• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Playing Mercy almost never pays off :(
I see this too. You'd think healing %40 of the damage done to a team would lead to a win (that's a real stat from my match), but when I did that today, my team was fucking destroyed. And the opposing team had no healers. Mind blowing, but a lesson learned I suppose. Just trying to figure out what else I could've done (I had 4 eliminations but maybe should've focused less on healing).

Zaventem

I think I'll stop playing until competitive releases. Nobody picking a tank to make pushes in Hanamura to try to take even the first objective after having to heal and revive your ass countless times get me infuriated. You think your paper hp tracer is going to take out a turret nest?

Mr.Mike

I see this too. You'd think healing %40 of the damage done to a team would lead to a win (that's a real stat from my match), but when I did that today, my team was fucking destroyed. And the opposing team had no healers. Mind blowing, but a lesson learned I suppose. Just trying to figure out what else I could've done (I had 4 eliminations but maybe should've focused less on healing).

As a support you're really depending on the people you're supporting being worth supporting I guess. You can heal all you want but if people can't then make use of that to deal out more damage or whatever, than it's kinda all for naught.

At the same time if the people you're supporting are good then it's a huge boost. It's something that does lead to me trying to figure out who's "good" and focusing on healing and boosting them. At the start of the game I'll usually avoid damage boosting snipers because I can't rely on them to make their shots, preferring instead to boost say, Junkrat and Pharah, since I can have more faith they'll hit something, at least a little bit with the splash damage.

I've also occasionally just stopped healing to get on Soldier 76 so I can put down some damage (and also he's a better healer than people might think). A few times I've been able to swing the momentum of a game by doing this.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Probably my best play of the game so far. Team kill combo with Reaper and Mei ults to win the game just as we were about to lose.

FIeS67G.gif

See, while this is awesome, it makes my blood boil that Pharah can't take people down just as quickly with her ult considering she's a sitting duck for everyone.

A Pharah shouldn't shoot a rocket at point blank, because she can fcking fly.

So she can be a prime target for a Widowmaker or a Hanzo? lol

A lot of people are killing with Pharah but I have no clue how to use her and struggle to even kill and move around.

I'd recommend going to the practice range and getting familiar with the travel time of your rockets and recognizing how far from the opponent you are when you're shooting them. When I first played her I was relying heavily on splash damage, but now I've gotten to the point where I can make a good number of body shots. Also be aware of your environment. For example, if you're on a map that has pitfalls, make use of your concussive blasts to knock people off.

nOoblet16

I think I'll stop playing until competitive releases. Nobody picking a tank to make pushes in Hanamura to try to take even the first objective after having to heal and revive your ass countless times get me infuriated. You think your paper hp tracer is going to take out a turret nest?
Why don't you play in a group?
Plenty of people here and most are responsive to suggestions in game.

nOoblet16

Play Pharrah like you would a Direct Hit Soldier in TF2. She has splash damage, but most of her damage comes from hitting people instead of feet. Her abilities are pretty straightforward. She can use her concussion missile as a movement tech for a speed boost. If there are snipers around, try not to stay in the sky longer than you have to, etc.

If you're good at TF2 Soldier, however, you'll find that she's rather boring.
I played Soldier and Scout a lot in TF2 and yes she is boring because you do the same shit all the time. With Soldier you can go for direct hits, or splash damage both and the trajectory of the rocket jump is far more controllable than Pharah's boost.

RowdyReverb

I'm sure it's been said, but can somebody remind me how to counter 3+ Winstons when you're defending a control point? My team just got stomped on Anubis, which should have been an easy win on Defense.

Xeteh

See, while this is awesome, it makes my blood boil that Pharah can't take people down just as quickly with her ult considering she's a sitting duck for everyone.

He's technically the same sitting duck, though. He's just slowly moving in one direction.

I'm sure it's been said, but can somebody remind me how to counter 3+ Winstons when you're defending a control point? My team just got stomped on Anubis, which should have been an easy win on Defense.

Reaper for sure. He melts tanks. I was playing with some of my friend's friends and we got matched against a 6 Winston team. Two of us went Reaper and just annihilated them.

nOoblet16

McRightbuttonCree
Reaper
Bastion
And also Zenyatta (but you have to know how to play him)

Rad-

When I play Winston my biggest counters are McCree, Reaper and Bastion.

McCree, Reaper, Zenyatta, Bastion. If they fill their ranks with people who aren't squishy or who can fight back then it suddenly becomes a lot harder. The Zenyatta has to be good or he will just get picked off.

Dr. Buni

My Symmetra POTGs are always so lame.
Yuck yourself.
Some terrible luck there, since the release I must had have less than ten matches where people didn't pick supports and tanks.

Sometimes you get lucky on solo play. Was running back from the spawn with Pharah's ult. activated, and decided to let the rest of the team know. Almost immediately the Zarya on our team hit the ult notification to let me know that hers was ready as well.

Couldn't have been more perfect. Just as I was arriving from a flanking position to the main combat zone, the Zarya hit her ult on three people, I launched up and hit mine, and wiped out enough people to make the last push of the payload to win. When coordination like that works out, it reminds me what makes this game so awesome.

Yep, McCree, Bastion and Reaper dump on Winston hard. D.Va also beats Winston pretty hard as he can't headshot her and her health being mostly armor means she grinds him down way sooner than he does.

Bastion shuts him down hard. Roadhog, Reaper, 76, McCree, and Zenyatta work well too. Tracer does really great damage against him too if you're able to stay away from his gun.

Pharah is also pretty decent against Winston. In my experience as a Winston main she's very annoying since she can easily hop out of your range, push you back and make your ult useless on her. Although she usually doesn't end up killing me unless she is good.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Guy says we're useless, then switches to Mei and blocks us off on purpose with the ice wall, laughs (forcibly so) on the voice chat and then says we sucks when the game ends.

Gotta love random pubs.

Xeteh

Pharah is also pretty decent against Winston. In my experience as a Winston main she's very annoying since she can easily hop out of your range, push you back and make your ult useless on her. Although she usually doesn't end up killing me unless she is good.

You can make her ult pretty useless to her too by jumping at her face when she uses it and then she kills herself.

Guy says we're useless, then switches to Mei and blocks us off on purpose with the ice wall, laughs (forcibly so) on the voice chat and then says we sucks when the game ends.

Gotta love random pubs.

Had someone do that the other day after his team lost he says "these fucks are useless, im gonna wall them off in spawn". The map changes, his team leaves probably because they were tired of his shit already and he proceeds to wall off me and the rest of the team the entire next match because fuck it, he's 11.

Arion

I might be a slowpoke on this one but today I realized you can reflect Hanzo's ult using Genji's parry. Puts a whole new prospective on the Dragons cinematic short.

RowdyReverb

McRightbuttonCree
Reaper
Bastion
And also Zenyatta (but you have to know how to play him)

McCree, Reaper, Zenyatta, Bastion. If they fill their ranks with people who aren't squishy or who can fight back then it suddenly becomes a lot harder. The Zenyatta has to be good or he will just get picked off.

Bastion shuts him down hard. Roadhog, Reaper, 76, McCree, and Zenyatta work well too. Tracer does really great damage against him too if you're able to stay away from his gun.
Yeah, Bastion makes sense since Winston would have trouble getting in close enough to do damage. Just realized we didn't have on on our team. I went Torb because the menu kept saying "No Builders" and making me feel guilty for choosing anything but. Thanks all

Dr. Buni

D.Va doesn't really care about Winston. His tesla cannon does pitiful damage to her mecha.
I might be a slowpoke on the one but today I realized you can reflect Hanzo's ult using Genji's parry. Puts a whole new prospective on the Dragons cinematic short.
You can also reflect a ton of ultimates with his parry. Reflecting Zarya's ultimate must feel good.

Yeah, Bastion makes sense since Winston would have trouble getting in close enough to do damage. Just realized we didn't have on on our team. I went Torb because the menu kept saying "No Builders" and making me feel guilty for choosing anything but. Thanks all

Since Symettra and Torbjorn are the only builders and they are only good on defense that message is kinda useless.

I think he does well against her since he's moving around a lot. Plus he can attack while leaping to reach her while she's flying.

I got to kill a Pharah out of her ult with Winston's the other night and it was cool. Jumped up and swatted her out of it and killed her.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Even if they get up close they simply don't have enough DPS against a Bastion.
Some monkey tried to ult me. It didn't go well, he doesn't even push.

Roubjon

I literally just fought against an entire team of Winstons and a Lucio. I switched to McCree and watched those fat apes drop.

matmanx1

Yeah I don't play Mercy as much anymore because of this. Mercy makes a good group better but since you aren't really doing any damage your group needs to be good enough to overcome your lack of offense.

Lucio is my most played support class because of this. His buff and heal is solid and his ult is useful for pushing or defending against a push. His main fire is decent, once you learn to time it right and his alt fire knockback is fantastic.

I'm also picking Symmetra more if I am on defense. She has my highest win percentage among all support classes at 65%. Pick a good spot for your turrets and get the teleporter up. If you have more bodies on the field most of the time then that gives your team a much better shot at winning.

Got absolutely smashed on a team where I was playing Mercy. Come the end of the game it announced I healed 75% of my team. Did I get one vote for this from them? Nope. Nope. Nope.

Cheers, guys... -_-'

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Game is starting to get frustrating, Widows who have 70% headshot accuracy and McCree's just being McCree in every game it seems once you get to a certain level.

JTripper

I never see anyone using Mei at the first choke point in Hollywood where everyone is usually defending on the right side. It'd be so easy to pop an ice wall up and have your team flank around the building in the middle.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I love this game, but goddamn if I don't hate my team most of the time. Just finished up an attack round where I had two Bastions hanging out behind cover halfway between the spawn point and the objective, and another teammate hanging out with them as a sniper. I don't want to be a verbally abusive person, but it took everything I had not to curse them to the depths of hell over my headset.

Which tank is going to take out a turret nest?

Literally anything going into a turret nest will die.

OVDRobo

Best match of the day so far.

Played Bastion and the enemy team expected me to be stereotypical. I got most of my kills in Recon mode and spent a lot of the game flanking them and ducking into corners to heal.

Even made one guy quit after he came to hunt me down and I unloaded a most of a recon mode clip into his face then punched him for the kill.

Feels good to defy expectations.

Junkrat is definitely strong, but the only thing I think that is "stupid" about him is the martyrdom grenades. Everyone hated them in the Modern Warfare games, why introduce them here?

i always forget about those fucking things

especially when I'm symmetra cause you gotta be right up on people with her gun

aka_bueno

For those of you complaining about pubs, we're having a great time on PS4GAF. Join the group, I haven't played in a pub yet since the game released thanks to the PS4 chat group and GAF community.

Grab your headset, pop in the PS4 chat and ask to join a group or start one yourself. Be ready to voice chat though, we like to communicate and chat when possible.

Salarians

I think I'm going to take an Overwatch break. It's been very easy to get frustrated at my teammates today (eg: me healing two people trying to push the payload, all three of us dying, then seeing two of our allies being "helpful" by chasing down a Tracer on the other side of the map).

Zaventem

Which tank is going to take out a turret nest?

Literally anything going into a turret nest will die.

The least you can do is have one moving forward to make a push(aka those with shield capabilities.. When you can't get past the first door area maybe try changing things up unless you want to to not play a healer and be brick headed like everyone else.

Plum

Tracer's not a great example. Her ultimate bomb can clear out a turret nest in seconds, and since she can just recall out it's rarely an actual suicide mission.

Hell, if you're lucky you can get the Torjborn beside it as well and stop turret spamfor at least half a minute or so.

Hmm weird. All the Roadhogs I've faced have waited until I arrived in his face to shoot and by then I'm unstunned and pushing him back.

Sometimes the person you hook doesn't land right inside your crosshairs. That moment to adjust is often enough for them to use an escape ability.

Zaventem

A tracer trying to take it out a nest is stupidity and i maintain by that fact. Moving forward as a team will always be stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom