• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCree's nerf coming before D.Va's buff

He seems to know exactly what McCree's change will be already since he calls it "straight forward"

The nerf will be a simple damage reduction on fan the hammer so he can't drop tanks like a bad habit. He will still be potent against non-tanks, though, I suspect. I feel if McCree is nerfed too hard the true villain will be unleashed, the good Genji.

BigDug13

I was always pick Torbjorn on KotH. Sure it sucks but I want to make it work. :(

I use him as a support class in KOTH. Lots of armor everywhere so I try to buff the team. I drop a level 1 turret everytime it comes up and don't upgrade it if I'm running into something offensively. I'll only bother upgrading it if we have the point and no attackers are incoming. Otherwise the level 1 turret is a distracting 28dps 150 hit point annoyance that never misses and replenishes my scrap stock everytime it dies. I try to keep the team with the bonus 75hp armor and play him like an attacker offensively. His ult turns him into a 500 hp tank with fast attack speed. The level 3 turret is just a bonus. He does 140dps at range that can headshot for double. His close up shotgun is even better.

He can be a fine offensive character if you treat the turret as secondary and don't lock yourself into the mindset that you have to pound it to level 2 everytime. The free scrap from the easy turret death is actually quite useful every 5 secs.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The nerf will be a simple damage reduction on fan the hammer so he can't drop tanks like a bad habit. He will still be potent against non-tanks, though, I suspect. I feel if McCree is nerfed too hard the true villain will be unleashed, the good Genji.

But then the rise of anti-flanker mei will finally arrive!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What's you Least favourite to favourite maps?
12. Volskaya Industries: Standard CP has outed itself as a weak fit for Overwatch already with the low team sizes, and Volskaya's needlessly complex alternate routes and vast open spaces create loads of unused terrain and bland objective zones.

11. Hanamura: Bad mode. First points hard choke is less interesting than the one you can find on Anubis, though it's not as bad as the one on Volskaya. Second point is an absolute mess. The room is way too open, the approach paths don't bleed into each other well, and there's no real terrain between the defensive spawn point and the capture point.

10. Temple of Anubis: Same mode problems except there's actually just loads of space on this map that feels inaccessible or unusable, particularly on the first point. Second point is actually enjoyable though with the trench set up.

9. Watchpoint Gibraltar: Completely uninteresting visually. Very few interesting encounter points other than area between the first and second checkpoints.

8. Numbani: This map just does not click for me. Most of the side routes feel too enclosed or distant from the main path that the payload takes. The distance between the first capture point and offensive spawn is needlessly long so most of it goes unused. Hate the payload's push towards the end. It's the only real place defense can hold up well but it's a total drag.

7. Ilios: My least favorite KotH map. Strategically things play out in a very similar way on this map almost every single game. Well is a disaster too with that control point and the Overtime rules.

6. Hollywood: Not sure this level is really communicating its theme very well. Capture point area is great but the path the cart follows is just really underwhelming for me.

5. Lijiang Tower: Love Control Center. Night Market feels unique but it leans a little too heavily towards a very small space that almost all fighting happens around. Garden is good too, but like most KotH maps has too many bottomless pits.

4. Dorado: Good all around. Strong visually, especially around the market. Very last push to the end is kind of a problem with how the defending team respawns.

3. Nepal: Really just enjoy how this map sizes itself. Encounter areas don't feel too big or too small. Vertical space actually has an impact around the control points and is something that impacts every player/character. Sanctum needs some kind of low or partial terrain on the control point's open pit side.

2. King's Row: Just really solid corridors and branching paths. First CP point is good. Multiple hold points for defense along payload route.

1. Route 66: When this map got added in late on beta it almost just completely won me over on the entire game. Incredible visual detail/skybox work. Loads of small skirmish locations that blend well with the larger path through the map. Defensive positions seem more flexible. Don't really find points of frustration while pushing.

R0ckman

Winston make Genji go bye bye.

nOoblet16

Stand behind the Reinhardt.
I am amazed at the number of people who don't seem to understand that this is Reinhardt's function. I play as him a lot, and half the time no one will come stand behind my shield. Taking turrets is easy if you actually use your Reinhardt. You'll probably find him standing in front of the turret, wishing someone would come along and shoot some of the people focusing on him. But no, keep flanking and getting killed by those turrets.
We are talking 3 Turrets set up around the last point in Volskaya covering each other, with a good Winston and Genji to mess up anyone standing at the back trying to take out turrets slowly. And don't forget the 3 Torbjorns because the good ones don't just sit around but instead fight and give armour packs.

It's easy to say some things, like you could stand next to a turret with a Reinhardt, but not as easy in practice when the opposing team knows how to play around their weakness. The best counter would've been to just ditch sniper and have 2-3 D.Vas for the Turrets.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
12: Hanamura
11: Temple of Anubis
10: Lijiang Tower
9: Nepal
8: Illios
7: Numbani
6: Route 66
5: Dorado
4: Kings Row
3: Hollywood
2: Volskaya Industries
1: Watchpoint Gibraltar

Gibraltar is such an incredible map, I almost always have a good match on it.

Adventures in pub matches: I join a team on Route 66 attack, and first pick after my standard Pharah is a Torbjorn. Even the randoms I was with had enough sense to ask "Torbjorn on attack?" Another player in the group playing Reinhardt said "Trust us, we have a plan."

Yeah, you can probably guess where this is going. Their fool-proof, can't-fail plan to, you're not going to believe this, build a turret on top of the payload and have Reinhardt shield it, didn't even get us past the first checkpoint.

All of the rest of the group, of course, had to eat crow about how wrong we had been that such a plan could have possibly failed.

NimbusD

I am amazed at the number of people who don't seem to understand that this is Reinhardt's function. I play as him a lot, and half the time no one will come stand behind my shield. Taking turrets is easy if you actually use your Reinhardt. You'll probably find him standing in front of the turret, wishing someone would come along and shoot some of the people focusing on him. But no, keep flanking and getting killed by those turrets.
Worse than that is someone who plays him and doesn't understand that's his function. Putting up your shield and waiting around the corner from the action while you're whole team anxiously waits behind you for you to move is the most frustrating thing in the world.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
7: Dorado
6: Numbani
5: Hollywood
3: Nepal
2: Lijang Tower
1: Illios

Don't like the other maps

Raptor

It's all about taking advantage of her amazing mobility. Her boost is great and the cool down is really short, making it perfect for flying in, causing some trouble and then getting out. Her damage output really drops off from mid to long range though, so you want to take advantage of that boost coupled with her defence matrix to nullify damage while boosting in close to enemies and taking them out.

She seems to be designed more for disrupting than getting kills but I rack up the kills with her. Generally play her similar to other flanking heroes and try to get to the sides or behind the opposition to take them out unaware. Her ult is great for clearing areas and getting back control of objective points. Even better if you manage to take out a few enemies at the same time but don't expect it.

This is good stuff.

Thanks, willl start using here and cause some chaos :p

12: Temple of Anubis
11: Ilios (note: Lightouse and Ruins are actually pretty fun, but I cannot STAND Well. With Well replaced with something good, this'd bump up a few places.)
10: Hanamura
9: Volskaya
8: Nepal (Village is a bit of a dud)
7: Route 66
6: Watchpoint Gibraltar
5: Liajing Tower
4: Dorado
3: Hollywood
2: King's Row
1: Mumbani

Gibraltar benefits from having a really strong start and a really strong finish, but I think that the middle is very very mediocre, so I might have dropped it down a little much. Mumbani is just a TON of fun. Really, the hybrids are the best. Hollywood could use a rejiggering during the Wild West Town section. And Dorado is crazy easy to spawn trap people on; fix that, you've got the best map in the game.

Luigi87

McCree's nerf coming before D.Va's buff

He seems to know exactly what McCree's change will be already since he calls it "straight forward"

That is interesting.
Honestly among any possible D.Va buff, I think most I'd want is some reduced cooldown on her Defense Matrix. It's essential to her tanking, but 10s is a very long time. Even 8s would be better.

It's all about taking advantage of her amazing mobility. Her boost is great and the cool down is really short, making it perfect for flying in, causing some trouble and then getting out. Her damage output really drops off from mid to long range though, so you want to take advantage of that boost coupled with her defence matrix to nullify damage while boosting in close to enemies and taking them out.

She seems to be designed more for disrupting than getting kills but I rack up the kills with her. Generally play her similar to other flanking heroes and try to get to the sides or behind the opposition to take them out unaware. Her ult is great for clearing areas and getting back control of objective points. Even better if you manage to take out a few enemies at the same time but don't expect it.

I play her a lot. This is the right style. Don't try to outright tank with her unless absolutely necessary. Her defense matrix will stop a Pharaoh ult easily which can help out the team. I'll add: I use her to pick off turrets and Bastions in a pinch. Defense matrix + boost to turret then blast at close range. You'll die but the turret or Bastion generally also dies. If not her pistol finishes the job.
Use the same technique to push up to and pick off junkrats, Mcrees, etc.

Also, her pistol when out of mech does a lot of damage even at range. If you lose your mech start rapidly backing away and blasting away to get your mech back in no time

KarmaCow

I use him as a support class in KOTH. Lots of armor everywhere so I try to buff the team. I drop a level 1 turret everytime it comes up and don't upgrade it if I'm running into something offensively. I'll only bother upgrading it if we have the point and no attackers are incoming. Otherwise the level 1 turret is a distracting 28dps 150 hit point annoyance that never misses and replenishes my scrap stock everytime it dies. I try to keep the team with the bonus 75hp armor and play him like an attacker offensively. His ult turns him into a 500 hp tank with fast attack speed. The level 3 turret is just a bonus. He does 140dps at range that can headshot for double. His close up shotgun is even better.

He can be a fine offensive character if you treat the turret as secondary and don't lock yourself into the mindset that you have to pound it to level 2 everytime. The free scrap from the easy turret death is actually quite useful every 5 secs.

Well that's how normally play Torb since babysitting the turret is a waste. You're rarely going to be able out heal a turret under attack and it's trivial to get one setup again.

What's your handle

To be clear, I always pick it at the start unless there something crucial missing on the team and switch out if it's clearly not working but I when it works, it's a lot of fun.

I don't think I can actually rank the maps in order, but I will say that King of the Hill maps are probably my least favourite. It feels like whoever takes the point first is the ultimate winner of the round and often the match; they seem to accentuate differences in skill, meaning you feel like you're steamrolling or you feel salty as fuck afterwards. I've had good games on KOTH maps (the one game where the enemy team went all Solider 76 for two rounds was kind of funny, and the reward for breaking them with Zarya was immense), but it feels like I enjoy them less than the others.

Sorral

I just killed a Genji on Lucio.... sigh

i might change my jump binding for Genji to do that. he is near impossible to hit when jumping. i was with a group who couldn't kill a jumping Genji no matter what.

I sit my jumping on R1 for all heroes and haven't looked back. Aiming while jumping/flying is a lot easier this way and you actually go higher on Pharah if you use the jump button instead of the default hover button.

I should upload this game on Genji where I jumped all the time and had a 24 kill streak/0 deaths going.

Xeteh

I don't play Mei much because I tend to fill the Tank/Support roles more often but man. I legit love playing her, she's so much fun.

ramyeon

I play her a lot. This is the right style. Don't try to outright tank with her unless absolutely necessary. Her defense matrix will stop a Pharaoh ult easily which can help out the team. I'll add: I use her to pick off turrets and Bastions in a pinch. Defense matrix + boost to turret then blast at close range. You'll die but the turret or Bastion generally also dies. If not her pistol finishes the job.
Use the same technique to push up to and pick off junkrats, Mcrees, etc.

Also, her pistol when out of mech does a lot of damage even at range. If you lose your mech start rapidly backing away and blasting away to get your mech back in no time
Yeah, her pistol out of the mech packs a surprising punch. I've taken out even tanky characters like Roadhog with it when they're unaware.

Uthred

Is not contesting a payload so people cant push it forward unopposed some cunning strat I dont understand or the idiocy I suspect?

Sorral

Meh, as Genji, you have a high chance of getting out of the flash with the dash attack and honestly, you shouldn't get flashed unless a McCree is right around the corner on him. I don't really feel that McCree is a good counter to a good Genji and I don't even consider myself good yet.

Winston make Genji go bye bye.

Now this I agree with. Freaking Tesla Coil up Genji's mechanical ass, man.

XaosWolf

Had an absolute blast with Junkrat and a buddy D.Va today. =D

We make a good flanking team whilst he complains about our teammates every two seconds. (Even when they're doing well)

I play Junkrat as a nuisance character mostly, with some Rein and sniper murdering mixed in. Dunno if that's the right way to play him but it's worked pretty well so far and my ratio is happily even. =)

Got the POTG intro with the unfortunate ricochet and it was played wonderfully where I killed myself and Mei with my own ultimate and then then blew up 3 others with my post-death bombs.

And as a final note to enemy Reinhardts everywhere: I'm sorry. Also please don't charge me because you will be trapped and kaboomed.

And to all friendly Reins: Love you bros. Keep up the good work.

Edit: Oh! Booby trapping the enemy doorway never gets old. Junky and Mei are officially Team Asshole. =D

Any other fellow Junkrats, please give your sage advice!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Level 73.

2 legendary skins and 1 is that god awful Punk Tracer skin.

Only 4 different colors from heroes i don't even play, so i'm mostly running around with standard skin.

I'm done with opening loot boxes.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay am I missing something super obvious? Whenever the join group prompt pops up in game, neither pressing Y or entering Y in the chat actually joins the group. How do I?

Vestal

Had an absolute blast with Junkrat and a buddy D.Va today. =D

We make a good flanking team whilst he complains about our teammates every two seconds. (Even when they're doing well)

I play Junkrat as a nuisance character mostly, with some Rein and sniper murdering mixed in. Dunno if that's the right way to play him but it's worked pretty well so far and my ratio is happily even. =)

Got the POTG intro with the unfortunate ricochet and it was played wonderfully where I killed myself and Mei with my own ultimate and then then blew up 3 others with my post-death bombs.

And as a final note to enemy Reinhardts everywhere: I'm sorry. Also please don't charge me because you will be trapped and kaboomed.

And to all friendly Reins: Love you bros. Keep up the good work.

Edit: Oh! Booby trapping the enemy doorway never gets old. Junky and Mei are officially Team Asshole. =D

Any other fellow Junkrats, please give your sage advice!

Junkrat is about being annoying. Jumping around, throwing nades and traps. Being unpredictable.

7: Dorado
6: Numbani
5: Hollywood
3: Nepal
2: Lijang Tower
1: Illios

Don't like the other maps
Top three taste
tumblr_o6sj0qnWvw1r1mwmdo1_500.jpg

Rue

Level 73.

2 legendary skins and 1 is that god awful Punk Tracer skin.

Only 4 different colors from heroes i don't even play, so i'm mostly running around with standard skin.

I'm done with opening loot boxes.

This is weird to me because every 10 levels (10/20/30/40/50 I'm 52 now) I have gotten a Legendary skin. I've got 5 and I thought it was like this for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom