• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what I'm saying is, like you said from fighting game experience, I don't feel like these niches have been fully explored yet.

Yes right now D.VA may seem lacking, but what happens when a D.VA with excellent movement (that she has the ability to use because of her low rocket cooldown), uses supressing fire for the match to lower health, but when she needs to be also jumps up into the front when to tank a Pharah ultimate or Reaper ultimate ect? That is an invaluable skill as far as I'm concerned. She is is a huge target that can literally be invincible for about 3 seconds. That can stop so much shit.

Being invincible for three seconds is a hilariously useless skill when you bring literally nothing else to the table.

She has terrible damage output and is arguably the squishiest character in the game despite ostensibly being a tank. She's outclassed even by characters she's supposed to be powerful against because of how easy it is to take down the mech.

She can be effective in the right situations, I guess, but Winston is pretty good in those same situations as well, while being superior in considerably more situations.

As far as Mcree is concerned, yeah I may be facing bad Mcrees, but I still feel as though if you have a good team behind you than he can be fucked easily. Even if my leap strategy doesn't work, if he uses his entire load on Winston (which he pretty much has to) and I have a Soldier 76/Tracer/any offensive hero behind me, he is going to die. And they can continue to push while he respawns. And if you have a good enough team, Winston may not even die in the first place.

Competitive teams are generally "good enough", and the scenario you're describing doesn't really materialize there.

Tunavi

Banned
From Tonight

ObeseBaggyElectriceel.webm

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I feel Defense Matrix is in a good spot right now. It's just other things that need to be improved, like her ult.

Her ult just doesn't kill anyone on my team anymore. Everyone knows how to avoid it now. It's only really useful to 1) kill noobs or 2) push enemies momentarily off a point.

There's no way that d.va is the squishiest in the game when zenyatta exists.

For a tank she's way too squishy. She's the only tank I have zero fear fighting head on.

Rocketz

I've been super into playing Zenyatta the past few days after never really touching him in the beta and nothing really until now. I've been having a lot of fun with him and his orb of discord.

Plus no one plays support so someone has to do it.

Moonlight

Banned
Her ult just doesn't kill anyone on my team anymore. Everyone knows how to avoid it now. It's only really useful to 1) kill noobs or 2) push enemies momentarily off a point.

For a tank she's way too squishy.
I think you can still surprise people with her ultimate. It's just not as simple as linearly boosting into the objective and activating it anymore. You can cook the timer on her ultimate by angling it over and preferably from a huge distance, and it just becomes a question of how much you understand the art of aiming the catapult. It's easy to react to a bomb you have five seconds to find some cover from, it's harder when you have a second to react to it dropping in and it blows up before/as soon as it even touches the ground.

spiritfox

I think you can still surprise people with her ultimate. It's just not as simple as linearly boosting into the objective and activating it anymore. You can cook the timer on her ultimate by angling it over and preferably from a huge distance, and it just becomes a question of how much you understand the art of aiming the catapult. It's easy to react to a bomb you have five seconds to find some cover from, it's harder when you have a second to react to it dropping in and it blows up before/as soon as it even touches the ground.

Even arching it in I barely get any kills anymore. The only time I surprise anyone is when I self-destruct at 0 HP, since I'm most likely next to a group of enemies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

For a tank she's way too squishy.

Yeah, she is, but I feel super squishy as a tank in this game for whatever reason. Like the only tank I feel survivable with is roadhog. Rein once the shield is down I just hope to god that my medic actually notices me. I still have trouble timing how to get in and out with zarya and winston. At least with D.Va I feel like I have a reasonable chance to escape, plus when you're escaping you're not exposing her massive critical hitbox.

But yeah, right now, with her big critical hitbox, really short damage fall off and her speed while shooting, something isn't gelling well and something's gotta give. I do pretty good with her but I can see why pro level would go double winston but not double D.va. I still play a better D.Va than winston though so, whatever.

Moonlight

Banned
Even arching it in I barely get any kills anymore. The only time I surprise anyone is when I self-destruct at 0 HP, since I'm most likely next to a group of enemies.
It's better to do it on Assault maps with areas with tons of clearance like Volskaya where the enemy tends to be clustered on the point. The further you do it from the better. It's fun trying to aim through the little window on the hut in Lijiang too.

Miracle

I freaking love RoadHog in this game. Hooking people up (while yelling "GET OVER HERE!) and one shotting fools is so damn satisfying. And the ability to heal himself makes him such a boss.

PatjuhR

I'm going to make an collage of Mei's Ive Walls fucking up my life.

Almost losing a point, rushing in as Roadhog, press triangle to push them all off. BAM FRIENDLY ICE WALL IN YO FACE.

I'm noticing the further I'm leveling, the saltier players seem to get. Picking a character you're not as familiar with usually isn't well received, and complimenting the other team for a job well done is especially a no-no. Also a strange amount of Trump spam for a European server.

I don't tend to play online games, so it's possible this is par for the course, and I was just blissfully ignorant. Still enjoying the game though. When your team hits the zone, it scratches that Monster Hunter part of my brain.

For a tank she's way too squishy. She's the only tank I have zero fear fighting head on.

Winston is squishier, imo

Deception

I had a D.va perfectly launch her mech from the ground in front of the first opening door on Gibraltar over the bridge and onto the top right building and it was done so perfectly I couldn't do anything but stare at it and accept my fate. Never seen it used like that prior to that time.

Watch as they give all the characters swimsuit outfits in a future update. Though I wouldn't mind seeing the likes of Hanzo wearing a speedo, and seeing some characters (specifically Genji and Reinhardt) would be interesting and hilarious to see them wearing swimwear on top of their armour.

Winston in a bikini would be the ultimate troll character! Blizzard pls!

MUnited83

For you.
Being invincible for three seconds is a hilariously useless skill when you bring literally nothing else to the table.

She has terrible damage output and is arguably the squishiest character in the game despite ostensibly being a tank. She's outclassed even by characters she's supposed to be powerful against because of how easy it is to take down the mech.

She can be effective in the right situations, I guess, but Winston is pretty good in those same situations as well, while being superior in considerably more situations.

Competitive teams are generally "good enough", and the scenario you're describing doesn't really materialize there.

she has great damage output as long as you get up close.

nOoblet16

The thing to note about D.Va while comparing her to others is that the Mech is expendable, you are squishy outside of it but have a powerful gun and a fast recharge time for another mech. No other character in the game gets a 2nd life.

Considering that, it doesn't matter if her mech can be killed easier than other tanks, cause when other tanks die...they respawn. She just gets out of it until the next mech (or dies if she is caught in the middle of many enemies, but it is fairly easy for her to escape still)

Winston is squishier, imo
He isn't.
D.Va despite having most of her health made up of armour, is squishier due to her extremely large critical point right in the middle of her rather large frame, so even if you miss critical you still hit her. Unlike Winston and others whose critical point are their head.

ncslamm

I usually play Lucio or Zarya but tonight after work I decided I wanted to play someone different. I chose Mei on defense on Dorado. I had 3 golds (Eliminations, Obj Time, and Obj Kills) and we stalled the enemy team right at the 3rd checkpoint. With 2 mins left I used my ult right on the payload and only got one of the enemies and then icewalled when I heard 76 on the enemy team activate his ult. Apparently I blocked our Zarya's ult at the same time and when we eventually lost everyone was blaming me. I think everyone just hates Mei. It's not like I didn't do anything all game. At least this game allows you to block players as I used that to block the 3 teammates that blamed me for our loss. I mean clearly I was the problem...not the hanzo and widowmaker we had on the last leg of Dorado...or the Mercy that didn't use her Rez the entire match.

Westlo

Really starting to click with Winston lately, only started using him on KOTH maps a few days ago but now I'm using him for everything else.

Can't wait until I can run an all Winston pub team, winston da gawd
892c8a863d878896f9e7a316abfc1930.png

PatjuhR

It's Mei's destiny. Nobody going to like you. Mostly because they are annoying as hell as enemy but also because there are just trolls as teammates who block your team on purpose.

Sure this was just unlocky, because you did a good thing blocking Soldier 76's ult, but they dont see that. They only see your wall blocking their own ult. So did I the other day.

But I guess it's just annoying because it's people like you who do it accidently with a good thought behind it or trolls do it with the sole purpose of trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom