• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question before I make the purchase...

Is this game fun for those of you that don't have anyone to play with? None of my friends have gaming PCs and none of them are even very interested in this game. I really want to play but I am worried about regularly queuing solo

Yes! I've mostly been queuing solo and have been having a great time. The game is really fun, even when you're on the losing side. In my experience, the matchmaking usually does a pretty damn good job at creating even matches (also thanks to clever level design).

Valahart

Hey guys, I'm a total noob on playing pc games and even more on playing any FPS. I've been playing Overwatch for a few days and absolutely loving it. I'm surprisingly quickly getting used to PC controls, however I can't shake this feeling that using WASD to move is just wrong, you just can't move on all directions as you would using an analog stick. On the other hand, aiming with an analog stick is blatantly slow, hinders movement, just awful overall, being the mouse the clear best choice.

What if the game could be played with a Nunchuk style controller on one hand, and a mouse on the other? Has anyone ever tried that? I know someone must have but why isn't that a thing?

Looking for serious answers as I'm genuinely curious on the topic.

My team wins anubis defense because I had half of the other team trying to kill me while I was widowmaker...and I was barely landing anything due to the pressure.

Well, I guess sometimes being high target bait works. And still got a gold medal with 5 objective kills...

R0ckman

Hey guys, I'm a total noob on playing pc games and even more on playing any FPS. I've been playing Overwatch for a few days and absolutely loving it. I'm surprisingly quickly getting used to PC controls, however I can't shake this feeling that using WASD to move is just wrong, you just can't move on all directions as you would using an analog stick. On the other hand, aiming with an analog stick is blatantly slow, hinders movement, just awful overall, being the mouse the clear best choice.

What if the game could be played with a Nunchuk style controller on one hand, and a mouse on the other? Has anyone ever tried that? I know someone must have but why isn't that a thing?

I've tried it but its not comfortable unless sitting at a desk. It DOES work great by the way, and simplifies the controls. Get a gaming mouse for the extra moves and you're golden!

Quick question before I make the purchase...

Is this game fun for those of you that don't have anyone to play with? None of my friends have gaming PCs and none of them are even very interested in this game. I really want to play but I am worried about regularly queuing solo

If you are mainly solo queuing, I would be hesitant. The below average skill level and inability to play the objective with random players makes it an incredibly frustrating experience. I try to always group with 5 others.

This is just in my own personal experience, yours may differ. Also GAF I believe has plenty of active players on PC; Maybe get involved with them?

Son Of D

So, how long until Reaper gets a skin that makes him look like Malthael from Diablo 3?

I mean, Reaper even shares his pose. It would be a perfect fit.

Won't be surprised if we start seeing crossover costumes in the future. Although I'm not too familiar with Blizzard's IPs so I have no idea what other options there could be.

hey, i know this has probably been answered a million times, but i only just got the game last night so I'm a little behind.

is there like a comprehensive guide to each character that someone would recommend? i played for a few hours last night and had a lot of fun, but the only character i really clicked with was mercy. i messed around with a few others but nothing was really as intuitive as mercy and maybe soldier were.

Skii

I pretty much make it my job to take out bastions and turrets as D.Va. Bastion is real easy to make a none factor. I even take him out in mechless form from time to time.

McCree can die in a fire though. That fan nerf can't come soon enough.

Didn't know she was good against turret characters.

It is odd to say a character i jsn't viable because "x" character has better firepower when that's not all that this game is about.

I have carried teams on public games using D.va.

I just wanted to know her role as I can't really figure it out. So she's good against turret characters and is used to "disrupt" rather than to get kills.

I'll give her another try tomorrow morning. Hopefully I do better with her.

ExVicis

hey, i know this has probably been answered a million times, but i only just got the game last night so I'm a little behind.

is there like a comprehensive guide to each character that someone would recommend? i played for a few hours last night and had a lot of fun, but the only character i really clicked with was mercy. i messed around with a few others but nothing was really as intuitive as mercy and maybe soldier were.

I don't know how much of a guide you're looking for but someone linked this earlier in the thread.

http://imgur.com/649yyFZ

It's pretty good as far as a guide to characters.

Fugu

It's difficult to do this while still retaining enough button access. Also, the mouse provides analog turning so I feel that there's no benefit once you get used to WASD.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Didn't know she was good against turret characters.

I just wanted to know her role as I can't really figure it out. So she's good against turret characters and is used to "disrupt" rather than to get kills.

I'll give her another try tomorrow morning. Hopefully I do better with her.

Defense matrix, boost, run into people, shoot them, boost out.

Though really, widowmaker is better at actually taking turrets and bastion out if they're obvious. D.va can get to those little corners that they like to hide in better though.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Bleh. Rough night playing with a few friends. Some rude dudes on the other teams and some lackluster teammates and of course a good amount of poor play on my part. I've probably just been playing too much but the game's been making me kind of bitter lately. Might be a good idea to cut back a bit until ranked where at least it should hopefully be consistently good games.

Antiwhippy

Doesn't the defence matrix only last for like 1-2 seconds?

Which is enough time for you to boost into their face.

Like really, I feel like a lot of her play revolves around juggling defense matrix and boost to get in and out.

DrArchon

Hell is trying to push the payload when 3 of your teammates decide to play sniper and the best player on the enemy team is a Tracer that as it out for your Mercy (me in this case).

Seriously, Blizzard needs to put its foot down and say no to multiples of characters on teams. Not because they're too hard to beat, but because they're too easy to beat and too many fuckheads are gonna double down on Widowmaker and Hanzo because they think they're "MLGpro" and want kills instead of wins.

BigDug13

Hell is trying to push the payload when 3 of your teammates decide to play sniper and the best player on the enemy team is a Tracer that as it out for your Mercy (me in this case).

Seriously, Blizzard needs to put its foot down and say no to multiples of characters on teams. Not because they're too hard to beat, but because they're too easy to beat and too many fuckheads are gonna double down on Widowmaker and Hanzo because they think they're "MLGpro" and want kills instead of wins.

It also makes the game boring as fuck when you face off against multiples of the same class.

darklin0

Banned

The day they take away my 5Rein1Lucìo comp is the day all joy will be removed from the world.

Sorral

So were there any hidden updates to the last patch?

People who prefer Mystery Man over Gambler also like Justin Beiber.

That's tame tbh. The Gambler outfit fits him so much and man, I had a friend that wanted the yellow one which screams "HELllooo! SHOOT ME PLZ"

R0ckman

I can see why McCree needs nerfed I almost single handedly got the payload to the next area during a really bad choke point where my team kept wiping.

ramyeon

I was fully prepared to stay up late and play last night, despite having a huge day of work today. It was around 1AM and then I got put in a Defence game with pubs and 3 fucking Hanzos.

Quit out right then and there and stopped. Probably for the better all things considered.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2016-06-0703_36_05-blhuagx.png

patchday

Bleh. Rough night playing with a few friends. Some rude dudes on the other teams and some lackluster teammates and of course a good amount of poor play on my part. I've probably just been playing too much but the game's been making me kind of bitter lately. Might be a good idea to cut back a bit until ranked where at least it should hopefully be consistently good games.

Ranked will still be based on mmr so, in theory, your play experience should be near identical

I just try to fill when I join new team and ofc usually 90% of the time its support and I'm having a blast.

Satch

Banned
ok dva stans, im about to spam dva to try to learn her like i did with reinhardt. what are the mistakes that most dva players make that i should try to not do

ramyeon

what are the mistakes that most dva players make that i should try to not do
Trying to tank like Reinhardt is a big mistake. As is taking the opposition on straight on.

There's been a bunch of good advice for D.va posted by both others and myself over the last few pages.

D.va's defense matrix doesn't just block damage, it nullifies it. That dragon arrow isn't so threatening when it gets zapped.

But yeah, it's not about tanking damage, but avoiding it until you get into a better position. D.va is hugely mobile and D.va players should use this to their advantage at every opportunity.

D.va, my most-played hero, getting a buff?

aP9m9ya.gif

I can't wait for a d.Va buff. I really like playing that character but I always feel like I'd be helping the team more by picking someone else.

kendrid

Banned
Last night I was put with 4 Bastions when we were attackers. That went well....

That wasn't the only time multiples ruined the matches last night. One, maybe two of the same hero per team should be seriously considered.

ramyeon

I can't wait for a d.Va buff. I really like playing that character but I always feel like I'd be helping the team more by picking someone else.
I mean a D.va buff will be fantastic, but I almost always feel like I'm helping my team and sometimes even carrying them with D.va as is. I think she has a lot more utility than a lot of people give her credit for.

ExVicis

Edit: Oh. I am a member now. When did that happen?!
Welcome to the Big Boy Club! Remember to get GAF Gold now that you're in!

ok dva stans, im about to spam dva to try to learn her like i did with reinhardt. what are the mistakes that most dva players make that i should try to not do
Remember to hit your defense matrix all the time (that's E). You can use it to shrug off even Bastion hits. As well you can boost with it on, remember that if you're boosting towards the enemy. Also important, boosting into someone causes a knockback and some damage! You can finish off fleeing enemies this way you do it just right resulting in basically a tackle kill. Finally you're not a tank, you're a Robotic Winston. You're pretty much there to harass and fuck up behind the enemy's defenses.

Apathy

Won't be surprised if we start seeing crossover costumes in the future. Although I'm not too familiar with Blizzard's IPs so I have no idea what other options there could be.

Well for sure the lost vikings would be used for torb
Jaina for mei
Patchwerk or The Butcher for Roadhohog
Grommash or Grom or Tychus or Arthas or Lich King for Rein
Sylvanas or Kerrigan for Widow
Nova for Tracer
Tosh or Cairne for Winston
Morales or Auriel for Mercy
Raynor or Tychus for Mcree
Tassadar or Zeratul for Zenyatta
Twin Emperors for Genji and Hanzo
Tyrael for Pharah
Khadgar for Soldier

The ones I have not come up with yet are bastion, d.va, junkrat (although leaning to some WoW goblins just due to explosives), lucio, reaper, sym, or zarya.

Obvious choice for D.Va might be her mech looking like a Thor and her just being a pilot.

Antiwhippy

You probably can main lucio and mercy just due to how universally useful they are and how rare they are too.

Like I don't think it's possible to seriously win koth without lucio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom