• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I always swap to Winston as well when there are annoying snipers on the loose, it doesn't always work out but generally it's worth making their life as miserable as possible.

Xevren

Haven't been able to play since the middle of last week, stupid life getting in the way. Will be able to play again tomorrow woooooo.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Lovely people.

NyPugdN.png

Had this guy do nothing but insult my friend and call her a cunt over and over just because she's a high level. She never even insulted the guy once.

peakish

Objective kills and objective time give me numbers... but i'm still not sure what those numbers actually mean?
Objective kills is eliminations made while contesting an area (or of players within that area?). Objective time is the time you've spent pushing the payload or contesting.

It's a rough measure of how much you were fighting for the point.

darklin0

Banned
Lovely people.

NyPugdN.png

Had this guy do nothing but insult my friend and call her a cunt over and over just because she's a high level. She never even insulted the guy once.
Some one called me a no life and I was like, "I am living the good life dawg!" I have thicker skin than most but that was my experience with similar comments.

Some people are just mad as hell when they are losing or just assholes. Best to report and block that kind of people.

Bruno

Lovely people.

NyPugdN.png

Me and my girl both being 90+ we get nothing but toxic comments every other game. I REALLY wish I could disable the chat because I just don't like looking at it.

Got this game randomly and only played a few minutes. A bit overwhelming since I jumped in with 0 interest or anything lol. Love the art style, now to mess around with characters more.

Also the joint Asia server is going to be fun. Mix of English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese and who knows what else every match.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Anyone have a comment on how Blizzard makes maddeningly addictive games? Diablo 3, Hearthstone, and now this. How do they have that secret sauce no one else has? I know they're good, but are they experts behind making their stuff addictive? Gotta be. I'm not staying up 4 hours past bedtime for fucking Battlefield.

Beats me. Though in the past year they went from not on my radar to one of my fave devs. HotS, D3, and now Overwatch made that happen.

Maximo

Anyone else got a weird bug where some of the Hero's on your team disappear and left with nothing but their weapon model?

This is what team work do.

YFMnXJD.jpg

Was playing with some PS4 GAFers and we combined Zarya's gravity pull with my Pharah's barrage resulting in a complete team kill and us taking the point.

Litterally where my rockets are going was their entire team.

Awesome games tonight guys!

Anyone else got a weird bug where some of the Hero's on your team disappear and left with nothing but their weapon model?

Think it's a lag issue. Sometimes this can cause your client to unload some player and projectile models.

Haven't had this issue in Overwatch yet, but I know in TF2 I'd type "record fix; stop", which (appeared to) fix the issue.

Soma

thanks for the games tonight, ps4gaf. had some good games especially that final push back on gibralter.

having a coordinated team carrying me to play with for once was nice

IbukiLordSA

That moment when you have saved up 1000 gold to buy that one costume you really want only to get distracted and in the process your 2 year old decides to buy a bunch of random costumes for a character you don't play :(

Nothing imbalanced about a bunch of sitting ducks getting shot. There are thousands of better ways that all of those people could have played that.

This is especially true of the Pharah: People just think "weeee I can fly" when anyone who's played Quake or Unreal Tournament for five minutes knows that you are the most vulnerable when you're in the air.

I mean, there was one person standing still. The rest were moving, and the Phara ate a headshot before she got off the ground.

Competent Widows get crazy killstreaks all the time, and I fully expect her to be a huge issue in comp when the game's been out longer and the skill level goes up. Especially with the inevitable McCree nerf down the road.

Last night something similar happened to me, suddenly the character who I was playing as, namely Zarya, decided to disappear completely, leaving just the weapon hanging in the air in front of me. I moved around a bit and she reappeared.

Fugu

I mean, there was one person standing still. The rest were moving, and the Phara ate a headshot before she got off the ground.

Competent Widows get crazy killstreaks all the time, and I fully expect her to be a huge issue in comp when the game's been out longer and the skill level goes up. Especially with the inevitable McCree nerf down the road.
They were moving, but nobody was putting any effort into making sure they weren't hit from a Widow from basically the most well-known Widow starting position on that map.

Widow is an issue but it's an issue inherent to having snipers in the game, which is that the main counter for Widow is another Widow. Her damage isn't fundamentally broken in a game where a lot of things kill in one hit; if you toned her down you'd have to tone down a whole lot of other things at the same time. Really, the best fix for Widow would be to make Hanzo better so every game isn't just Widow plus five people against Widow plus five people.

As far as competitive play is concerned, as long as one team has a sniper the other team is going to have a sniper.

Me and my team went all Toblerone on a cart defense map and won. It was the sleaziest thing ever. Then I levelled up, opened up a lootbox, and got a legendary--Steambot Bastion.

Coincidence? I think not.

besada

Banned
Whenever I play Mercy, I try and start the game next to our Widow, because I figure she needs a damage buff during that opening fusillade:)

They were moving, but nobody was putting any effort into making sure they weren't hit from a Widow from basically the most well-known Widow starting position on that map.

Widow is an issue but it's an issue inherent to having snipers in the game, which is that the main counter for Widow is another Widow. Her damage isn't fundamentally broken in a game where a lot of things kill in one hit; if you toned her down you'd have to tone down a whole lot of other things at the same time. Really, the best fix for Widow would be to make Hanzo better so every game isn't just Widow plus five people against Widow plus five people.

As far as competitive play is concerned, as long as one team has a sniper the other team is going to have a sniper.

No, it is an issue with her balance. You don't see Snipers run 24/7 in TF2 Sixes matches, because he has actual downsides and there are actually ways to handle him beyond "out-snipe them." Competitive Overwatch is more or less Trading Snipers: The Game.

Widowmaker is the single most broken sniper class I've ever seen in an FPS. It's just absurd how powerful she is and how many tools she has at her disposal.

Ketch

The problem with widow is the entire meta now revolves around her, at least in pubs it's normally fine. In groups, game may as well be called widowwatch.

yea, pretty much this. im glad ranked is not out right now because it would basically just be OP widows all day. On the plus side though I got lots of justification to practice genji pretty much every game.

kagamin

Me and my team went all Toblerone on a cart defense map and won. It was the sleaziest thing ever. Then I levelled up, opened up a lootbox, and got a legendary--Steambot Bastion.

Coincidence? I think not.

Man I don't know why people have trouble with that team, I've never lost once against a team of 6 Torbjörns, and then one of the times when we got near the end they all switched to Winston and we still won.

ISOM

Lovely people.

NyPugdN.png

Someone called me mentally handicapped when I was playing D.va. Apparently I was the entire reason we couldn't take point b on Hanamura even though they themselves were offering no resistance of their own. I have had more experiences with assholes on this game than probably any other fps multiplayer.

Man I don't know why people have trouble with that team, I've never lost once against a team of 6 Torbjörns, and then one of the times when we got near the end they all switched to Winston and we still won.

I think it just needs more coordination then most are prepared for. If you can't knock out a Toblerone and turret consistently, they'll just rebuild and replace everything and all is for naught. Basically, an asymmetrical team requires an asymmetrical comp which goes against Overwatch's recommended DPS/DPS/DPS/DPS/tank/healer sort of meta, throwing most people off their game.

The thing that makes it super tough is the builders'll all have ults and armor for days if the enemy doesn't adapt immediately. A lone Pharah, Hanzo, or Widow can only do so much, and Reinhardt's shield can't last forever against all of the turrets/mobile Toblerones. So then it becomes a meatgrinder, further demoralising them, until there's a mad rush to finish.

Doubt I could beat all-Toblerone as someone without a premade group. Not really looking forward to facing one when it happens to me. But we'll see.

It felt so dirty.

Fugu

The problem with widow is the entire meta now revolves around her, at least in pubs it's normally fine. In groups, game may as well be called widowwatch.
Widow is kept in check by the fact that she can't directly accomplish any of the objectives actually necessary to finishing the game; she can only lopside things in her favor by killing people.

When McCree is nerfed and people have more freedom to move around the map, Widow players will be forced to use more caution. However, as long as Hanzo is inferior to her in most respects she's still going to be ubiquitous. I see no way around that without seriously increasing the amount of area denial possible, which I don't see happening.

EDIT: For what it's worth, it wouldn't surprise me if Widow was nerfed -- people seem to want snipers to not be hyper-relevant in this game -- but I disagree that it's necessarily a good thing. The clip that started this discussion showed a bunch of unskilled players being killed by a moderately skilled Widow; that doesn't represent anything.

desverger

Yep. A good Widow who can land headshots reliably just shuts down a whole team alone.

What's worse though is that you usually need a good Widow to countersnipe the other Widow. If you don't have that in your team, well, not much you can do.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Really happy with my Symmetra win ratio proper turret placement and some pressure jumping in and zapping people with the hand laser really does wonders for the team.
YKcwFOa.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom