• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I'm not sure if it's the weekend crowd or if matchmaking is trying to level out my winrates but when I have to go pistoling on Mercy because my soldier and Mccree can't hit their targets something is terribly wrong.

Gorillaz

I hate when people say this. Makes me feel like people think I'm an idiot.

I've been playing multiplayer games for over a decade and until I started playing Smite last year, I have never ever had this complaint. I felt like matchmaking put me in games where my teammates and opponents were of similar skill.

When I started playing Smite, I noticed I could carry my ass off and no matter how good I did we still lost. I go on ridiculous 6-7 game losing streaks sometimes, and often I get top damage and rarely have a negative KDA.

Lo and behold, there's a website that calculates Smite MMR so you can see your teammates scores! And instead of matching people with the same MMR, I've seen differences in scores to the point where I'm at 2,300 and I have teammates at 1,200.

I can't do the same thing in Overwatch but I get the same feeling I do in Smite. Crazy losing streaks even when I leave a team I know can't win. Lose games handily even when I get multiple gold medals, etc.

I don't mind losing. I can lose gracefully. But I want consistently competitive matches. I don't want to get steamrolled 4 games in a row and have someone tell me I'm just making excuses. I know the difference between good teammates and bad teammates. I know the difference between playing bad and just being outplayed.

I've heard this for awhile and yes there is some merit in being outclassed more so then being just bad, there are times when you know your team is just shit and aren't even trying. I do admit their are times I'm just straight up outplayed despite having a counter for a hero

but if the game purposely puts you with shit teammates because you were on like a 5 game win streak I'm not going to just wave that off. Your basically being punished for having a win streak.

I have a 5.0 E/D with Torbjorn. Clearly you need to go back to the drawing board with this comp.

Torbjorn never sees play in Pro tournaments, so what the hell was your point?

He was asking for a consensus on tiers and theres already more than enough data to show that. But then again ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE TRUMPS ALL, I never lose with *insert character here* my personal K/D with etc etc.

There's no point in discussing balance with casuals.

Torbjorn never sees play in Pro tournaments, so what the hell was your point?

He was asking for a consensus on tiers and theres already more than enough data to show that. But then again ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE TRUMPS ALL, I never lose with *insert character here* my personal K/D with etc etc.

There's no point in discussing balance with casuals.
I was joking. There's no point in joking with you, apparently.

Why didn't anyone tell me this game was amazing

played for the first time yesterday, already got like 5 play of the games!

I loooooove Zenyatta fyi

I find her mech damage output to be inconsistent at times. Sometimes I feel like it shreds, then other times I swear I'm healing people. The damage fall off is a little aggressive

http://i.imgur.com/ZQ2ZzkB.gifv

I feel like I should have taken off a bit more health at that distance.

I mean, Zarya's got more health than most of the people you should be going after as D.Va. In that gif it looks like she lost most of her shields, about 150 HP. The fall off is aggressive, but when you ambush a squishy they'll be just about dead by the time they get out of your effective range. I'll go after a Roadhog or a Reinhardt if they're hurt a bit and I can get behind them. I run the fuck away from a fairly healthy Zarya because she can 1v1 a D.Va at any range.

Xater

Man I just had the worst team. Payload attack and we had Hanzo and Widow on the team. I actually go Mercy to somehow try and save this, but then I am the only one going for the Payload. Never had a game this bad before. At some point I just gave up and played Soldier so I could at least heal myself. Widow screaming for a healer could go fuck herself.

abundant

It's been said before, but people need to stop with this tiers nonsense. Tiers only matter on the Pro Level, which does not apply to most of the matches going on in Overwatch.

I was wondering about the matchmaking but hopefully the talk in here isn't true about it being a "equalizer" and putting you against stacked teams on purpose to throw off your W/L.

like...come on man that shit is beyond dumb
Part of the matchmaking problem seems like it comes with parties.

When I play with a group, we just get bodied by really good groups sometimes and it makes me wonder what the party matching algorithm is. Of course the algorithm can't take into account things like differences in communication and such as well.

Grief.exe

Just turned around a losing match by switching to Dva and playing her properly. Not sure why people keep downing her. She is excellent for an elusive tank and then incredibly mobile outside of her robot.

She's mainly useless at higher skill levels on PC, she's just a non-factor.

jotun?

Playing Winston has been a ton of fun ever since the realization that he doesn't belong in the Tank category

I love the sounds that Mercy makes while being electrocuted

aeolist

Banned
I've heard this for awhile and yes there is some merit in being outclassed more so then being just bad, there are times when you know your team is just shit and aren't even trying. I do admit their are times I'm just straight up outplayed despite having a counter for a hero

but if the game purposely puts you with shit teammates because you were on like a 5 game win streak I'm not going to just wave that off. Your basically being punished for having a win streak.

if the game is putting you on a shitty team then most likely there's a person at your skill on the other side with shitty teammates too, that's how mmr matchmaking works. sometimes shitty teams come together and steamroll through hero matchups or momentum or pure chance.

SDCowboy

I was just in a group that started as an almost all Genji group, with one guy seemingly attempting to rollplay. Needless to say we got crushed. lol

FFMafia

How's the performance like on Xbox 1 and ps4? Trying to decide which one to buy it for. Controller makes a difference? Don't really have friends that play this kind of game.

How's the performance like on Xbox 1 and ps4? Trying to decide which one to buy it for. Controller makes a difference? Don't really have friends that play this kind of game.

Ps4 was fine when i played for a good 2 or so hours last night with some friends. didn't have any issues (outside of getting used to controller) also can't compare to xb1 only pc.

I mean, Zarya's got more health than most of the people you should be going after as D.Va. In that gif it looks like she lost most of her shields, about 150 HP. The fall off is aggressive, but when you ambush a squishy they'll be just about dead by the time they get out of your effective range. I'll go after a Roadhog or a Reinhardt if they're hurt a bit and I can get behind them. I run the fuck away from a fairly healthy Zarya because she can 1v1 a D.Va at any range.

You're right. I'm going to give her some more time. The ability to block damage, fly and blow shit up are all great. And she can be a monster outside of the mech. Her blaster is similar to Mercy's but higher fire rate and faster projectiles.

D.Va just gets trashed so quickly. And her ultimate is near-useless at this point, except to zone an area. She has some utility as a ganker, but other heroes do that better.

She's mainly useless at higher skill levels on PC, she's just a non-factor.

I'm level 62 with a positive win ratio and I find D.Va incredibly useful in the right circumstances. She's one of the most situational heroes in the game, but also one of the most versatile (within those situations).

Just because there are bad D.Va players doesn't mean she's a bad hero. And just because she's low tier on a pro level doesn't mean she's useless in quick play, even among skilled teams.

Ps4 was fine when i played for a good 2 or so hours last night with some friends. didn't have any issues (outside of getting used to controller) also can't compare to xb1 only pc.

Coming from Destiny I find weapon handling to be awkward as hell most of the time but the game runs perfectly on Xbox. I'm only just starting to warm up to Widowmaker's scoped shots after an hour against AI. Hitting actual players is a whole new ballgame.

Honestly the bigger issue on consoles is you can't leave a game with the group, only as individuals which makes leaving and grouping up again a bit tedious.

I apologize then. The mindset most players in here have, have been quite troublesome.

Good grief. Everyone is aware that at a very high level of play there is optimal compositions and certain characters are just not practical but for fuck sake virtually none of us are playing at that high a level and we are mostly playing with random players. What works well with not-so-well-coordinated teams is not going to exactly what works well when high level, well coordinated teams. People are going to talk about their success with characters that have not been deemed tier 1 for pro tournaments. You're really going to have to accept that.

Just turned around a losing match by switching to Dva and playing her properly. Not sure why people keep downing her. She is excellent for an elusive tank and then incredibly mobile outside of her robot.

The main issue with D.Va is that she's tissue paper disguised as a tank as she's a gigantic walking critical hibox. Winston does what she wants to do, which is being an aggressive fight starting tank that ganks squishies, but generally better because he can actually live through stuff. D.Va's ult is also pretty weak now that people know you can LoS it behind practically anything, I prefer Winston's Ult as a point clearing move.

D.Va main strength over Winston is higher single target DPS, but Winston does better AoE DPS and is one of the only sources of real AoE DPS in the game. This pushes Winston over the top, especially on KOTH maps where full on team fights are commonplace. I've started to appreciate Winston more on other map types as well from defense as well, he can still wreck shit on the smaller team fights.

aeolist

Banned
The main issue with D.Va is that she's tissue paper disguised as a tank as she's a gigantic walking critical hibox. Winston does what she wants to do, which is being an aggressive fight starting tank that ganks squishies, but generally better because he can actually live through stuff. D.Va's ult is also pretty weak now that people know you can LoS it behind practically anything, I prefer Winston's Ult as a point clearing move.

D.Va main strength over Winston is higher single target DPS, but Winston does better AoE DPS and is one of the only sources of real AoE DPS in the game. This pushes Winston over the top, especially on KOTH maps where full on team fights are commonplace. I've started to appreciate Winston more on other map types as well from defense as well, he can still wreck shit on the smaller team fights.

yeah winston is definitely the better flanking tank. jumping on the back lines out of nowhere while your team engages from the front is just beautiful chaos, especially if you have ult.

Twinston is the best, if you have two good Winston players who can coordinate their jumps. It's just a shame McCree is such a hard counter right now.

aeolist

Banned
ironically though winston is one of dva's few good matchups. he can't exploit her enormous headshot hitbox and she does better dps in his range. also the tesla cannon is bad against armor and she has a ton.

DrArchon

D.Va just gets trashed so quickly. And her ultimate is near-useless at this point, except to zone an area. She has some utility as a ganker, but other heroes do that better.

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think. It's really tough to get kills with her ult now that everyone knows how to deal with it, so it just gets everyone away from the objective. But there are so many ults that do that and do it better, not to mention how many other ults charge up much faster than hers.

I get the impression that Blizzard is unsure as to what they want DVa to be. She's not durable enough to be a tank outside of her defense matrix which has a lengthy cooldown, and she's not as good of a flanker as someone like Reaper or Tracer thanks to her guns making her move at a crawl. She seems like a weird hybrid.

I wouldn't say no to a decrease in D.Va's headshot size, but it's not like you actually kill D.Va when you destroy her mech. You just give her a temporary increase in ranged DPS and any competent player will have that mech back in tens of seconds. The mech is not D.Va. It's an expendable tool within her arsenal.

Zaventem

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think. It's really tough to get kills with her ult now that everyone knows how to deal with it, so it just gets everyone away from the objective. But there are so many ults that do that and do it better, not to mention how many other ults charge up much faster than hers.

I get the impression that Blizzard is unsure as to what they want DVa to be. She's not durable enough to be a tank outside of her defense matrix which has a lengthy cooldown, and she's not as good of a flanker as someone like Reaper or Tracer thanks to her guns making her move at a crawl. She seems like a weird hybrid.

Her crippling movement speed when shooting is the worst offender to me.

Anyone already found some secrets on the maps? I am quite sure that e.g. something would happen if you play a certain melody on that Mexican map in the right order. Blizzard games are usually full of such things.

Pooya

Since I changed my reticles to dot, I'm doing considerably better, this should be the default. dot, no bloom, green color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom