• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorMane

Shooting teammates gives them the health right? Or only using ability 2(E key)? Little confused on the number on the center of the screen going from 1 to 4?

Shooting does not give them health. When you're shifted to Yellow, you're healing your teammates passively. The number on the screen shows how many of your teammates are within range of your ability. Pressing E boosts this healing (or speed boost if you're green) temporarily.

Green also boosts the capture time on certain objectives such as on KotH. Edit: (Unconfirmed, but I believe it's true.)

EDIT2: Yeah, I was wrong about this. Speedboost has no effect. https://youtu.be/HnPDmK2NBFs

eek5

Shooting teammates gives them the health right? Or only using ability 2(E key)? Little confused on the number on the center of the screen going from 1 to 4?

Healing is all passive. E just amps up the healing (or speed) depending on what you have set.

The number is line of sight to teammates within 30m (pretty far). It's more or less if they can have a line of sight to you. The higher the better since that means more people affected by your song

SerRodrik

I managed to get my win percentage from 50 to 55 and now pretty much every game I get the opposing team moonwalks their way to the finish line with no resistance. Getting gold elims with supports. Makes no freaking sense

Today I had a match where I got gold medals for a single elimination and one second on the objective. It was baffling.

RowdyReverb

Shooting does not give them health. When you're shifted to Yellow, you're healing your teammates passively. The number on the screen shows how many of your teammates are within range of your ability. Pressing E boosts this healing (or speed boost if you're green) temporarily.

Green also boosts the capture time on certain objectives such as on KotH.
Does the aura go through walls?

Edit:
Healing is all passive. E just amps up the healing (or speed) depending on what you have set.

The number is line of sight to teammates within 30m (pretty far). It's more or less if they can have a line of sight to you. The higher the better since that means more people affected by your song
Thanks

Its AoE. Don't shoot them, that does nothing. The number on the screen is the number of teammates that Lucio is healing or boosting at a given moment. They need to be in a certain radius of him and with a line of sight to him.

Pumping up the volume increases the healing speed or movement speed.

.....I am an idiot......Thought shooting everyone does it....

Ranmo

Its AoE. Don't shoot them, that does nothing. The number on the screen is the number of teammates that Lucio is healing or boosting at a given moment. They need to be in a certain radius of him and with a line of sight to him.

Pumping up the volume increases the healing speed or movement speed.

I hope Lucio's ears are okay. Considering he pumps up the volume almost every 12 seconds. Depending on the Lucio.

arimanius

I didn't realize this.

MajorMane

I hope Lucio's ears are okay. Considering he pumps up the volume almost every 12 seconds. Depending on the Lucio.

That's how you get tinnitus!

I didn't realize this.
I had no idea either.

I didn't know this for the longest time and Lucio is probably my most played character. Pretty game changing.

.....I am an idiot......Thought shooting everyone does it....

To be fair, there's a lot of misconception among players with character abilities. In particular, I've noticed that a lot of people just don't know how Lucio works. I'll be sitting next to someone, healing them passively, and they'll still be spamming, "I need healing!" and then complain about a "stupid healer" that only does 7000+ healing. Yeah, okay.

Yep. Faster capture and faster payload movement

Fun fact, the payload also heals you if you're on/near it.

aka_bueno

Wait, I knew speed boost sped up the payload movement speed but it also speeds up capture rate for KotH? Does Amp It Up increase these even more too?

Damn brah. Have everything you want now?

Yup, I think so. I was feeling pretty ambivalent about spending so much on my first x50 box, but after I got so lucky with the Legendaries, I decided I'd try my luck with another 50 lol.

Legendaries I unlocked, along with the 3000+ credits I spent on:

-Woodbot
-Bva
-Young Genji
-Okami
-Hippityhop
-Firefighter
-Thunderbird
-Nevermore
-Mariarchi
-Stonehardt
-Blackbeard
-Huntress

And some pretty sweet highlight intros and a Vivi's Adventure spray that I'm using for everyone lol

Considering I had nothing of real note before these unlocks, I feel good about my loot.

darklin0

Banned
Really? That's mindblowing. Is that ever mentioned in the ingame tips? Seems like Lucio is almost required if that's the case, unless there is healing required.
His speed boost to get your team there first is pretty much essential. Also the AoE heal for everyone one point is huge. If your team is not playing Lucío then you have a higher chance of losing.

That's how you get tinnitus!

I didn't know this for the longest time and Lucio is probably my most played character. Pretty game changing.

To be fair, there's a lot of misconception among players with character abilities. In particular, I've noticed that a lot of people just don't know how Lucio works. I'll be sitting next to someone, healing them passively, and they'll still be spamming, "I need healing!" and then complain about a "stupid healer" that only does 7000+ healing. Yeah, okay.

So there can be some major healing with Lucio standing right next to the payload?

vypek

I had never noticed that until someone here mentioned it earlier. Had no clue. At the time I had been playing Lucio only on those maps so I couldn't tell. Was cool to see it as other characters.

Really? That's mindblowing. Is that ever mentioned in the ingame tips? Seems like Lucio is almost required if that's the case.

I can't say for sure if the game tips say it but I have personally not seen it mentioned.

Zemm

Kaplan is not just another Brode

hallelujah-squirrel-edited.png

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
His speed boost to get your team there first is pretty much essential. Also the AoE heal for everyone one point is huge. If your team is not playing Lucío then you have a higher chance of losing.

Yeah, i knew about that, but i usually just keep the speed boost to reach the capture point, then stick to healing only after that. Now I'll have to think on switching to speed once in a while.

I suppose it only speed up the capture, not the % going up?

Edzi

Am I guaranteed to get a legendary at some point, or is it purely luck based? I'm in the low 20s now and have only gotten blue/white boxes.

MajorMane

So there can be some major healing with Lucio standing right next to the payload?

I'm not confident on this answer. I assume that the healing would stack, but two Lucio's healing doesn't stack, so it's possible it doesn't. Either way, between Lucio and the payload, yeah, there's a lot of healing going on either way.

I suppose it only speed up the capture, not the % going up?

I've only ever seen an effect on speeding up the capture, not %, as much as that'd be nice.

The only major downside with speed-boosting the capture point is that your teammates may not function well with aiming and such while speed-boosted.

Oh yeah, definitely. You might get one or two people complaining, but once you capture (or the other team contests), switch back to healing and most people let it go.

The only major downside with speed-boosting the capture point is that your teammates may not function well with aiming and such while speed-boosted.

I'm pretty sure I've inadvertently killed some teammates by speedboosting and having them fall off the map.

rrs

Bastion is fine as is, if you can't counter them your team will get wrecked, if you do counter them, they turns into a slow target for everyone to smack around

Am I guaranteed to get a legendary at some point, or is it purely luck based? I'm in the low 20s now and have only gotten blue/white boxes.
all luck

ksan

You might notice it to some degree but it's often difficult to reflect back on how you used to play and how you may have improved over time because many of those gameplay adaptations that the higher level of play should have forced you to make will be implicit rather than explicit.

Even then, due to the scoreboard system its difficult to deduce your own individual impact on the game and its outcome. Perhaps you're just progressing because your allies have been performing well, that's often unclear. As for your opponents, even at higher levels, games have their ups and downs, and bad players make their way (somehow) into higher ranked matches, or people do not play their main characters, etc, etc. so it's difficult to deduce the level of play and how it might have changed from say, 20 matches ago, in my opinion.

I usually get gold eliminations, and I get play of the game very often, yet still, we often lose, and even when we win, it's hard for me to know if it's me that has had any real impact. Especially as a Genji player. I kill supports and others, but from one game to the next I will perform just as well, yet one of those games we win, and one we lose. It makes it feel inconsequential.

The asynchronous nature of gameplay across different characters in this game does not help things either as I target characters who are favourable matchups for my character. You could be one of the best bastions or torbjorns in the world but you are unlikely to beat a decent Genji head to head. Again, that's another factor that makes it difficult to detect the variance in oppositions skill level as the fights I pick usually have their outcome determined by the decision making process more so than individual skill and moment to moment gameplay. Not only that, but teams as a whole compose the efficacy of the opposing team, and with my team being variable (different players) it's hard to tell if our collective performance is getting better or worse, and that has obvious cascading effects on individual performance too, which in itself, is to some degree character dependent.

The point is, there are a lot of confounds when trying to make an assessment of your own abilities and how you may have improved relative to your previous performance and your opposition. These blur the lines and make genuinely meaningful progression of your skill both as an individual and team, hard to detect and dissociate. More transparency to the games statistical systems would really help with that.

Seems to me like you're focusing on the wrong things.
I think the focus should be on what makes your team more likely to win if your goal is to improve (given a set of parameters, e.g. hero you're playing, what you're up against, what map, etc).

The games are so quick that you should be able to discern what works with a decent sample quickly, regardless of the variance of player skill/luck/bad team/whatevs between games.
If you start winning more than you're losing, you're most likely doing something right. After that you'll probably hit a point where you start going 50/50 again, and it's back to the drawing board.

I think players have latched onto server tick rate as being the reason that certain things happen. One of the things that players are upset about is that if they get shot, where they perceive they were behind a wall, that this is a problem with server tick rate. Certainly there are contributions that could happen with both the server and the client update rates that could cause something like that to happen, but usually, in most cases, you're talking about latency.

This tidbit from the interview gave me a chuckle, because I'm pretty sure we've seen this exact discussion, both sides, in this thread on a few different occasions.

aeolist

Banned
This tidbit from the interview gave me a chuckle, because I'm pretty sure we've seen this exact discussion, both sides, in this thread on a few different occasions.

the problem i have is doing something and then dying and seeing my hero not do anything on the killcam, like blinking as tracer or going invulnerable as mei

pretty sure i can blame that on tickrate

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

I need an Overwatch Mythbusters on this.

aeolist

Banned
We wanted to explore what the game would be like at 60Hz, so that way, we could explore if it's possible for us to try other versions of the game with this update rate. What we've been trying to do is encourage players to play with it. It's kind of ironic that they're demanding it, it's in the game and playable, and right now we're seeing about 0.08 per cent of all matches that take place in Overwatch are actually using the feature.

I've heard a lot of players say "god dammit, Blizzard, just add it to quick play". It would be wildly irresponsible for us to add that to something like quick play or competitive without getting more testing on the feature. This is something that you care about and you want to see more of: well, please use more of the feature that's in the game.

oh of course, everyone should just play custom games all the time. that's definitely feasible and reasonable.

christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom