• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow we competitive TF2 already boys, leggo

Wonder how Blizzard'll handle balance with this in mind
Most notably with Winston, they've already attempted to balance heroes around stacking. He was nerfed hard to account for Twinstons' effect on the game. Ditto D.Va. But adding a hero limit in the default game mode seems much more reasonable than trying to adjust heroes on the assumption there will be two or more of them. With all the things I love about OW so far, stacking seems to be the one oversight on Blizzard's part. I'm really glad the competitive scene has started acknowledging the damage it's doing to the game.

R0ckman

Because I refuse to be a snipe bro.

I will never, ever, ever, ever, EVER, EVERRRRRR play a sniper or use a sniper in any game. Ever.

That's a bit excessive but it is completely insane how much and how quick she can deal damage.
Her charge rate might as well not exist and bodyshots do insane damage as well so you don't even need to be a headshot machine.
And her perfectly silent Ultimate that you have no idea when it is on or not that literally allows the entire team to see your team.
Like, just, what? Just WHAT?
How did anyone at Blizzard think "yes a hitscan sniper and a wallhack, man such INTERESTING and FUN mechanics"

You can hear her use it on the enemy team, its just really quiet compared to everyone else screaming in the match.

Yep, most people don't care about Mercy's existence until they are about to die lol

;_; I thought Mercy Gaf will hate me forever for saying so

I do Mercy is equally as useful and a main reason why she's a stable of every pro team. Better healing, Damage boost that makes competent Widows and McCree do stupid amounts of damage. Was originally part of the early game OP Duo Combos aka Pharah/Mercy (Splash Sisters). Has a freaking UNDO Button to instant reset a situation.

If Mercy had more ways to defend herself than guess whereyour precious Lucio would be... where Zenyatta is currently in the meta game, IE in the trash next to Mei and Hanzo.

Stacking 2 Lucio is pointless unless you need to speed boost Symmetra to lay turrets near enemy spawn.

Sure, but if the Tracer catches her off guard she has a decent chance of evading her shots and mowing her down.

Well, yeah. If caught off-guard at close range by a class designed for close range, naturally the long range class is disadvantaged. However, no class hardcounters Widowmaker directly per se (like TF2's Soldier in a sense). She has counters, but most are situational or soft; nothing just outright "beats" Widowmaker like McCree does Tracer or Widowmaker does Bastion.

This is obviously a problem when talking about a character that can instantly delete almost every class at any range with a hitscan weapon.

I kinda felt this way before I played him, but he's cool and a superb KotH pick. Also, his jacket is nice.

I agree, he is loads of fun to play... and has a cool jacket :p

Its always fun to mess with Genji's who think they're hot shit. Fire a few rounds so they waste their E, and then just pop em with your helix as they scurry away

Zaventem

Most notably with Winston, they've already attempted to balance heroes around stacking. He was nerfed hard to account for Twinstons' effect on the game. Ditto D.Va. But adding a hero limit in the default game mode seems much more reasonable than trying to adjust heroes on the assumption there will be two or more of them. With all the things I love about OW so far, stacking seems to be the one oversight on Blizzard's part. I'm really glad the competitive scene has started acknowledging the damage it's doing to the game.

Even without stacking in mind 1k bubble shield that was on cooldown before it went away is bad design.

Once the competitive ranked mode comes out I really hope they limit it to one hero per team.
Yea. Two McCrees or two winstons for pushing is becomingthe norm. With 21 Heroes and more coming there is no reason not to have a class limit. Their rationale is wanting to see teams try crazy.line ups on the fly and the other team needing to try to counter them but what ends up happening is good Heroes being overlooked because a dupe is just better in every way.

Posting for new page before I give up:
Can any Canadian quickly give me the last 4 digits of the UPC code on their PS4 or Xbone Origins edition (provided it's not from Walmart)? Pleaseeeeeee

Stiler

Man, how did Mei get past testing? I mean is there ANYONE who finds stuns "fun" gameplay?

It's about the total opposite of every other character in the game that you can counter or do something against, nothing fun about getting near mei being froze over and over and dying because you can't do anything to stop it and then her ult freezing entire teams.

It's annoying and just feels at odds with the fun aspects of everyone else.

If'd be one thing if there were ways to counter it, but even a freaking ulted Winston can be frozen and becomes useless.

Man, how did Mei get past testing? I mean is there ANYONE who finds stuns "fun" gameplay?

It's about the total opposite of every other character in the game that you can counter or do something against, nothing fun about getting near mei being froze over and over and dying because you can't do anything to stop it and then her ult freezing entire teams.

If'd be one thing if there were ways to counter it, but even a freaking ulted Winston can be frozen and becomes useless.

You can counter Mei; just be Pharah. You exist outside her effective range, other than her rt, but unless she's got astonishing aim you're going to win that shootout 9/10 times.

KarmaCow

They need to make it cost some damn scrap to upgrade to 2, I PLAY as him and half the time I don't bother with all the scrap lying around.

That's how it was early on in the beta, with the turret being more powerful but they decided against it. There are two problems with how it was I can see:

1) It encourages babysitting the sentry because it requires more than a time investment. This also means people will put sentries in "safer" spots which are further back and less useful. Moreover, this snowballs into Torbjorn not moving up to get scrap since it means moving far away from the sentry.

2) His second ability is giving out armour scraps, so if sentries cost scrap, that discourages tossing out scrap and instead makes people horde it just in case the sentry breaks.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, it's happening in the competitive leagues right now, so I can definitely see Blizzard takes notice.

Look at Hearthstone's competitive formats for an example of Blizzard taking notice.

They don't. They never do.

Apathy

omg in overtime, we're about to win, and our pharah whos the only one alive decides to fly up in the air and move away from the payload and we lose. Why do these people exist. my god

I am in shock and just amazed and angry as all fuck all at the same time

She's short ranged, of course she has counters.

And yes, freezing Tracers and Reapers in place after they use their mobility tools is definitely fun

Mask

They got me.

Managed to grab a Origins Amazon edition for PC, won't show up until June 7-8th, but I can wait! Didn't take part in any of the betas or even play it before, but it looks fun.

Trace

Banned
The feeling when your team has a Hanzo on assault who
-can't aim
-comes up in the kill feed a LOT
-doesn't hit anyone with his ult
-won't change characters

9 out of 10 Hanzos I see are this. "Hanzo we already have a Widow can you pick a healer because I'm playing tank and our other three are all playing Soldier 76?" "Then why don't you pick it" and never talk again.

omg in overtime, we're about to win, and our pharah whos the only one alive decides to fly up in the air and move away from the payload and we lose. Why do these people exist. my god

I am in shock and just amazed and angry as all fuck all at the same time

Next time, stay alive or have a healer keep you alive so you can jump on the point yourself. Maybe that would have assured you and your team a victory.

It appears competitive leagues have started banning hero stacking, at least in KOH. This was much needed and I hope Blizzard takes a hint themselves as the game continues to grow.

Counter-argument: hero stacking being viable is a symptom of imbalance in hero design, so it should be fixed via that rather than outright banning hero stacking.

Then again, part of the reason why things like this and pick/ban systems in MOBAs are a thing in the first place is to allow the competitive scene to correct for balance issues themselves so it's not entirely on the developer.

It absolutely 100% should not be a thing in quick match, though, as that's just going to result in loads of "BAWWWW YOU PICKED THE HERO I WANTED TO PLAY CHANGE IT SO I CAN PLAY WHO I WANT OR I'LL FEED" and "LOL GET TROLLED I PICKED THE HERO YOU WANTED TO PLAY"

mellow

I can't believe I waited until today until properly trying Winston out

he's a game changer for most capture points/choke-points

McCree has a stun and can basically 1v1
anyone, how do you feel about him

Don't want to get frozen, stay out of range

ValeYard

Are most people playing on PC? I have over 200 on my friends list on ps4, but am constantly playing solo. The four people actually playing never respond, which sucks as you get more exp for playing in a group. It's like being punished for having no friends.

If anyone wants to group up, my Psn is ValeYard13.

Trace

Banned
Counter-argument: hero stacking being viable is a symptom of imbalance in hero design, so it should be fixed via that rather than outright banning hero stacking.

Then again, part of the reason why things like this and pick/ban systems in MOBAs are a thing in the first place is to allow the competitive scene to correct for balance issues themselves so it's not entirely on the developer.

It absolutely 100% should not be a thing in quick match, though, as that's just going to result in loads of "BAWWWW YOU PICKED THE HERO I WANTED TO PLAY CHANGE IT SO I CAN PLAY WHO I WANT OR I'LL FEED" and "LOL GET TROLLED I PICKED THE HERO YOU WANTED TO PLAY"

It's not really imbalance in hero design, it's that many of the heroes synergize with themselves more than they synergize with the rest of the cast. Lucio double speed boosts, Winston shields, Reinhardt defence, etc.

mellow

I really think you should get a loot box for play of the game or like 25 credits

1 per lvl is just not enough when half of the time it's junk

Grisby

It's like playing as Zero Suit Samus when she's out her mech. Lol
Oh man, how did I not piece that together!

I need a translation list for what a lot of these characters are saying. Love, love, love the strong ethnic diversity in the cast, but I have no idea what some of their phrases are.

Hyun Sai

Are most people playing on PC? I have over 200 on my friends list on ps4, but am constantly playing solo. The four people actually playing never respond, which sucks as you get more exp for playing in a group. It's like being punished for having no friends.

I'm playing every night so far, so you can add me.

PSN : Hyunsai

Timezone : US East.

B.O.O.M

I do Mercy is equally as useful and a main reason why she's a stable of every pro team. Better healing, Damage boost that makes competent Widows and McCree do stupid amounts of damage. Was originally part of the early game OP Duo Combos aka Pharah/Mercy (Splash Sisters). Has a freaking UNDO Button to instant reset a situation.

If Mercy had more ways to defend herself than guess whereyour precious Lucio would be... where Zenyatta is currently in the meta game, IE in the trash next to Mei and Hanzo.

Stacking 2 Lucio is pointless unless you need to speed boost Symmetra to lay turrets near enemy spawn.

I mean I'm not arguing against her usefulness...just think she is way way more boring to play as than Lucio

rdytoroll

Check out the spreadsheet and discord server in the OP. There a lot of people playing on PS4

It's a symptom of "imbalance" because these heroes weren't balanced with stacking in mind. For example, a single Winston isn't nerf worthy, nerfing the characters directly just makes it so that the stacking is enforced because they'll be weaker by themselves, killing more varied compositions instead if not outright killing characters.

I'd rather stacking gets nixed instead of encouraged.

R0ckman

Yeah. You already get punished for playing with randoms.

You can counter Mei; just be Pharah. You exist outside her effective range, other than her rt, but unless she's got astonishing aim you're going to win that shootout 9/10 times.

She's short ranged, of course she has counters.

And yes, freezing Tracers and Reapers in place after they use their mobility tools is definitely fun

McCree has a stun and can basically 1v1
anyone, how do you feel about him

Don't want to get frozen, stay out of range

No, it's terrible design. You should never be completely useless in an FPS, ever. Fuck stuns so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom