• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flintty

You are absolutely right, the key word being 'well supported'. He is one of those characters that sometimes get completely ignored by the teammates for whatever reason. I mean hey guys here's a big ass shield..use it and attack and cover me when i need to recharge...or you can go do ur own thing and get killed that's fine too lol But yeah Reinhardt is fun to play as for sure. My favorite tank

With Reinhardt I feel like I can make the most difference in a game. When your team is unable to push forward f.e.

He is beast mode. Thankfully my team of regulars are always keen to have me as Reinhardt and play good support, including heals. It's nice when it clicks and we play well, even losing is fun when it's a good game.

I'm starting to get frustrated with people playing Toblerone. There always seems to be at least 2 on each time hammering away at their turrets constantly making them near impossible to kill, and they always place them in areas where you practially have to expose yourself to them.
Was asking about that earlier. Almost every defensive team I played last night consisted of two auto-turrets and a Bastion. In one map there was an additional Bastion for four turrets in all.

How are people attacking these formations?

I ran Junkrat and took out 10 turrets and it didn't make much of a difference because I couldn't really clear the board. It takes a lot longer to take one down than to set one up, and hard counters don't necessarily work once you double or triple up on turrets.

LiK

I'm starting to get frustrated with people playing Toblerone. There always seems to be at least 2 on each time hammering away at their turrets constantly making them near impossible to kill, and they always place them in areas where you practially have to expose yourself to them.

Whenever that happens. Use characters like Pharah, Junkrat and snipers to take them out. Also, people should focus on getting rid of them together by using a tank to draw their fire. Sometimes I see people fail horribly at simply avoiding the turrets instead of just trying to destroy it together. Turrets go down pretty fast with a few dudes attacking it even with Tor trying to repair it.

MUnited83

For you.
Is DVa kinda terrible? Have tried using her and I just can't get anything going.

Likely I am just bad

she's awesome if you learn to play her

fOLlFf0.jpg

Use her boost constantly. Switch between ground and higher floors constantly, take some potshots close to people then run away, take another route entirely and do the same. Go behind the enemy backlines, wreck havoc. Use her shield to protect you of any projectile damage for a little bit, which is great against bastions or turrets(you can get close to them this way, and since the gun is technically a shotgun it will eat through bastions/turrets health super quickly). When out of the mech, you have a kickass pistol that is super accurate that you can use to kill people at a distance.

She's basically a tank version of Tracer.

Mupod

Last night I had the worst time as Reinhardt on Anubis because our randoms simply would not do anything about Symmetra's turrets. Even one of them just stops him in his tracks completely unless you drop the shield, and he can't reach them easily. I just said screw it, switched to Zarya and cleaned out the turrets AND the enemy team on my own. Still lost because they were all waiting for a Reinhardt shield to walk in behind at the middle choke point...seriously, fuck Hanzo 'mains'. Nobody cares about your k/d, do the objective.

nOoblet16

she's awesome if you learn to play her

fOLlFf0.jpg

Use her boost constantly. Switch between ground and higher floors constantly, take some potshots close to people then run away, take another route entirely and do the same. Go behind the enemy backlines, wreck havoc. Use her shield to protect you of any projectile damage for a little bit, which is great against bastions or turrets(you can get close to them this way, and since the gun is technically a shotgun it will eat through bastions/turrets health super quickly). When out of the mech, you have a kickass pistol that is super accurate that you can use to kill people at a distance.

She's basically a tank version of Tracer.

But she is not awesome in every map/game mode....regardless of how well you learn to play her. Which is what a lot of players need to realise, feels like some players would stick to her because she's their waifu rather than actually learning her and using her in appropriate situations. :p

If you team is lacking DPS in a KOTH mode or when you have to push the enemy then D.Va or even worse two of them is the last thing your team needs .

LiK

Last night I had the worst time as Reinhardt on Anubis because our randoms simply would not do anything about Symmetra's turrets. Even one of them just stops him in his tracks completely unless you drop the shield, and he can't reach them easily. I just said screw it, switched to Zarya and cleaned out the turrets AND the enemy team on my own. Still lost because they were all waiting for a Reinhardt shield to walk in behind at the middle choke point...seriously, fuck Hanzo 'mains'. Nobody cares about your k/d, do the objective.

I think most people who main snipers are pretty bad at doing objectives in general.

Ken

But she is not awesome in every map/game mode....regardless of how well you learn to play her. Which is what a lot of players need to realise, feels like some players would stick to her because she's their waifu rather than actually learning her and using her in appropriate situations.

Nothing wrong with waifu dedication.

I think most people who main snipers are pretty bad at doing objectives in general.

Eh, I think that's just intrinsic to snipers. You gain those sniper advantages but lose out on a man fighting for the point itself.

Copenap

Was asking about that earlier. Almost every defensive team I played last night consisted of two auto-turrets and a Bastion. In one map there was an additional Bastion for four turrets in all.

How are people attacking these formations?

I ran Junkrat and took out 10 turrets and it didn't make much of a difference because I couldn't really clear the board. It takes a lot longer to take one down than to set one up, and hard counters don't necessarily work once you double or triple up on turrets.

The cooldown on TB turret needs to be way longer. There is no punish for poorly placed turrets as you can pretty much always instantly place a new one. I guess they put him in as the newb friendly character as even a monkey will get a decent amount of kills with him but there should be at least some effort involved. Not saying that he is particularly strong or anything but just not really fleshed out.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
His shotgun blast and long range projectile are so devastating that it's an absolute waste of time for a Toblerone player to just stick by their turret. He's the character I'm best at and I'm always moving to hoover up scrap and shotgunning DPSs who underestimate me. It hardly takes any time to build a new one up to full level, it's not like TF2, so there's no sense in turtling.

Best of all is when a Reinhardt sets up in front my turret, letting me safely run around. Love those players.

Ken

The cooldown on TB turret needs to be way longer. There is no punish for poorly placed turrets as you can pretty much always instantly place a new one. I guess they put him in as the newb friendly character as even a monkey will get a decent amount of kills with him but there should be at least some effort involved. Not saying that he is particularly strong or anything but just not really fleshed out.

Level 1 turret is useless so it's the cooldown timer + time to build to level 2 which increases dramatically if it's getting shot. It's pretty rare for me to have time to get a new level 2 turret up within the same team fight against an aggressive team.

LiK

A good way to balance out Bastion's turret is make his reload animation slower. There should be a penalty for how much he can shoot.

Nyx

A Torbjorn dropping armor all game and killing people with his great gun, next to placing a turret ofc, is a great addition to any team imo and fun to play.

A Torbjorn standing near his turret all game hammering it when attacked, not so much...

I wish people would stop sticking to a single character, read the game help the damn team out and play the objective. I actually hope they add a team deathmatch or something so the people that play none objective gravitate towards that mode instead.

Kouichi

A Torbjorn dropping armor all game and killing people with his great gun, next to placing a turret ofc, is a great addition to any team imo and fun to play.

A Torbjorn standing near his turret all game hammering it when attacked, not so much...

Once I realized this, Torbjorn became one of the funnest characters to play.

nOoblet16

I agree about the turret cooldown, what do I get for taking out a turret? Absolutely nothing, since I've probably lost some health taking it out so either I fight the dwarf and die or run away. Either ways a new turret is up in 2 seconds and getting it up to level 2 doesn't take time at all like the one Torbjorn player above just mentioned.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
A good way to balance out Bastion's turret is make his reload animation slower. There should be a penalty for how much he can shoot.

Bastion is fine. Soldier 76, Reindhardt, McCree, Widowmaker, Pharah, and D.Va are all great counters.

Flintty

Best of all is when a Reinhardt sets up in front my turret, letting me safely run around. Love those players.

/HighFive

I do this as a priority, usually protecting any turrets and Bastion or Widowmaker if they're around. Such a winning combo. Even bigger winner is multiple Trollborn turrets behind a shield at a time, especially with Ult turret activated. We did this last night at the first choke point in the map, with great results.

Bastion is fine. Soldier 76, Reindhardt, McCree, Widowmaker, Pharah, and D.Va are all great counters.

If I can get close enough with Reinhardt I can easily negate his turret and ult. Had a tank mode Bastion come at us before and I just popped my ult to stun him then shoulder charge/smash :D Pretty much saved the team and let us make the final push on the payload.

MUnited83

For you.
But she is not awesome in every map/game mode....regardless of how well you learn to play her. Which is what a lot of players need to realise, feels like some players would stick to her because she's their waifu rather than actually learning her and using her in appropriate situations. :p

If you team is lacking DPS in a KOTH mode or when you have to push the enemy then D.Va or even worse two of them is the last thing your team needs .

Depends, but yeah, she is usually more useful on the payload/capture the point modes. That said, she can be very useful on KOTH as well, especially in the greek maps due to the spots where you can easily bump enemies of hills with her boost. And in Sanctum part of Nepal as well.
I'd also argue that using the shield to tank a crapload of damage in combination with the boost can certainly help pushing the enemy :)

nOoblet16

Depends, but yeah, she is usually more useful on the payload/capture the point modes. That said, she can be very useful on KOTH as well, especially in the greek maps due to the spots where you can easily bump enemies of hills with her boost. And in Sanctum part of Nepal as well.

Yea but I'd still rather have the DPS from someone like McCree or Reaper if we don't have either in our team and have a D.Va instead.

LiK

I know he's fine in damage output but he shouldn't be reloading so quickly for the amount of bullets he shoots. There should be a risk for it.

Oh hey, enemy is also close to the payload, let's have 3+ Bastions just mow down everyone.

Mupod

I mean I'm not saying go stand on the point as Widowmaker. But you can absolutely pin down the enemy team from reinforcing it, pick off their healers, etc. Hanzo players just seem like the absolute worst for being that guy fighting in a corner over a staircase. Because god forbid they might die during the push (never mind theres a mercy with a rez up) and ruin their stats.

Last night we barely lost a King's Row defense and had one going off in chat about how shit his team was and he was carrying us. Because he had gold eliminations (by 1). The other team called him out HARD on that one, I've never seen anyone get so buttflustered afterwards.

Copenap

Level 1 turret is useless so it's the cooldown timer + time to build to level 2 which increases dramatically if it's getting shot. It's pretty rare for me to have time to get a new level 2 turret up within the same team fight against an aggressive team.

You might be playing a different game then because for me bringing the turret up to level 2 takes pretty much no time.

I agree about the turret cooldown, what do I get for taking out a turret? Absolutely nothing, since I've probably lost some health taking it out so either I fight the dwarf and die or run away. Either ways a new turret is up in 2 seconds and getting it up to level 2 doesn't take time at all like the one Torbjorn player above just mentioned.

Torb isn't an issue, says Torb player.

Turrets are simply not fun on consoles. Taking one down should be rewarded with a delay before being able to place another. It's easy enough to play the class as it is.. at least give players some satisfaction for taking one down.

LiK

I mean I'm not saying go stand on the point as Widowmaker. But you can absolutely pin down the enemy team from reinforcing it, pick off their healers, etc. Hanzo players just seem like the absolute worst for being that guy fighting in a corner over a staircase. Because god forbid they might die during the push (never mind theres a mercy with a rez up) and ruin their stats.

Last night we barely lost a King's Row defense and had one going off in chat about how shit his team was and he was carrying us. Because he had gold eliminations (by 1). The other team called him out HARD on that one, I've never seen anyone get so buttflustered afterwards.

I hate Hanzo players in general as well mainly for that annoying Ultimate.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
http://i.imgur.com/mZjp1VH.png[IMG]

Its the most meta heavy map in the game, you play the top hero's or you lose. Thats boring as hell.[/QUOTE]

That seems like a ridiculous statement to me. How do you even define "top" heroes in the context of that one map? McCree is undoubtedly the "top hero" in competitive play right now, yet there are none in the game you lost. I've also played and won on Lijang with absurd comps as well. Almost anything is viable in this game in pub play. Nothing about Lijang makes it an exception to that.

nOoblet16

It takes 5 hits to level up a turret, that's nothing.

Most times when we've come across a Torbjorn/Bastion fortified defense the turret is placed well and it becomes useless to take it out unless the Bastion is killed at the same time followed by a push from my team otherwise it goes up again in no time.

Rize_21

Man, I don't know about Pharah being a good counter to Bastion, her rockets are so loud, I use to lose a good chunk of hp when I go against him(2 rockets+concussive blast), no matter how far away I am.

nOoblet16

Man, I don't know about Pharah being a good counter to Bastion, her rockets are so loud, I use to lose a good chunk of hp when I go against him(2 rockets+concussive blast), no matter how far away I am.

Yea I don't think she is a good counter, her rockets are loud and slow.
And bastion worth half his salt would move away before she even has a chance to kill him, or he'd just kill her since she is so squishy.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Soldier, Reinhardt counter to Bastion? Wut.

For Soldier lead in with a grenade launch and follow up with burst fire. Normally can kill a Bastion before he can heal himself, put down a healing field near you if you need it. Reinhardt, get close with the shield, then use the charge to kill the Bastion. Both are strats I use regularly.

Flintty

I wish I can get used to Reinhardt but I find him hard to play. Too damn slow for me.

He is slow and heavy but it's all about being that barrier. Quite often if you're stood there shielding some dps it creates a mental barrier for people and they are reluctant to push, which is quite funny. Timing your abilities is really important. Your charge isn't just for offence, it can be a great defence i.e. pushing out an exploding mech or Bastion tank. It's no good if dos and heals aren't supporting you though. Crash in unaided and you'll get team raped more often than not.

Ken

You might be playing a different game then because for me bringing the turret up to level 2 takes pretty much no time.

It takes 5 hits to level up a turret, that's nothing.

Most times when we've come across a Torbjorn/Bastion fortified defense the turret is placed well and it becomes useless to take it out unless the Bastion is killed at the same time followed by a push from my team otherwise it goes up again in no time.

5 hits is pretty much half to an entire team fight duration.

Like yeah, if your turret died somewhere over there away from the capture point then you can probably set up a new one before getting rushed. Most Point As don't have that much distance though. If you set it up in the courtyard where the team fight is going to happen, the chance of getting a new one up in a good spot is pretty low, even with Molten Core hammer speed.

ex. Hanamura A I put it behind the wooden gate. If that goes down the enemy is probably already in the capture point. I could try to make a new one but a) the turret starts shooting once it's dropped so the enemy will shoot at it, making level 2 almost impossible to get, or b) prepare for defending B.

nOoblet16

And its a hell of a lot easier to attack or defend and protect your squishies when you've got a wallhack running.

The wallhack is so helpful, aiming at the right spot at the door/corner just waiting for enemies to come out, I can't believe someone here said it's the most useless ult in the game lol

LiK

I counter Bastion with Pharah all the time with success. Just keep flying around him while shooting missles and you can take him out in a few direct hits. Stay mobile and most Bastion players will have a hard time hitting you. Not sure how much better Bastion plays on PC but that's my experience on PS4.

Having counters predicated on the idea of not being seen doesn't feel like a solid counter to me. If Bastion sees you, you're going to be chewed up. And If Bastion has a Widowmaker on their team you have to assume as much. Multiple Bastions just makes it even worse. Add Reinhardt into the equation and its just fucked.

Faced a team of 5 Torjborns and 1 Roadhog (or some other tank or Junkrat) on Volskaya. Objective A was difficult to capture, but a lucky Hanzo ult cleared most of the enemy team. Objective B, though was pretty much impossible for my team. I know there's a way to beat those annoying teams, I just wasn't aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom