• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone had this happen?

* Leave game
* Open loot box
* As pieces are spinning, game announces you've connected to a game and switches (!?)
* Leave that game
* No "new" tags on heroes screen :(

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also haven't used it that way yet but I feel like D.Va ult could have pretty good use for predicting the other team's heroes never die.

Super situational of course, and you can do it with other ults too.

Yes, and the defenders spawn point is way too close.

It's close, but defenders are forced to contest with whatever numbers are available at a given moment. They don't get the luxury of countering a full-team push with one of their own.

That final moment can be difficult on attack, but it's supposed to be. I don't think the two sides necessarily have to have an equal chance of winning. That's why both teams get a chance on each side.

Dr. Buni

I find Zenyatta to be pretty difficult to play as. I feel like he'd shine with a coordinated bunch but with randoms it's hard. Much easier to be a straight healer as you can focus on a single player at a time.
I agree. Wish I could play him well, but alas...
Just saw a perfect defense matrix on Dorado using 5 turrets
I love to shit on Roadhog's ultimate with defense matrix. Also Reaper's.
Yes, and the defenders spawn point is way too close. Even just a few meters away would make it a bit more balanced, because fighting over one meter is surely tense, but it feels so artificial and "wrong", at least to me.
I think it is fair. Offense has the advantage early match and then they lose their advantage once they are close to the goal.

I love to shit on Roadhog's ultimate with defense matrix. Also Reaper's.

I basically blocked the full duration of Pharah's ult using it. She was low to the ground and I was right next to her.

D.Va, man. She's got some incredible utility once you get the hang of her.

SDCowboy

Apparently it's a thing Blizzard likes to do with their online games, to make sure everyone's W/L percentage hovers around 50%.

Is that why I seem to go on win and loss streaks of relatively equal amounts? Like it seems I'm either on a steamroll team, or get steamrolled. lol

Gorillaz

I was wondering about the matchmaking but hopefully the talk in here isn't true about it being a "equalizer" and putting you against stacked teams on purpose to throw off your W/L.

like...come on man that shit is beyond dumb

Dr. Buni

I basically blocked the full duration of Pharah's ult using it. She was low to the ground and I was right next to her.

D.Va, man. She's got some incredible utility once you get the hang of her.
I think I saw a webm on reddit with a situation similar to the one you described, but D.Va boosted towards Pharah (who was hovering in the skies) with defense matrix on. Lovely.

She does, yeah. I really wanted to hate the character but I actually love play as her.
Apparently it's a thing Blizzard likes to do with their online games, to make sure everyone's W/L percentage hovers around 50%.
If it means anything that is how they balance Heroes of the Storm. A hero needs to have a 50% win rate to be balanced.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Despite "maining" 2 low tier characters (D.VA and symmetra), I find that I tend to win with them the most. D.VA at around 60% and Sym at about 72%.

Sometimes you just gotta play with the characters you know. I tend to switch depending on the situation but I do that for every character anyway.

Alex

They don't do this, it's just used as an excuse by the community when they think they're better than they are.

See it a ton in HotS, blaming the MM for holding them back while the legit greats routinely steamroll to top end MMR.

There are times I'm kind of excited to get to use the pistol. If I had a nickel for every time somebody has killed my mech just to be shredded with my sidearm.

No better time for the "winky face" voice line.

I find her mech damage output to be inconsistent at times. Sometimes I feel like it shreds, then other times I swear I'm healing people. The damage fall off is a little aggressive

http://i.imgur.com/ZQ2ZzkB.gifv

I feel like I should have taken off a bit more health at that distance.

I was wondering about the matchmaking but hopefully the talk in here isn't true about it being a "equalizer" and putting you against stacked teams on purpose to throw off your W/L.

like...come on man that shit is beyond dumb

I haven't won a match in forever. I mean my teams have been getting dominated.

They don't do this, it's just used as an excuse by the community when they think they're better than they are.

See it a ton in HotS, blaming the MM for holding them back while the legit greats routinely steamroll to top end MMR.

If matchmaking is working you should hit around 1.0K/D and 50% W/L in most games.

EDIT: The K/D thing might not always pan out on a per person level, but that class of character should average around 1.0 K/D. I know it's a target Bungie tries to hit with each class and subclass

Despite "maining" 2 low tier characters (D.VA and symmetra), I find that I tend to win with them the most. D.VA at around 60% and Sym at about 72%.

Sometimes you just gotta play with the characters you know. I tend to switch depending on the situation but I do that for every character anyway.

I don't think tiers have much relevance to public games anyway.

abundant

If it is not true, then why does the game kick my group out to the main menu and searches for a new group to play against every time we're on a winning/losing streak?

1b41anc.png

Well, I can't complain, I guess.

CoLaN

I think it is fair. Offense has the advantage early match and then they lose their advantage once they are close to the goal.

Losing the advantage as they are close to the goal is perfectly fine, i just feel the defenders spawn point is just a tiny bit too close. Even 3-4 meters would make a difference.

I find it weird that there is so much focus around the last meter

Dr. Buni

Losing the advantage as they are close to the goal is perfectly fine, i just feel the defenders spawn point is just a tiny bit too close. Even 3-4 meters would make a difference.

I find it weird that everything ends up revolving around the last meter
Well, it was the same way in Splatoon, so I guess I am used to it.

I am with you, I think being decent with most if not all heroes is a great thing, but it is important to play heroes that cater to your strengths. I don't think I will ever be a great Genji or Tracer, for example...

Son Of D

The other one was me as Lucio being cocky and thinking my ultimate would save me so I didn't have to get off the point. I was incorrect.

Same thing happened to me. Thought my ult would keep me alive. Nope. On the plus side my team mates tanked it and I got the Supersonic trophy so I wasn't complaining.

ksan

That's not how it works. The 50% win rate is a consequence of you getting matched up with teams and against players that are at your estimated skill level, not forced through putting you on winning and losing teams.

Is that why I seem to go on win and loss streaks of relatively equal amounts? Like it seems I'm either on a steamroll team, or get steamrolled. lol

It's probably due to day to day (and game to game) variance in performance and high uncertainty in estimated skill for new players.

XenoRaven

I hate when people say this. Makes me feel like people think I'm an idiot.

I've been playing multiplayer games for over a decade and until I started playing Smite last year, I have never ever had this complaint. I felt like matchmaking put me in games where my teammates and opponents were of similar skill.

When I started playing Smite, I noticed I could carry my ass off and no matter how good I did we still lost. I go on ridiculous 6-7 game losing streaks sometimes, and often I get top damage and rarely have a negative KDA.

Lo and behold, there's a website that calculates Smite MMR so you can see your teammates scores! And instead of matching people with the same MMR, I've seen differences in scores to the point where I'm at 2,300 and I have teammates at 1,200.

I can't do the same thing in Overwatch but I get the same feeling I do in Smite. Crazy losing streaks even when I leave a team I know can't win. Lose games handily even when I get multiple gold medals, etc.

I don't mind losing. I can lose gracefully. But I want consistently competitive matches. I don't want to get steamrolled 4 games in a row and have someone tell me I'm just making excuses. I know the difference between good teammates and bad teammates. I know the difference between playing bad and just being outplayed.

So what's the consensus on tiers, and the perfect teams for offense and defense?

1 Reinhardt, 2 McCree, 1 Lucio, 1 Mercy and 1 Widow/Genji/Tracer/Winston the perfect balance of versatility.

This is based on Groups that actually work together, communicate and execute.

Otherwise you just have people in this thread spouting off how they have a certain win% with a character in pub games and assume thats the end all be all. I have a 100% win rate with 76 that absolutely means nothing as I typically play Mercy or Reinhardt.

XenoRaven

That's not how it works. The 50% win rate is a consequence of you getting matched up with teams and against players that are at your estimated skill level, not forced through putting you on winning and losing teams.

It's probably due to day to day (and game to game) variance in performance and high uncertainty in estimated skill for new players.
Some games put low MMR players on your team and force you to carry.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Holy shit have I really only won 4 out of 29 games as Reinhardt? Fuck that's embarrassing.

ksan

Some games put low MMR players on your team and force you to carry.

But usually that is due to too few players playing or that you have too high mmr for finding games otherwise (or simply bad matchmaking). I highly doubt it's a problem in this game at all.

1 Reinhardt, 2 McCree, 1 Lucio, 1 Mercy and 1 Widow/Genji/Tracer/Winston the perfect balance of versatility.

This is based on Groups that actually work together, communicate and execute.

Otherwise you just have people in this thread spouting off how they have a certain win% with a character in pub games and assume thats the end all be all. I have a 100% win rate with 76 that absolutely means nothing as I typically play Mercy or Reinhardt.
I have a 5.0 E/D with Torbjorn. Clearly you need to go back to the drawing board with this comp.

Holy crap Mcree is a beast. Decided to finally start using him last night. Ended up using him for like 7 or 8 games in a row cause he just shuts down everything.

Now I can understand the calls for nerfs to him.

Haines

Banned
Can anybody reccomend good written or video guides.

I'm level 40 so I know the game but I'd like to learn the details I don't know yet or missed.

The game holds a lot of info back.

DarkestHour

Banned
God tier: mccree and widow

Everyone else tier

Trash tier: dva

Just turned around a losing match by switching to Dva and playing her properly. Not sure why people keep downing her. She is excellent for an elusive tank and then incredibly mobile outside of her robot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom