• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberz1

Yeah, Winston is easily my favorite tank now, and in my top three heroes period. His ability to disrupt formations and cause chaos is amazing.

O7mAhfJ.gif

I do think his shield could use a tiny buff, though. It was nerfed due to the effect Double Winston was having on the game in the closed beta, but I think it's a bad thing heroes have to be balanced around character stacking.
Welcome to the best character.
And agreed on the shield. Maybe even reduce the cool down by even one second.so many times I've been mashing e to save myself since its been ages since I last used it only to die right before it resets.

Dreavus

Does it matter vs Mei? As Mei I just walk past the shield, unless my oponent has a super fast turn rate he wont be able to defend himself

Same thing though, even on PC where turn rate isn't a huge issue. She'll run past the shield, I'll swing around to compensate, but I can't "keep up". Even though it looks to me like I should be blocking, I'm still being hit because of the attacker favour. I have to try and anticipate or it doesn't work, which is quite annoying.

Similar situation when a riptire drives past. You have to turn super early to block it (unless they're specifically detonating it to kill you, then fair enough there). Usually they're aiming for you and the group of teammates behind you, and you should have time to block, but don't, UNLESS you turn earlier than you think.

Wanderer5

Genji and Widow can be extremely useful in defense. Widow for sniping choke points and Genji for ambushing/harassing the other team's support.

Don't believe me? Go watch the archive of Seagull or any other competitive player/team.

Maybe so (but again Seagull is a beast lol, and this could have been a pug group) but all 4 of those on the defense team? That quite unnecessary.

nOoblet16

You play with sucky Tracers if you think they are bad on Defense.
I'd rather have tanks, DPS and support heroes than both of them at the same time on defense in control point mode especially.

"Harassing" enemy is not enough when having a Tracer and Genji both on defense and a healer reduces your number of characters that actually fight on point to 3. Even worse if one of them ends up being a sniper..and I like snipers in defense more than offence, but holding the point just becomes hard when every one is everywhere else.

That combo just doesn't work well, sure you can use one attack hero to be the anti flanker but one is enough. And most important of all, you should switch if it's not working very well for the team.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
any projectile or hitscan weapon.

he can't deflect mei's spray, winston's tesla gun, zarya, and lucio's right click. he can deflect melee hits and roadhog hook but the damage doesn't reflect back.

Knew some of this but thanks for the stuff I didn't. Pudge hooks, eh? Deflecting melee hits probably more surprising.

Can Genji deflect a strike from a Genji ult?

Cade

Knew some of this but thanks for the stuff I didn't. Pudge hooks, eh? Deflecting melee hits probably more surprising.

Can Genji deflect a strike from a Genji ult?

I believe so, as I've blocked some rampaging Winston blocks. Deflect, no, but block like any other melee, yes.

rafa

Neo Member
Were you not allowed to select Winston or something?

I was Mercy in the match and we had a Reinhart too.

Genji and Widow can be extremely useful in defense. Widow for sniping choke points and Genji for ambushing/harassing the other team's support.

Don't believe me? Go watch the archive of Seagull or any other competitive player/team.

Never said they weren't. The combination of all four together, however, was not working. It wasn't an issue of usefulness, it was an issue of coordination. As a support, without coordination from the rest of the team, in that sort of make-up, it's not exactly easy to deal with if you want to be successful.

I'd rather have tanks, DPS and support heroes than both of them on defense in control point mode especially.

"Harassing" enemy is not enough when having a Tracer and Genji both on defense and a healer reduces your number of characters that actually fight on point to 3.

What you're forgetting is if Genji and Tracer are even somewhat decent, there will barely be anyone on the point in the first place. The people that break through should be easily taken care of by your second line.

It doesn't always work, but it's a pretty good strategy.

As a support, without coordination from the rest of the team, in that sort of make-up, it's not exactly easy to deal with if you want to be successful.

That's when I change from support into something we need.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

Sure, but we're not playing with Seagull.

Also, Seagull has a well coordinated pocket Mercy who's there to heal him if things get tough. It's very obvious since he goes to the frontlines sometimes and Mercy is right there with him when she should very well not be.

Seagull is the Lebron James of his team. Together when things are working well, they can be unstoppable and he will be MVP. If some key players are missing or aren't playing to their full potential and they're playing a team who's just as good, the whole team can choke or outright get steamrolled as Seagull tries his best to keep them in the lead.

Drewfonse

Yeah, Winston is easily my favorite tank now, and in my top three heroes period. His ability to disrupt formations and cause chaos is amazing.

O7mAhfJ.gif

I do think his shield could use a tiny buff, though. It was nerfed due to the effect Double Winston was having on the game in the closed beta, but I think it's a bad thing heroes have to be balanced around character stacking.

I want to love Winston. I enjoy playing as him, but my win % is low with him, as are, relatively speaking, my eliminations. I just get torched when I play as Winston. I feel like a lumbering idiot with a pea shooter.

I do love the character and his role though.

DrArchon

How much damage can Winston's bubble absorb before it breaks? I know it has to be less than Reinhardt's shield, but there' no way in-game to see how much as far as I know.

Also, I can't say it enough but Winston's Tesla cannon just feels worthless if you aren't taking out Symmetra turrets with it. I feel like it does no damage and wouldn't mind a DPS increase (maybe at the expense of range or ammo count if needed).

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

I want to love Winston. I enjoy playing as him, but my win % is low with him, as are, relatively speaking, my eliminations. I just get torched when I play as Winston. I feel like a lumbering idiot with a pea shooter.

I do love the character and his role though.

Treat Winston like a Tracer instead of a Tank. His Big Jump charges every 3 seconds. Use it a lot. Jump behind the enemy team, do some damage, break up their formation a bit, jump back to your team or to a safe spot above somewhere. It helps to know your maps well enough to know how to get in and get out. If you annoy them enough, it causes the opposite team to wait and focus on catching you instead of doing what's important like capturing a point.

How much damage can Winston's bubble absorb before it breaks? I know it has to be less than Reinhardt's shield, but there' no way in-game to see how much as far as I know.

Also, I can't say it enough but Winston's Tesla cannon just feels worthless if you aren't taking out Symmetra turrets with it. I feel like it does no damage and wouldn't mind a DPS increase (maybe at the expense of range or ammo count if needed).

It feels like it can take maybe 500 damage(1/4th of Reinhardt's shield). I agree on the beam, it takes a full clip to kill the squishy guys, even Zenyatta.

wamberz1

600 I believe.
And his canon is definitely on the weaker end of the weapons in the game, but it gets the job done. Its meant to be used to harass more than kill, since it can go through shields and is a guaranteed hit.
And since his targets (snipers mostly) are squishy he just has to Bob and weave while chasing them.

icicle actually does a ton of damage but it's hard for most people to land.

long-range mei headshot kills are so satisfying though.

It does a lot of damage per shot but the charge time gives it very low DPS when compared to other projectiles, and yeah, it can be quite hard to land if you're not familiar with the charge up time on the attack.

Sifl

Symmetra is still hilarious. We were running double Symmetra on Hanamura and we had the first capture point locked down with turrets. Best part is there was a Genji and Widow on the other team trying to figure out how to sneak into the capture point to take out the turrets, and they died everytime lol. All the hada do was switch to Winston, but they turned a simple solution into a Rubik's cube.

nOoblet16

How do you accurately aim Winston's jump for max height or max distance? At times I would do the same motion but end up high while at others I'll end up long.

Also is there any way to not jumo far but rather just high jumo and ground pound a few metres ahead of you at most ?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sometimes I'm doing great and I feel like a badass ninja killer, other times I feel like Mr. Bean.

Some comps really ruin Genji. He's the most difficult when the opposing team moves as a mass and leaves no openings for pickoffs. He's the best at taking out stragglers but he struggles when everyone is covering everyone else. Or defending chokepoints since there isn't any reasonable direction to flank.

JTripper

Spent the entire game keeping my team alive as mercy and getting kill participation bonuses for damage boosts......not even a highlight card at the end of a match.

Game has no appreciation for healers :/

DrArchon

It feels like it can take maybe 500 damage(1/4th of Reinhardt's shield). I agree on the beam, it takes a full clip to kill the squishy guys, even Zenyatta.

600 I believe.
And his canon is definitely on the weaker end of the weapons in the game, but it gets the job done. Its meant to be used to harass more than kill, since it can go through shields and is a guaranteed hit.

500-600 it is then. That's actually a nice amount to be honest. Guess it doesn't feel like it when the whole enemy team is attacking it.

And yeah, I know the Tesla Cannon is more of a harassment tool and it does that well enough when you jump in and cause some panic by zapping 2 or 3 guys at once, but I wish it did a little more, at least enough to better scare off enemy Tracers that are causing problems for supports.

icicle actually does a ton of damage but it's hard for most people to land.

long-range mei headshot kills are so satisfying though.

It does a lot of damage per shot but the charge time gives it relatively low DPS when compared to other projectiles, and yeah, it can be quite hard to land if you're not familiar with the charge up time on the attack.

ISOM

Spent the entire game keeping my team alive as mercy and getting kill participation bonuses for damage boosts......not even a highlight card at the end of a match.

Game has no appreciation for healers :/

Did you res a lot of people? That's the only time I've seen Mercy get POTG.

Gryph

Zenyatta puts out a lot of damage, man. If anything, the problem is on the other team for not getting their shit together and killing you.

That's not the problem... The problem is that the Gold Medal for kills went to someone who got 4 eliminations... and a healer to boot.

Play Widowmaker
Get a 20 kill streak (then die), then get a game winning Pentakill (PotG didn't record last kill) and... Don't get an epic vote.

But the losing team's Tracer did...

;_; I'm not destined to get an epic vote.
http://plays.tv/video/574c8dbaed372...ghlight-ended-still-couldnt-get-an-epic-vote-
Try being a tank or healer that saves the round/game gets potg and get no votes while Reaper with a mighty 10 player kill streak gets nearly the whole lobby's votes...infuriating.

KarmaCow

Try being a tank or healer that saves the round/game gets potg and get no votes while Reaper with a mighty 10 player kill streak gets nearly the whole lobby's votes...infuriating.

Maybe it's a PC thing but I rarely ever see the kill related cards getting votes at the end of games.

DrArchon

You know there's a problem when you're playing Zenyatta and get gold in both Eliminations AND objective kills! Jesus!

Low number gold medals are just the worst. Like when you join a match that's almost done, pick a healer, and get a gold for something like 500 points healed.

It's hard not to just shake your head at the rest of your team.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maybe it's a PC thing but I rarely ever see the kill related cards getting votes at the end of games.

Yeah. Usually people try to give kudos to the supports and tanks.

Probably a vestige of the MMO/MOBA mentality where self sacrificial players are more appreciated than kill chasers.

Luigi87

I got 47 eliminations as a Tracer and didn't get an Epic vote, people just don't give a shit sometimes and fuck them.

lol, I can definitely understand that.
At least I got that 20 kill achievement, I'll live with that, lol

That's not the problem... The problem is that the Gold Medal for kills went to someone who got 4 eliminations... and a healer to boot.

I dunno, with how eliminations are tracked, Zenyatta out of all the supports should be pretty high up there.

That there are only 4 eliminations for gold is the bigger issue.

Yup, that's the issue I had. I'm throwing my healing orbs around, tagging the enemy with discords and actually pushing the point with the most fragile glass cannon in the game. Nobody was pushing, even when I announced my ult! It was a terrible match! Haha!

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
How do you accurately aim Winston's jump for max height or max distance? At times I would do the same motion but end up high while at others I'll end up long.

Also is there any way to not jumo far but rather just high jumo and ground pound a few metres ahead of you at most ?

It's just something you have to practice and get accustomed to.

The best angle for covering max distance is aiming up about 45-60 degrees but the game doesn't give you a meter to go by, you have to feel it out. To not jump far you need to aim pretty high up, like almost 90 degrees and maybe tap backwards just a bit.

JhqXypH.png

markwaters

Neo Member
Low number gold medals are just the worst. Like when you join a match that's almost done, pick a healer, and get a gold for something like 500 points healed.

It's hard not to just shake your head at the rest of your team.

I'm pretty sure medals are awarded individually, and they scale according to what you did in relation to how long you played/were in the game. So if you jumped in toward the end of a game, and you hopped right on the objective, you can get a gold medal for ~5 seconds of objective.

I could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom