• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Banned
How long does the leaver penalty last??????
I had to leave 3 games for phone calls, picking wife up and now I have a leavers penalty, which is fine........
I have now played 8 games with -75%!!!! When will it stop?

giphy.gif

No, it doesn't. Your ping is 30ms ("most of the time"). You are playing against other humans, who are also sending and receiving information to the server across a leaky mess of congested Internet. Even if they are all experiencing 30ms of latency with zero packet loss (which is highly unlikely, because of things like geography and physics and the discrete, fucked-up nature of the Internet, and someone's mom streaming Netflix), tickrate is now less than one-third or one-quarter of the disparity between you on average.

Again, one bull among many.

Yes, Im aware of how this works. But even if we play by your numbers reducing disparity by 25-33% is a massive amount. It will help the player experience and it should be done. It's not like Blizzard is short on cash.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
How long does the leaver penalty last??????
I had to leave 3 games for phone calls, picking wife up and now I have a leavers penalty, which is fine........
I have now played 8 games with -75%!!!! When will it stop?

Probably like 10 or so games. I had it once and it took quiet awhile.

R0ckman

As a Mercy Main, seeing me press Q to res like 3-4 people then flying away.

The most boring ones sans that for me are McCrees using the "Look ma I can right click combo!" or the high noon ult. There's also the 76 auto aim ults. "Oh look I can move my mouse!"

I actually think well used ults is better than potg where people just rapidly kill things. I get PotG as Tracer A LOT and its pretty boring unless it shows me playing mind games with enemies.

LiK

I have yet to initiate a leaver's penalty even tho I just leave some games when I'm joining a group or I don't wanna play with idiots. I guess you need to leave a lot to initiate it?

R0ckman

I have yet to initiate a leaver's penalty even tho I just leave some games when I'm joining a group or I don't wanna play with idiots. I guess you need to leave a lot to initiate it?

I dont think you get it if you notice idiots via the character select in the begging and bail.

Alavard

I wandered into the Hanzo v Genji brawl last night and decided to try Genji for the first time in anything resembling a regular match (I had run around with him in training mode, but not a vs AI match or anything like that).

I managed to get the gold medals for kills, objective kills, and objective time, and then got POTG. I really hope it was everyone else on the team's first times as Genji too, lol.

Still, don't think I'll be touching Genji much in regular matches.

It's about the balance between the number of leaves versus the number of completed matches. One or two leaves won't upset it if you consistently play to the end.

Entropia

No One Remembers
What are the most boring POTGs usually?

I think it's a tie between Torbjorn & Bastion.
Bastion for just being in a corner, not moving, emptying a 200 clip on a group of people.
And Torbjorn for hitting his turret with a hammer & occasionnaly shooting an enemy.

Pretty much anything like that where it's no-thinking or effort involved.

Bastion, Mcree, Torbjorn, Soldier 76

Pretty sure it's for leaving mid match, leaving via invite from a group? Not sure I personally have never gotten it.

Pons

Neo Member
This week I saw a Torb potg where he actively went around shooting and downing people around the point (with his turret doing work too, of course). Even congratulated the guy because damn.

I get a lot of POTG as Torb, for the exact reason that I always make a point of not staying near my turret so I can catch people in crossfires with my turret as they try and kill it. It really does wonders in Molten Core mode to be away from the turret doing work and just let it do its own thing.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
lol as D.VA I killed the roadhog enemy all the time. he then switched to D.VA I killed him again...he left the game
I mean it was satisfying.

pigeon

Banned

Bastion for just being in a corner, not moving, emptying a 200 clip on a group of people.
And Torbjorn for hitting his turret with a hammer & occasionnaly shooting an enemy.

It's definitely 76 ults. Literally no energy goes into those plays. The cursor doesn't even move because why would it? You can feel the lack of attention oozing off the screen.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

Reaper POTGs are the worst by far.

deicide2673

Neo Member
Trust me you don't need to leave a lot to initiate the penalty. I just spent the last 2+ hours on -75% trying to get rid of it. There should be a penalty but it is way too excessive. From now on my wife can wait to be picked up and I will never answer the phone whilst playing no matter how important it is lol.

My ping is around 30 most of the time, so this effectively doubles it.

Regardless, 35 milliseconds is an eternity. Especially in a game that has 1-shot kill hitscan mechanics with wonky hitboxes.

This is my thought. What you see on your screen is the most current thing. If you get "shot behind the wall" it's because you were out in the open long enough to get shot by someone and you were killed in the past. Given a perfect ping and infinite tick rate you'd still be dead, your view of it would just line up more with reality.

If clients are sending info at 60 ticks and every other client is doing a good job guessing what you're doing then it doesn't matter if you increase those values in terms of who shot who first. The only thing it's going to improve is the feeling of being *feeling* of being shot though cover. You're still dead no matter what.

Again, internet lag itself is the larger issue here. If that stream of 20 ticks is arriving 100ms late you're going to feel it. If those 20 ticks were arriving within 30 ms of the serving sending them I'm very hard pressed to believe you can actually tell in a meaningful way.

Think somebody mentioned the tooltip about Pharah's ult. that is like, "Don't wait too long to use it, just fire it off!" or something like that, when Pharah's ult. more than just about anybody else's has to be carefully planned to keep you from being turned into swiss cheese by the enemy.

I think that message is more about not waiting for the "perfect" shot where you kill five enemies with your ult, and just going for it if you only hit two people or whatever. Which is actually pretty good advice for many ults, especially in casual play.

Edit: Since people love this guy's video without seemingly understanding what he's saying...

3h12DUO.png

This is blazing-fast European Internet connecting to different game servers under near-ideal conditions. Note that the difference between Overwatch's "20 tick garbage" servers and CS:GO's "64 tick omg so pro" servers is, on average, 24ms (some of which is accounted for by his having a shorter ping to the server anyway). 24ms is not why Widowmaker shot you in cover, as much as you may want that to be so.

I agree with you, but quick note: if I read your comment correctly, you're comparing the High Bandwidth Overwatch number to CS:GO, which is actually comparing Overwatch's 60hz mode to CS:GO's 64hz tick rate. The comparison you actually want is the second Overwatch entry, between BETA and High Bandwidth; those are the 20hz servers. ~50ms difference in RTT is still smallish, but it's more noticeable for sure.

^I happen to agree with chrom. That 40-50ms difference is something noticeable, especially when things fall that close such that you're behind a wall but shot anyway. Maybe without that 50ms additional latency, you get behind cover more. The times you don't, you'll get shot before going around the wall more too and it won't feel like you died to latency.

just had a soldier 76 on my team who always tried to shoot enemies trough the wall o.o" like he knew they are behind it.

Maybe he is just shooting at walls perhaps training his burst fire?

Interfectum

One thing I was thinking about for future Overwatch updates and potential controversy down the line. Kaplan promised future heroes and maps free. But what if they decide to create single player adventures (similar to Hearthstone)? What are the chances of them charging for that? I'm guessing pretty high.

Pretty much anything like that where it's no-thinking or effort involved.

Bastion, Mcree, Torbjorn, Soldier 76

Torbjörn walking from the spawn point back to his turret while "eliminations" pop up at the bottom of the screen are the most silly, lol. Torbjörn's POTG can be cool sometimes though. McCree can also be cool. Bastion, Soldier 76 and ESPECIALLY Hanzo are the most boring though. I think Hanzo has to be the most common POTG of them all. We get it, you used your ult. Seen it all a million times before.

LiK

One thing I was thinking about for future Overwatch updates and potential controversy down the line. Kaplan promised future heroes and maps free. But what if they decide to create single player adventures (similar to Hearthstone)? What are the chances of them charging for that? I'm guessing pretty high.

If it's single player content, it will most likely be paid. Starcraft 2 missions and Hearthstone expansions all require money. I'm thinking all the MP stuff will stay free for balancing issues.

If experience and level had anything to do with game play I'd agree that the punishment is harsh but it's only delaying free loot box drops, so it needs to be some significant amount of time to be any kind of deterrent. Maybe the number of quits needs to be adjusted but the punishment doesn't seem too bad considering it's not going to impact your play or any meaningful progression.

Apathy

Good point. Your post reminded me to Google it myself. From the battle.net forums, for anyone else:

Which is weird because twice now I've been in a situation where everyone on a team except for a dva was dead and the game proclaimed team kill. The dva was on the point fighting us

The number of times I've seen people
including myself
fall off the map using Reinhardt's charge on Ilios.

:lol

Heh, I did a charge on a Genji on Watchpoint Gibraltar and sent both of us careening off a cliff. Both of us just had to laugh about it in the chat. Suppose it could have been worse: I could have missed him and just fell off myself.

I agree with you, but quick note: if I read your comment correctly, you're comparing the High Bandwidth Overwatch number to CS:GO, which is actually comparing Overwatch's 60hz mode to CS:GO's 64hz tick rate. The comparison you actually want is the second Overwatch entry, between BETA and High Bandwidth; those are the 20hz servers. ~50ms difference in RTT is still smallish, but it's more noticeable for sure.
Good catch. I just want people to blame things on general latency, which sucks, and realize that tickrate is just one factor in the latency they experience.

Again, I would love if Blizzard went to 60Hz or higher. It'd be fantastic! But "20 tick lol" is not why people are getting shot in cover. At the point where you can notice a glaring disparity, the problem is bigger than the server's tickrate, and it's probably several things happening at once — including the favor the shooter rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom