• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durden77

It's cool that McCree 'seems fine to you' but Blizzard has already conceded that McCree's damage output is too overtuned and his problem isn't his stun anyways. It's being able to open up tanks and melt them in three seconds when his intended purpose is a check and balance against high mobility flankers Tracer and Genji.

At a competitive level, D.Va is situationally better than Winston in a handful of situations and a whole lot worse in most others. Her damage up-close and her fall off is extremely aggressive and doesn't match up with her problems being focused down. Which Blizzard has also conceded. The reason why all anyone can seem to talk about regarding patches are McCree nerfs and D.Va buffs are because they're in the works.

But I kill Mcree as Winston (a tank) all the time. Just get close to him and leap. He'll nearly all the time throw out his stun/roll and I just melt him afterwards with no problem.

And as far as D.Va is concerned, isn't it great that she's better than other tanks in certain areas but worse in others? I don't think her problems outweigh her positives at the moment. When I'm playing D.VA cautiously from mid-range, she feels amazing.

They might need it, but at the moment I certainly think it's way too early to tell.

Trace

Banned
But I kill Mcree as Winston (a tank) all the time. Just get close to him and leap. He'll nearly all the time throw out his stun/roll and I just melt him afterwards with no problem.

And as far as D.Va is concerned, isn't it great that she's better than other tanks in certain areas but worse in others? I don't think her problems outweigh her positives at the moment. When I'm playing D.VA cautiously from mid-range, she feels amazing.

They might need it, but at the moment I certainly think it's way too early to tell.

D.Va definitely needs some work. I'm not sure if we're playing the same game, but D.Va is one of the worst at medium/long range, and her point clearing and "in your face harass" are both better served by Winston atm since he can do the same thing she can while also having a better shield.

TheFatMan

Hit level 81 and finally got 50 unlocks for the only character that matters.

My total unlocks so far: Orange = 12, Purple = 23, Blue = 52
Everything was free.

Master Overwatch stats:

I'm so good with D.Va now that I can use her for any non-healer role, and the only character capable of countering me is Zarya.

I don't understand how you got 50 unlocks for one character while having so few for everyone else.....

Does the game reward loot drops based on played time or something?

Gator86

I feel like I've gotten to a level where there is so many good widowmakers all I want to do is main Winston permanently. She can single handedly ruin my enjoyment in matches.

Widowmaker is such a rough hero. A bad one is completely useless to the point you're absolutely playing 5 on 6. A good one is completely dominant if they have any support at all to keep you off them.

cory64

Just played against dual Meis... and they were on offense!

They almost seemed to be detrimental to their team with the walls, but coordinated ults were nasty.

kubricks

It's cool that McCree 'seems fine to you' but Blizzard has already conceded that McCree's damage output is too overtuned and his problem isn't his stun anyways. It's being able to open up tanks and melt them in three seconds when his intended purpose is a check and balance against high mobility flankers like Tracer and Genji..

Agree. I love to use McCree but it really is too strong on flanking or 1-on-1 one situation. The problem is that while most other characters are good at something with an obvious trade off or counter, McCree can mow down anything from at close range from low hp speedy type to tanks. Then even at range his gun is expremely accurate and damaging.... its just too all round good I guess.

How to nerf him right I have no idea, perhaps they should increase the spread to fan hammering, introduce a slight cool down or limit it to 3 bullets?

Durden77

D.Va definitely needs some work. I'm not sure if we're playing the same game, but D.Va is one of the worst at medium/long range, and her point clearing and "in your face harass" are both better served by Winston atm since he can do the same thing she can while also having a better shield.

D.VA's shield is invincible for a set permanent period of time. Winston's is not.

With the right movement, Diva can tank multiple ultimates for her entire team. Winston can't do that.

spiritfox

So jumping into the most lethal range of a McCree and hope he misses his combo? Ok.

Trace

Banned
Agree. I love to use McCree but it really is too strong on flanking or 1-on-1 one situation. The problem is that while most other characters are good at something with an obvious trade off or counter, McCree can mow down anything from at close range from low hp speedy type to tanks. Then even at range his gun is expremely accurate and damaging.... its just too all round good I guess.

How to nerf him right I have no idea, perhaps they should increase the spread to fan hammering, introduce a slight cool down or limit it to 3 bullets?

All of the three are detrimental to his role as a mobility-counter. Just makes his fan do less damage in general so he can't melt tanks as fast.

D.VA's shield is invincible for a set permanent period of time. Winston's is not.

With the right movement, Diva can tank multiple ultimates for her entire team. Winston can't do that.

I'm not sure who is going to throw their ult into a D.Va, but the difference is that Winston's shield is fantastic for point control and he can still attack while it's up. D.Va's can't, and there is never a time I would rather have a D.Va on my team over a good Winston. His ult is better at removing people from a point, his weapon is better on mobile targets, and his leap is similar in effectiveness to her dash.

Moonlight

Banned

Winston can't survive a fan/roll/fan if you're not missing like half the shots, especially not if you've been stunned. You fight bad McCrees. There's a lot of them. He's the lowest(?) win rate offense hero in the game.

But he's extremely problematic the higher up the ladder he goes. This isn't a wait and see thing, there's been plenty of competitive games of Overwatch and McCree is consistently run in two-ofs. The waiting has happened. Very little will change and it's been clear for a while McCree dominates the offensive meta.

The problem with D.Va is that she's fundamentally, worse at her job than Winston is in most respects and they do almost the same thing as far as the game is concerned. Disrupt backline threats and harass enemy teams. She has less sustainability in a fight, she's less high impact diving into the middle of team comps, she's way worse at taking on high value targets like Mercy or Lucio while they're being protected by their team and she's even worse at taking on what should be her primary form of prey, snipers like Hanzo or Widow.

I think if you play fighting games, then what I'm saying should be pretty easy to get across. D.Va has a lot worse relevant match-ups than Winston against most of the cast and the ones where she's better aren't relevant enough in the current meta to be worth anything. Her niche isn't fully defined because her numbers don't add up in a way that makes her worthwhile at a high level. Winston will make a higher impact on the game much more consistently. In a fighting game, this is much of how tier lists are decided.

D.Va's the most fun in the game from a playstyle standpoint, imo. Her loop of boosting, harassing, and boosting out is fantastic, but her risk/reward is pretty lopsided. Hence why it's being looked at.

edit: also defense matrix is good but it only covers what she's looking at and the field is limited to what's directly in front of her. You can survive a justice rains from above or die die die with it but you won't be saving more than one or two of your teammates with it. It's really only relevant chasing down backline threats and immobile heroes while keeping yourself healthy or blocking a Bastion who's really bad at knowing when to just stop shooting.

cuilan

D.va isn't your waifu unless you're #1.

I'm never going to see the #1 spot ever again unless I become a brain in a jar... =(

I don't understand how you got 50 unlocks for one character while having so few for everyone else.....

Does the game reward loot drops based on played time or something?

All the funds from dupes and currency jackpots goes to D.Va, and I've gotten plenty of both.

spiritfox

It works a whole bunch. What can I say? And if you have a good team behind you and he uses his entire combo on just Winston to kill, then he's fucked still.

Eh, if you need to have a team to take down a single hero, then there's a problem. Good McCrees shouldn't even engage in that position too, they're a duelist, not a team fighter.

KyleCross

This game fucking trolled me. I've been sitting on 1k credit for a week trying to decide what costume to buy. I finally decide to buy Junkrat's Jester.

The very next lootbox that I get 20 minutes later has Junkrat's Jester in it...

Durden77

Winston can't survive a fan/roll/fan if you're not missing like half the shots, especially not if you've been stunned. You fight bad McCrees. There's a lot of them. He's the lowest(?) win rate offense hero in the game.

But he's extremely problematic the higher up the ladder she goes. This isn't a wait and see thing, there's been plenty of competitive games of Overwatch and McCree is consistently run in two-ofs. The waiting has happened. Very little will change and it's been clear for a while McCree dominates the offensive meta.

The problem with D.Va is that she's fundamentally, worse at her job than Winston is in most respects. She has less sustainability in a fight, she's less high impact diving into the middle of team comps, she's way worse at taking on high value targets like Mercy or Lucio while they're being protected by their team and she's even worse at taking on what should be her primary form of prey, snipers like Hanzo or Widow.

I think if you play fighting games, then what I'm saying should be pretty easy to get across. D.Va has a lot worse relevant match-ups than Winston against most of the cast and the ones where she's better aren't relevant enough in the current meta to be worth anything. Her niche isn't fully defined because her numbers don't add up in a way that makes her worthwhile at a high level. Winston will make a higher impact on the game much more consistently.

D.Va's the most fun in the game from a playstyle standpoint, imo. Her loop of boosting, harassing, and boosting out is fantastic, but her risk/reward is pretty lopsided. Hence why it's being looked at.

edit: also defense matrix is good but it only covers what she's looking at and the field is limited to what's directly in front of her. You can survive a justice rains from above or die die die with it but you won't be saving more than one or two of your teammates with it. It's really only relevant chasing down backline threats and immobile heroes while keeping yourself healthy or blocking a Bastion who's really bad at knowing when to just stop shooting.

But what I'm saying is, like you said from fighting game experience, I don't feel like these niches have been fully explored yet.

Yes right now D.VA may seem lacking, but what happens when a D.VA with excellent movement (that she has the ability to use because of her low rocket cooldown), uses supressing fire for the match to lower health, but when she needs to be also jumps up into the front when to tank a Pharah ultimate or Reaper ultimate ect? That is an invaluable skill as far as I'm concerned. She is is a huge target that can literally be invincible for about 3 seconds. That can stop so much shit.

As far as Mcree is concerned, yeah I may be facing bad Mcrees, but I still feel as though if you have a good team behind you than he can be fucked easily. Even if my leap strategy doesn't work, if he uses his entire load on Winston (which he pretty much has to) and I have a Soldier 76/Tracer/any offensive hero behind me, he is going to die. And they can continue to push while he respawns. And if you have a good enough team, Winston may not even die in the first place.

Lemonte

This game fucking trolled me. I've been sitting on 1k credit for a week trying to decide what costume to buy. I finally decide to buy Junkrat's Jester.

The very next lootbox that I get 20 minutes later has Junkrat's Jester in it...

I have 2k credits but I don't know what to buy. :|

VICI0US

man, level 43 and i've still only gotten one legendary. and it was the awful looking blue rusty skin for bastion who I don't even play.

I got killed by an invisible bastion that only popped in after I died. Granted I joined in right before a 3rd round started and my guns were invisible for the first 10 seconds too.

Some guy yelled at me on his mic.

pigeon

Banned

I think D.Va could use a buff but I think you're underestimating the power of Defense Matrix here. Any projectile or hitscan that crosses the field will get popped, so it will eat a whole Pharah ult if you look at Pharah while she's spitting the rockets out. Pretty sure it can munch Pharah's, Reaper's, Zarya's, Mei's, or Hanzo's ult. Even 76's kind of!

That said, the duration is still really short and she can't shoot with it. I wouldn't mind Defense Matrix just lasting a little longer and cooling down a little quicker.

Do we actually know who serves under Overwatch and who doesn't? I think it's clear Widow and Reaper are under the mercenary company's banner and that Winston, Pharah, mercy, soldier 76, Tracer, and Reinhardt are former Overwatch but beyond that everything is muddled. Like clearly Reaper is evil but has bad history with Mccree. Was Reaper good at any point? I want to know these things.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
But what I'm saying is, like you said from fighting game experience, I don't feel like these niches have been fully explored yet.

Yes right now D.VA may seem lacking, but what happens when a D.VA with excellent movement (that she has the ability to use because of her low rocket cooldown), uses supressing fire for the match to lower health, but when she needs to be also jumps up into the front when to tank a Pharah ultimate or Reaper ultimate ect? That is an invaluable skill as far as I'm concerned. She is is a huge target that can literally be invincible for about 3 seconds. That can stop so much shit.

As far as Mcree is concerned, yeah I may be facing bad Mcrees, but I still feel as though if you have a good team behind you than he can be fucked easily. Even if my leap strategy doesn't work, if he uses his entire load on Winston (which he pretty much has to) and I have a Soldier 76/Tracer/any offensive hero behind me, he is going to die. And they can continue to push while he respawns. And if you have a good enough team, Winston may not even die in the first place.

I'm a pretty big D.VA fan, but no. D.VA is lacking straight up. LIke, the things she does, winston beats her in a lot of key areas (though D.VA beats him for free one on one). She needs a tweak, but I think it's a mistake to correlate to her being completely useless. I honestly think quite a few characters needs tweaks themselves, it just seems like D.VA is getting the attention because she's the first publicly announced one.

Stuff she beats winston in though are things which I find more fun about her though. Like her mobility is so much fun, and it allows her to get in more places faster than winston can.

Sorral

That's fun to watch. I need to practice Genji some more. I had one good match using him but most of the time I just embarrass myself.

Definitely practice a lot. Don't be afraid of doing it in pubs. I started doing it in Skirmish while waiting then started in pubs. I still get that bad match where the enemy has good Genji counters like two Reapers spamming Shotguns, a Winston tank that actually chases you and bubbles right, or turret spam Torbs x2 or more.

i just got potg and all i saw was buildings

nobody else?

image.php

Assuming that's Hanzo or something

Do we actually know who serves under Overwatch and who doesn't? I think it's clear Widow and Reaper are under the mercenary company's banner and that Winston, Pharah, mercy, soldier 76, Tracer, and Reinhardt are former Overwatch but beyond that everything is muddled. Like clearly Reaper is evil but has bad history with Mccree. Was Reaper good at any point? I want to know these things.

I think Pharrah is not an OW agent, her mom was. Reaper was with Overwatch but went with a different special-ops taskforce and betrayed them. Also, Genji and Mei (and I think Tobjorn) are Overwatch agents aswell. Genji's backstory is kinda cool, he was saved by Mercy and Zenyatta after his fight with Hanzo.

Frimaire

Pharah actually is not a former member of overwatch, her mother was.
The characters that used to be Overwatch are: Soldier 76, Mercy, Torbjorn, Tracer, Winston, Reaper, McCree, Genji, Reinhardt, and I guess technically Mei (she was in like a climate division or something).
Reaper kinda turned evil, though, and now works for Talon along with Widowmaker.
Widowmaker was also married to an overwatch agent, but she was brainwashed(?) and killed him.

Edit: Beaten

nOoblet16

A 24 Eliminations and no deaths Genji run on KOTH Nepal. It was really fun.

KOTH mode is GOAT in this game.

I'd rather they look at the instant tracking on Turrets that's faster than what you see on the damn screen instead.

Junkrat's blowing up upon death is meh once you memorize it.
It's not just about memorizing though.
Those grenades explode far too fast and due to internet latency and slower server update rate (20 tick), ehich is why it's extremely difficult to survive after killing a Junkrat up close even when you know it's coming.

So many times I'll find myself well outside the range but die because according to the server I was still in range. I think the near instant explosion is what makes it annoying for me, something like that doesn't play well with latency and low tick rate.

Jblanks

Just had 37 projected shields that blocked 4k damage as Zarya, and did 18k damage. So good.

It helped they had a Winston and Roadhog.

Had a game of attack on Hollywood that went super smooth and right as we got the studio checkpoint we got locked down somehow. Confused the shit out of me. With a minute left I see that our Reinhardt switched to Hanzo for some reason. I switch over and after being stuck for 3 or 4 minutes we beeline it straight to the end.

Why the hell would you just switch off Reinhardt?

nOoblet16

I think D.Va could use a buff but I think you're underestimating the power of Defense Matrix here. Any projectile or hitscan that crosses the field will get popped, so it will eat a whole Pharah ult if you look at Pharah while she's spitting the rockets out. Pretty sure it can munch Pharah's, Reaper's, Zarya's, Mei's, or Hanzo's ult. Even 76's kind of!

That said, the duration is still really short and she can't shoot with it. I wouldn't mind Defense Matrix just lasting a little longer and cooling down a little quicker.
Defense Matrix lasts 3 seconds while Soldier 76's ult lasts 6 seconds...so no.

Cancelling a Hanzo, Zarya, Mei ult is all about blind luck since in all these cases you need to block the initial projectile which you cannot possibly hope to block actively without any guess work and luck.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Defense Matrix lasts 3 seconds while Soldier 76's ult lasts 6 seconds...so no.

Cancelling a Hanzo, Zarya, Mei ult is all about blind luck since in all these cases you need to block the initial projectile which you cannot possibly hope to block actively without any guess work and luck.

It's a fun exercise to think about though, like how genji can reflect them.

Moonlight

Banned

D.Va's has excellent movement, yeah. Winston trades his fine control over his movement option for pure burst. On paper, her kit has a definite space in the game and niche within the team dynamic of the game. The problem is, again, that her kit is under-tuned. She deals with Widowmaker and Hanzo way less efficiently than Winston. She's better at clearing out turrets (sort of), but characters like Bastion and Torbjorn are nowhere to be seen in the current meta.

Defense Matrix also sort of is a net zero as far as 1v1 goes. The counterplay is pretty clear with it - just don't shoot, and the only proactive thing D.Va can do while it's up is boost into them. It certainly doesn't make her invincible since, again, it only works from one angle. It's useful but not anywhere near as versatile as Winston's bubble.

I don't even think D.Va needs a big overhaul. Tighten up her damage, lower the drop-off (or slightly improve her mobility while shooting so she's more threatening close quarters) and adjust hit detection on her ultimate so that you can't just dive behind the nearest crate or sign post and totally nullify the objective clearing effect it has. It'd be nice if it ignored Reinhardt's shield too, but maybe that's too much, lol.

As for McCree, your premise sort of assumes that the other McCree... doesn't have a good team. They do. At a competitive level, this is a given. McCree is behind Reinhardt being healed or damage boosted by Mercy while Widowmaker is covering the approach. Your scenario with Winston also assumes that the enemy Winston is like, not where Winston should be? If he's in your backlines than it's not like the rest of the enemy team is in a position to take advantage of your window of vulnerability when you're sitting behind a Reinhardt shield. The second it takes to reload from a fan is not a big deal in any case.

And if you died melting a Reinhardt that's still a pretty big trade for your team. This is the problem that exists with McCree. He can annihilate offensive flankers and annihilate tanks. His niche is wider than it should be so he stifles how team compositions work. The best way to deal with McCree is another McCree. Between him and Widowmaker (in fairness way more on Widow), Pharah basically has no place in spite of being really good on paper.

Ah yeah, you can use Matrix to totally suppress some ults like Reaper's if you're close enough though that's pretty dependent on where you are when it starts. It's a really good skill, don't get me wrong, but it's not strictly something the enemy team 'needs' to deal with given the up-time and the coverage in team-fights.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I just couldn't imagine playing 1 hero out of 21, in a game that's all about switching and adpating.
Because the game isn't really about switching or adapting and in the long term of blizzards 'balance' all your heavy counters are going to be sanded down just like they have every other time.

There's a reason no competitive esports hinge their design on hard counters and thats because an endless cycle of counterpicking counterpicks would make the game go stale fast. Luckily, the counters aren't nearly as bad as people pretend they are, so lots of characters can be played just straight up ignoring the counterpick nonsense. Character switching is best used for specific points on attack or defence but beyond that you're always going to be better off with experience in one character vs being mediocre at many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom