• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyne

There's basically no fun to be had in this game for me anymore. I play support/tank almost every match since everyone I'm paired with is usually a dps and we get steamrolled every match. I don't even remember the last time I qued for a game and we didn't get obliterated.

Find friends. Use GAF. Use forums. Stop solo-queueing.

I hope this is a joke post, because, while both being snipers of sorts, Hanzo and Widowmaker are very, very different in their weaknesses and strengths. Hanzo is superior in certain situations, Widowmaker in others.

Say what you want about Hanzo, but his ult is definitely the strongest in the game. This comes from a person who never played Hanzo. He's easily the #1 most POTG'd character, and it's always his ult.

Hanzo's ult works on bad players just like D.Va and Mei. The best ults are debatable, but at high level competitive play the conversation is not centered around Hanzo. Lucio, Mercy, and even Widow help the team way more. There is a reason high level competitive players use multiple Widows and don't use Hanzo.

http://www.planetoverwatch.org/12-overwatch-tier-list-and-hero-meta-report-the-payload-report

Ketch

Say what you want about Hanzo, but his ult is definitely the strongest in the game. This comes from a person who never really plays Hanzo. He's easily the #1 most POTG'd character, and it's always his ult.

Not even close. It's easily dodged and easily wasted. Best ult is probably deadeye because you get 50% charge back if you completely whiff. Or graviton/earth shatter because theyre what actually wins games

Edit: also forgot about mercy Rez which is actually probably the best ultimate when your talking about winning games.

Hanzo's ult is trash tier. You'd have to be frozen by Mei, stunned by Reinhardt or otherwise incapacitated to stand there and die from it. D.Va and Winston do that ult but better when it comes to clearing people out.

ExVicis

I know for sure I'm awful at the ultimate. I probably don't do enough dmg or get enough eliminations maybe.

I try to fire strike every 6 seconds and hit people behind enemy shields to charge my ult and I'm getting a bit better at that but still not great.

I'm really bad at charging so I rarely do it although it's something I've been working on. Still trying to get a good grasp of the right situations to do that since you obviously don't want to leave your team hanging on the payload to charge away lol. I mostly just stand there with the shield while we lose.

Another thing I guess I'm not really sure on is when I'm dying a lot should I change? I mean Rein is great for the payload but if things aren't working out I usually just stick with it and hope the team adapts but maybe I'm supposed to be the one that adapts. IDK.
If they're leaving you high and dry to die while Bastion rips through your shield I would suggest changing to someone like Zarya or another than can defend herself.

As for charge, usually if you can time it in a narrow space with a person or multiples then I would go for it. KotH maps can be pretty fun for charges if you wanna give it some practice. Firestrike try to lead a bit but it has a weird hitbox so if it's just in the general vicinity of an enemy it will typically hit. I usually use it if there's enemies nearby with low health and I'm pursuing. It does about 100 damage so it should finish off any injured weaker heroes.

As for the ultimate, it's a cone, it starts off in only hitting someone in a narrow area directly in front of you but then is spreads outwards after that. Typically if there's someone right in front of you is when you wanna use it, but also if the enemy managed to wander themselves into a direct line, perfect for a charge. A good time to use your Ult is if McCree is coming up to flashbang you over shield and your teammates haven't murdered him or are off screwing around somewhere else. It'll knock him down and give you the time to melee him to death or kill him with a charge.

Here's a good example of how to use Reinhardt's Ult.

706fd24cf80cb5278dc04ea62d53616d.gif

Hanzo's ult works on bad players just like D.Va and Mei. The best ults are debateable but at high level competitive play the conversation is not centered around Hanzo. Lucio, Mercy, and even Widow help the team way more. There is a reason high level competitive players use multiple Widows and don't use Hanzo.

http://www.planetoverwatch.org/12-overwatch-tier-list-and-hero-meta-report-the-payload-report

You can't possibly compare the strategies and stats from organized, competitive play with random unorganized games, lol. This is really silly.

Sifl

I still think there's something weird with the matchmaking. I was complaining that almost all my matches were horribly lopsided recently, almost to the point where I was playing against organized teams in solo que. Then I que for 2 matches where the enemy team literally couldn't do anything, I just had like a 4 minute el dorado where the enemy team didn't even contest the payload except right when we walked out of spawn.

You can't possibly compare the strategies and stats from organized, competitive play with random unorganized games, lol. This is really silly.

Doesn't take a pro player to realize you shouldn't stand in front of the massive, loud and slow moving dragon. Take a few steps to the left and suddenly, ult negated.

mbpm1

Hanzo's ult only kills if you're not paying attention/put yourself in a terrible spot.

Otherwise it's just an average "make the enemy move" ult

And no, you don't have to be a pro player to realize that when you hear Japanese you should run

Yes I can because you said best in the game. You didn't say "best in quick play format against low level unorganized players." When people talk about best, better, or tiers in pvp games, the discussion is usually assumed to involve players of equal skill at the highest levels. Otherwise, what's the point? It's like arguing high school football strategies when the NFL exists to discuss the best ways to play football.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Say what you want about Hanzo, but his ult is definitely the strongest in the game. This comes from a person who never really plays Hanzo. He's easily the #1 most POTG'd character, and it's always his ult.

Nah - it's either Mr. High Noon with his recharge; D.Va if you're good at "tossing" the explosion (and the fact she basically gets two lives for every spawn); or Mercy - because a well-timed respawn has won the game for us more times than just about any other support move.

Ketch

But that's what people are talking about though. Like in a normal play environment hanzo is totally fine, ninja on, he's good. But when it comes down to brass tacks which characters are better then others hanzo is clearly outclassed by many other heroes. Widow, McCree, even soldier are better at doing What hanzo does.

No...no it's not. It's easily dodged and requires very specific timing and lucky placement to be worthwhile.
Hanzo isn't even getting POTG that much on the rare occasions I play with pubs. Because even those goobers have figured out the simplicity of sidestepping that ult.

Hanzo's ult only kills if you're not paying attention/put yourself in a terrible spot.

Otherwise it's just an average "make the enemy move" ult

And no, you don't have to be a pro player to realize that when you hear Japanese you should run

That too. If I hear any Japanese, "Nerf this!" or "It's high noon..." I know to hide or run. With Widowmaker, you don't hear and don't know you're being watching until you see the replay.

If they're leaving you high and dry to die while Bastion rips through your shield I would suggest changing to someone like Zarya or another than can defend herself.
Just a note: Zarya can't defend herself from Bastion. Her shield works best at deflecting individual big hits (sniper rounds, rockets, Junkrat's tire), whereas Bastion clocks up massive damage from lots and lots (and lots) of bullets. So he burns through her shield in a blink.

The problem with Hanzo's ult is that it relies entirely on the enemy not moving out of the way for whatever reason, so unless the enemy is braindead you will need some help. Same with Mei and D.Va's, but those don't go in a straight line, Mei's is a huge circle that slows people down so they can't leave/become easy pickings and D.Va's is instant death in a massive radius making the enemy flee and panic.

The best ults are ones you can't dodge or negate.

Can't dodge Reinhardt or Zarya, they have complete control over where and when the ult will come out and can change the tide of a match by themselves.

Can't negate Mercy's ult because it happens instantly.

Kyoufu

I hope this is a joke post, because, while both being snipers of sorts, Hanzo and Widowmaker are very, very different in their weaknesses and strengths. Hanzo is superior in certain situations, Widowmaker in others.

As a Hanzo main, this can't be real.

I even have Hanzo's wolf skin which makes his ultimate activation harder to hear and it still isn't as good as you think it is. Hanzo's ult is probably one of the worst in the game if you're facing anyone with the ability to sidestep.

Kymbo

Excuse my ignorance but how do I group with fellow gaffers? Been playing solo for the past few days.
I haven't seen any threads for grouping?

Apathy

The same was we can have random highlight intro, wish they would just let us have random voice lines and random victory poses

As a Hanzo main, this can't be real.

Oh, but it is.

I've played the game a lot, and Hanzo is definitely the most common character in POTG. Bastion, McCree, Reaper, Torbjörn, Soldier 76 and Junkrat also appear a lot, but nowhere close to Hanzo. I've seen Hanzo get 4-6 kills with his ult so many times. It goes through walls too, and travels really far.

hear: "WORDS IN JAPANESE"

do:walk slightly to the left.

Great guide.

ExVicis

Just a note: Zarya can't defend herself from Bastion. Her shield works best at deflecting individual big hits (sniper rounds, rockets, Junkrat's tire), whereas Bastion clocks up massive damage from lots and lots (and lots) of bullets. So he burns through her shield in a blink.

He sure does, but her shots often enough are arc over and hit Bastion who probably hasn't moved since you last saw him while you're in safety.

nOoblet16

There was a Genji who was terrorising my entire team last night so I decided to switch to McCree to counter him.

Nope. Still terrorised. Dude was deflecting my fucking stuns. I couldn't touch him at all.

I say nerf Genji! :D

Kyoufu sucks as McCree confirmed.

Zaventem

yay!

Overwatch_Origins_Edition_20160603123344.png

Still haven't gotten 4 man res because i tend to have everyone topped off. Maybe i'll be bad on purpose or hope for a team wipe.

Kyoufu

Oh, but it is.

I've played the game a lot, and Hanzo is definitely the most common character in POTG. Bastion, McCree, Reaper, Torbjörn, Soldier 76 and Junkrat also appear a lot, but nowhere close to Hanzo. I've seen Hanzo get 4-6 kills with his ult so many times. It goes through walls too, and travels really far.

I don't actually believe you've played the game a lot. Sorry bro :(

You won't find many people agreeing with you. Hanzo's ult is super predictable and easy to avoid.

mbpm1

Oh, but it is.

This might be the case now, but I think even in casual, low-level play this won't last imo.

Kyoufu

Kyoufu sucks as McCree confirmed.

Nah the Genji we faced was just incredible.

Genji is one of the stronger heroes in the game. McCree is great for taking out one hero at a time, but Genji can wipe the floor with multiple without them really knowing what just happened.

Of course, not many are great with Genji so it's rare to see him dominate to that extent.

Tidalwave

There was a Genji who was terrorising my entire team last night so I decided to switch to McCree to counter him.

Nope. Still terrorised. Dude was deflecting my fucking stuns. I couldn't touch him at all.

I say nerf Genji! :D
No. If Genji gets nerfed he will be useless. Just flashbang the ground so he cant deflect it.

Love how the proof is "I played this game a lot" like the rest of us haven't. Literally no one in here is agreeing and there is an outside source of pure data, yet he stands firm in his assessment.

This is why pubbing is in the state it is.

nOoblet16

Nah the Genji we faced was just incredible.

Genji is one of the stronger heroes in the game. McCree is great for taking out one hero at a time, but Genji can wipe the floor with multiple without them really knowing what just happened.

Of course, not many are great with Genji so it's rare to see him dominate to that extent.
Genji and McCree are 50-50 given equal skill tbh.
But you play on consoles !! Genji can't be good there cause of the slow turn speed yo.

idonteven

fought against a full premade team as solo player... how ?

laid traps infront of spawn,hanzo shot arrows up so they would come down and 2 mercy both boosthing them

aint nobody doing that on solo que

Kyoufu

Genji and McCree are 50-50 given equal skill tbh.
But you play on consoles !! Genji can't be good there cause of the slow turn speed yo.

Yeah I was surprised to see him being played like a total ninja. Maybe they used a superior control method or something. It was pretty amazing (and infuriating) to be dominated by one hero haha.

Anyway, I'm going to go back to laughing at the idea of Hanzo's ultimate being one of the best in the game.

mbpm1

Yeah I was surprised to see him being played like a total ninja. Maybe they used a superior control method or something. It was pretty amazing (and infuriating) to be dominated by one hero haha.

Anyway, I'm going to go back to laughing at the idea of Hanzo's ultimate being one of the best in the game.

Don't laugh at Hanzo

He'll launch his very slow moving attack at you with a yelled warning

mdsfx

Been playing on PS4 because I like using a controller. Should I be concerned with the console player base dying off and should I consider switching to PC based on that alone?

Hyun Sai

fought against a full premade team as solo player... how ?

laid traps infront of spawn,hanzo shot arrows up so they would come down and 2 mercy both boosthing them

aint nobody doing that on solo que

Remember you can be put with a 5 pre-made team to fill the gap, and against similar pre-made teams.

Even if you eat a Hanzo ult there's a good chance you can live long enough to get out of it if your health is topped off because how the damage is spread out as opposed to being a nuke. The only reason it's not the worst damage ult in the game is because Dva and Pharah exist.

Unless you are a pink haired Russian, in which case just walk right in for a free 100% charge.

You gotta be careful not to get too far into it because it can and will pop your 2 second shield and kill you. But yes, i do this too all the time... pop get in and get out and you're usually charged up to dominated asses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom