• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satch

Banned
hanamura and volskaya and anubis require so much work of the attacking side that its just nightmarish to get your teammates to do the right thing

edit: and yes torbjorn is super strong on consoles. the turrets snap to you immediately, but your turn speed is tied to your sensitivity. so if you have like 30 sensitivity you're gonna have a hard time retaliating. it's also why tracer is such an incredible nuisance to a lot of people on console relative to pc

Canucked

This game has the same problem as TF2 (and probably any number of Dota-likes). Everyone stands around taking shots at the enemy team, while 2-3 people take the initiative and actually flank and coordinate.

It's not a shootout. The only people who should be in the middle are tanks, healers, and probably 76 and Hanzo. People throw themselves at the point in hopes that they'll somehow wipe the entire team themselves or something?

People want that POtD and some achievements/trophies too. Played with a mercy one of my first few nights saving her ult for when we were all dead. There are other people who don't take initiative to work together but if you let them know a general plan they will try.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think I've won all 3 of those maps more often than I've lost honestly when attacking.

Thing is, if you know to be fast, the defending pub teams just aren't coordinated enough. Especially if you have flankers pulling them from different directions.

Also it's real easy to root out all the turrets in there with DVa. You just have to time it right so that it's destroyed just as you're team starts pushing.

Then again I've also won more games on those maps defending than I've lost. Guess all you need is some coordination to defeat most pub teams.

You could say the same for any shooter with a sniper class. I used to rage at snipers in CoD, and snipers in Battlefield made me stop playing it almost as soon as I started.

But that is my own mindset. They are MEANT to be a pain in the ass, and good ones will draw aggro. But they aren't unbeatable. Its a case of whether it is you, or a capable teammate that makes it their mission to flank, and take them out. Widowmaker is squishy at best.
The problem is widowmaker causes the same team comps to be played over and over again, much like mccree. Except widowmakers are the focus of every single game, you don't have someone distracting widowmaker for a second, then your team is dead.

Ken

This game has the same problem as TF2 (and probably any number of Dota-likes). Everyone stands around taking shots at the enemy team, while 2-3 people take the initiative and actually flank and coordinate.

It's not a shootout. The only people who should be in the middle are tanks, healers, and probably 76 and Hanzo. People throw themselves at the point in hopes that they'll somehow wipe the entire team themselves or something?

Maybe they're building ult/poking while waiting for someone to initiate.

vypek

She gets potg pretty regularly.

Really? My POTG was the first I ever saw her get it. Haven't seen a teammate or opponent get it before.

I think she's right behind Winston for my most POTGs. Those turrets do work on those big hectic pushes.

Yeah, her turrets are really great. She probably won't get a buff but I would love if her ultimate could charge to like 25% at least while turrets are up

Hex

Banned
I wish offense players would take the time to aim and take out the sniper on the roof. But no, Mercy here will do your job for you.

Got news for you, if that sniper is half worth the time then you aim and you are dead before you pull the trigger.
I manage to put an icycle through a Widowmakers eye well enough times because I can freeze myself quickly and I may get lucky with McCree but it takes more than one shot.

I prefer to think of it as being a martyr to spark the fighting spirit of my team to follow me into a glorious dawn. It works sometimes... And even if it doesn't it's better for there to be at least one person trying to make something happen than to just sit there with the rest of them being a part of the problem.

He's got a fucking shark on his head, either way you fucked up.

Also I just don't care for that one, the chain sound still being there even though he has a rope irritates me.

I'm fine with the chain sound still being there. I think it's part of Blizzard's commitment to keeping the important elements of the game recognizable, like how Genji's shurikens and sword slashes are always green even if you're using a skin like Carbon Fiber that makes him blue instead of green.

I'll admit the Genji thing does bug the hell out of me, Carbon Fiber looks terrible as a result of it

Antiwhippy

Really? My POTG was the first I ever saw her get it. Haven't seen a teammate or opponent get it before.

If you set up her turrets right you'll basically get free multikills whenever the opposite team tries to make a push.

Also the way her gun works is basically built for large group multikills also.

The problem with Roadhog's shark skins are the nipple piercings. Please no.

Maybe they're building ult/poking while waiting for someone to initiate.

No. It's not Dota. You won't lose your towers or be underleveled if you die dying to advance. The only reason you should ever be "poking" is to distract the enemy team while your teammates flank, and then once they turn to face your teammates, you move in too. If you're going to poke, you do it as safely as possible, not merely throwing yourself into the enemy team straight up the middle every time.

Grisby

Oh man, finally got enough credits through lootboxes to get a skin of my choice.

Damn, decisions. Could be a long ass time before I get to choose again. I wish Mei and Tracer had some better outfits.

Trying to decide between Valkyrie Mercy or Devil Mercy!

Antiwhippy

Hanamura point A is a Symmetra POTG waiting to happen

Haha yeah, I get tons there.

Honestly though at this point I've taken to not using her on defense from time to time because watching the red team not even make it past point a can get a bit boring after awhile.

don't ever talk to me or my sons again
ohuUBLh.png

Grief.exe

hanamura and volskaya and anubis require so much work of the attacking side that its just nightmarish to get your teammates to do the right thing

edit: and yes torbjorn is super strong on consoles. the turrets snap to you immediately, but your turn speed is tied to your sensitivity. so if you have like 30 sensitivity you're gonna have a hard time retaliating. it's also why tracer is such an incredible nuisance to a lot of people on console relative to pc

They are going to balance the game differently on console.

Soldier 76 is another example of a hero who was balanced for console aiming, but on PC he is an absolute death machine with his pin point accuracy and zero recoil.

Oh man, finally got enough credits through lootboxes to get a skin of my choice.

Damn, decisions. Could be a long ass time before I get to choose again. I wish Mei and Tracer had some better outfits.

In my opinion, the best Tracer skin is the default one.

Ken

The problem with Roadhog's shark skins are the nipple piercings. Please no.

No. It's not Dota. You won't lose your towers or be underleveled if you die dying to advance. The only reason you should ever be "poking" is to distract the enemy team while your teammates flank, and then once they turn to face your teammates, you move in too. If you're going to poke, you do it as safely as possible, not merely throwing yourself into the enemy team straight up the middle every time.

I mean your other line about taking shots and not the "people throwing themselves in solo." Maybe I misinterpreted what you were getting at though.

Everyone stands around taking shots at the enemy team, while 2-3 people take the initiative and actually flank and coordinate.

Devil Mercy says "Heroes never die... for a price" when she revives people. That's pretty cool.

Alternatively, Valkyrie Mercy says something something Valhalla something when she revives.

Personally I like Devil Mercy way more, but they're both good.

B.O.O.M

Haha yeah, I get tons there.

Honestly though at this point I've taken to not using her on defense from time to time because watching the red team not even make it past point a can get a bit boring after awhile.

Well yesterday I had a team that was SO bad that even before I set the 6th turret, rest of my team outside of one player was dead and the enemy team together just charged in with tanks and got the objective. Symmetra gets wrecked with multiple enemies. I don't think I have been that annoyed in a multiplayer game in a long time haha

don't ever talk to me or my sons again
ohuUBLh.png

I guess I'm in the minority but I think this skin is ugly :S Genji deserves better skins, just like tracer

Hex

Banned
Well yesterday I had a team that was SO bad that even before I set the 6th turret, rest of my team outside of one player was dead and the enemy team together just charged in with tanks and got the objective. Symmetra gets wrecked with multiple enemies. I don't think I have been that annoyed in a multiplayer game in a long time haha

I guess I'm in the minority but I think this skin is ugly :S Genji deserves better skins, just like tracer

Yeah I love that skin

Acerac

Banned
People have gotten progressively more angry the longer I've played this game.

It's a worrying trend. At a certain point I almost want to start turning chats off when I'm in pubs.

B.O.O.M

People have gotten progressively more angry the longer I've played this game.

It's a worrying trend. At a certain point I almost want to start turning chats off when I'm in pubs.

I think this worrisome trend is correlated to the use of Mei in the game. More she gets used more the anger caused. The worst I tell ya

I only want better color schemes for default Genji. Yellow and bright green? Don't like that. Carbon Fiber is good but everyone uses it so I stick with Chrome.

I mean your other line about taking shots and not the "people throwing themselves in solo." Maybe I misinterpreted what you were getting at though.

I'm saying only 2-3 people actually understand how to use heroes and maps to gain an advantage, while the rest run up the middle and take random shots until they die. Some people should be pushing up the middle, ideally a tank or two, the healer, and 76, Junkrat/ Pharah find a vantage point to keep enemies from getting too comfortable, Reaper/ Tracer/ Genji harass and kill important targets. It should be an effort on multiple fronts. You don't even need communication, just some people need to actually know what they're doing. You want to advance YOUR front line, not merely reach the point and hope you survive long enough to capture it.

MBison

I think Winston is pretty weak at the moment. Or am I doing something wrong?

You can't play him expecting to win battles. He's like a tracer or genji disrupt force but on a bigger level. Get him behind enemy lines and go crazy jumping in stuff and killing turrets and widow makers.

Ken

I only want better color schemes for default Genji. Yellow and bright green? Don't like that. Carbon Fiber is good but everyone uses it so I stick with Chrome.

I'm saying only 2-3 people actually understand how to use heroes and maps to gain an advantage, while the rest run up the middle and take random shots until they die. Some people should be pushing up the middle, ideally a tank or two, the healer, and 76, Junkrat/ Pharah find a vantage point to keep enemies from getting too comfortable, Reaper/ Tracer/ Genji harass and kill important targets. It should be an effort on multiple fronts. You don't even need communication, just some people need to actually know what they're doing. You want to advance YOUR front line, not merely reach the point and hope you survive long enough to capture it.

Oh so it's a l2p post.

Well I don't think you'll find any of that in the wild Quick Play queue.

Antiwhippy

Eh, that can happen with any character though. But yeah, she benefits from a better team as much as they benefit from her because she works so well at creating distraction.

I've really taken to using roadhog for defense nowadays though. So much fun to just pick away at their attacking line or healer.

Mei is super fun on defense too. So much fun. I like staring at their frozen faces.

I think the problem is when people just spend their time loitering well outside the point or engaging in side battles nowhere near the point, I can't tell if this is "we're coordinating a plan to attack all at once from multiple angles!" or "lol tem deathmatch yay." It's one thing to hang out before a chokepoint to wait for your teammates to respawn and move out as one unit--that should be a pretty obvious "form up and group on us" indicator--but people being coy about moving onto the point happens for lots of reasons, only some of which have to do with "it's not time yet."

DrArchon

Playing more and more Tracer when given the chance now. I'm really getting addicted to zipping around maps in weird ways, triple blinking to get past turrets, blinking from platform to platform like I've got an air dash, just pestering the shit out of people with my guns. She's very unassuming until she has her ult and does something stupid with it like get a double kill or take out a turret.

The real best thing about Tracer though is that her best costume only costs 250 gold (the sporty one for those wondering).

vypek

If you set up her turrets right you'll basically get free multikills whenever the opposite team tries to make a push.

Also the way her gun works is basically built for large group multikills also.

I should try using her more consistently then. The bulk of my playtime with her has been today

I have met some disgustingly toxic players in this game. Luckily both voice and text chat can be disabled so you can tune them out completely - when I play with friends, I just use Discord or TeamSpeak to communicate.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So I've been playing McCree a bunch lately. I still see Genji, Tracer, Reaper being good counters to him. True if he hits with a flashbang at close range it's almost a gauranteed kill, but otherwise he can die very quickly in a variety of ways.

Protip: You can see how much HP the Mercy healing you has. If you see ANYTHING less than 75%, ask yourself immediately "Why has my healer been damaged?". I'm getting so sick of having a Tracer/Reaper/Winston dance all over my ass for 30 seconds as every single person I fly towards leaves me to die, then they start spamming the "I need healing" comms line and complaining in chat when I'm having to talk the long walk back to the payload. I swear, it's been getting far worse these last few days.

If you let your healer die, you're a terrible player.

arimanius

Well I got teabag for the first time in this game. I was Bastion and he was a reaper. Had been doing pretty well again their team. He made a point to come after me lol

yatesl

I'm starting to get annoyed with people on this. I'm only level 23 so might not know all tactics, but when you're defending in overtime and the payload is about to hit the checkpoint, you fight ON it, not far away picking people off - especially if you're not Widowmaker.

It's better to push back a bit and die than stay alive, but let it push forward, surely. And these people are a similar level to me, or higher, so have just as much game time.

On a more light hearted note, I almost bought a victory pose for my waifu Pharah, but I can't bring myself to spend the gold when it might drop.

Grisby

In my opinion, the best Tracer skin is the default one.
I agree. That punk one is so gaudy.
Devil Mercy says "Heroes never die... for a price" when she revives people. That's pretty cool.

Alternatively, Valkyrie Mercy says something something Valhalla something when she revives.

Personally I like Devil Mercy way more, but they're both good.
Yeah, the different lines are cool. Leaning towards that devil. The moving tail is pretty neat.

Gurrry

Woah, just came across my first ever prestiged player. He was level 5 with a giant copper star underneath his name.

Crazy.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Seagull's good and all, but it kinda helps that he almost always have a permanent healer healing him and boosting his damage...

What's a good controller set up on ps4 to play Lucio and be able to do wall rides? Now with the jump button mapped to x ours impossible to use this feature. I tried with R3 but I really do not like that input at all because it affects my grip on the stick.

I'm thinking of double dipping on this game because of this but I'd rather not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom