• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. I only use my pistol if I know I'm going to die otherwise.
The only time I use it (besides imminent death) is if I have a super clear shot, everyone is healed up and I know that I can get some free boost to my Ult meter by landing headshots.

But otherwise, why bother? It's just endangering me, and my whole role is to sustain the team. Not contribute direct DPS.

eek5

So this has come to mind a lot in the past few days. If Mercy's damage boost is 30%, and given a hero that does 200 DPS (few do, but let's make the assumption), then the contribution to DPS would be 60. Wouldn't Mercy be better off using her pistol, which offers 100 DPS, assuming equal ability to aim?

I've tried this but it's really hard to keep track of everything that's going on and it exposes you to the enemy team. One of the advantages of damage amp is that you can hide around a corner in safety then immediately switch your beam to heal when the harassing teammate gets hurt. When you have your pistol out you tend to focus too much on putting shots down and it becomes easy to lose track of where your teammates are and if they need healing or not. Theres just way too much going on.

If you use beam toggle for example you can amp your teammate while looking around for the next target and if you see your amped teammate needs health you can toggle it then fly to the next person. If you were instead shooting along side your teammate you'd have to switch weapons then heal. It's awkward.

Optimally the right play is probably to shoot your pistol, switch to heal when needed, and amp people with really high dps in active engagements or people using their ults but it's pretty difficult to juggle all that while maintaining awareness of what's happening around you. I personally find it easier to just focus on sustaining people around me and keeping track of where everyone is.

kagamin

There's basically no fun to be had in this game for me anymore. I play support/tank almost every match since everyone I'm paired with is usually a dps and we get steamrolled every match. I don't even remember the last time I qued for a game and we didn't get obliterated.

Take a look below.

Find friends. Use GAF. Use forums. Stop solo-queueing.

If you play with people on GAF (or your friends) you'll probably have more fun anyways because you can hopefully give each other constructive criticism and communicate more effectively without being ignored.

eek5

If you're capable of achieving max Mercy DPS consistently, you shouldn't really be playing as Mercy to begin with.

This is how I feel when I have gold elims as support or tank in PUGs and lose. :( But to be fair we're kind of talking hypotheticals. Mercy is capable of contributing both healing and DPS it's probably just not the right way to play it for the majority of people lol.

niggas who play Mercy but never damage boost

CkCY9YeVEAACaWh.jpg

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
Does anyone know how the game puts a team together in quick play? Like, say if I play solo, will the game try to pit me against other solo players? Or will it try to match the party sizes, like one solo and a party of 5 versus a similar group?

Looking at my stats it seems very clear to me if I'm forced to be the tank on our team we lose and I very heavily use Support and Defense characters.

Like no joke I think my team has lost every match that I'm forced to be the tank.

There's basically no fun to be had in this game for me anymore. I play support/tank almost every match since everyone I'm paired with is usually a dps and we get steamrolled every match. I don't even remember the last time I qued for a game and we didn't get obliterated.

This doesn't add up. When playing with pubs, you're going to face unorganized teams. The matchmaking works very well, it's made for you to have a 50/50 win/lose ratio. The odds that you would be ending up in a team that loses every time are very low, and the odds that the enemy team would always have someone who wants to be a tank and your doesn't is as low. Either you're exaggerating, or you yourself is the problem.

eek5

CkCY9YeVEAACaWh.jpg

They used to show you how much you damage boosted in the post-game screens but removed it because the numbers are really low. They were usually in the low 3 digits.

Looking at my stats it seems very clear to me if I'm forced to be the tank on our team we lose and I very heavily use Support and Defense characters.

Like no joke I think my team has lost every match that I'm forced to be the tank.

I'm 3W 8L as Reinhardt (52.3% overall) but I'm pretty sure it's just because I'm an awful tank.

Does anyone know how the game puts a team together in quick play? Like, say if I play solo, will the game try to pit me against other solo players? Or will it try to match the party sizes, like one solo and a party of 5 versus a similar group?

they usually just throw me in a team that's usually the same level as me or +-5 levels. can't tell if there's a group when i join. is there something that tells me though?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

it matches similar situations. solos with solos, teams with teams

Sifl

Take a look below.

If you play with people on GAF (or your friends) you'll probably have more fun anyways because you can hopefully give each other constructive criticism and communicate more effectively without being ignored.
Unfortunately I play on ps4, and everyone I'm friends with is primarily a pc gamer and is playing it on their pc's. I don't have a mic either, I understand playing in groups would be less frustrating but I guess I don't have an real desire to do that unless it was with close friends. Still, matchmaking shouldn't be throwing us into these horribly lopsided matches if there's "skill based" matchmaking.
This doesn't add up. When playing with pubs, you're going to face unorganized teams. The matchmaking works very well, it's made for you to have a 50/50 win/lose ratio. The odds that you would be ending up in a team that loses every time are very low, and the odds that the enemy team would always have someone who wants to be a tank and your doesn't is as low. Either you're exaggerating, or you yourself is the problem.
Im really not lol, according to that website (forget it's name) I have like a 62% winrate. Every match I que into is a literal annihilation.
Edit: Well I should say has been an annihilation. Queuing solo wasn't this bad when I first started, recently everything is just horribly lopsided.

ExVicis

Whenever I see this combo I switch to Widow and pop Mercy every time she flies up. The Pharah will then try to kill me afterwards 90% of the time.
Mercy glides are terribly predictably and the glide makes it even worse. I feel bad for a Mercy following around a Pharah if there's a Widowmaker nearby.

shiba5

The only time I use it (besides imminent death) is if I have a super clear shot, everyone is healed up and I know that I can get some free boost to my Ult meter by landing headshots.

But otherwise, why bother? It's just endangering me, and my whole role is to sustain the team. Not contribute direct DPS.

I had a couple DVa's yesterday who completely ignored me for some reason and went for our tank. I shot the hell out of them because "Nice big target". But usually I don't bother.

eek5

they usually just throw me in a team that's usually the same level as me or +-5 levels. can't tell if there's a group when i join. is there something that tells me though?

Supposedly the match making will prioritize matching premades against premades but there is no way for you to tell who is grouped up (only your own group if you're in a premade)

aeolist

Banned

you can't see if anyone else is in a group. also levels don't matter, there's a hidden skill-based mmr used to set up games.

it prefers to pit groups vs groups but also compromises to keep queue times down.

CkCY9YeVEAACaWh.jpg

lol. i sometimes forget im doing dmg boost. i hold RMB and i'm looking at their health Deplete. and i'm like oh. also i'm glad i can hold RMB and then LMB and heal and then release that and it goes back to dmg boost.

Supposedly the match making will prioritize matching premades against premades but there is no way for you to tell who is grouped up (only your own group if you're in a premade)

you can't see if anyone else is in a group. also levels don't matter, there's a hidden skill-based mmr used to set up games.

it prefers to pit groups vs groups but also compromises to keep queue times down.

oh. always wonder why i'm on the winning team :laughs:

I usually play with a friend, but solo queued yesterday and the first 5 games my teams kept getting stomped. Then I started being on the stomping teams. It all evens out over time. I found it helped asking people what to do rather than telling (What side do you guys want to push at the start? vs Everyone follow me to the right!). Other than that even if I was frustrated, I focused on my performance and what I did wrong or right.

It seems people are more willing to use healers now, but no one wants to be Reinhardt. I've been using him a lot these past couple days since he's so crucial and I find it very fun. It makes me so happy when I'm with a team that uses my shield to fight behind. A Lucio that saves his speed boost to move us past the choke points with my shield up is very much appreciated.

To add to the Mercy discussion. If my team has the advantage in personnel and there isn't an obvious damage boost like a Bastion or Pharah, I aggressively fight. It really puts flanking heroes in check who try to chase me and run into a stream of pistol shots. It also gives me a chance to taunt after a solo kill!

ExVicis

I'm 3W 8L as Reinhardt (52.3% overall) but I'm pretty sure it's just because I'm an awful tank.

Do you use charge way too often or move the shield around a lot so that people who were in cover and counting on it suddenly aren't and die? If these things aren't you you're probably fine.

Only tips for Reinhardt I have is know what actually goes through your shield and that Bastion chews up your turret but Toblerone's Turret barely hurts it.

McCree has no mobility - let him plod in, discharge a fan, a roll, and a fan and then just be stuck where he is. If he's fortunate he can flash to safety, but non-close range attackers will clean him off. He's good for his role and that's about it.

I love McCree, but he is not OP. that's clearly Hanzo. 🙃

I had a couple DVa's yesterday who completely ignored me for some reason and went for our tank. I shot the hell out of them because "Nice big target". But usually I don't bother.
Yep. If you're going to whip it out, dumb tanks with huge hitboxes are usually the best time to do so.

eek5

Do you use charge way too often or move the shield around a lot so that people who were in cover and counting on it suddenly aren't and die? If these things aren't you you're probably fine.

Only tips for Reinhardt I have is know what actually goes through your shield and that Bastion chews up your turret but Toblerone's Turret barely hurts it.

I know for sure I'm awful at the ultimate. I probably don't do enough dmg or get enough eliminations maybe.

I try to fire strike every 6 seconds and hit people behind enemy shields to charge my ult and I'm getting a bit better at that but still not great.

I'm really bad at charging so I rarely do it although it's something I've been working on. Still trying to get a good grasp of the right situations to do that since you obviously don't want to leave your team hanging on the payload to charge away lol. I mostly just stand there with the shield while we lose.

Another thing I guess I'm not really sure on is when I'm dying a lot should I change? I mean Rein is great for the payload but if things aren't working out I usually just stick with it and hope the team adapts but maybe I'm supposed to be the one that adapts. IDK.

Peff

This is how I feel when I have gold elims as support or tank in PUGs and lose. :( But to be fair we're kind of talking hypotheticals. Mercy is capable of contributing both healing and DPS it's probably just not the right way to play it for the majority of people lol.

Yep, it's very situational, but when it works out, it works out.

Unfortunately I play on ps4, and everyone I'm friends with is primarily a pc gamer and is playing it on their pc's. I don't have a mic either, I understand playing in groups would be less frustrating but I guess I don't have an real desire to do that unless it was with close friends. Still, matchmaking shouldn't be throwing us into these horribly lopsided matches if there's "skill based" matchmaking.

Im really not lol, according to that website (forget it's name) I have like a 62% winrate. Every match I que into is a literal annihilation.

Give it a couple of days. It seems to be happening to most people this past couple of days, which points to people waiting for the new month to purchase the game and the matchmaking mixing them up with an unequal number of more seasoned players. Hopefully it'll settle down this weekend.

McCree has no mobility - let him plod in, discharge a fan, a roll, and a fan and then just be stuck where he is. If he's fortunate he can flash to safety, but non-close range attackers will clean him off. He's good for his role and that's about it.

If he's engaging in spots people can react to him of course he's a sitting duck, but that's not what good McCrees do.

Hanzo is a joke

Lesath

I've tried this but it's really hard to keep track of everything that's going on and it exposes you to the enemy team. One of the advantages of damage amp is that you can hide around a corner in safety then immediately switch your beam to heal when the harassing teammate gets hurt. When you have your pistol out you tend to focus too much on putting shots down and it becomes easy to lose track of where your teammates are and if they need healing or not. Theres just way too much going on.

If you use beam toggle for example you can amp your teammate while looking around for the next target and if you see your amped teammate needs health you can toggle it then fly to the next person. If you were instead shooting along side your teammate you'd have to switch weapons then heal. It's awkward.

Optimally the right play is probably to shoot your pistol, switch to heal when needed, and amp people with really high dps in active engagements or people using their ults but it's pretty difficult to juggle all that while maintaining awareness of what's happening around you. I personally find it easier to just focus on sustaining people around me and keeping track of where everyone is.

Personally, I've felt that in scenarios where healing is not more useful (and those are very few and far in between), the damage boost seems about as situational as the pistol. As in, if putting yourself in the line of fire is an issue, you're probably going to end up using the healing boost to enbolden your ally to corner peek. Pistol kills also come with the added benefit of being hilarious, and switching is pretty quick with my MMO mouse.

Joke right? Because he's so totally not OP. His hitboxes are dumb, but that's about it.

Baliis

I know for sure I'm awful at the ultimate. I probably don't do enough dmg or get enough eliminations maybe.

I try to fire strike every 6 seconds and hit people behind enemy shields to charge my ult and I'm getting a bit better at that but still not great.

I'm really bad at charging so I rarely do it although it's something I've been working on. Still trying to get a good grasp of the right situations to do that since you obviously don't want to leave your team hanging on the payload to charge away lol. I mostly just stand there with the shield while we lose.

Just something remember from spectating you a bit last night, you blow your ult a lot right into the enemy Reinhardts shield, don't do that, the shield blocks the ult so it's just wasted.

Charging can be a really great option sometimes. Free kill if you catch someone and you force them to split their attention. They either turn around and deal with you and hopefully you charged into a position where you can shield up and by some time, or they ignore you and you hammer away at their back lines.

Also, for some reason tracers and genjis never expect me to just hammer them lol, gotta love it when they try to run in my face and just eat a hammer.

Unit 33

I've been playing for a couple of days now... I've had difficulty with a lot of the characters, but it's very rewarding when they suddenly *click*. I had a great time playing as Road Hog. He's unapologetically great.

why is hanzo bad
Slow rate of fire, non hitscan sniper. One random skill, a shittier version of Widow's ult and his ultimate is useless without Zarya against teams paying attention. No mobility and no way to cover himself or fight properly in close range so he's a sitting duck against flankers.

why is hanzo bad

Widowmaker's weapon is hitscan so it's more accurate than Hanzo's, especially at long range, it doesn't matter if you're an inch or a mile away, if Widowmaker was aiming at your head when she clicked, you die. With Hanzo you can avoid his arrows. Widowmaker's ult is also one of the best in the game, total wallhack regardless of position of teammates or enemies. Hanzo has an arrow that provides a similar benefit, but only for limited spaces. Hanzo's ult is also way less good at higher levels of gameplay, you're not gonna see 6 people dry humping a payload or objective trying and letting themselves eat a dragon to the face.

Because Widow does his job better.

I hope this is a joke post, because, while both being snipers of sorts, Hanzo and Widowmaker are very, very different in their weaknesses and strengths. Hanzo is superior in certain situations, Widowmaker in others.

Slow rate of fire, non hitscan sniper. One random skill, a shittier version of Widow's ult and his ultimate is useless without Zarya against teams paying attention. No mobility and no way to cover himself or fight properly in close range so he's a sitting duck against flankers.

Say what you want about Hanzo, but his ult is definitely the strongest in the game. This comes from a person who never really plays Hanzo. He's easily the #1 most POTG'd character, and it's always his ult.

Ketch

why is hanzo bad

Because widow maker and McCree exist.

There's no reason to play an immobile mid range sniper when those two heroes do his job better, easier, and do other things aswell. Except for to have fun, which he's pretty good for that IMO.

The best thing about hanzo is sonic arrow, but current state of widow maker means she's got wall hacks just as often or more then honzo does anyway so even that isn't so hot.

Also, to be clear, non of this matters in quick play environment.

Haines

Banned
I'm looking for detailed guides on characters.
I have hit level 35 and while I can grasp most of the game it feels like there are a lot of things the game simply let's you try to figure out on your own.

Is there an acclaimed YouTube series or written guides that people point to?

I'll give you an example. I don't have a fucking clue if Zaria laser is worth using or when.

Now that I understand the game I want to go through each character one by one and learn the little things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom