• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksan

Widowmaker is actually quite amazing on offense, if not one of the best, for taking the first point.
As the spawn is usually way further away for the defenders, a safe pick off or two can be used as a signal for going in on the point. On a lot of levels it might be better to swap after that's done though.

In KotH on the other hand...

MrHoot

Yeah i'm on the side of "I'd rather have a Widow than a genji"

A good widow is fantastic. In fact it's one of the most powerful assets you can have as it can nullify's an enemy team's advantage in seconds. Every squishy is fair game. Plus her ult is insanely useful for the whole team.

I use her sometimes on offense if we have enough other offense/tanks and a support. Just laying down suppressing fires on a team that's trying to cut us off is enough to turn the tides

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Why people get angry when I play with thorbjörn in attack matches ? I like to play engineers in all games and while I am not the best I can manage my own and contribute to the team. In this game however people reported me for playing as thorb in attack matches... I tried most of the attack characters and didn't like the way they played. Is it wrong I don't like a play style and use my own ?

Torbjorn isn't terrible if it's a payload map on attack. Just set up your turret on the payload and try and protect it while it moves thru the map. If you're attacking on a pure attack/defend map (Hanamura, Anubis, Volskaya) you're actively impeding your team's ability to win.

The only use case I can think of is to put the turret down behind your team's front line to prevent the enemy flanker heroes like Tracer and Genji from getting behind and disrupting your team as you're respawning, but that's still pretty much a poor use of a hero slot since most defense teams won't be running those heroes unless they have someone being equally useless on their team as well, which I guess I wouldn't put past them.

edit: if you're looking for ideas for heroes to help an attack that aren't strictly "offense" heroes, play a defense or tank hero with a wombo combo ultimate like Junkrat or Zarya. They are pretty underplayed heroes on attack and their ultimates can crack a defense wide open.

Honestly sniping is very easy in this game. Not only are offensive snipers potentially useful but they are the only thing stopping your whole team being wiped by their widow at higher levels. To not single out widow players most dps players will avoid the objective like it's made out of lava and will negatively affect their mlg stats. Really you need three or four people on the objective I think. If they wipe the best that their back line could do is try to keep it alive for a second.

Yeah, I don't see the argument that Widowmaker is bad on offense. Absurdly powerful weapon at both close range and long range, wallhacks, proxy mine's, incredibly generous headshot hitboxes, and a near-instant charge time. Even a moderately decent Widowmaker can clean up pubs.

Zemm

An uncontested widowmaker is going to cause massive problems for a team, whether it's on offence of defence. You need another widowmaker to contest her or someone like reaper to pressure her, or both.

I'm disappointed they added a traditional sniper like her to the game though, wasn't Hanzo enough? Now we have two sniper classes and we all know people love picking their snipers. Also her ultimate is bullshit, never a fan of stuff like that in a game. They also need to make it obvious when she uses it like how UAV is announced in CoD.

Fliesen

Maybe instead you could do a variation where instead of returning the flag to a home base, you get points for keeping it in your half of the map instead. I'm not sure I really like either version, though, because they seem to privilege certain characters above others too much (i.e. why wouldn't you always have Tracers carry the flag).

aye. Stuff like that is really tough to balance in a class based game.
The current heroes are entirely based upon static / slow moving objectives.

Torbjorn isn't terrible if it's a payload map on attack. Just set up your turret on the payload and try and protect it while it moves thru the map. If you're attacking on a pure attack/defend map (Hanamura, Anubis, Volskaya) you're actively impeding your team's ability to win.

couldn't you also use the floating platforms on volskaya as an attacking Torbjorn? if you time it well, like having your Reinhard moving in 5 seconds before the turret's visible, you could wreck some serious shit.
But that's a cheesy and in no way sustainable strategy...

Xater

An uncontested widowmaker is going to cause massive problems for a team, whether it's on offence of defence. You need another widowmaker to contest her or someone like reaper to pressure her, or both.

I'm disappointed they added a traditional sniper like her to the game though, wasn't Hanzo enough? Now we have two sniper classes and we all know people love picking their snipers. Also her ultimate is bullshit, never a fan of stuff like that in a game. They also need to make it obvious when she uses it like how UAV is announced in CoD.

That I can agree with. Her audio cue is too easy to miss.

I do expect a lot of widow nerfs, the game in premades has just become so widow focused.

Rad-

Widowmaker gets a bad rep because there are a lot of bad Widowmakers, at least on PS4. Hence I usually sigh when someone picks Widowmaker on offense. I haven't seen even one good Widowmaker player on PS4.

Not even close. The best way is situational but Bastion has many really difficult counters and can be made irrelevant by so many choices that going out of your way to pick Widowmaker specifically to counter him is making him far more powerful than he should be. How to counter turrets depends a lot on the player but snipers can't DPS fast enough to really paralyze a Torb that's babysitting and doesn't have the versatility to consistently shut him down while doing other things.

It accomplishes nothing to almost paralyze one player as one player as that's a less than even trade.
Er are you playing a different game to everyone else

ScribbleD

Has the matchmaking and auto-balance gone haywire lately? Really feels like it. Or maybe I just got stuck on 8 terrible teams with no auto-balance in a row to balance out my win rate.

As a side note, as a pure tank I feel like Reinhardt is probably the best, but in terms of pure fun and ass kicking: Zarya > Winston > Roadhog > Rein. I like them all, though.

I dunno if I would go so far as to report someone for doing it because I don't care that much in pubs, but I honestly see pretty much no viable way to play Torbjorn effectively attacking on Hanamura or Volyska. I would like to know how one would...

SDCowboy

This is going to be a long three months of grouping, with school out now, isn't it? Was just in a group (if you could call it that) where nobody stuck together, nobody pushed, and perfect sybolization of our team was the Reaper that used his super around a confined corner against one guy instead of the entire enemy team standing in the open on the point. lol

Reinhardt is one of my favorites to play as. Went 13 and 3 today. I just love smashing people into walls, it's probably the most satisfying thing to do in this game for me. Also main Hanzo, I can have some really great games with him but if not I'll switch characters.

Thanks to you guys that replied to my last post: although my experience won't be as stellar as many others I did decide to finally double dip and buy the game on PC. I wanted to support Blizzard some more (I'd rather this than spend money on Loot Crates lol) and I'll play around with the settings when I get home after work but so far so good with how it runs with my specs!

Don;t know why anyone would want to spend much time playing as the most generic character in the game anyway

I've played as him just once and did very very well. 4 Golds. I also felt the draw. He is so completely straightforward to play. Most everyone has trained years for him without realizing it, so I can see why someone would pick him, especially if you're not in the mood to deal with playing a key role in a match.

However he doesn't have any of the super satisfying moments that you get with most other heros. You feel like you are just playing a shooter, kills come from shooting. His ult is powerful enough but you don't feel any kind of satisfaction from it. When I play Roadhog, every time I snatch a Mercy, Lucio, Tracer, Widowmaker, Bastion, etc with my hook and send them back to their spawn, it feels more exciting than the entire Soldier 76 match.

SDCowboy

Wow, we won a match, on defense, with no tanks. Of course it was against a double widow team so it wasn't as impressive, but still. :p

So my Genji is becoming pretty mean, I can go 10 or 15 eliminations before I get killed, I target medics, widows and non tank classes but don't use my ult that much. Enemy team has a derpy Genji constantly dying but he killed 3 people with his ult once, he gets POTG wut?!

Dr. Buni

Just lost a match where I had most kills, objective kills, objective time, healing done and damage done as Roadhog. It was like my team wasn't even trying (maybe they weren't) :/

Also yay new legendary!
eB4Rh3c.jpg

Hasney

Playing TF2 earlier as I'm just so desperate for a custom game browser. The game would be so much better with it instead of this quick play bollocks being the only thing.

DrArchon

Just had the biggest WTF moment in a while, even though I should've expected it.

Was on Ilios: Well and was hooking people into the center hole as Roadhog ('cause that's what you do there). Hooked DVa in her mech and watched her go down. But then, she boosts out turns around and bumps me into the hole! Unbelievable! Plus she got PotG for it, which made it sting even more.

It was funny to watch our team's Mercy fly in after me by accident though.

kagamin

Just had the biggest WTF moment in a while, even though I should've expected it.

Was on Ilios: Well and was hooking people into the center hole as Roadhog ('cause that's what you do there). Hooked DVa in her mech and watched her go down. But then, she boosts out turns around and bumps me into the hole! Unbelievable! Plus she got PotG for it, which made it sting even more.

I love doing that, no one seems to expect me to have boost when they knock me in, and I've also made it out of the big hole in Nepal: Sanctum as Lúcio by wall riding, that was also amazing.

Dr. Buni

I saw a Roadhog hook another Roadhog which in turn hooked the first Roadhog back and both fell down in the Ilios well. It was quite a sight to behold. That reminds me, I brain farted as D.Va on that very spot and felt down to my death after ulting. Then Mercy revived me inside the well... and I died again. The funny part was watching Mercy slowly fall down in the hole after me.

https://imgur.com/v1jERNX

tw1164

The OW community seems to be "nicer" then other fps communities. Someone teabagging me for the first time last night. You'll never guess what class it was.
It was a reaper of course.
We won the game w/o them getting the first checkpoint. I msg'd him/her after the game to say gg. They replied "I sucked my dad's dick". I don't know if they were bragging, or reaching out of help.

GAF groups are the best, even when the team is getting steamrolled everyone has a fun attitude about it.

Dr. Buni

The OW community seems to be "nicer" then other fps communities. Someone teabagging me for the first time last night. You'll never guess what class it was.
It was a reaper of course.
We won the game w/o them getting the first checkpoint. I msg'd him/her after the game to say gg. They replied "I sucked my dad's dick". I don't know if they were bragging, or reaching out of help.

GAF groups are the best, even when the team is getting steamrolled everyone has a fun attitude about it.
Every other match there is an idiot posting "gg izi" so I am not sure if the community is all that good. Still better than the Dota 2 community, at least :D
Thanks! I enjoy playing Torbjorn so that skin pleases me.

You get those games where three people pick flanking duelists and then do absolutely fucking nothing with them. They just sit on the front line and die because they're duelists, have no HP and can't handle being focused in a front on a teamfight.

There's nothing more annoying than having three flankers and an enemy Widowmaker allowed to do whatever she wants.

DrArchon

Bout this damn close to buying boxes for the Raptorion skin.

Purchased boxes are such a scam. It's still super unlikely that you'll get enough gold to get that specific skin (not to mention having it drop). Just keep playing and waiting and saving your gold.

Sou Da

I didn't expect to swap the Security Chief skin but after getting the Raptorion one, I couldn't resist.

So good.

Just one big legendary circlejerk going on there huh?

But yeah I love that skin, I like the colors a lot more than Mechaqueen too. The mechaqueen rockets look like nerf darts.

Purchased boxes are such a scam. It's still super unlikely that you'll get enough gold to get that specific skin (not to mention having it drop). Just keep playing and waiting and saving your gold.

I will but man do they need to implement some system to earn gold outside of boxes.

So GAF, after much pressure from some friends I have decided to give in and get Overwatch later today.

I am a bit scared, given that I am not too good in competitive games. Also, kind of scared that the community might me too rough on me for being a newb.

Any help or suggestion would be highly appreciated.

P.S. Getting it for Pc. Also, enjoy more being a supporter than attacker

Wow, we won a match, on defense, with no tanks. Of course it was against a double widow team so it wasn't as impressive, but still. :p

?

We usually win on defense maps without tanks (when playing with pugs, of course). Tanks are more necessary when attacking, I'd say. The only tank I ever go when defending is Roadhog. Torbjörn, Symmetra, Bastion or an offense unit usually work really well when defending. Renhardt is amazing though when it comes to attacking the payload, and Winston is boss at capturing territories.

Maffis

I play torbjörn on offense sometimes. People underestimate his armorpacks and his gun.torbjörn can 2 shot most heroes in the game and his ult is good even without his turret. People forget that he can set up lvl 1 turrets really fast and they are great at disrupting flankers. If you have a reinhardt just set the turret close to his shield and move it up when the tank does. Turrets are expendable.

Dr. Buni

Just one big legendary circlejerk going on there huh?

But yeah I love that skin, I like the colors a lot more than Mechaqueen too. The mechaqueen rockets look like nerf darts.
Sorry, I didn't mean to brag. Also, as much as I like the two skins I posted, I had to spend 1000g on the Symmetra skin I wanted, plus I am yet to get Abominable Mei, Woodbot Bastion, Hayseed Junkrat and Devil Mercy.

Sou Da

Sorry didn't mean to brag. Also, as much as I like the two skins I posted, I had to spend 1000g on the Symmetra skin I wanted, plus I am yet to get Abominable Mei, Woodbot Bastion, Hayseed Junkrat and Devil Mercy.

Luckily although Symmetra is my favorite character I don't like any of her skins save the emerald dress one.

DrArchon

So GAF, after much pressure from some friends I have decided to give in and get Overwatch later today.

I am a bit scared, given that I am not too good in competitive games. Also, kind of scared that the community might me too rough on me for being a newb.

Lucio and Mercy are the go-to support characters. Lucio heals by being in the general area, and Mercy latches on like the TF2 Medic for faster direct healing and occasional damage boosting. Symmetra and Zenyatta are the other two supports, but they're more complicated and limited, with Zenyatta being really easy to kill and Symmetra being garbage on offense.

pompidu

Love when people pick mercy then sit and heal hanzo all game..... when they are taking no damage.... Cannot wait for competitive mode so I can get away from scrubs.

Came home to discover my sister playing overwatch with both the mouse and 360 controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoaX5HKWzeA

I've wondered sometimes why more people don't do this. There are some PC games that don't like it when you use mouse and controller at the same time (and those games should feel bad) but this makes a lot of sense for people that don't like the feel of keyboard movement.

I'm making a mental note of that trick.

There's a similar video for D.va and it's SO GOOD. On the flipside, I almost did this by mistake as Pharah because I sort of missed the landing and fell through. After a second of OH FUCK WHAT DID I DO I tried to boost jump out, only to hit the underside of the floor and fall to my death.

wamberz1

Despite your last sentence, I would recommend starting with soldier 76. He's designed to help people get into the game.
If you really really want to play support, I would start with mercy. Her game plan is pretty straight forward: fly to person, heal, damage boost where necessary.

Sou Da

Don't be afraid to use the training arena, to test out mechanics.

Main supporters are Lucio: Constant AOE heals, can switch out to aoe haste, ultimate is a large temporary health buff

Mercy: Strong direct heal beam, can switch to a damage buff beam, ultimate is an aoe revive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom