• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
If (when?) they implement ranked playlists, I would like to see a single hero restriction for each team (mirrors are fine but no 2x of a hero).

Honestly I think that this game is so much about cheese and cheap tactics that single hero will just be a sticking plaster fix to that. But there is a big difference in that high level play cheese is different to low level cheese. Competitive players don't really care because to competitive people the only thing that really matters is winning and reliable tactics they can use to get a win are what they always argue for. But for viewers I have doubts about this game being fun to watch.

Djinnyatta. Also i can't believe yo haven't made your decision yet.

Hey, I narrowed it down last night to those 2 before I went to bed :p. Already got an epic for D.Va so her legendary can wait and I like Junkrat's Toasted epic skin more then his legendaries tbh so I'll get that one later. Picking skins is hard man.

Hey guys anyone run into this problem? Everytime I exit overwatch my battlenet still thinks its running, it won't let me play again until I turn off/restart my pc. For clarification I literally exit to desktop in OV and tried quitting battlenet and it still thinks it's running.

*edit* found a fix, if anyone is having trouble with this just bring up task manager and end task of "battlenet 32 bit*

It confused me seeing as how overwatch wasn't on the task manager but ending the battlenet client fixed it.

I wonder if Mercy could be made more interesting by giving her the ability to glide towards enemies (on the unused ability key E on PC.)

It'll give her some options when her designated driver dies on the frontline instead of just instantly turning into flanker bait... doesn't seem too game-breaking with the slow glide and weak pistol.

I have to say, my experience consistently fails to match the one everyone is reporting where Reinhardt is vital to success as the attacking team.

I don't find this to be true at all. If anything, I dislike having Reinhardt on my team on the attack because he stultifies my team's play into an extremely vulnerable pattern of grouping up behind Reinhardt, where they can easily be bombed or flanked. With a better tank people play more aggressively. It's easy to push the payload if everybody is just dead.

Anybody can push the payload. It has a big heal on it to help you out. You don't need to hide behind a shield -- just hide behind the payload! Don't tie yourself to one little landknecht.

I enjoy watching those cheese comps in KotH more than I enjoy watching Payload matches. Would enjoy them even more without BS stuns everywhere, but whatever.

Somebody always has to be on the Payload regardless, and there's nothing about shields that force your entire team to group up behind them.

Yeah that's been my impression so far, if your whole team is grouping up behind the Reinhardt they're doing it wrong. Reinhardt is there to push the payload by himself or with one other person without getting instantly blown up by snipers and whatnot. Any other character is at a huge disadvantage as the front-line damage soak when you have to stand/walk in a relatively stationary position. What other option could be considered better for absorbing incoming damage than the guy with a 2,000 point recharging shield?

Reinhardt gives your team the freedom to play more offensively because you don't have to worry about the payload as much. It forces the enemy team to devote more resources to taking down his shield (possibly forcing character swaps), which opens up side-lanes for the rest of your team to break through.

ScribbleD

I'm aware that Overwatch's matchmaking system tries to match organized teams against each other such that a full team of 6 players in a party don't get matched against 6 random people, but how does that work for smaller parties? If I play with a group of 2-3 people, myself included, do we just get matched against other teams with similarly small parties + randoms?

I don't understand how so many times my team will get the point 99:0 and then somehow magically it gets reversed and the idiots all end up chasing people down back alleys until we lose, it's the healer's curse or something...

This one match a sniper was standing openly on a roof and killing everyone over and over until I finally said fuck healing warped next to the fucker as reaper and shot their head off. I don't get it, how are people getting to lvl 50+ without any situational awareness >_<

I want to be offense so badly but I swear I am either a tank or heals just purely because nobody cares to play them. I hope when more characters come they are heal or tank based just to give me some variety.

Edit: and ya the matchmaking is unreal, you do great with a group, nope time to split you up and toss you as the healer for 5 snipers on assualt fml

I don't understand how so many times my team will get the point 99:0 and then somehow magically it gets reversed and the idiots all end up chasing people down back alleys until we lose, it's the healer's curse or something..
I would not be surprised if there's some hidden rubber banding going on, this situation happens too often.

Herla

I'm done trying to figure out how matchmaking works, I'm rank 31 and just finished a match against a team that had a rank 97 and someone with a star (which I'm assuming is "prestige").

We managed to win, but it's messed up.

Rogan

Banned
I'm looking for players to join! I'm new, played about 12 hours. When my friends are offline I'm usually playing quickmatch. I don't like quickmatch, it always result in me being the healer because the rest of the team doesn't give a shit. and go solo. I'm on PC, DM me if you want to team up.

Mugenjin

This one match a sniper was standing openly on a roof and killing everyone over and over until I finally said fuck healing warped next to the fucker as reaper and shot their head off. I don't get it, how are people getting to lvl 50+ without any situational awareness >_<

That's pretty much the reason why level is not the defintive indicator of skill. It's only time spent which could mean that higher levels should have better situational awareness or better grasp of game mechanics etc but not necessarily so. I've seen idiots insist on playing a hero over another player because they were 10-20 lvls higher *facepalm*

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
So, the leaver penalty. How does it work? I didn't even know it existed before today. Just fired up Overwatch for the first time in 24 hours and there's a notice on the title screen that I have a leaver penalty. OK. Yeah, I left some games because I have a five day old daughter and also got put into some really stupid groups and don't have time to waste.

I play my first game and win and I get a 75% xp reduction. It pretty much eliminates my first win of the day bonus. Thanks, Blizz! Second game, I don't see the notice anymore. Cool. Win second game. Get 75% xp reduction. Wut. OK, restart game. Play again. No notice of penalty on title screen or anywhere. 75% xp reduction. Am I fucked for life or something?

I actually don't mind the penalty, I would just like to have been notified beforehand this would happen. That way I won't start games when I'm on daughter duty. Pretty annoyed by the lack of transparency on this.

I would not be surprised if there's some hidden rubber banding going on, this situation happens too often.

I feel like the percentage ticker goes way faster in these kind of overtime situations than it normally does at the start of a match. But that could very well be confirmation bias at work.

I'm done trying to figure out how matchmaking works, I'm rank 31 and just finished a match against a team that had a rank 97 and someone with a star (which I'm assuming is "prestige").

We managed to win, but it's messed up.
because levels have nothing to do with skill, just time played. once ranked comes out this will be resolved.

Jintor

just gave a couple of characters i hadn't tried a spin. McCree is good, he's probably going into rotation. I can't play Bastion or Roadhog for shit so they're out. Mei is real fun (she almost operates like a pyro to my feel but with more blocking) but I need a good team to back her up. I need more practice with Widowmaker but I think there are already a lot of good snipers around and I don't have the twitch necessary to play her sadly :(

Herla

because levels have nothing to do with skill, just time played. once ranked comes out this will be resolved.

I would generally agree, but a rank 90+ pretty much played thrice as much as me. I'd consider that enough of a difference to make me think it's not fair.

Dueck

Banned
It's funny how it was a lot easier to unlock stuff in the beta (or am I insane), then when loot crates are for sale it's slow as molasses and the stuff isn't as good. Apparently I needed that more frequent rate of gratification, because I am not having nearly as much fun with the full game and that's the only change to the flow that I've noticed. I like the game, it's well made, but I'm sort of wishing I'd waited now rather than have $70cdn tied up in it.

One thing that's especially odd is how Widowmaker was my best character in the beta, but now I basically suck with her and got better with Pharah (Solder 76 has remained a constant main choice though).

Lucio is boring, but Mercy and Zenyatta are really fun to play. Especially if you have the Pharah+Mercy combo, following her around and gliding with her movement ability is so fun. And Zenyatta just fucks shit up if your aim is on point. Of course if your team sucks then it's the worst.

Lucio is fun. Mercy is boring. With Lucio you get to run around just as much if not more so than Mercy, you're attacking while healing, knocking people's asses back, getting up in the thick of the fight. As Lucio you can skate and hug the Payload all day, as Mercy you pretty much just die.

Hex

Banned
So, the leaver penalty. How does it work? I didn't even know it existed before today. Just fired up Overwatch for the first time in 24 hours and there's a notice on the title screen that I have a leaver penalty. OK. Yeah, I left some games because I have a five day old daughter and also got put into some really stupid groups and don't have time to waste.

I play my first game and win and I get a 75% xp reduction. It pretty much eliminates my first win of the day bonus. Thanks, Blizz! Second game, I don't see the notice anymore. Cool. Win second game. Get 75% xp reduction. Wut. OK, restart game. Play again. No notice of penalty on title screen or anywhere. 75% xp reduction. Am I fucked for life or something?

I actually don't mind the penalty, I would just like to have been notified beforehand this would happen. That way I won't start games when I'm on daughter duty. Pretty annoyed by the lack of transparency on this.

Quitter penalty is pretty well known

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Phara - seem to die very quickly not kill much st all :( also heard a lot of people liking d.va but I found her to be a bit squishy for a tank and with no real firepower? (I know this is a case of me not knowing how to play than the characters actually being as I describe)
Just shoot rockets bruh, like, all the time dawg.

Seriously. You basically win almost all mid-range damage trades, have 2 escapes. It just comes down to aiming at correct points (pin point aim at long distance is important to splash correctly) and not shoot all over the place. No one ever looks up in this game except that ruin KOTH map so any jumpjet -> rockets should be garunteed at least 300+ damage. You destroy tank armor so hard it's not even funny and have one of the best ultimates in the game.

Things to do:
  • Hug walls while flying so you can knockback yourself away from enemy fire when they decide to shoot you
  • Aggressively pressure Widows
  • Don't get sniped
  • Don't pick into a team with a lot of hitscan
  • Don't be in the air if more than one person is shooting you
  • Use falling + jets to dodge, not moving side to side until you have no fuel left
  • Spam rockets all the time from an angle away from your team if possible, otherwise just spam
7b136636c8.jpg
Haven't gotten a single Pharah skin drop either

One thing that's especially odd is how Widowmaker was my best character in the beta, but now I basically suck with her and got better with Pharah (Solder 76 has remained a constant main choice though).

You're playing against people who bought an fps instead of people who just tried one that was available for free.

nOoblet16

Someone that's more interested in blocking damage than getting a dank hook percentage
What are you even talking about Roadhog is the tankiest tank after Reinhardt. He has the highest base health in the game. His heal is super powerful as it heals 300HP in an instant and charges in 6 seconds. You will almost always enter a fight with full HP and can even heal midfight.

It's incredible how much of Overwatch is lifted directly from Team Fortress 2. There is definitely a little spite about Dota 2 baked into the core of it.

Lucio is fun. Mercy is boring. With Lucio you get to run around just as much if not more so than Mercy, you're attacking while healing, knocking people's asses back, getting up in the thick of the fight. As Lucio you can skate and hug the Payload all day, as Mercy you pretty much just die.

I find when I use Mercy the team has to have a proper tank and flanker setup, if not I am the number one target for everything, it's awful sometimes you go in with a competent tank and get swarmed only to notice you and the tank were the only ones even pushing =/

Lucio is definitely more friendly to heal with when teams are being the usual *rolls eyes* at least he can stay alive longer and passively heal the one or two that are near the objective lol

It's incredible how much of Overwatch is lifted directly from Team Fortress 2. There is definitely a little spite about Dota 2 baked into the core of it.

If you were Blizzard and let what would come to be the ancestor of two of the most popular games ever slip through your fingers you'd be a bit bitter too.

mikemandey

I'm currently level 39. Looks like I have quite good luck, 7 legendary and 4 epic skins along with 3 legendary coins (1500) to spend, so far.

edit: And luckily, no duplicates!

pa22word

Ugh man I love tanking on payload with Reinhardt, but for some reason I just cannot get his offense down at all. Any tips?

Also it really sucks when you're shielding a payload all the way to victory and like no one or just one guy on the team is taking advantage of the free cover to help push =\

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Every game tonight has been double bastion plus Toblerone and if lucky no Symmetra

The other night I had triple Toblerones on one team. Was hilarious. Another time the enemy team was entirely composed of Dvas. It's sad that I cannot play one decent game with proper team composition. Is anyone experiencing nothing but clusterfucks of games?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The other night I had triple Toblerones on one team. Was hilarious. Another time the enemy team was entirely composed of Dvas. It's sad that I cannot play one decent game with proper team composition. Is anyone experiencing nothing but clusterfucks of games?

I feel like this will die down in a month or two when the flavor of the month players move on to something else and the ones who stay have played enough to learn about proper team composition.

It would be me accidentally shooting off needed ultimates right after respawning.

And me blowing myself up (and just myself) with D.Va's ult.

Making a whole team rage quit is funny but also sucks because you don't get yours victory you deserve that game. That happened to me on Gilberter tonight.

I find when I use Mercy the team has to have a proper tank and flanker setup, if not I am the number one target for everything, it's awful sometimes you go in with a competent tank and get swarmed only to notice you and the tank were the only ones even pushing =/

Lucio is definitely more friendly to heal with when teams are being the usual *rolls eyes* at least he can stay alive longer and passively heal the one or two that are near the objective lol

Yeah I can't count the number of times I've been flanked as Mercy and then intercepted by a roaming McCree on the way back. With Lucio, if I die, I'm just like lol speed boost fuk u m8 see you back at the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom