• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope the matchmaking becomes less aggressive to force everyone to 50% win rate later (probably when ranked comes out). I get the idea that you want everyone to have an even amount of wins, but the longer the game is out the bigger the skill gap, which means the more aggressive the matchmaking to force even win rate across everyone. I'm getting into more and more completely stacked games where a team just steamrolls the other, which becomes boring even when you're in the winning team.
That's not really how MMR works in most games. With a large enough sample size you're, ideally, looking to matchup people at similar MMR and therefore, create a smaller skill gap. It's not the case that the matchmaking algorithm tries to put 3 5000s with 3 1000s to evenly match a team of 6 3000s. That's a misunderstanding of what it does to get that 50% expected winrate. Rather, the game tries to find 12 people who are 3000, +/- maybe 200-400 depending on how loose the algorithm is.

The only time what you're describing happens, the matchmaking literally trying to sink a player's MMR with anchors, is at the extremes of matchmaking where there are people far above or below the median that there is literally no one else for the game to have them play against.

There are probably other reasons you're running into stomps but unless Blizzard completely fucked up their algorithm, the matchmaking isn't solely to blame.

Gorillaz

and you know they cant hit a headshot to save their damn life

Widow is an autosniper not a bolt action. Body shotting will still make you MVP.
that spot could be used for like ANYTHING more helpful

ran into maybe 5 widows that were at least decent since launch it's already bad enough people don't go for the objective

but to not go for the objective and still shoot like ass? what's the point? this is the same problem I had with people rushing to always pick the same genji/mcree/reaper/bastion group. Some of those people aren't that good at shooting to begin with.

Tawpgun

that spot could be used for like ANYTHING more helpful

ran into maybe 5 widows that were at least decent since launch it's already bad enough people don't go for the objective

but to not go for the objective and still shoot like ass? what's the point?
Pls understand, battlefield snipers are waiting on some new dlc and battlefield 1

Valahart

What's the general consensus on Mei around here?

I found her to be the one I've had the most fun with so far. But I've noticed she's quite situational. Being very useful on Defense missions on certain stages, and straight up garbage on others.

R0ckman

Overwatch's habit of trying to correct your win percentage by dumping you into heavily lopsided matches is starting to get really fucking frustrating. Facing a team that focuses on you as the lone support is one thing; being unable to heal people because everyone on YOUR team constantly dies before you can even return from spawn is even worse. If you are a Roadhog and you can't even stay alive for two seconds after seeing the enemy, you should reconsider your life choices.

It's so bad, especially when get reall good matches, when you get the ocassional match where your team works together and chains supers etc.

Holy shit have I really only won 4 out of 29 games as Reinhardt? Fuck that's embarrassing.

I feel when I play as Reinhardt the team around me never comes together. I lost a game the other night where I deflected 20,000 damage. 20,000!!! That's 20,000 damage not going to my teammates, where are they....oh yea sniping or on some wild goose chase for someone far away from the objective. Great.

So yea, my win rate with him is terrible as well.

Haly

The game's not trying to correct your win percentage. It's because people tend to ragequit lost games and the game will try to make up for it by subbing in someone new.

No one quits while they're on the winning side.

I think the game should have a grace period for these subs so a loss from them doesn't impact winrate (and therefore MMR) but it's not like some conspiracy of the The Man keeping us down.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I found her to be the one I've had the most fun with so far. But I've noticed she's quite situational. Being very useful on Defense missions on certain stages, and straight up garbage on others.

She's a great character that everyone loves.

You should try her in attack the payload maps. She's surprising good in that. Freeze anyone trying to approach the payload and set up ice walls to block turrets.

Put up ice wall to block your team from leaving the door

XenoRaven

The most annoying character in the game. If I am playing against you I probably won't have fun.

That's not really how MMR works in most games. With a large enough sample size you're, ideally, looking to matchup people at similar MMR and therefore, create a smaller skill gap. It's not the case that the matchmaking algorithm tries to put 3 5000s with 3 1000s to evenly match a team of 6 3000s. That's a misunderstanding of what it does to get that 50% expected winrate. Rather, the game tries to find 12 people who are 3000, +/- maybe 200-400 depending on how loose the algorithm is.

The only time what you're describing happens, the matchmaking literally trying to sink a player's MMR with anchors, is at the extremes of matchmaking where there are people far above or below the median that there is literally no one else for the game to have them play against.

There are probably other reasons you're running into stomps but unless Blizzard completely fucked up their algorithm, the matchmaking isn't solely to blame.

Not solely to blame of course, since Blizzard can't control what happens to a game once it starts. But a game they "set up" has one or two decent players sprinkled into a team of very poor players, with the other team being the opposite.

mstevens

Man, I really wish they would get this map rotation figured out. 4 games out of 164 in Lijiang is ridiculous.

Any teams rolling on ps4 right now? Would like to join up: mcstevens88

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, if there's a good widow I'll take it over most other heroes. I've seen good widows work. They can nearly shut down a team by themselves.

Haly

nobody ever says "oh man I wish I had a widowmaker on the team" or yell on the mic "somebody switch to widow"

I do. Especially when I'm getting exploded by a good Pharah.

The problem is any Widowmaker worth their salt would already switch to Widowmaker so I can only despair over not having sniper coverage on my team.

nobody ever says "oh man I wish I had a widowmaker on the team" or yell on the mic "somebody switch to widow"

This is because people don't understand how very dangerous a good Widowmaker is, even on offense. She's standard in competitive on offense outside of KOTH, since in KOTH the maps tend to be very cramped and difficult to get good sniping spots from.

Widowmaker is a primary reason why Bastion and Torb are gutter tier in competitive play, you aren't building turrets when she's around. Her Ult is also one of the best in the game, wallhack for your entire team without any of the range limitation's Hanzo's wallhack arrow has, it also builds super fast.

Yeah, Day 1 my buddies would go "Really? Offensive Widowmaker?" A week or so later and we normally run an offensive sniper now, just because of how valuable it is for helping you break into points. Snipe one or two people and all of a sudden your team can take an advantageous team fight for a point.

Hell, I just got out of a game that where upon seeing two Bastions on the first point defending Volskaya, I went Offensive Widow and basically handed my team the first point by killing both Bastion's.

1 legendary skin in the 33 loot boxes I earned.

3 legendary skins in the 5 that I bought.

hmmm

34 free boxes, 4 legendary skins so far , I must be on blizz payroll.

I actually do, specially on Hanamura, those bastians and trollborns on objective B can be quite the nuisance.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Soundquake and Fusionator when Blizzard?

even if those sound like Transformers names

Mupod

I had the worst shitty Widowmaker on my team last night. I mean I'm used to having one that does nothing but this guy was that AND was actually spamming the chat about how Mercy was not personally healbotting him. I was Mercy, and not only WAS I healing him, but here's a tip - if you're firing and missing constantly, MERCY KNOWS. You get the hit indicator sound if they do damage. This guy wasn't doing SHIT. I mean for god's sake they had a Pharah on my ass so hard I had to pistol her to death 3 times that match. I rarely play Widow but even I can easily deal with a lone Pharah.

To say nothing of the Hanzo and Torb they had, who went unchallenged. How bad do you have to be to miss a turret?

Anyways, the cherry on top was him flipping his shit in chat at round end complete with your usual 13 year old Twitch chat user slurs and memes. Other team called him out on his badness/saltyness and he says he has <1 hour on the character as an excuse. OK.

Sorral

DVa is so good against turrets. They seem like such a non factor when I play against them with her
Yeah, but it is probably because I started using heroes that aren't that amazing against turrets and the randoms don't take them out that quickly sadly. There are some really persistent Torbs out there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom