• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't these orange control panel textures be higher res? I've got all my texture-related settings maxed out.

kVeGwN2.png

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
McCree has counters, but you just listed 3 heroes that are really bad against McCree. All 3 have to get in close, and all 3 die to flashbang -> fan -> melee (-> roll -> fan -> melee) before they can react. Genji cant deflect a flashbang thrown at his feet.

It's obvious why Genji is good against McCree.
D.Va do damage, tank entire combo, and finish McCree off out-of-suit.
Winston is trickier because you need to understand the bubble placement and block a single fan shot and circle in/out of bubble

How do you guys think future skins will be handled?

Will they be bought through money only? Do you think youll be able to buy them with credits? Or will they have a chance to drop in a chest?

I'm thinking Credits and chest, with certain, limited time skins, able to be purchased with money or gotten from chests.

Just played Roadhog for the first couple times. Wow is he super fun. Was defending the payload and just hookin and wrecking people. It's amazing as you pick up new characters how the game continues to grow.

Winston is trickier because you need to understand the bubble placement and block a single fan shot and circle in/out of bubble

Could you explain to me why Genji is good against McCree?
Winston and D.Va both have to get in their McCree's face to do damage and die to the combo (it does 925 damage, almost twice their health pool). McCree can just walk through the bubble. Zero Suit D.Va loses against McCree (less damage, less health).

bs000

If I redeem an Origins Edition code on PC that came from an XBOX copy, will I get the 5 origin editions skins for PC?

Winston and D.Va both have to get in their McCree's face to do damage and die to the combo (it does 925 damage, almost twice their health pool). McCree can just walk through the bubble.

You don't have to die as D.Va.

I have killed McCrees by using my shield, getting in close and having their fan bounce back at them and kill them.

Pretty satisfying that...

I hope they adjust the algorithm of POTGS. I bet it's hard but I would love to see some real good plays other than multi kills by hitting Q.

Winston and D.Va both have to get in their McCree's face to do damage and die to the combo (it does 925 damage, almost twice their health pool). McCree can just walk through the bubble.
If you time it right you can block some of McCree's shots with DVa then just try to headshot him as much as possible. He has no real escape.

SDCowboy

I hope they adjust the algorithm of POTGS. I bet it's hard but I would love to see some real good plays other than multi kills by hitting Q.

I feel like some people are putting way too much stock in POTG. While yeah, it would be nice if maybe support/tank got some mentions, in the end, it doesn't really matter at all. It's not like it gives the player anything.

You don't have to die as D.Va.

I have killed McCrees by using my shield, getting in close and having their fan bounce back at them and kill them.

Pretty satisfying that...

You don't have to die as D.Va if you stay away from McCree. But any engagement when he has flashbang up will lead to D.Va losing her mech and possibly her life.

Genji can't reflect when stunned, so that scenario shouldn't happen if McCree has stun up.

Special C

I like Tracer, Mccree, and Reaper for pushing the payload rather than flanking and harassing. You can take advantage of the payload as cover and killing everything that gets close. Tracer is really hard to kill with the constant heal and the blinking in and out.

It really does establish a culture in the game where players are still kill-focused and just never play the goddamn objective.

It's the part of the game I dislike the most...well that and Reaper players. (admittedly Reaper isn't really made to hold a point)

Just played Roadhog for the first couple times. Wow is he super fun. Was defending the payload and just hookin and wrecking people. It's amazing as you pick up new characters how the game continues to grow.
Its fist-pumping sweet to see a great Hog player hook-reeling in a Tracer or Mercy from across the way for one of his murderously shrapnel laden bear hugs. So good.

Durden77

I don't really understand the medal system. Does me beating my own best scores with that character constitute what medal I get?

You don't have to die as D.Va if you stay away from McCree. But any engagement when he has flashbang up will lead to D.Va losing her mech and possibly her life.

Genji can't reflect when stunned, so that scenario shouldn't happen if McCree has stun up.

Yeah...if I don't have a shield up I stay the fuck away from McCree. Also...I don't encounter too many McCree players using their flashbangs much.

I'm also not sure that people actually know D.Va's shield reflects. I have killed a number of Bastions with D.Va's reflecto-shield as well.

Alucrid

Banned
I don't really understand the medal system. Does me beating my own best scores with that character constitute what medal I get?

it's based on the team you played with. i.e. if you get gold for eliminations, you got the most eliminations on your team for that game

Mupod

Ok, I can play considerably well with almost any defense/tank/support character, but I feel quite useless with any of the attack heroes (maybe with the exception of Pharah, had a few good matches with her), specially with Reaper/McCree/Soldier 76. How do you usually play them? I always try to flank the enemy, or just reach their back to eliminate isolated enemies, but I get wrecked most of the time and I feel like I'm contributing not really much

Any general advice on how to play them?

Think less about how and more about when. Reaper is awesome on KOTH and against tanks. S76 works in any team but excels when behind reinhardt or burning down someone with discord orb. McCree is to small side rooms what Widow is to long sight lines, he kills flankers.

The how will come with experience and watching other players.

jorgejjvr

How the hell do you deal with 4-6 turrets

They are dead accurate and have a lot of range

It requires some crazy tactical team working together and coming up with ways to do it, something not always possible

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm thinking Credits and chest, with certain, limited time skins, able to be purchased with money or gotten from chests.

You just gave me a dreadful thought.

"Limited time" skins. "Only available this week then gone forever," and you can either get it randomly from a loot box or pay some exorbitant amount to buy it outright.

The poor completionists...

jacobs34

Did anyone watch that last Hanzo game from Seagull? That was the most insane thing I've seen in a first person shooter, maybe ever.

I've a 75% winrate with Symmetra over almost a hundred games. And I've died myself to some really great sentry placements. Tonight I was matched against high 60s and 70s, so I think it's safe to say the players I'm up against have acclimated to the game and that naivety has nothing to do with it. Having a counter doesn't devalue Symmetra. Every hero has (and should have) a counter in the game. Winston also shutdowns snipers but I wouldn't attempt to argue Widowmaker or Hanzo weren't viable because of this.

All the win rate reflects is that the game hasn't yet stabilised your rank. The underlying mmr/elo system should drag everyone towards 50% as the game gets a better understanding of everyone's individual ability.

I think Symmetra is a lot better in pubs than she is in competitive or in higher levels of play. Teams running compositions like double Winston kill Symmetra for free.

I don't think she isn't viable and I agree that she has her niche but I think for the most part there are better picks and see many selectng Symettra often because she doesn't provide good support. Like all supports her teleporter inceases your teams sustain by getting people back in the fight faster, but if you compare that scenario to Mercy who can functionally do the same thing (a revive is effectively a teleport right back into battle) then that's going to have more of an influence due to the effect that heals have on team sustain and the fact that running Symettra means you need another support, often leading to 2-3 squishy supports being present on a team at once, reducing overall damage output significantly.

Just my opinion though. Don't mean to put your Symettra down, it's just I've been watching the competitive Overwatch scene recently and she seems pretty awful. I haven't seen a single team use her effectively and perform well, not one single team.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
getting steamrolled by premades now completely tanking my w/l. oh well it was good while it lasted ;_;

Roubjon

Tracer is a lot of fun but many times I don't feel like I am having much impact. Turrets absolutely slay me.

I do a lot better with Tracer if I'm on Defense. That way I can constantly flank others and then retreat as soon as I feel like things are about to blow up. If I'm not trying to be an annoying ass to an opponent, I'm looking for health packs to heal myself.

JP_

Banned

I think it's tough because it needs to be a play that fits within a few seconds. A good support or harasser might have contributed more to the match, but their contributions are probably not concentrated in a few seconds. And if someone did win the match by distracting an enemy Reinhart away from their team or something, it'd make for a pretty boring PotG because it doesn't communicate context.

On the plus side, I think the PotG serves to teach players how to use the ults effectively. People joke about it just being 'hit Q' but at least at higher levels you really have to have the timing and positioning right or you'll waste it.

How the hell do you deal with 4-6 turrets

They are dead accurate and have a lot of range

It requires some crazy tactical team working together and coming up with ways to do it, something not always possible
I've asked this several times now and haven't gotten a good answer yet.

"Use Pharah" or "Use Junkrat" doesn't really answer it it. I've done plenty of both. Pharah gets cut down if she takes to the air, and Junkrat can't take them out quicker than those turrets can be set up. Against single turrets the counters make sense - but against arrays of them, and arrays of them with supporting Widowmakers or Reinhardts its no simple task.

D.va ult clears it pretty well.
This is the only conclusion I've come to.

Eric WK

Good LORD. How much do you play? I mean, I feel like I play a ton and I'm just about to hit 25. lol

Dude, level 45 is nothing compared to the shit I'm seeing on Xbox One. Once you get above 30 (I'm at 36 right now) you only get matched with very high level people. I was playing against a level 65 this morning.

Looks like the highest player on consoles right now is level 75.

Astral

I find I do much better with D.Va if I'm paired with another Tank. I just feel so much safer walking with a Reinhardt and mowing the people down, flying away to deal with a pesky turret or sniper while their attention is on Reinhardt or even Zarya. I usually get my ass kicked when I'm the only tank in my team because everyone seems to want me dead.

Mupod

maybe when players stop dying to people pressing Q

pretty much. As I've played more and been matched with more experienced players, multikill POTGs have dropped off quite a bit. Yesterday my friend and I were surprised at how frequent we were seeing 'shutdown' or 'sharpshooter' POTGs.

Yeah...if I don't have a shield up I stay the fuck away from McCree. Also...I don't encounter too many McCree players using their flashbangs much.

I'm also not sure that people actually know D.Va's shield reflects. I have killed a number of Bastions with D.Va's reflecto-shield as well.

I think you are mistaken, D.Va's shield does not reflect, only absorb.

R0ckman

They need a story mode to teach things, too many people do not know how to contest the point, and just focus on killing the intruders.

Is Blizzard not casual friendly in the design of their games?

nOoblet16

You are basically saying the counter to the best 1v1 close quarter hero in the game are...3 other close quarter players? At best they are neutral with McCree.
McCree's flashbang+fan does 420 damage not to mention he can do it again after roll. And this isn't even counting the fact that D.Va has a huge critical point in the mid section of the body where most of fan fire bullets go. Winston is kind of the same.

As a Genji player I find myself having a 50-50 chance against a McCree since if I manage to do my combo, I can kill McCree but if he does his then I'm dead.

As someone whose third-most-played hero is McCree, D.Va and Winston are not scary to me at all. In fact, when a team went six Winston on us the other day, we switched to three McCree and a Bastion to deal with them. McCree demolishes tanks and is probably the best short-range counter to Winston. Like, better than Reaper.

And as someone whose most-played hero is Genji, a decent McCree has me beat almost always unless I'm pinging from range.

Also, everyone complains about the stun-fan combo. But McCree would be fine if that were all he has. His real power is his left click at range, which bad McCrees don't seem to use well. This is why Pharah isn't great against McCree either; if she's in the air, you can drop her in two or three shots.

Alucrid

Banned
They need a story mode to teach things, too many people do not know how to contest the point, and just focus on killing the intruders.

Is Blizzard not casual friendly in the design of their games?

what kind of story mode do you need that tells you to stand in the giant glowing square?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom