• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good choice, I think you can leave like 5 times in 20 games without getting hit with the penalty and you should never need to leave that many times so it's always possible to leave those matches where you just know it'll be depressing.

If I'm not in a group I typically bail at the site of any of the KOTH maps. I've yet to get a leaver's penalty for it.

How do you do that? Does it exit the way she's facing?

The arrows facing you is the way they exit out.

How do you do that? Does it exit the way she's facing?

there's an arrow

h3AptkJ.jpg

I get POTG pretty often with Widow. Got a quad kill with her last night for one. She's so fun.

Got a lot of POTGs last night actually. With Grief, JC, and everyone I got three in a row with different characters.

Sorral

That's when you use one of your get out of jail free cards and leave.

https://gfycat.com/DistinctYawningBlacklab

This is the sort of POTG I see Widows pulling more and more often the higher level I get.

I stuck around and they changed seconds in... but met a worse fate than three widowmakers. Torb turret spam, Bastion, Sym turrets everywhere, and Junkrats on route 66.

We just did the same to them and I don't feel bad about it one bit.

Beginning to feel like my available pool of characters is dropping unless I give up on contributing to my team, which just means blowouts that are even worse than usual. This is especially true if you're the one support, because you don't want to be The Guy Who Stops Playing Healer but fuck, man, sometimes there's no hope and then you're just stuck playing Mercy or Lucio as your only options for the rest of the match while the rest of your team fails to take out turrets or find the teleporter or whatever.

TheYanger

The absolute number 1 thing I want them to add is opting out of in-progress games. I Haaaaaaate being put into in progress matches.

Never gonna happen. Know what sucks more than getting put into a free xp/no loss game? Being in a game when someone DC's or ragequits and not being able to fill that spot.

Wait, how prevalent is teleport trolling anyway?

I don't think I've ever seem it once. Then again I'm usually the one playing sym.

This Symmetra got through enemy lines (third point defense on Gibralter) to put her tele behind the first point. I would have said honest mistake, since a lot of players don't seem to know that it comes out the opposite way she's facing, but I was watching them place it on deathcam, and they were very obviously trying to make it as close to the edge as possible.

In TF2 you'll see it occasionally. But it's a server setting, so some mucking about is expected. At least Symmetra's doesn't last indefinitely like Engie's, I guess.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Never gonna happen. Know what sucks more than getting put into a free xp/no loss game? Being in a game when someone DC's or ragequits and not being able to fill that spot.

This 100x, playing 5v6 is horrible. They can just make it so if you join late the loss doesn't count on your record.

Fugu

Beginning to feel like my available pool of characters is dropping unless I give up on contributing to my team, which just means blowouts that are even worse than usual. This is especially true if you're the one support, because you don't want to be The Guy Who Stops Playing Healer but fuck, man, sometimes there's no hope and then you're just stuck playing Mercy or Lucio as your only options for the rest of the match while the rest of your team fails to take out turrets or find the teleporter or whatever.
Sometimes I wonder if healing people while they're doing stupid stuff or about to do stupid stuff or just finishing doing some stupid stuff is just enabling them to continue banging their heads against the wall.

Dunlop

There needs to be some kind time window.

I've been pulled into many games with less than 30 seconds left, you have to take the loss (for 0 XP and have to wait on all of the POTG xp screens) or take a quitter penalty if you cancel out of that match

Luigi87

Really hoping they eventually make it so chat UI can be disabled during Highlight viewing.

Like sure it's fine when it appears during an in-game PotG, but when watching the Highlights and whatever was your most recent messages pops up for whatever reason, that's really dumb.

Also I'd love if it were possible to see the current match's status rather than what it was during a Kill Cam.
Not knowing whether I've won/lost while I'm dead because I can't see if something is being captured until the end of the KC is kind of annoying.

SeanR1221

Winston: jump in, shield, annoy, jump out.

Zarya: power up and let your life recharge, you have 200 shield so great sustain. You are squishier than tanks but can live longer if play smart.

Symmetra: cutoff an avenue with sentries or help at a choke. Tel port hidden. Lob shots through choke and use your charge gun to take down at close range (hopefully with your sentries there). Spam the shield on everyone!!! Not enough symms do it.

Ok that's exactly what I was doing with Winston. I'd disrupt shit to make them (probably) yell damn that gorilla!

Also throwing down the shield, backing out of it and using the lighting to kill them

Zarya, is she a better defense or attack hero? Getting the shielding down can sometimes be tough. I've had a lot of rough games with her.

Also glad I'm playing Symmetra that way. She's primarily only good on defense right?

There needs to be some kind time window.

I've been pulled into many games with less than 30 seconds left, you have to take the loss (for 0 XP and have to wait on all of the POTG xp screens) or take a quitter penalty if you cancel out of that match

You get something called "backfill" xp for any match you join near the end on the losing side. The last time it happened to me, I noticed an extra 400xp credited to backfill.

Any links for quick tips/pointers on how to properly use

Winston

Zarya

Symmetra?

Zarya is an awesome character. Her two particle barriers when attacked can suck up energy which her weapon can harness. Moreover it makes her weapon more deadly. You can see visual cues for it, when starting off the match the energy ball on the weapon is small. When you use the barriers properly and they are charged you'll see the blue energry ball get bigger additionally under the aiming reticule you can see a number and that dictates how charged up her weapon is.

As Zarya you should always, at all times be deploying particle barriers. On yourself, on your teammates to not only help protect them and yourself but charge you weapon so you can do serious damage. The cool down to the barriers differ. The one you use on teammates cools down faster than the one barrier you use on yourself. Remember to always deploy barriers, preferably when your teammates are in the heat of battle. Your weapon isn't as powerful if you don't deploy them and you or your teammates don't take damage while in them.

Her weapon has two different firing capabilities. The primary one, a laser that while powerful requires you to get near opponents because its range is rather short. The second ability lobs energy grenades which have a pretty good AOE damage.

Ultimately, her ult -while it takes long to charge- is one of the most powerful in the game in terms of uniting a bunch of foes and you or your teammates dealing damage. Her gravity ball is just that, a ball of gravity that sucks up any nearby enemies for a few short seconds -be careful because they can still shoot- usually when using her ult you wanna go in and use the barrier that protects you, have the poor suckers shoot you and charge your weapon and then you just unleash hell.

When playing with teammates it's good to use it in tandem with anyone really, but I've combined it with Hanzo and Reaper the most. Bunch them up and have Hanzo unleash his dragon or Reaper do his death blossom.

Zarya is an amazing character who can be really difficult to kill when in the right hands. I've noticed players keep shooting me when I have my barrier and I'm like thank you very much, now take this.

Conversely when facing off against a Zarya who has her barrier just don't shoot her, get away until it passes and try to get her from behind. Genji is good at this.

Auctopus

It's fucking draining joining matches for the display to say "No Support Heroes/No Tank Heroes" every damn time.

Like, I'm a good Winston but I'm not playing him every single match.

Sometimes I wonder if healing people while they're doing stupid stuff or about to do stupid stuff or just finishing doing some stupid stuff is just enabling them to continue banging their heads against the wall.

I feel the same way at times, before I was over extending and actively trying to heal everyone every where. Not so much nowadays.

SeanR1221

Zarya is an awesome character. Her two particle barriers when attacked can suck up energry which her weapon can harness. Moreover it makes her weapon more deadly. You can see visual cues for it, when starting off the match the energy ball on the weapon is small. When you use the barriers properly and they are charged you'll see the blue energry ball get bigger additionally under the aiming reticule you can see a number and that dictates how charged up her weapon is.

As Zarya you should always, at all times be deploying particle barriers. On yourself, on your teammates to not only help protect them and yourself but charge you weapon so you can do serious damage. The cool down to the barriers differ. The one you use on teammates cools down faster than the one barrier you use on yourself. Remember to always deploy barriers, preferably when your teammates are in the heat of battle. Your weapon isn't as powerful if you don't deploy them and you or your teammates don't take damage while in them.

Her weapon has two different firing capabilities. The primary one, a laser that while powerful requires you to get near opponents because its range is rather short. The second ability lobs energy grenades which have a pretty good AOE damage.

Ultimately, her ult -while it takes long to charge- is one of the most powerful in the game in terms of uniting a bunch of foes and you or your teammates dealing damage. Her gravity ball is just that, a ball of gravity that sucks up any nearby enemies for a few short seconds -be careful because they can still shoot- usually when using her ult you wanna go in and use the barrier that protects you, have the poor suckers shoot you and charge your weapon and then you just unleash hell.

When playing with teammates it's good to use it in tandem with anyone really, but I've combined it with Hanzo and Reaper the most. Bunch them up and have Hanzo unleash his dragon or Reaper do his death blossom.

Zarya is an amazing character who can be really difficult to kill when in the right hands. I've noticed players keep shooting me when I have my barrier and I'm like thank you very much, now take this.

Conversely when facing off against a Zarya who has her barrier just don't shoot her, get away until it passes and try to get her from behind. Genji is good at this.

Awesome write up!

I feel like I rarely see Zaryas because people don't know how to play her.

Fugu

I feel the same way at times, before I was over extending and actively trying to heal everyone every where. Not so much nowadays.
I'm talking about the games where the team is making a concerted effort to accomplish nothing. I think it's hard to make it far as Mercy if you're in any kind of habit of over-extending; the most important skill to master as a Mercy player is not dying and over-extending is one of the most reliable ways to end up dead.

Kain

What's the consensus on Winston? I had a blast with him on the beta, but he always struck me as kind of limited.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Have you played any Brawl matches/does it count those?
No brawls are not counted in any statistics. Kind of frustrating because there is literally no incentive to play brawl right now, and because of lack of stats it's actually a detriment.

Hopefully they at least go the the Hearthstone model soon and give us a box for our first brawl win of the week.

^Go for the one you feel more comfortable with at the moment. Full-power body shots will oneshot Tracer and Zenyatta so don't even bother with headshots on them. I generally go for bodyshots as some damage is better than no damage.
What's the consensus on Winston? I had a blast with him on the beta, but he always struck me as kind of limited.

One of the better tanks and one of the best characters for KOTH.

Great at crowd control and taking out supports and generally fucking up groups of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom