• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Reaper is pretty strong against tanks in general, his DPS is so high and tank bodies are generally so big that his full shotgun blasts land constantly. You'll have a hard time as a tank burning down a Reaper before he kills you, plus he can just reset the fight with this invulnerability.

Hmm, guess so. Don't know why but I've never had much trouble with him as the other tanks.

All the fun you get playing Mei is the one you rob from your opponents.
She's really not a great character to have in this game I feel like, just like Mcree currently.
Mcree is OP right now, as Blizzard themselves have said. Mei is not. So I don't understand the comparison.

Antiwhippy

All the fun you get playing Mei is the one you rob from your opponents.
She's really not a great character to have in this game I feel like, just like Mcree currently.

Nah, she's great. In a game where movement is so important in winning matches it's nice to have a character that can deny that movement.

Hasney

I would actually prefer if the penalty for quitters was a bit steeper. Right now it's like the penalties in Call of Duty where you just lose experience for that match and it's treated as a loss. It's not really noticeable enough to discourage quitting.

Something like what Rocket League has would be good.

But it's casual play. Rocket League doesn't punish at all for casual play, so it actually has more.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
All our bitching and moaning aside. All the frustrating moments and tactics ignored.

I really do love this game. It scratches an itch I didn't know I had. It's almost a perfect mix of "jump in for one more match" and "time to be competitive."

I've spent the majority of my time as Lúcio (due to most people seemingly not wanting to be a healer), but I gamed with some friends last night (on PS4) and one friend was an amazing Mercy, which allowed me to play as Reaper. He is quickly becoming my favorite on any map where I can flank and surprise the opposing team (although Tracer is really fun in that role too).

I gamed WAY too much yesterday (about 8 hours of the 14 that I have played total) and learned a lot about characters I wouldn't want to normally play (for example: Mei and Pharaoh). I'm in the camp that one has to be able to fill in roles for the team. It does mean that I won't be as good with just one character, but I can help change the tide of battle by countering certain characters on the opposing team (which feels like the soul of this game).

Antiwhippy

Also I'm really liking pharah as someone I switch to at the last bit on a defense game.

Sometimes you just need a crapload of rockets in a concentrated area where everyone is gathered around.

DrArchon

Anubis has to be the worst map in the entire game. No question about it. I feel like it's nearly impossible to fuck up defending it in pubs. All you need is one Bastion, one Torbjorn, and 4 other guys dicking around and you can push back anyone that attacks point B. There's only 2 ways to get in, from the center and from the left, and you can have Bastion and Torb's turret covering both easily. It takes a couple of ults to break that defense and then at any point someone on the other team can use one ult (Mercy, Lucio, Bastion, Torb, Winston, etc) and can push the whole attacking team back far enough to force them to start over again.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Forgetting about normal play; who do we think has the best Ult?

Hasney

Fuck everything, I never get worked up in games but I just want to choke people. Game in overtime, no-one on their control point and I'm rushing back there as Lucio to just get a foot there. I'm about a second away and I see a Genji heading that way... Before swerving off right to go try and kill a Mercy...

Gorillaz

WOOOOHOOOOOO
FINALLY GOT POTG WITH ZENYATTA
EVEN GOT A LEGENDARY COMMODATION
EXPERIENCE TRANQUILITY MOTHERFUCKERS
image.php

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Fuck everything, I never get worked up in games but I just want to choke people. Game in overtime, no-one on their control point and I'm rushing back there as Lucio to just get a foot there. I'm about a second away and I see a Genji heading that way... Before swerving off right to go try and kill a Mercy...

I'm laughing because I could see that happening.

I'm crying because I could see that happening. T-T

Alucrid

Banned
some times i think i should use a mic so i can tell my teammate about the reaper coming behind them

but then i remember that it's a shitty widowmaker and don't feel bad

Its not that its that McCree keeps her in check so we cant tell how shed do in high level play.

Even if McCree was gone, Mei still has a major issue in that her DPS is the drizzling shits. She can solo DPS/Healers in pure 1v1's due to freeze combo, but it takes her forever to do so in comparison to practically any other DPS. In reality against competent players you'll rarely have the time to stack the freeze before they either get healed or the Mei is killed by other players.

We'll see more variety among the DPS with a McCree nerf, but Mei will continue to be the least used character in the game in competitive play. The occasionally useful icewall isn't enough to compensate for her consistently awful damage output.

For example, GosuGamers ran a no-dupe tournament yesterday so we didn't see things like Dual Winston/Dual McCree/Dual Lucio. Mei was still nowhere to be found.

Pastry

Banned
Whhhhyyyy do people run away from the control point in overtime. We're going to lose if you don't get in the point. Who gives a fuck if you top off your health at this point.

But it's casual play. Rocket League doesn't punish at all for casual play, so it actually has more.
Yeah I just realized that after typing it. I played only competitive in rocket league.

Obviously everything I said should be applied to the ranked playlist when it comes.

Its not that its that McCree keeps her in check so we cant tell how shed do in high level play.
What do you mean high level play? People are complaining about her in low level play as well. And Mcree will still keep her in check even when Blizzard nerfs him. All their changing according to their posts is how much damage he does to tanks.

Zarya is something I'm seeing more of in competitive play. She's still behind Winston and Reinhardt in use for tanks, but her ult is absolutely game changing and allows ridiculous wombo combos. Her DPS is also amazing in the hands of good players who can keep high energy. I can see her being picked more and more as a 2nd tank because of that.

Grief.exe

What do you mean high level play? People are complaining about her in low level play as well. And Mcree will still keep her in check even when Blizzard nerfs him. All their changing according to their posts is how much damage he does to tanks.

Mei is in a tough spot. She's annoying, but also completely useless against a good team.

The problem is players who are completely oblivious to their surroundings and lack of awareness. Mei shouldn't freeze people on your team unless they are out of position.

The Ult can be solid on KOTH maps though.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

This made me laugh harder than i should have.

Sorry that happened to you.

Whhhhyyyy do people run away from the control point in overtime. We're going to lose if you don't get in the point. Who gives a fuck if you top off your health at this point.
An alarming amount of players aren't tactically minded. They treat most maps as if they were team deathmatch. The game is so much better with at least two friends who you can coordinate with and try to team up. I get more frustrated with the cycle of death where teammates rush in as one or two instead of trying to sync attacks with the entire team. Just wait a few seconds guys and we can all rush in together and wipe them out or we can just repeatedly keep going in on our own and getting picked off one by one :(

Mei is in a tough spot. She's annoying, but also completely useless against a good team.

The problem is players who are completely oblivious to their surroundings and lack of awareness. Mei shouldn't freeze people on your team unless they are out of position.

The Ult can be solid on KOTH maps though.
So I guess Mei is like the Teemo of Overwatch. Terrible for competitive games but can troll hard in random matches.

Grief.exe

So I guess Mei is like the Teemo of Overwatch. Terrible for competitive games but can troll hard in random matches.

Bastion and Mei are on the same tier, basically built to dominate pubs but become completely ineffective on up.

I think the consensus in this thread is D.Va is on the same tier, I would agree but she's slightly better.

Zemm

Roadhog is most fun when paired with another tank hero so they can support each other and he isn't facing the brunt of the first line damage. Him and Zarya are my personal favourite duo, they compliment each other so well and it's so much better having a Zarya on my team when playing as Roadhog and vice versa.

Ugh, a bunch of pisspoor games where I was just total garbage. Their composition was better, their positioning was better, their players were better than all of us. Stomps aren't fun at all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bastion and Mei are on the same tier, basically built to dominate pubs but become completely ineffective on up.

I think the consensus in this thread is D.Va is on the same tier, I would agree but she's slightly better.

you forgot Tor, the gaf pug killer apparently

Flintty

Roadhog is most fun when paired with another tank hero so they can support each other and he isn't facing the brunt of the first line damage. Him and Zarya are my personal favourite duo, they compliment each other so well and it's so much better having a Zarya on my team when playing as Roadhog and vice versa.

Reinhardt and Roadhog tag team is pretty awesome. In fact dual tanks, regardless of which heroes you choose can be insane in competent hands. I love being backed up by 'Hog or Winston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom