• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny, because I absolutely LOVE blocking all those with shields (Reinhardt, Mae, etc...). Also, killing a Reaper during his ULT is soooo satisfying. "DIE, DIE, uuuugh." People who use them brainlessly end up wasting them when I'm playing.

That's why I save mine for when I'm behind enemy lines while my team is keeping everyone busy. Reinhardts shield never sees me coming.

Zaventem

Mercy players...

You're in the middle of the battle, near the objective. You have your ult ready and you've got one, maybe two players around you. You're low on health, no one to fly to...you're about to die. Do you res or hold it?

How many are down? She build up res super quick, i always hold 1 for the final push.

Ferrio

Banned
Mercy players...

You're in the middle of the battle, near the objective. You have your ult ready and you've got one, maybe two players around you. You're low on health, no one to fly to...you're about to die. Do you res or hold it?

I'd say burn it, unless there's like only time for one more push after you die. She charges it so fast, and 2 people res is good.

Mercy players...

I find Mercy's ult charges pretty fast if you're healing a lot so I'll use it for 2 teammates near the objective every time, unless I'm resing them right into a certain death situation.

Bilix

Yeah. I think Mercy builds her ult up too quickly and it's super useful. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage if I'm on the opposing team as a Lucio. She'll fill her ult meter twice as fast as I can.

Goddamn. Just played attack on Hanamura and I went Genji and just ran right to the objective, killed two players, rest of my team pushed in and got rid of everyone else, captured A then went right to B through the left side by jumping over with Winston and Mercy following, caught them at spawn and won the game. 1 minute, 19 seconds. Fastest game I've played so far. The whole other team left. Glorious.

How much time is left?

Lets say you have enough time to get back without a teleporter. But even as a general rule I'm trying to decide if it is better to hold the ult and regroup...or to pop the ult before death and hope they can survive without you while you're gone. Will the remaining players die because they lacked support of those downed players or are they all doomed either way?

ExVicis

Mercy players...

I use it and hope that the res might save me from dying or might bring back someone who can heal me somehow

How many are down? She build up res super quick, i always hold 1 for the final push.

I'd say burn it, unless there's like only time for one more push after you die. She charges it so fast, and 2 people res is good.

I find Mercy's ult charges pretty fast if you're healing a lot so I'll use it for 2 teammates near the objective every time, unless I'm resing them right into a certain death situation.

I usually pop it if there is anyone I can res if I know I'm about to die, in almost all cases if I also know I can get back to the objective in time. But lately I've been thinking I should stop doing that. I find that if there are 1-2 players dead and then I'm killed, someone has an ult they're about to use it so res'ing. Either way, I usually spawn only to see a very weak team that is usually dead by the time I'm back.

At this point I think it's almost always better to hold it and use it in a controlled manner rather than panic res people that have a higher chance of dying anyway.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. I think Mercy builds her ult up too quickly and it's super useful. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage if I'm on the opposing team as a Lucio. She'll fill her ult meter twice as fast as I can.

The difference in my opinion is that Lucio can actually do damage himself unlike Mercy who needs another person to be effective.

Lucio seems like an easier character to be competent with, than Mercy (since the aura is always on you can't NOT use it). Both are probably really tough to be very good with, but the bar for playing Lucio in something like a pick up game, is lower IMO. Doesn't mean the character is bad, just a bit easier to get into.

eek5

I swear the only Lucio PotGs I've seen are if he's boosting someone off the map.

But this is still a little sad.

Environmental kills are weighted pretty heavily in POTG. That map was crazy short (defended on the first point) so it's likely nothing major happened at all so the env kill won. You almost never get good POTG on first-point defends or steamroll games. Just not enough time for anything good to develop

psyfi

Banned
Some ultimates in this game are utter, brainless bullshit. Pharah, Soldier, McCree to name a few. Activate and destroy everyone in your field of view, no skill required.
You just gotta run away. I probably have a 60-70% survival rate by just hauling ass to cover. If I'm playing Lucio I'll also pop my ult and amp up my healing boost, which usually saves some if not all of my team.

The difference in my opinion is that Lucio can actually do damage himself unlike Mercy who needs another person to be effective.

Lucio seems like an easier character to be competent with, than Mercy (since the aura is always on you can't NOT use it). Both are probably really tough to be very good with, but the bar for playing Lucio in something like a pick up game, is lower IMO. Doesn't mean the character is bad, just a bit easier to get into.

Mercy is underrated as a killer quite honestly. I think a good Mercy player knows when to get the blaster out and teamshoot or take down turrets/Widowmakers.

Xater

Lets say you have enough time to get back without a teleporter. But even as a general rule I'm trying to decide if it is better to hold the ult and regroup...or to pop the ult before death and hope they can survive without you while you're gone. Will the remaining players die because they lacked support of those downed players or are they all doomed either way?

For 2 or more I would probably pop it.

ExVicis

Speaking of PotG (and I wanna brag) god I just had the best McCree PotG. It was the perfect combo of teamwork and ults that resulted in a teamkill.

4038795ad4d56bb0dd8628a8176799fe.gif

"Like sittin' ducks"

We still lost

Some ultimates in this game are utter, brainless bullshit. Pharah, Soldier, McCree to name a few. Activate and destroy everyone in your field of view, no skill required.
Not really. McCree's loud audio cue makes it easy to run indoors. Pharah's is incredibly weak and easy to cancel. Soldier 76's is probably the best of those three, but even then, it's pretty easily avoided.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

duck and cover? Pharah is the worst of those (lowest activation latency) but even that can be survived (without an obvious shield) as long as you are out by 1-2 seconds.

But I mean.... this game is meant to be punishing if you are standing wide out in the open.

MUnited83

For you.
This is not even remotely accurate. Pharah damage output isn't great and she is super easily put out of her misery due to how open she is while doing it. Can only be really effective with good positioning and catching people offguard.

McCree also has to take good positioning, since it takes a while to guarantee actual deaths, meanwhile you already alerted every single person on the map you're about to do it, and you also glow.

vypek

I thought Pharah had super high output with her ultimate. Unless a shot by McCree is higher? I thought his was just auto kill

Soldier I'll give you but McCree's has a massive warning sound attached to it and Pharah's is easy to take cover from/just shoot the person doing it

c'mon, son

LiK

I thought Pharah had super high output with her ultimate. Unless a shot by McCree is higher? I thought his was just auto kill

Pharah's super does a lot of dmg but isn't an insta-kill and requires you to aim at a target continually to do dmg. It can easily miss if people run outta the way and you're stuck firing it so you get shot down quick if an enemy player is away from the blast. I got shot down once with an enemy ditrectly in front of me many times before they died. McCree is instant as soon as it locks on.

ExVicis

If you don't have a skull over the enemy as McCree his super will just do damage, not auto-kill. Pharah's is super high damage output but if they enemy isn't altogether you can flub it and sometimes fly away with zero or no kills. Both also take time and can be interrupted before you kill anything.

Soldier I'll give you but McCree's has a massive warning sound attached to it and Pharah's is easy to take cover from/just shoot the person doing it

c'mon, son

Exactly. If anything McCree isn't OP because his Ult is so avoidable most of the time.

Pharah's really isn't that strong unless the enemies are already damaged... and yup, you're a sitting duck in mid air waiting for anyone to take you out with a quick shot.

Soldiers though... piece of shit, skill-less ult. lol

Ferrio

Banned

The ult takes forever, it's rare I ever see one where she doesn't get shot outta the air. Also all it takes is the team scattering and she doesn't get much. I think it needs to be buffed honestly.

th4tguy

Was watching an overwatch video on youtube and noticed the cherry blossom trees drop petals but I've never noticed this in the PS4 version. Is this a difference between the two versions or does a condition have to be met for the petals to start dropping? Are there other environment effects that are missing from the console versions?

McCree's is probably one of the hardest to set up and Pharah's requires planning or you are going to get plucked out of the sky in about a second. Only Soldier is kind of brainless with those examples.

Reaper ult is the most bullshit ult in the game. Every other ultimate can be countered on reaction.

*brofist*

Eh, it's just sneaky... i've pushed a ulting reaper off the map numerous times as lucio... blocked it with D.Va's barrier and killed him at range with a number of characters. It is a super quick multi kill so not being ready for it can be dangerous.

Speaking of Reaper... i need to start playing and learning his combos better.

vypek

Pharah's super does a lot of dmg but isn't an insta-kill and requires you to aim at a target continually to do dmg. It can easily miss if people run outta the way and you're stuck firing it so you get shot down quick if an enemy player is away from the blast. I got shot down once with an enemy ditrectly in front of me many times before they died. McCree is instant as soon as it locks on.

If you don't have a skull over the enemy as McCree his super will just do damage, not auto-kill. Pharah's is super high damage output but if they enemy isn't altogether you can flub it and sometimes fly away with zero or no kills. Both also take time and can be interrupted before you kill anything.

I see. I didn't realize that McCree still did damage even without the skulls. Thought those would just be a miss. And I have seen quite a few Pharahs picked off while trying their ultimate.

aeolist

Banned
i'd really like them to add some UI options that make the health bar more prominent. dunno what it is about this game in particular but i've noticed pretty frequently that i'll be aware that i'm damaged but not that i only have 20 hp left and then die easily.

Hex

Banned

You are doing something wrong.
Pharah's and McCrees are so easy to avoid or just straight kill them while they are setting up standing completely still that it is shameful when you get hit with it especially more than one of you.

When buffing you should think about who you're buffing and how much damage you are actually netting. A +30% damage increase doesn't always exceed the amount of damage that you yourself could contribute from your pistol damage. Boosting bastion is worth it, but boosting soldier 76 probably isn't, especially as your pistol is pretty good up close, with headshots.

My Mercy K/D is 1.7, 3900 healing, 5 average revives.

Pistol damage also builds ult pretty quick, and you can orientate your attention towards threats to you, that I find your team mates often neglect. Like, I know Genji is going to go after me, so I'll weaken him before he gets close to he rethinks that approach.
Well shit, I'll definitely change my play up.

That's great! I'll try it out.

It seems like my teammates have been pretty happy with my Mercy already, but this will hopefully really step up my usefulness a lot.

Hex

Banned
McCree's is probably one of the hardest to set up and Pharah's requires planning or you are going to get plucked out of the sky in about a second. Only Soldier is kind of brainless with those examples.

Yep. it would not be so bad but Pharah's missiles have hella travel time during the ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom