• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaterTots

Banned
I just read Overwatch has sold over 7 million copies already. That's incredible. I remember people claiming it would only sell 1-2 million copies due to being MP only.

Quick ethics question guys.

I originally ordered overwatch from amazon a few weeks ago, a couple of days later i got an email saying it had arrive but when i get home there nothing there. A few days pass and still nothing turns up so i get a refund from amazon and pick up the game on the way home.

Anyway last night the game actually turn up in my leterbox, i geuss it was posted to the wrong address or something.

So, long story short i have an extra copy of overwatch what do i do with it?

A. Tell Amazon its here and post it back to them
B. Sell it
C. Give it to a friend
D. keep it in case i wear out my copy

Give it to a friend! Spread the love. When I ordered the CE there was a pricematch issue where I got it for $103 or something because of Prime, but then they discounted it to $95 right before launch day for everyone, so I sent in a support ticket asking for a refund for the difference between the two, and they said they couldn't but as a gesture of good will they would refund me the the difference, but they gave me credit in the difference between full retail and the new MSRP and not what I paid, so I ended up with like $40 in Amazon credit. And then two days later their price match guarantee kicked in and they refunded me $40 straight onto my credit card, so I bought my friend a copy with the Amazon credit. No regrets!

Stalk

Quick ethics question guys.

I originally ordered overwatch from amazon a few weeks ago, a couple of days later i got an email saying it had arrive but when i get home there nothing there. A few days pass and still nothing turns up so i get a refund from amazon and pick up the game on the way home.

Anyway last night the game actually turn up in my leterbox, i geuss it was posted to the wrong address or something.

So, long story short i have an extra copy of overwatch what do i do with it?

A. Tell Amazon its here and post it back to them
B. Sell it
C. Give it to a friend
D. keep it in case i wear out my copy

Just give it to a friend.

Dr. Buni

I have both Siberian and Arctic for Zarya yet I am not feeling the eye visor -- it seems so low quality on PS4 at least that in POTG's it's very noticeable.

I like her black/gold Purple skin too.
I like the eye visor, but it does feel a bit out of place. Zarya really could use more skins, same for Symmetra and Soldier.

StayDead

Blows my mind how few folks on PC use a mic. About 18 hours of play, and I've encountered maybe five randoms that talk?

In R6 Siege, 90% of the population talks.

Anyway, recently I've said "fuck it," and just talk in the mic the whole game.

"My Lucio ult is ready if three or more can join me to cap point."

"Tracer sneaking behind."

"Hanzo, focus on that widow in top right."

"Three of their team just died, we need to push now."

"Someone flip to genii and take out that turret, please."

It... SURPRISINGLY... often works. I'm not claiming to be great or the best man for the job. But I'm willing to try, and folks seem to rally around that.

I only don't talk in game as I'm usually playing in a group of 4-5 or 6 on Mumble or Discord and we communicate there. Hard to talk in two places at once.

I wonder how long it will take for pubs to understand good compositions?

I mean, it seems like the vast majority of people think 1 tank and 1 support suffices, so they then pick whatever random damage character.

My take:
2 tanks, 2 support, 2 damage is probably the best composition to start with. But I also think 2 tanks, 1 support, 3 damage, or 2 support, 1 tank, 3 damage is okay. I think things get a bit interesting when you go off the 2:2:2 composition, but 1:1:4 is really not good unless you're match ups line up really well or you really out play them. In short, 1:1:4 tends to be disadvantaged before the fighting starts, and is a few counter picks away from disaster.

According to this very thread, most people don't care any of that "high level stuff" and their anecdotal win rates with specific characters trumps everything.

We have people posting that Hanzo is op yet his ass is hardly used in pro play. People who think Mei is amazing yet never sees the map in play. People who think McCree isn't as good as the analytics show and yet most Pro teams run 2 McCrees with devastating results.

This is why I can't wait until Ranked comes out the low level player mindset annoys me. Well my *Insert low tier character here* win rate is high so everyone else must be wrong or not using them properly. I can't be wrong etc.

RedSwirl

So Overwatch, even on PC, is just matchmaking right?

I've been wondering if PC shooters even do private servers anymore.

kaskade

I'm in the middle of moving and I'm not going to have internet until Wednesday and I'm going through some serious withdrawal. I wanted to start trying out some other heroes. I'd usually just stick to one or two in each class. Zarya looks like she could be a bunch of fun. That ult in combo with another more offensive one is devastating.

Hyun Sai

Back to Tracer's ult... I think it would be in line to make her STUCK bombs a 100% kill on the stuck target, regardless of health. It's not so easy to do that it would become exploitable. Considering Junkrat's tire is a guaranteed kill that he doesn't even need to be present for, a Tracer with 150 health that can get in that super short range of her ult to tack it onto your back should be rewarded with something more than a quick death or a well-timed Rewind to GTFO, all for an assist.

We can't compare Tracer's Ult to Junkrat, because you can easily destroy the tire before explosion, and it has a huge loud voice announcement. That's why it's a guaranteed kill.

patchday

I just read Overwatch has sold over 7 million copies already. That's incredible. I remember people claiming it would only sell 1-2 million copies due to being MP only.

yeah single player fans need to understand there's a huge majority of us that would rather shoot at actual people rather then bots that are programmed to die

Don't get me wrong- I like single player and feels it can add some value. But I don't want to sacrifice solid multiplayer for it.

According to this very thread, most people don't care any of that "high level stuff" and their anecdotal win rates with specific characters trumps everything.

We have people posting that Hanzo is op yet his ass is hardly used in pro play. People who think Mei is amazing yet never sees the map in play. People who think McCree isn't as good as the analytics show and yet most Pro teams run 2 McCrees with devastating results.

This is why I can't wait until Ranked comes out the low level player mindset annoys me. Well my *Insert low tier character here* win rate is high so everyone else must be wrong or not using them properly. I can't be wrong etc.

I agree. Torbjorn is actually equally adept at defense AND offense.

Klyka

Banned
I agree. Torbjorn is actually equally adept at defense AND offense.

I used Torbjörn on the Illios map yesterday where the point is in the lower part of those ruins in the middle.

I put his turret behind a tree on the side towards the ocean. The turret took care of their flankers and they could barely see it cause of the tree.
Meanwhile I ran to the other side and kept throwing out armor on the point and peppering people with my gun.

I got a Quadrupel kill with my Ult and the turret :D

It worked really well!

I also like to use his turret as an anti flanker/air tool on Nepal maps.

People love to use Pharah and the usual flankers there.

patchday

Blows my mind how few folks on PC use a mic. About 18 hours of play, and I've encountered maybe five randoms that talk?

It... SURPRISINGLY... often works. I'm not claiming to be great or the best man for the job. But I'm willing to try, and folks seem to rally around that.

in R6 you have to talk to win since proper positioning is king. Even an awful player will play well with a bunch of dead teammates talking and coaching. I know from personal experience (I'm usually the last one alive and I'm yapping on my mic bigtime)

Maximo

I talk often simply because im mercy and have to remind people when a Genji or Tracer are up my ass.

Zaventem

Whut, I've got a 80% winrate when I play Symmetry. After that, 67% with Lucio, 45% with Zarya (whom i just started playing), 33% with Pharah. The others I havent really touched enough yet.

I'm finding it easier to defend than to attack though. Anyone else?

I think in pubs the reason it's easier to defend is because everyone is in the same spot and focusing on a goal. For attacking final checkpoints, ultimates are key and more often than not everyone is doing there own thing(also why maps with straight forward pushes such as Numbani, Route 66, Gibraltar and Dorado results in more attacking victories for me). Probably the reason Anubis and Volskaya Industries are hated so much.

Hyun Sai

Well, duh.

But when I click on Quick Play, I don't get matched up with a team of pros on a speech server.

My point still stands - those F-tier heroes hold their own fine and these measurements have little bearing on pub games.

I agree with you.

I have to add that many of those Top Tiers heroes are not as viable on console with Pad, so I guess we would have to make some adjustments.

These tiers list are for competitive PC games, they don't hold much weight in Pubs and even less on console.

Imagine the consequence on the Quickplay console meta if Blizzard is buffing Bastion and Tjorborn to the roof because they are garbage in the competitive PC meta ? Yeah.

This one guy today... complaining so hard about widowmaker. I suggested we get a reinhardt as a second tank at the start of the match though. He doesn't care. Cries widow is OP. I don't disagree with that, but even if widow was a bit weaker, you'd still want to counter her otherwise they nerfed way too hard. Anyway, he doesn't want to play reinhardt. Fair enough. We could use a winston then. Says I should have changed, but I was already playing a pivotal role and doing really well as roadhog. I explained we needed a second tank regardless of widowmaker.

Anyway, next match... I play roadhog, expecting someone to pick winston or reinhardt. He picks last as soldier, no support. Other people stepped up and picked winston and lucio, and we rolled them despite the sniper.

I can respect people's opinions on widowmaker being OP or not. He kept crying "well, every pro thinks he is OP in this game and every other FPS blah blah blah". I said, I don't care. Smart picks and/or smart plays will beat widowmaker. After we won the second round, he proclaimed we only won because we picked OP characters (reinhardt at the end, a support etc). I pointed out I played roadhog, got 5 medals, all gold except healing, and he left immediately.

Thank god for avoid this player.

So Overwatch, even on PC, is just matchmaking right?

I've been wondering if PC shooters even do private servers anymore.

Custom games. There are a lot of options for modifying custom games too.

nOoblet16

I've seen it work. Most maps have these little alcoves or side areas built into the chokepoints, so if you can push into one of those and set up turrets / teleporter, you can really bring the offensive pain thanks to her.

I've also seen people stack her turrets onto a payload. It works for a few surprise kills but eventually a Junkrat or Pharah just gives it the old spam treatment.

Back to Tracer's ult... I think it would be in line to make her STUCK bombs a 100% kill on the stuck target, regardless of health. It's not so easy to do that it would become exploitable. Considering Junkrat's tire is a guaranteed kill that he doesn't even need to be present for, a Tracer with 150 health that can get in that super short range of her ult to tack it onto your back should be rewarded with something more than a quick death or a well-timed Rewind to GTFO, all for an assist.

Getting in that close and getting out is not a big deal with Tracer to be "rewarded" ...considering that's pretty much all you'll be doing as Tracer and her toolset allows you to do that easily.

Interfectum

Just saw the win percentage stat... kind of crazy. Symmetra is my most played hero and my win percent is at 75%. Every other hero I play is 50% or below. So I must be doing something right with her.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
When playing Genji the Torbjörn turrets give me a lot more trouble than they probably should. Bastions feel like paper, but I always seem to be underestimating the turrets and get torn to shreds as a result. Even when hanging back, their quick lock on often nails me. Feels like I'm doing something wrong.

pantsmith

Anyone else getting lumped into really "sweaty" matches suddenly? Ugh. Makes me wish I had messed around with some other characters before getting to this point.

We can't compare Tracer's Ult to Junkrat, because you can easily destroy the tire before explosion, and it has a huge loud voice announcement. That's why it's a guaranteed kill.

That's fair, but my point still stands. Stuck bombs are entirely skill dependent and should be rewarded as such.

And man, I wish people weren't so hip to D.Va's ult at this point. I cannot get that 4-kill achievement with her for the life of me. I try to incorporate the achievements into my normal playing, so I'm not going in with a specific goal, but I try to keep them in the back of my mind.

Getting in that close and getting out is not a big deal with Tracer to be "rewarded" ...considering that's pretty much all you'll be doing as Tracer and her toolset allows you to do that easily.

The distance to stick someone is about the range of a melee attack. For sure, her skillset compliments it, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually been stuck.

When playing Genji the Torbjörn turrets give me a lot more trouble than they probably should. Bastions feel like paper, but I always seem to be underestimating the turrets and get torn to shreds as a result. Even when hanging back, their quick lock on often nails me. Feels like I'm doing something wrong.

D.Va is a good turret killer, the trade up close between her mech and the turret isn't the best but she will destroy it and have the hp to fly away to find health, it's what I do.

Klyka

Banned
I have an overall winrate of 58%.

That's pretty ok for me really. I do play with friends a lot though.

Anyone else getting lumped into really "sweaty" matches suddenly? Ugh. Makes me wish I had messed around with some other characters before getting to this point.

Oh god tell me about it, my friends and I can't get any "casual" matches going anymore because all we face are super serious competitive composition teams that we need to play our A-Game against.

kendrid

Banned
If noboby leaves at the end of a match, do the teams always get shuffled regardless of the outcome of the match?

If it was a close game nobody left, are all the teams the same or not necessarily? Hopefully if it is a blow out (and all solo randoms) the teams would get shuffled.

Anyone know the answer to this? I haven't paid attention to the teams enough to notice.

nOoblet16

Custom games. There are a lot of options for modifying custom games too.

He's talking about custome servers though, the benefits that brings cannot be matched by custom games. Some of the thing sit brings:

1) You develop a community around the same players, say you can tell who will be online 8PM GMT.
2) It can allow for custom maps, skins, voice overs etc etc keeping things fresh
3) The admins can immediately ban someone from that server so any cheaters, people who insult and throw racial slurs etc get taken care of immediately.

Dr. Buni

On the other hand, "high level player mindset" is just as annoying. What happens in pro matches isn't necessarily valid for regular online play. Hanzo not being used in pro play, which is 1% of the general play of Overwatch, doesn't mean he isn't a strong hero against most of this game's playerbase. If HotS ranked means anything I don't think what pro players do will mean all that much for the general playerbase either.

He's talking about custome servers though, the benefits that brings cannot be matched by custom games. Some of the thing sit brings:

1) You develop a community around the same players, say you can tell who will be online 8PM GMT.
2) It can allow for custom maps, skins, voice overs etc etc keeping things fresh
3) The admins can immediately ban someone from that server so any cheaters, people who insult and throw racial slurs etc get taken care of immediately.

I know he is talking about private dedis, but I was pointing out that there is at least more than just matchmaking.

Had a ton of fun playing Zarya yesterday. The concept that you have to jump right into the action so your shields can absorb some damage which, in turn, powers your gun makes for some pretty awesome combat.

Interfectum

Two UI changes I think Blizzard needs to make:

- The medal system is confusing. When I first started using it I thought the medals were related to personal best. They could probably tweak that a bit.

- I didn't know wtf "Team Kill" ment until I googled it.

nOoblet16

People play differently in pro scene than outside of it. Hanzo absolutely has an issue due to his hitboxes and 20 tick rate servers.

In pro games the entire team moves while knowing what everyone else is doing, if a Hanzo shows up he gets taken care of in seconds as a team. This does not happen in non pro games because people play differently, which allows certain trouble makers to survive and be effective while in the pro scene they aren't effective meaning they don't get picked...this in turn leads to the character getting lower tier than others.

Tier ratings are reflective of the meta in the pro scene which is not reflective of the whole game, heroes and how matches turn out in pubs/pugs.

Hanzo absolutely has an issue due to ... 20 tick rate servers.
Man-at-desk-with-head-in-008.jpg

I didn't know wtf "Team Kill" ment until I googled it.

Good point. Your post reminded me to Google it myself. From the battle.net forums, for anyone else:

Team Kill is just an 'Ace'. Its when all 6 members of the enemy team is dead and not respawned yet. It is confusing, and I also thought it was when everyone took part in killing the same enemy as the first poster said. I mean 'Team Kill' we made a kill, as a team... made sense to me!

But eventually we figured it out based on how infrequent it was and checking the scoreboard when it happens. You have to wipe out the entire enemy team within that 8 second window that they're watching the death cam or whatever.

Two UI changes I think Blizzard needs to make:

- The medal system is confusing. When I first started using it I thought the medals were related to personal best. They could probably tweak that a bit.

- I didn't know wtf "Team Kill" ment until I googled it.

Yeah, at first I thought it meant I killed one of my team members, which since I was playing Pharah gave me this nightmare moment of thinking my rockets were doing splash damage to my allies. But it was in blue and seemed positive, so then I thought it meant that the team had all worked together to kill one enemy. Finally had to look it up to know that it meant we had wiped the opposing team. Something like "Team Wipe" or even something vague like "Domination!" would probably work better.

nOoblet16

Yea sure, ignore the obvious issue that is proven because Pro players and tiers.
And while we are at it, tell us how 20 tick rate doesn't make a considerable difference and it's the player's fault or their internet connection...again.

No offense but you don't really seem to know what you are talking about.

D.Va is a good turret killer, the trade up close between her mech and the turret isn't the best but she will destroy it and have the hp to fly away to find health, it's what I do.

This is how i play her as well. Search and destroy turret assassin. Your team mates will love you for it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom