• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight

Banned
I don't get some people at all. I've seen so many Mercies in this game who will blatantly ignore me at like, 10% HP while they just hold left click heal on a full HP Soldier or Genji or whoever for forever. Not even change to damage boost!

this is why you see team HP as supportsssssssssssss

MajorMane

I don't get some people at all. I've seen so many Mercies in this game who will blatantly ignore me at like, 10% HP while they just hold left click heal on a full HP Soldier or Genji or whoever for forever. Not even change to damage boost!

I need healing!
I need healing!
I need healing!

It won't work.

eek5

Do they have line of sight to you? Sometimes I see dudes that are near death but there is no way for me to safely get to them because they're so far away or too far over the ledge to see so I just let them die. Fuck 'em

brawly

Do people use Angelic Descent (Mercy)? I ask because if not then I would swap it with weapon switching (controller).

Only use Lucio with randoms. Mercy is top target and randoms do a shit job protecting you. At least Lucio can evade attacks easier,

Using Mercy with pubs is an awful idea. I only ever use Lucio, and even then, begrudgingly.

Probably smarter. Problem is I can't play him for shit.

Holy shit. I never noticed this either.

Speaking of Lucio I really need to get better with my aiming. Every PotG I get with him is on Nepal when I'm pushing people down holes.

I find it easier with him and Mei's alt fire. anything that like mccree and widow i can't.

i want to wall ride and shoot just so one day i can get POTG ;D

EDIT:

RE: mercy in pubs. probably why i stop with mercy unless i see that that people i'm with know how to protect her.
lucio is my go to support where i can still put up a fight and still heatl.

vypek

Maybe I was mistaken. I could have sworn I saw something about Lucio's speed boost but I can't recall where. I'll retract what I said until I test it myself. I can probably find a game where I am the only person on the payload.

I find most people playing support lack situational awareness.
As support you should ideally have as many allies in front of you as possible so you can triage healing as needed. If you're tethered to one person and tunnel visioned, you're doing more harm than good.

Then there are the mercy players who are always up front, even against Zaryas and Reapers and other team ults that will kill your team. You need to be positioned to come in after the fact and res, not die with the team. That's your entire purpose and you need to be able to sense those moments when they are about to come. Particularly in late game situations and around capture points.

pigeon

Banned
Lucio's probably a better general pick, but I like Mercy on point defense. I think it's her strongest mode because she lets your team spread out more while she flies around to heal whoever's taking fire, and ult to save the point in moments of crisis.

Maybe I was mistaken. I could have sworn I saw something about Lucio's speed boost but I can't recall where. I'll retract what I said until I test it myself. I can probably find a game where I am the only person on the payload.

i don't think it speed boost it tbh. you may just be seeing things ;P

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Do people use Angelic Descent (Mercy)? I ask because if not then I would swap it with weapon switching (controller).

Probably smarter. Problem is I can't play him for shit.

I mainly use it with Pharah to ghost her.

Lucio's probably a better general pick, but I like Mercy on point defense. I think it's her strongest mode because she lets your team spread out more while she flies around to heal whoever's taking fire, and ult to save the point in moments of crisis.

I was basically all Lucio in the beta/early release but Mercy has grown on me a lot, I really like her for payload defenses.

Lucio is needed in KotH though.

Auctopus

I know they've mentioned this in their blog post but I don't remember. Am I a "leaver" if I leave when my team is selecting their heroes and 3 of them pick tracer?

Do people use Angelic Descent (Mercy)?

When I'm damage boosting an in-air Pharah, though that tends to make me an even-more open target in pubs. Otherwise I use it to save myself from a pesky Lucio/Junkrat/Pharah pushing me off the edge, or to slowly descend to my doom~

Heel

Seeing no evidence online of Lucio's speed boost helping payload movement or capping speed.

Sounds like some BS, brehs.

MajorMane

Pretty sure in my purely anecdotal games, I've seen it make a difference at least on KotH.

X-Frame

Eurogamer had a lengthy interview with Jeff Kaplan about Overwatch: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-07-overwatch-blizzard-answers-the-big-questions

Quick Summary:

• [*]There's a big discussion about how the ranked mode works (which is still targeting the end of June). It's now a system where you can rank up and down. The game will try to match you by skill, and at equal party sizes. The seasons will last about 2.5 months.
  • There will be more information about the new maps and heroes coming starting a bit later into the Summer.
  • They're already working on updates all the way through to early next year so they have a steady rate of new content, though they're open to changing the rate based on community feedback.
  • The first few new heroes will be released one at a time since beta players reacted very negatively to three being released at once.
  • Jeff confirms Sombra is real and that we haven't found all the hints in the game about her yet. Apparently I wasn't thorough enough. Presumably she's the first new hero coming.
  • They're open to the idea of Xbox and PlayStation players playing together, but have made no progress on this topic as of yet.
  • Jeff notes that the server runs at a tick rate of 60, though that the client could be updated to run at 60 as well if more people are willing to test it in the custom game mode. Currently it doesn't work for about 20% of their player base and they need more people to test it before it can be rolled out to Quick Play. He does say most of the killed around corner issues are from latency though, and not the tick rate.
  • McCree's Fan The Hammer damage is getting nerfed so that it doesn't kill tanks, definitely kills lightweight heroes, and maybe kills medium health heroes.
  • D.Va is either going to get a damage buff (mostly in terms of lowering the rate at which damage drops off over distance) or survivability buff, but not both. They're testing both options currently. This will be later than the McCree nerf, which sounds like it's soon.

I have a separate thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1229575

So regarding the Ranked, if I join primarily solo then ideally that means that the game will try and match solo-only players?

Even if they couldn't, there is no way for either team to know if there are any 2-6 player groups on either team anyway which I find strange, unless I am mistaken.

eek5

I find most people playing support lack situational awareness.
As support you should ideally have as many allies in front of you as possible so you can triage healing as needed. If you're tethered to one person and tunnel visioned, you're doing more harm than good.

Then there are the mercy players who are always up front, even against Zaryas and Reapers and other team ults that will kill your team. You need to be positioned to come in after the fact and res, not die with the team. That's your entire purpose and you need to be able to sense those moments when they are about to come. Particularly in late game situations and around capture points.

This is easier said than done. Honestly the lack of awareness goes both ways.

MajorMane

Seeing no evidence online of Lucio's speed boost helping payload movement or capping speed.

I can do some proper testing later tonight and upload a video on it. But you're right, nothing on the interwebs right now.

Could just be a perception thing.

essemdub

There is nothing right now. Score is some aribtary attribution of your total score, and score per minute just indexes your accumulation of that score, per minute... but score per minute is most heavily influenced by playstyle and team performance rather than skill. For instance, Roadhog gets free score per minute every time he presses his healing ability because it counts as team heals. Meanwhile, Widow gets low score per minute because she does not assist on eliminations as often as others, but may get some crucial kills on tanks and other significant targets.

Thanks, this clears things up.

It's so personally weird that you have to work so hard to get meaningful stats even when Blizzard is pushing so hard to legitimize their e-sports. Hopefully, this will be rectified when Competitive goes live, but after the attempt in closed beta I'm not expecting much.

Zaventem

[*]D.Va is either going to get a damage buff (mostly in terms of lowering the rate at which damage drops off over distance) or survivability buff, but not both.

Ugh damage is not the problem movement is. God damn they're really sticking with that slow as shit shooting when moving thing.

R0ckman

OG DVA is the best DVA. You're making the character worse by downgrading her skins.

Hope she gets some better skins.

Yeah, those were the two things that I mentioned they should improve in either/or fashion. Honestly, I'd prefer the damage buff, since she is plenty tanky (although melts if just 2 people are shooting at her) and her mobility / shield lets her get out of trouble when needed. If I could just focus down squishies a bit faster without having to burn through 2 boosts to catch up to them, that'd be great.

I LOVE B.Va

When I'm damage boosting an in-air Pharah, though that tends to make me an even-more open target in pubs. Otherwise I use it to save myself from a pesky Lucio/Junkrat/Pharah pushing me off the edge, or to slowly descend to my doom~

don't stay too long in the air. because Winston is coming for you <3

Brandwin

What sensitivity level are console players at? I am at 50 horizontal and 20 vertical right now. Much high on vertical and I feel like I miss a lot of shots.

Zaventem

If you're tethered to one person and tunnel visioned, you're doing more harm than good.

I've literally seen mercy players keep a heal beam on a tank when he's not getting hit and ignore everyone else. I use to make fun of people without a healer in there top 5 but some folks just cannot do it.

What sensitivity level are console players at? I am at 50 horizontal and 20 vertical right now. Much high on vertical and I feel like I miss a lot of shots.

100 horizontal, 40 vertical. Having fast turn speed on everyone makes a hell of a difference if you're on console. The vertical is w/e but when you play a hero like tracer you really do want it as fast as possible. Try out a higher number in the practice range and get a feel for it,

pigeon

Banned
Ugh damage is not the problem movement is. God damn they're really sticking with that slow as shit shooting when moving thing.

I mean, D.Va has a ton of movement capability, just not while shooting. Her boost has a 5 second cooldown!

Much more than any other character, D.Va's playstyle is basically modal. Her "moving around" mode is already pretty great, and her "protecting the team" mode is also reasonably strong. It's her "killing people" mode that basically sucks right now.

eek5

you ready to roll scrubs in competitive mode, bro? :hs:

I'm so bad I'll probably be in copper league or some shit. Still getting used to KB/M. I adjusted my dpi settings and sensitivity yesterday and am feeling a bit better but still getting used to it :\

Seems to me like you're focusing on the wrong things.
I think the focus should be on what makes your team more likely to win if your goal is to improve (given a set of parameters, e.g. hero you're playing, what you're up against, what map, etc).

The games are so quick that you should be able to discern what works with a decent sample quickly, regardless of the variance of player skill/luck/bad team/whatevs between games.
If you start winning more than you're losing, you're most likely doing something right. After that you'll probably hit a point where you start going 50/50 again, and it's back to the drawing board.

Thus far I'm winning more than I'm losing from the 50 or more hours that I've played, but it's still hard to tell what individual components of the team are causing that, I don't think that's hard to understand.

It's also hard to pinpoint why we lost sometimes. I had a game yesterday where I was 34 - 0 as tracer, gold elims by a high margin, felt like I was doing my job very effectively, but we still lost. A friend of mine was watching and he said 'I don't understand, on your screen it looked like everything was going great, but then your team lost'. Kind of irritating. In the end, it's just another example where it would be good to see what my team were actually doing via a scoreboard.

Rixxan

I'm so bad I'll probably be in copper league or some shit. Still getting used to KB/M. I adjusted my dpi settings and sensitivity yesterday and am feeling a bit better but still getting used to it :\

nah fam, heroic here we come

gonna be glorious

ExVicis

I mean, D.Va has a ton of movement capability, just not while shooting. Her boost has a 5 second cooldown!

Much more than any other character, D.Va's playstyle is basically modal. Her "moving around" mode is already pretty great, and her "protecting the team" mode is also reasonably strong. It's her "killing people" mode that basically sucks right now.

It sucks compared to Winston how has a lot of movement while still being able to fire his weapon. Hell Winston can fire his weapon while jumping still. He has a big movement advantage over D.Va which is weird if they're both supposed to fulfill the same role.

80/40 but it's because I play Genji/Tracer and teleport/dash behind people. You need to have higher horizontal sensitivity than your opponent if you want to capitalise on those movement shifts.

Dreavus

Pretty sure in my purely anecdotal games, I've seen it make a difference at least on KotH.

I don't remember noticing any evidence of this. If true, it just further solidifies Lucio and one of the best characters in the game, jeez.

I wish I liked playing him more. I'm okay, and will do so in a pinch, but I'm never super excited to be playing Lucio, lol.

vypek

Is the "kill 4 people with Genji's ult" achievement broken? Anybody managed to get it ?

I have the trophy for it but don't know if the achievement is glitched on other platforms. Not sure if the same bugs affect platforms. Is Lockdown bugged on PC/Xbox?

ohkay

I like playing mercy in pubs because I think it'll make me a better mercy player in the end. It forces me to be a lot more mobile healing people all over the place, though I do die a lot more as mercy than lucio

Lesath

Anyone who is even slightly damaged show up as yellow on Mercy's screen, and low-health people show up as "critical" with a "heal this fucking guy" icon. So it's not that I don't know, it's just that I've judged that you're not worth the effort to go out of my way to save because you're either in the thick of combat alone (or "flanking"), completely exposed in the open with a sniper, or out of line of sight (Widowmakers and Hanzos are the most guilty of this).

nelchaar

Anyone who is even slightly damaged show up as yellow on Mercy's screen, and low-health people show up as "critical" with a "heal this fucking guy" icon. So it's not that I don't know, it's just that I've judged that you're not worth the effort to go out of my way to save because you're either in the thick of combat alone (or "flanking"), completely exposed in the open with a sniper, or out of line of sight (Widowmakers and Hanzos are the most guilty of this).

Mercy player here. I second this.

Moonlight

Banned
Do they have line of sight to you? Sometimes I see dudes that are near death but there is no way for me to safely get to them because they're so far away or too far over the ledge to see so I just let them die. Fuck 'em
Literally I'm right in front of them! Like, deliberately moving in front of them so they notice. I'd get it if I were further away or if it were in the heat of a team-fight but like, man, some people.

edit: and i'm usually playing a tank, rip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom