosting server had an even bigger advantage.

According to this very thread, most people don't care any of that "high level stuff" and their anecdotal win rates with specific characters trumps everything.

We have people posting that Hanzo is op yet his ass is hardly used in pro play. People who think Mei is amazing yet never sees the map in play. People who think McCree isn't as good as the analytics show and yet most Pro teams run 2 McCrees with devastating results.

This is why I can't wait until Ranked comes out the low level player mindset annoys me. Well my *Insert low tier character here* win rate is high so everyone else must be wrong or not using them properly. I can't be wrong etc.

Yesterday, I switched off of Reinhardt to Hanzo to take out 2 Bastions in turret mode, back-to-back, so we can make the last push on King's Row.

So you're wrong and I'm right. ez ez ez ez
No offense
ez ez ez ez

So Overwatch, even on PC, is just matchmaking right?

I've been wondering if PC shooters even do private servers anymore.

Unfortunately it's all matchmaking, which I appreciate since it finds people of my skill level. The other side is I really miss playing on certain maps or choosing what game mode to play.
I played TF2 yesterday after like years of not touching it. It was cool seeing community run servers and picking a map or custom rules. Personally I would prefer dedicated servers but it seems the landscape has changed. Used to play in this LGBT server and it was fun and unique experience.

MKAllDay

Just because it's not seen in competitive meta right now does not mean it's weak.

I mean, I don't think Mei is a problem but I don't think she is low tier either. For comp play, she simply has no place in the current environment. Who would you replace? Double McCree is really strong, you want a Mercy and Lucio and you certainly can't lose your tank.

I think this speaks more to just how general McCree is. The competitive scene is still really young and who knows how it's going to develop.

But people are obviously going to argue from their experience. I mean, I've been told on this very forum that Widow isn't a problem because posters haven't actually seen someone who can aim with her. I face good Widows frequently, however, and I can tell you in my experience of the game she is very oppressive and should be addressed.

Also McCree is probably Mei's hardest counter so McCree being so prevalent is keeping her out of the meta. I remember Seagull was saying his team was practicing with Mei but could never run it when the other team pretty much always has at least one McCree.

the low tick rate does have its upsides, though.
I don't think that i would enjoy playing with GAFfers from the US as much if the game didn't do so much client-side interpolation and people close to the hosting server had an even bigger advantage.

I think in custom games you're still hosted on a Blizzard server. I don't think it's on someone's machine. There probably would be an advantage to one side or the other though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The trick is to know first where the turret is, then approach it from an angle it can't shoot you, as soon as you approach it throw 3 shurikens at it before it locks on you, then use your deflect and try to return all the bullets back at it, then either finish it with quick strike of the alt fire shurikens. This works 99% of the time for me.

Hmm. Thanks.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What are the most boring POTGs usually?

I think it's a tie between Torbjorn & Bastion.
Bastion for just being in a corner, not moving, emptying a 200 clip on a group of people.
And Torbjorn for hitting his turret with a hammer & occasionnaly shooting an enemy.

Interfectum

Bastion for just being in a corner, not moving, emptying a 200 clip on a group of people.
And Torbjorn for hitting his turret with a hammer & occasionnaly shooting an enemy.

Torb, Bastion and Reaper I'd say. And maybe any where they just hit the ult button and casually kill 3-4 people.

My favorites are sneak attacks and when people get knocked off the level.

Mupod

IIRC as long as you don't leave the game via the leave game option you still get the consecutive match bonus.

yeah because of this I often don't leave even if I just got stomped. I just wanted to grind out a few matches to hit 50 last night, ended up in a series of super one sided matches against an organized team. I finally had enough of their shit, went Zarya on a KOTH map and slapped their shit so hard their Winston tried going Zarya against me. I do not fear lesser Zaryas.

Years of not playing FPS's on PC has made my aiming skills really weak. I love this game but dammit I feel so useless if I play anyone with hitscan weapons or fast leading projectiles.

As a Mercy Main, seeing me press Q to res like 3-4 people then flying away.

The most boring ones sans that for me are McCrees using the "Look ma I can right click combo!" or the high noon ult. There's also the 76 auto aim ults. "Oh look I can move my mouse!"

maouvin

This week I saw a Torb potg where he actively went around shooting and downing people around the point (with his turret doing work too, of course). Even congratulated the guy because damn.

deicide2673

Neo Member
How long does the leaver penalty last??????
I had to leave 3 games for phone calls, picking wife up and now I have a leavers penalty, which is fine........
I have now played 8 games with -75%!!!! When will it stop?

My ping is around 30 most of the time, so this effectively doubles it.
No, it doesn't. Your ping is 30ms ("most of the time"). You are playing against other humans, who are also sending and receiving information to the server across a leaky mess of congested Internet. Even if they are all experiencing 30ms of latency with zero packet loss (which is highly unlikely, because of things like geography and physics and the discrete, fucked-up nature of the Internet, and someone's mom streaming Netflix), tickrate is now less than one-third or one-quarter of the disparity between you on average.

Again, one bull among many.

Edit: Since people love this guy's video without seemingly understanding what he's saying...

3h12DUO.png

This is blazing-fast European Internet connecting to different game servers under near-ideal conditions. Note that the difference between Overwatch's "20 tick garbage" servers and CS:GO's "64 tick omg so pro" servers is, on average, 24ms (some of which is accounted for by his having a shorter ping to the server anyway). 24ms is not why Widowmaker shot you in cover, as much as you may want that to be so.

SDCowboy

So I find I'm very feast of famine with Hanzo. I'll have rounds where I'm single digit kills, then I'll have others where I'm like 22-1. lol

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
just had a soldier 76 on my team who always tried to shoot enemies trough the wall o.o" like he knew they are behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom