• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Eeeeeeyup.

A character that goes from OP Pubstomper to low-tier clown pick is not a well designed character.

AND NO, HE DOES NOT NEED A NERF, before the "lol why you asking them to nerf bastion" force shows up. He needs a total overhaul.

Never enough JUSTICE.

But why is being situational a bad thing? Not all heroes need to be for all situations. The cast will only grow with time (we assume) so having these super niche heroes for certain things is a good thing no?

Vee_One

I played this game too much and am level 94. So, the game now gives me horrible matches every single time. Generally teammates from level 10-30 who barely have an idea how to play this game.

Why does it do that? Does it think I can carry them or something? It's just loss after loss unless I play with a party entirely of friends. And I mean entirely, if we have 4 people it will just give us 2 trash randoms and we lose.

I would assume there aren't that many level 94s yet? The game hasn't been out two weeks. I could be completely wrong but I just don't think you would have that many people to be matched up with yet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im surprised at the lack of "blue posts" about the game compared to previous Blizzard games

CryptoZookeeper

Neo Member
Snipers can shut him down easily since his bullets are weaker at long range so they can take minimal damage. Alternatively if you're Pharah you can stand at the corner hiding, then peek out and fire a rocket quickly before hiding. Do that quick enough and you can take out a Bastion before they damage you too much or heal. Junkrat could be good but I don't use him so I can't say for certain.

I like to use Reaper to counter Bastion. Once you know where the bastion is situated you use knowledge of the map to your advantage, and use Reaper's "E" ability to teleport above/behind Bastion. If you can get up close it'll only take one or two blasts which is quick.

Kyzon

If anyone needs some support on xbox, I'm playing while streaming and mostly going Zenny and Lucio with some Symmetra if somebody else wants to heal.

Both the devil and imp skins for Mercy are terrible. Sigrun or bust. Valkyrie is also acceptable.

AbjRpxj.jpg

Preach.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
But why is being situational a bad thing? Not all heroes need to be for all situations. The cast will only grow with time (we assume) so having these super niche heroes for certain things is a good thing no?

But what is his niche really other than a hump for new players to get over and something that isn't a problem to people who played more than a few hours? Even a rein/bastion/mercy combo is something broken up fairly often now if the other team is remotely co-ordinated.

Rhaknar

What are blue posts?

Developer posts on the official forums about various aspects of the game, usually about classes and whatnot. We had that Mcree/D.Va post (actually it was a tweet wasn't it?) and that's about it

A certain degree of situationalness is fine, but, like, he shouldn't be limited to 25 square feet on any given map, you know? Hero switching is a big part of the game, but there's a point where you can't conceivably switch to the hero and get back into position in time for him to be any use. Symmetra has a similar problem, but she's not as much of a pubstomper, and she's support, so it's not as pronounced.

Hellix

Are you talking about competitive or pubs because for pubs he's useful be definitely not required for victory.

Pubs, I guess. There's a competitive mode?

Having a tank is useful and hes the most noob friendly, but that thought is incorrect. Bastion can shred him, Junkrats bombs go through the barrier and Mei and Pharah can deal with him.

He enables more "tradtional" play, but theres many other ways to go.

I know he isn't un-killable, but his barrier doesn't make it easy for you.

Not to be a dick but its very likely that anything you said after the words "so I've only been playing it this weekend" would be incorrect lol :p

And yes your statement about Rein is fact not true.

Well I wasn't stating a fact, just going off the games I've been playing. About 8 times out of 10, I've won with a Reinhardt on my team. Though, I'd say it is more noticeable on payload than the other game modes.

Developer posts on the official forums about various aspects of the game, usually about classes and whatnot. We had that Mcree/D.Va post (actually it was a tweet wasn't it?) and that's about it

Oh, well when a game releases I think that a lot of developers take a well deserved break after a really intense work schedule.

Antiwhippy

A certain degree of situationalness is fine, but, like, he shouldn't be limited to 25 square feet on any given map, you know? Hero switching is a big part of the game, but there's a point where you can't conceivably switch to the hero and get back into position in time for him to be any use. Symmetra has a similar problem, but she's not as much of a pubstomper, and she's support, so it's not as pronounced.

Sym is kind of a pubstomper though. One of the highest winrates in the game.

http://masteroverwatch.com/heroes/overall/global

Rhaknar

I know dude, I just find those type of posts bizarre. Ive played 60 hours and I feel like im barely starting to understand most classes and shit, I would never presume to say something is OP for example (not saying thats what you said) with a couple of days of play. But hey thats me.

Ha, just joined a payload attack mission where everyone else was already in: four Reapers and a Lucio. I said "fuck it" and made it five Reapers.

And we actually won. I still have no idea how it happened. Either really good Reapers or a really bad defense team.

Sym is kind of a pubstomper though. One of the highest winrates in the game.

http://masteroverwatch.com/heroes/overall/global

Yeah, true. Should've said something like "not to the same extent."

Symm's win rate contrasted with her pick rate has me convinced that it's about circumstance; people don't pick her except when and where she's at her strongest, so her winrate is artificially inflated. If you had people "maining" her like they do Widow, Reaper, Bastion, etc. I suspect it'd drop :p

Son Of D

I like to use Reaper to counter Bastion. Once you know where the bastion is situated you use knowledge of the map to your advantage, and use Reaper's "E" ability to teleport above/behind Bastion. If you can get up close it'll only take one or two blasts which is quick.

Never thought of that. That sounds like it'll work well. Another strat I mentioned if you don't mind using Ultimates is sneaking around to the side of Bastion as Tracer, running/blinking up to him and sticking a Pulse Bomb on him for a kill. Just don't do what I done once and blinked too far right into the line of fire.

I know dude, I just find those type of posts bizarre. Ive played 60 hours and I feel like im barely starting to understand most classes and shit, I would never presume to say something is OP for example (not saying thats what you said) with a couple of days of play. But hey thats me.

Well, I mean... there's always something new to learn. People are crazy and unpredictable, and yeah, a certain degree of acceptance of what we don't know is perfectly appropriate. But at the same time, just saying "oh, I don't know, Blizz knows best," doesn't really add anything to the discussion :p

Rhaknar

I am officially in "oh a legendary dropped, neat" territory of not caring at this point. Not that Ive gotten a bunch (I got...6 I think in 65 levels) its just that its pointless to expect them. It happens when it happens is my feelings towards it now /shrug

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Caved and bought Riverboat McCree, I guess I can enjoy it for a few weeks if they gut him instead of balancing him.

Antiwhippy

I'm more excited about victory poses honestly. Some really fun ones. Plus you only see them when you win so that feels good.

Symm's win rate contrasted with her pick rate has me convinced that it's about circumstance; people don't pick her except when and where she's at her strongest, so her winrate is artificially inflated. If you had people "maining" her like they do Widow, Reaper, Bastion, etc. I suspect it'd drop :p

She's pretty good at her niche though. If I'm actually serious I start all defense maps with sym. I've even seen some teams using sym in KotH, though I'm not sure if it's just the other team being bad.

BigDug13

Plus people pick her more on defensive objective maps where the defense is already advantaged.

ElyrionX

What are the cheats people are using now? Aimbot? Wallhack?

Yesterday, I came out of a side doorway and instantly ate a near full charge of Zen's alt fire. I saw the replay and he was looking down the main fighting corridor and suddenly switched to looking at the doorway I was going to come out of and began charging up his alt fire. He is not supposed to know I was coming but the timing of his alt fire was near-perfect. It was extremely blatant cheating.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I love putting up an ice wall before that cowboy wannabe can do his high noon shit.

Depending on how your win rate is it needs to keep you at 50%, it matches you based a hidden variable, and pairs you based on whether its time for you to win or lose.
lmao thats not how matchmaking works. The game is not trying to force your win rate to 50%, by matching you in terrible games.

I'm more excited about victory poses honestly. Some really fun ones. Plus you only see them when you win so that feels good.

She's pretty good at her niche though. If I'm actually serious I start all defense maps with sym. I've even seen some teams using sym in KotH, though I'm not sure if it's just the other team being bad.

I totally do that to! Well, barring a couple of stinkers.I love Symm, and you're right that in her niche she's nigh-unstoppable. It's just that that niche doesn't include attacking, ever, and 2/3 KotH maps, and most point Bs on defense. She's a lot better off than Bastion, but could still use some rejiggering.

Plus people pick her more on defensive objective maps where the defense is already advantaged.

In pub games, yeah. Apparently it's flipped in high-level play, which makes sense.

-MD-

Yesterday, I came out of a side doorway and instantly ate a near full charge of Zen's alt fire. I saw the replay and he was looking down the main fighting corridor and suddenly switched to looking at the doorway I was going to come out of and began charging up his alt fire. He is not supposed to know I was coming but the timing of his alt fire was near-perfect. It was extremely blatant cheating.

Did he hear your footsteps or was there a Widow/Hanzo on the team?

Kinsei

Banned
The feeling when you get knocked into the well in the middle of the first point in Illios but you skate around the inside to get back out.

tumblr_o4uc0ljD5S1to9wudo1_500.gif

I finally managed to get a play of the game with Lucio too!

Last I heard there was esp but not aimbot.

ElyrionX

Did he hear your footsteps or was there a Widow/Hanzo on the team?

I don't know about the footsteps but if it was Hanzo or Widow infra sight ability, the replay would have shown my red body outline before I appeared in view. There was none of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom