• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn I really have a hard time believing this. Normally I have such bad luck with these things, but with these game I seem really lucky. Lvl 35 and only your first one? Damn.

I think I got around 7 or something. I've even lost count. And I'm lvl 35 aswell.

Yeah my luck has been very bad. I've been getting a lot of duplicates and sprays mostly. =\

PatjuhR

Thanks for that post.

I was still hesistant to leave a game after it loaded. So while assembling. Now I know I don't have to make sure I leave before the new map starts loading.

Nyx

Using the speed boost at the start affects your entire team, so if you're all heading the same way you should arrive at the same time.

I know but I should stay behind the others, not enter the point first. That's what I meant to say, with Lucio it's always the worst cause I was the only healer. ;)

What are some of your mistakes you seem to be making more than others GAF?

Always forgetting about the melee button. So many times I'm desperately reloading when an enemy I've whittled down to almost dead is chasing after me, when if I just rushed up and punched them, the fight would be over.

That and overcompensating for pub teams that don't do a thing to get on the point by always trying to rush in by myself and hold it. While sniping from a platform meters away from the objective may not help, me constantly running in and dying to the 5-6 enemies who are holding down the point is probably just as unhelpful.

X-Frame

This game really becomes something else when you start understanding Hero counters.

And then you switch to avoid being countered by the enemy team, and to counter their current picks only for them to switch again once they see your new character.

By the end of the match sometimes I've switched 4-5 times. It may feel like a completely different set of teams from beginning to end - I always love that.

PatjuhR

A mistake I somehow keep making is forgetting to reload.

Which is crazy because I'm a diehard Battlefield player and I always reload there. Even when I would have a LMG with a clip of 200 and I used one to shoot a window down I'd reload. I freaking always press the reload button when there are no enemies around just to make sure.

And now when I play Overwatch it happened on multiple occasions that I pull an enemy in with Roadhog and I have to reload after one shot. Or I jump on to something with Winston and I have to reload after a sec.

I have no clue how this can happen. I'm used to always have a full clip. Always.

BigDug13

I love how some people have narrowed their list of characters down that they're willing to master and play exclusively and that list includes zero support characters.

Speak for yourself. As an avid fan of Jet Grind Radio/Jet Set Radio Future, I personally love his design.

That's what I love about this game. There's truly something for everyone.

Always forgetting about the melee button. So many times I'm desperately reloading when an enemy I've whittled down to almost dead is chasing after me, when if I just rushed up and punched them, the fight would be over.

That and overcompensating for pub teams that don't do a thing to get on the point by always trying to rush in by myself and hold it. While sniping from a platform meters away from the objective may not help, me constantly running in and dying to the 5-6 enemies who are holding down the point is probably just as unhelpful.

But every now and then, you rushing that point makes others rush that point when they hear that its capping.

And that makes every instance of those 5-6 deaths worthwhile.

When your team looked back in the sand there were only one set of footprints. 1 share = 1 care

Getting far too many games now where nobody will go support or tank :/

I always end up going Lucio in those situations to try and help but I unintentionally have more hours played on Lucio than anyone else because nobody wants to do it :(

This was me in the beginning. Lucio was my most played character and I got tired of it. If we don't have a healer then we don't have a healer. It's not something I worry about. I want to play the characters I want to play. Feeling like you are forced to play a certain class because no one else will do it is a drag. I'd rather lose and have fun than win and feel like a drone.

MUnited83

For you.
You don't have to. There are health pots small and large in key areas around every map.

You don't actually need a healer, despite that one guy spamming the voice line for who won't change to one him/herself.

That said, Lucio is just a badass character in every single aspect except his visual design. God, they really phoned in the lameness on him.

You do need a healer unless you are fighting a borderline useless team though

X-Frame

Mine are not going for headshots.

Coming from Destiny I always focus on headshots where they make huge time-to-kill differences, but here I am forgetting because maybe the nature of the characters and all the different weapons I just am not making the connection that headshots actually work in this game.

Getting far too many games now where nobody will go support or tank :/

I always end up going Lucio in those situations to try and help but I unintentionally have more hours played on Lucio than anyone else because nobody wants to do it :(
Are you me?

I like playing support and tank but I hate having to do it while no one else will

I love how some people have narrowed their list of characters down that they're willing to master and play exclusively and that list includes zero support characters.

You need a good team to work as a support. Mercy can heal, but damage boost is arguably more important, and you need good players to understand what is being given to them, which is hard to find.
Support also needs protection, they are not powerhouses(minus zenyatta, but he still squish).
The list goes on, and to master them, you need to play more. Don't even think that you can find a group everyday on every hour.

I know but I should stay behind the others, not enter the point first. That's what I meant to say, with Lucio it's always the worst cause I was the only healer. ;)
Then be behind your teammates? You can be at the back of the pack and still have the speed buff apply. I second the poster you've replied to. Either your team is not sticking with you or you are doing something not quite right to have to wait on everyone to join you to cap.

Support is boring. Sorry, it just is. I say this as someone that has 4+ hours each on Lucio and Mercy.

Yeah, my second played is Lucio, myself, and while I don't think it's that boring, the biggest problem I have with is that, once I'm slotted into that role for a match, it's hard to get out of it. Watching my team stick with the same characters that are getting slaughtered over and over again, while knowing that the second I switch off of Support to help the offensive I'll hear the screams of "Hey, we need a healer!" is so disheartening.

Canucked

Yeah, my second played is Lucio, myself, and while I don't think it's that boring, the biggest problem I have with is that, once I'm slotted into that role for a match, it's hard to get out of it. Watching my team stick with the same characters that are getting slaughtered over and over again, while knowing that the second I switch off of Support to help the offensive I'll hear the screams of "Hey, we need a healer!" is so disheartening.

I know that feeling and I'm over it. The random widows and hanzos have to live without my healing if they're not gonna touch the payload or stand on the objective. I will go tank.

He's my new favorite. I've already gotten multiple play of the games with him.

My goal is for the other team to shout, "THAT FUCKING GORILLA AGAIN"

I feel like the badge of honor is when you fuck up a team enough that people switch to the character you're playing as out of frustration - and that happens to me more when I'm playing with Winston than any other character.

I love the gorilla.

You do need a healer unless you are fighting a borderline useless team though

For a good team composition, support is crucial.

But for pubs during quick play, you can definitely win without one. This is assuming 1/3 of your team isn't made up of the ever-so-popular "he picked Hanzo so I'm picking Widowmaker" move.

Apathy

Oh, so we can leave right after VICTORY/DEFEAT (maybe even before the potg). Good to know, was always worried about leaving before the xp screen.

You can leave when the words victory or defeat show up and not get leaver penalty. I do it all the time

Taborcarn

Am I the only person who gets weirded out by this? Pudge wasn't the first thing to have a hook, it was Abomination in Warcraft 3 DoTA. Why do people keep forgetting the original? ;_;

Probably, because the Abomination in Warcraft 3 DoTA was Pudge. And Pudge Wars was a mod for WC3 DoTA.

DotA-Guide-Pudge-Butcher-Introduction-3.jpg

I need to force myself to be more patient with Mercy. Often times there I see two friendlies go down and rush in to rez them, when really I should wait a few more seconds because additional teammates are about to die in the same area. Still haven't gotten a 4+ rez, but I could have multiple times if I'd just waited a couple seconds!

When i first started playing Reinhardt i was nowhere near as aggressive as i needed to be.
Id let people get in behind and keep my shield up trying to protect myself when a few hits from the hammer will dispatch them.

JonCha

I played for the first time this afternoon over a couple of hours and mainly played Mercy as across the games I've played people seem reluctant to choose Support characters. This is good and bad (she's pretty simple to play) but it doesn't give me the opportunity to try difference characters unless I knowingly penalise the team.

I tried a bit of Widowmaker in the practice sessions and that seems like a fun character to play. Solider: 76 also looks like a good intro character.

Support isn't boring. Support is frustrating, because I have to watch the supposed damage-dealers shit the bed over and over.

Holy shit yeah. Desperately keeping someone alive only for them to jump around like an idiot and get us both killed from a single enemy is so frustrating. I've typed "How long do you need to get one kill???" into the chat a lot.

Taborcarn

I need to force myself to be more patient with Mercy. Often times there I see two friendlies go down and rush in to rez them, when really I should wait a few more seconds because additional teammates are about to die in the same area. Still haven't gotten a 4+ rez, but I could have multiple times if I'd just waited a couple seconds!

I got a 3-rez last night, then the enemy Reaper immediately ulted in the middle of us and killed us all again.

But then got another match I was dumped into the middle of on the losing, defending team. They had no support so I picked a Mercy, and we were able to regroup and hold the payload off successfully. Felt good.

Mistake I keep making is forgetting that Lucio's alt fire has a cooldown. Several times I'll rush in thinking all these fools are going off a cliff, only to realize my blast isn't firing anymore, and then additionally assuming it's because I need to reload, which makes me more vulnerable and usually gets me killed. Dreams of glory shattered.

ME TOO. I'm too careful with Pharah's ult and not careful enough with Mercy's.

I got a 3-rez last night, then the enemy Reaper immediately ulted in the middle of us and killed us all again.

Still, it's the right choice to make at the time. Couldn't have predicted or prevented that!
ME TOO. I'm too careful with Pharah's ult and not careful enough with Mercy's.

Yep. I'm getting better every day though, and I'm quite proud of my Mercy play. I regularly get an Epic-voted card at the end of the game because all my teammates benefited.

So is there a list of all the characters that are "racist" against Omnics? I'm curious.

I've noticed Zarya and Torbjorn specifically have said not very nice things about Omnics in the pre-game.

Meanwhile Lucio has been very supportive of them.

Any Mercy bros in here?

Support > Everything else

And I hate healers in MMORPGs. But healers in this game are another world. Love me some Mercy GILF.

Nearly 90% of my time in game is with Mercy. There aren't enough players using the stat tracker sites yet to really get a feel for how I compare to others but I think I do well enough.

Averages

• 4k heal per game
  • 4.5 resurrections
  • .88 K/D

I have yet to unlock the rez 4 player achievement though

So is there a list of all the characters that are "racist" against Omnics? I'm curious.

I've noticed Zarya and Torbjorn specifically have said not very nice things about Omnics in the pre-game.

Meanwhile Lucio has been very supportive of them.

so far it's only those two, as zarya had to quit her competition to fight them, and torbjorn technology getting used by the omnics as weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom