• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TP

I've learned a lot about vs AI today while trying to sort out my driver crashes

1. It pairs you up with other people
2. The bots actually say GG at the end of the match, a Zenyatta bot told us it voted for itself
3. You earn experience

styl3s

Man i was in a game and somehow we all ended up Winston and stuck together for a few more games just being stupid and having fun and it makes me wanna get a group together on PC who plays on a regular basis for competitive play but also just to have fun but i am no MLG leet pro player and don't want to be yelled at for when i am not being on that level.

I mean, i am not a bad player i would consider myself above average or even "good" but the thought of getting together a group and making some new friends is bringing back some bad memories i had with some groups in CS and it really fucking bums me out.

Saved 1000 coins again, but there isn't any other skin I'd really want to blow it on. Already got the ones I really wanted, so I might save it for Sombra's skins. If you could take a wild guess when you'd think they'll release her?

His moment of glory.

I thought it was just funny. Especially when I killed him the next few times we ran into each other.

Like you killed one of the squishiest and least-mobile characters in the game with the character that can combo anyone life to death-- it's hardly worth bragging about lol

Saved 1000 coins again, but there isn't any other skin I'd really want to blow it on. Already got the ones I really wanted, so I might save it for Sombra's skins. If you could take a wild guess when you'd think they'll release her?

If I were to take a wild guess, I think you'll be able to save up a few thousand more coins before there's any movement on that front.

rrs

Even though most people don't use mics, they can still hear you. I've successfully commanded a few teams where I was the only guy speaking. It feels bossy, but sometimes people need a little guidance
To answer your question though, Reinhardt (preferably 2) + Hanzo/Windowmaker can make short work of turrets
Yeah, snipers can blow up turrets easily although to get in position could open them up to flank attacks, etc and put you back to the beginning

Nazo

#256 Zarya checking in. I didn't know about this website. Very cool.
Also lol at my W/L at exactly 66/66

I've gone several games in a row now where I've been able to completely dodge his ult. There's a big, obvious sound and it moves slowly. If you're a Bastien or Tank character in the dead center of the shot, you're probably SOL though, but that's fair

That's a super cool site, I'm apparently ranked #309 for Reaper. Out of the 7 million+ people who play this game I'm feeling pretty good about that rank. :)

Speely

Banned
I thought it was just funny. Especially when I killed him the next few times we ran into each other.

Like you killed one of the squishiest and least-mobile characters in the game with the character that can combo anyone life to death-- it's hardly worth bragging about lol

Sometimes folks are just such big fans of a hero that they want to hammer it home.

I wouldn't be suprised if she came with the ranked playlist, with a new map or two as well, maybe.

MUnited83

For you.
Saying "12 turrets" really doesn't scare me. I usually get killed by them the first time I walk by them when I don't know that there's a Sym on the opposite team, but after that, they're very easily gotten rid of.

Sure. You can play her and win with her. You can even play double with her and win with her. She's still usually a suboptimal pick in comparison to other picks.

I mean, i'm not claiming this is some super ultra good competitive strat, just that it has been working very well for my team, better than some more diverse picks.

Jblanks

Yeah but, you can consciously to not to continue to fire rockets into a Zarya that has a barrier. =P

Fair point. I had an allied Mei trap me behind an ice wall while the enemy was contesting the point. It sucked. ;_;

Well yea that's different lol.

Nope, turns out worst feeling is when you're losing a game and then it CRASHES and you manage to get back in just in time to lose without even taking the first point :(

2. The bots actually say GG at the end of the match, a Zenyatta bot told us it voted for itself
3. You earn experience

Yup, I'll do a bot match to warm up before a session or to cool down when I'm frustrated with the solo experience. The very first time I saw all the "gg" messages roll in, I mistakenly thought the game was multiplatform and that the PC players I was with were all typing in GG's -- then I saw the names and realized it was the bot scripting.

It also helps me keep my Tracer time played at #1, because I'm a sorry fanboy and I don't always have the opportunity to play Tracer in my normal matches. More often than not, I'll go Lucio or Mercy because it feels like hardly anyone will budge to a healer in random matches.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's a super cool site, I'm apparently ranked #309 for Reaper. Out of the 7 million+ people who play this game I'm feeling pretty good about that rank. :)

You realise it ranks by playform and region?

Sorry :3

My w/l continues to be about the same, 55.1%, and over 60% with my top 3 most played heroes (Hanzo, Zarya and Tor, Zarya has almlst 70% heh). Im actually surprised Mercy and especially Junkrat are bellow 50%, I feel like I won more games than lost with those.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Finding out you earn exp from vs AI matches turned Overwatch into my "semi-afk while listening to podcasts" game. If you pick a healer or Torb you're basically guaranteed a gold medal in every match too for that sweet bonus.

It's funny in vs AI matches, 90% of the people are only playing heroes with legendary skins which makes me suspect a few things. Either they've lucked into some skins for heroes they don't play often and want to "practice" against bots (quotes because the bots are so stupid you glean nothing useful from stomping them) or this game has a contingent of whales that maybe likes the character designs and sinks money into loot boxes, but is PVP-averse and just plays comp stomps. If the latter is true, holy shit do I feel bad for those people. But to each their own I suppose.

Tho, I say this as someone who has spent multiple hours stomping comps and who owns like 10 legendary skins, so maybe everybody else is just semi-AFK listening to podcasts like me.

Carm

Temple of Anubis on attack, getting destroyed. I die and respawn as soon as I take a step I die to Hanzo ultimate, very irritating.

Kings Row on attack other team is 5 Torb and one Sym, just couldn't break something like that in a pug where others keep picking Genji, Tracer and snipers that can't hit stationery targets.

Blizzard really wants to keep me at 55% winrate by sabotaging my queue to put me on teams that just get steamrolled, sometimes barely making it out of the spawn room.

Finally got 100 wins though.

NimbusD

3. You earn experience

Interesting!

You're having driver crashes too? I'm going insane. Other games maybe crash my gpu driver once in a blue moon, but this game makes it crash like once an hour or more. I've tried everything. Sometimes underclocking works for a bit then it doesnt. That's the best I've got.

grimmiq

2x Tor on defense in Temple of Anubis is just nasty, didn't notice someone else switched to him, the 2 turrets just minced everything, new personal best of 45 eliminations with me only killing 5 personally..such skill!

Temple of Anubis on attack, getting destroyed. I die and respawn as soon as I take a step I die to Hanzo ultimate, very irritating.

I feel like there are a few maps like this that just aren't fair. You can say "oh, just counter X with Y" all day long, but it doesn't make it easy or fair once the other team digs in. A lot of these issues could be alleviated with a few extra paths to take instead of forcing everyone through one choke-point.

MUnited83

For you.
How do you counter torb spam? I feel like some maps just have turret places that are impossible to break and no one uses fucking voice chat so you can't coordinate taking out the turrets one by one. Even if you come close to killing oneby yourself there two more turrets elsewhere and everyone is too busy reapering the Reinhardt to care about the point.

D.VA spam. tell everyone to boost and use shield to get close to the turrets and destroy them. My team just went against a Torb spam team and they were very quickly dealt with that way. Which was very satisfying since their team was bragging on how we were "fucked" :p

Nazo

You realise it ranks by playform and region?

Sorry :3

My w/l continues to be about the same, 55.1%, and over 60% with my top 3 most played heroes (Hanzo, Zarya and Tor, Zarya has almlst 70% heh). Im actually surprised Mercy and especially Junkrat are bellow 50%, I feel like I won more games than lost with those.

Still, Feels pretty cool one way or another. I'm just happy to see all my hard work with reaper has somewhat gotten me somewhere!

TP

Interesting!

You're having driver crashes too? I'm going insane. Other games maybe crash my gpu driver once in a blue moon, but this game makes it crash like once an hour or more. I've tried everything. Sometimes underclocking works for a bit then it doesnt. That's the best I've got.

Rolling back gpu driver seems to have worked
but I was having no problems yesterday and the issue started the day before

so who knows

LiK

2x Tor on defense in Temple of Anubis is just nasty, didn't notice someone else switched it the 2 turrets just minced everything, new personal best of 45 eliminations with me only killing 5 personally..such skill!

2-3 Tor turrets, with a Sym and Bastion and it's impossible to get in.

NimbusD

Nope, turns out worst feeling is when you're losing a game and then it CRASHES and you manage to get back in just in time to lose without even taking the first point :(

Yeah tell me about it. Having real probs with it crashing (don't blame the game but either fucking AMD or microsoft for forcing windows 10 on me or a mixture of both).

It's stunting my ability to get loot boxes cuz bliz thinks i"m dropping on purpose and penalizes me so I get liek 10xp per game even if I murder everything.

D.VA spam. tell everyone to boost and use shield to get close to the turrets and destroy them. My team just went against a Torb spam team and they were very quickly dealt with that way. Which was very satisfying since their team was bragging on how we were "fucked" :p

Does the charge actually do damage when it pushes into someone or is it just meant to get you close?

Moonkeis

My gosh, is it Friday crap night? Coming across the worst random group of players. You know your team is horrible when you are pushing on defense as Mercy and get a POTG from raising 3 players and killing 3 enemies at the same time because your team is hiding behind you...

vypek

As many Symmetras there are in the game I imagine.

Symmetra won't gain any Ultimate charge while she has a teleporter up, so a single one can only place one.

Okay. I was just wondering if one teleporter would turn of someone else's

It's surprising the number of Junkrats I've seen that don't know you can make the rip-tire jump. I like coming in from above:)

Yep. Of all the rip-tires I have seen, only one other person besides myself has made them jump around and harder to kill. I haven't seen anyone else drive it up a wall for an ambush. :) Coming in from above sounds good. I'll try that out sometime

NimbusD

Rolling back gpu driver seems to have worked
but I was having no problems yesterday and the issue started the day before

so who knows

Yeah I tried everything sans rolling back my OS to windows 8.1 (but it crashed occasionally then too so it seems like a lot of work when I don't have faith that it'll do much).

But I've installed old drivers, the new driver multiple times, over/underclocked, cranked up fan speed, updated bios even! Idk. About to just say fuck it and try getting a newer gpu. But seeing my luck, it'll prob be more of the same idk.

MUnited83

For you.
Interesting!

i get one but only after like 5/6 hours

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
2-3 Tor turrets, with a Sym and Bastion and it's impossible to get in.

Unless you have a Rein constantly shielding them, a sniper or two will eat all of those up.

Also had a funny game earlier also on Anubis where they had some sort of strong nest but I ignored it and blitzed to the point with Lucio speed boost and capped like half so they panicked and 3 of them came to the point, they killed me but it scrambled the nest enough for the rest of my team to get through. I love shit like that.

Also if someone from the EUgaf group that had that annoying Hanamura defeat at the end of the night is still around at this ungodly hour (Gwyn? Lol), I just remembered another thing that would have ripped that Rein/Bastion/Tor nest up...fucking Symmetra alt fire :/

4 Winstons 2 Symmetras. Hindsight etc ;_;

Rhaknar

It does do damage, even if only a little bit (might be around the same that regular melee does)

Lucio pushback thing? It does dmg I use it all the time to kill ppl because the gun has that second where it stops shooting after the 3 "waves"

Saying "12 turrets" really doesn't scare me. I usually get killed by them the first time I walk by them when I don't know that there's a Sym on the opposite team, but after that, they're very easily gotten rid of.

Sure. You can play her and win with her. You can even play double with her and win with her. She's still usually a suboptimal pick in comparison to other picks.
Sub-optimal? You make it sound like she's weak yet Symmetra has the highest win percentage both at this moment and five months ago when Blizzard commented on win rates during the beta. Ironically, she is also the least popular hero in the game. So while not many people like her, those who do consistently perform very well with her. They win, a lot. My own win rate w/Sym is sitting at a nice 75% over 83 games and 9 hours. On defense she is absolutely not a sub-optimal pick in the hands of someone who knows her.

130 WINS out of 261 matches

MAMA IM ABOUT TO MAKE IT TO .500

I wouldn't take it too seriously. I'm at 52% W/L. Teams are completely random, so there's not a lot you can do. I find that there are a lot of people still playing this like a deathmatch game. I lured a Zarya away from her capture point today and just ran circles around some set piece and my team won the match as a result.

Rhaknar

Played against someone that was a level 98. I wonder how many hours that took.

I played a 117 earlier (or star + 17). A Symmetra actually aince we're talking about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom