• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lirlond

What do you guys think Sombra's kit will be? Finding it really hard to meld support and sniper without replacing another character

psyfi

Banned
What do you guys think Sombra's kit will be? Finding it really hard to meld support and sniper without replacing another character
I'm really curious about that, too. I imagine she won't focus too much on healing if she'll presumably be some distance away from her team. So, some other form of support?

Ken

Her L Shift causes another player to pick Widowmaker; her E does the same but summons a Hanzo. Finally her ultimate is to make a player pick D.va for tank.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
There's nothing wrong with stuns in FPS games, you guys are just salty.

I do think that McCree's flashbang should have to directly hit the opponent to stun them, and/or his right click should do less damage overall.

I understand she shouldn't be balanced around a pocket mercy, but she would be balanced around the assumption a player can actually aim. And if the Widow can, she's absolutely mental. 80% of those kills she would have gotten without the Mercy, and she basically held a whole team back by herself.
Yeah, because a team consisting of a Soldier, a Lucio, a McCree, a Junkrat, a Tracer and another Widow has a lot of tools to deal with a good sniper besides out sniping her.

Widow definitely needs tuning but you guys are overstating her power a tad much.

Trace

Banned
Yeah, because a team consisting of a Soldier, a Lucio, a McCree, a Junkrat, a Tracer and another Widow has a lot of tools to deal with a good sniper.

Widow definitely needs tuning but you guys are overstating her power a tad much.

Sorry who should they be switching to? I'm seeing some pretty heavy bias from your avatar.

Apathy

Yeah, because a team consisting of a Soldier, a Lucio, a McCree, a Junkrat, a Tracer and another Widow has a lot of tools to deal with a good sniper besides out sniping her.

I don't even use her and I think shes fine as she is, shes actually really balanced. There is 1 change though, some people might say it's a nerf, but I wish it was way louder when an opponent widow uses her ult and a beeping sound to hear the indicator of it ending

JGLS

I've been having a lot of fun playing Symmetra, finding a little space off to the side fill it full of awkwardly placed turrets then agroing people with my crappy beam (oh i'm so weak and helpless) into the trap and watching all the beams light em up as I run off to heal.

Been getting 15 people killstreaks quite easily. The turrets are pretty powerful. Also giving people a little health boost is nice, actually the teleporter is amazing at keeping the heat on people. I don't want to play as anyone else.

I've been thinking of trying to learn how to use her properly. Got any tips? Does she need a lot of team support or can she stand on her own while playing defensively?

MartyStu

Her L Shift causes another player to pick Widowmaker; her E does the same but summons a Hanzo. Finally her ultimate is to make a player pick D.va for tank.

This bring up something that annoys me greatly about the game at lower levels: The categories for each character are not accurate enough for the team composition suggestions.

LIke, if your team needs support, a single Symettra or Zenyatta is NOT a good choice.

nOoblet16

I think it's worth it for new players to read up on what their characters do best and what they are bad against. For instance if you are D.Va then you absolutely have to go behind enemy lines to flank the support...not be at the front lines to engage other tanks and attackers like Reaper who can shred through your HP in no time. Most of the time your teammates will tell you what to do so just listening and following is a good idea.

Another thing is to just use some intuition while picking characters, for instance if we are playing payload on attack then it makes little sense to play someone like Symmetra since her turrets are what makes her powerful and she can't use them when attacking on payload. Lastly, if you are only playing one character or two then you are being an anchor to the team by not adapting to the situation. Especially if your persistence to stick to one character results in duplicates in situations where it's not necessary or leads up to situations where you get counter picked consistently. You don't need to learn a character fully to move to a different one, just keep experimenting. Even if you are effective to some degree with a character that the situation demands, it's still better than being counter picked and doing nothing.

On a separate note, no one really likes playing a healer it seems. People would rather have no healer in the team than switch to one. Most always expect someone else on the team to pick the healer. playing a healer will bring down my average elimination no doubt, but I know that we have a much much higher change of losing the game if we don't have one.

I mean, that's an actual pro match. I don't really think you can sit here and imply that professionals who spend all day practicing and experimenting were somehow incapable of making obvious decisions to counter a single class.

Apathy

This bring up something that annoys me greatly about the game at lower levels: The categories for each character are not accurate enough for the team composition suggestions.

LIke, if your team needs support, a single Zenmata is NOT a good choice.

Yeah she should be defence, no support

Sorry who should they be switching to? I'm seeing some pretty heavy bias from your avatar.
I just said she needs nerfs, where is the bias?

They should be getting a Reinhardt, a Reaper, a D.Va, a Winston, anything but a team filled with squishies with zero mitigation.

nOoblet16

Dedicated healers should be a different class I feel than support like Symmetra, Zenyatta (or even Torbjorn).

I mean, that's an actual pro match. I don't really think you can sit here and imply that professionals who spend all day practicing and experimenting were somehow incapable of making obvious decisions to counter a single class.
Newsflash: pro players make shitty decisions too, specially in games around team compositions.

Trace

Banned
I just said she needs nerfs, where is the bias?

They should be getting a Reinhardt, a Reaper, a D.Va, a Winston, anything but a team filled with squishies with zero mitigation.

You realize they switched to Reaper and Winston midway through and still died right? Reaper died twice, once to double bodyshot and once to headshot. Winston got headshotted and then died to Zarya. And if you need a Reinhardt to leave spawn you might as well quit there.

If by support you mean "keep me alive while I make terrible decisions" then yes, I suppose you'd want a Mercy/Lucio.

If had matches where teams with no heals have steamrolled teams with a Mercy and a Lucio because they targeted them first and played the maps well. It doesn't bother me if my group doesn't have a healer because you never know how well randoms will play anyway.

If Widowmaker's sniper charge was closer to TF2 Sniper's 3.3 seconds(instead of 1 fuckin' second like it is now), she wouldnt be nearly as popular and only the good people can shit on you cuz quick scope body shots wouldnt do shit for damage.

Which is supposed to be the point.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think it's worth it for new players to read up on what their characters do best and what they are bad against. For instance if you are D.Va then you absolutely have to go behind enemy lines to flank the support...not be at the front lines to engage other tanks and attackers like Reaper who can shred through your HP in no time. Most of the time your teammates will tell you what to do so just listening and following is a good idea.

Actually the problem I have is that people see that I picked a tank and just assume that I have to be on the payload 24/7 and just fart around elsewhere. :(

It works more often than not though. Like, it's kinda counterintuitive, but if you face away instead of putting your massive critical hitbox you can tank fairly well, shields buy you sometime and if you see a crew approaching you boost away to take them out from elsewhere and hope that there are people there to help you.

nOoblet16

I don't even use her and I think shes fine as she is, shes actually really balanced. There is 1 change though, some people might say it's a nerf, but I wish it was way louder when an opponent widow uses her ult and a beeping sound to hear the indicator of it ending
Yea I'd like to know if I was being wall hacked tbh.

AngryNeox

Neo Member
do you honestly not see the difference between headshotting someone(not in this game because the aiming is lol) and simply pressing a button to freeze someone/everyone in your screen?
It's not the same but quite similiar. Also Mei freezing someone isn't instant, in the same time you could have just killed your enemy as something like a Reaper. Or in the case of the ult have a ult that just kills your enemies.

Or see it like that: Would D.Vas ult be bad design if it would stun all enemies in LoS for 5 seconds instead of just killing them? How is stunning someone and POTENTIALLY killing them so much worse than just killing someone?

Also I think the only problem here is that McCree is just a bit too strong. Nothing more.

3DShovel

Fucking idiot teammates actively avoiding my heals as I play Mercy. What the fuck.

Tell me fellas, is the community smarter on PC? I'm pretty sure I'm playing with absolute braindead people 90% of the time on XO.

DrArchon

This. The categories for characters are super reductive. Symmmetra can't solo support, DVa isn't a tank except for her defense matrix and big health pool, Junkrat works fine on attack and McCree works great on defense, etc.

Blizzard needs to make a little notice that says these are recommendations, not hard and fast rules.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Symmetra should definintely not be a support if Torb is a defense. It kinda sucks when you see teams only listen to the tooltip thing so they act like support is good as long as it doesn't show. Should really show "No healer" instead.

Hell, McCree should probably be a Defense character since his main strength is anti-flanks.

If Widowmaker's sniper charge was closer to TF2 Sniper's 3.3 seconds(instead of 1 fuckin' second like it is now), she wouldnt be nearly as popular and only the good people can shit on you cuz quick scope body shots wouldnt do shit for damage.

Which is supposed to be the point.

This also feeds into why so many pro people rapidly quickscope so they can be more mobile in their perch. The charge itself is suuuuuper fast for what it can do.

Her ult really should be louder too, even if the team is aware that the other team has full wallhack that's still strong as hell.

Newsflash: pro players make shitty decisions too, specially in games around team compositions.

I mean, maybe you're right and they don't know how to play the game.

Or maybe - maybe - it's tough to deal with an extremely good Widowmaker without picking a composition that will get you rolled by the rest of her team. Just a thought.

XenoRaven

Fucking idiot teammates actively avoiding my heals as I play Mercy. What the fuck.

Tell me fellas, is the community smarter on PC? I'm pretty sure I'm playing with absolute braindead people 90% of the time on XO.
It's almost like you can watch in real time as people figure out this isn't Call of Duty.

You realize they switched to Reaper and Winston midway through and still died right? Reaper died twice, once to double bodyshot and once to headshot. Winston got headshotted and then died to Zarya. And if you need a Reinhardt to leave spawn you might as well quit there.
So because they failed it instantly means the strategy is inneffective as opposed to being outplayed?

What is Widow's current competitive pick rate? Serious question. I know she needs tuning but with the way you guys make her out to be she is surely 100% picked, right?

Hupsel

There are still some cool gun ideas out there. They can get some from the new doom. A heavy machine gun would be cool, same for a sawed of shotgun that reloads after each shot.

Davidion

So, I think I've been sold on this game. Couple of questions for those who can answer:

How newbie/casual friendly is this?

How hard is the general learning curve?

Background: I love the DOTAs of the world but generally sucked at them due to my complete inability to handle RTS controls. My skills at online FPSs are just decent. Used to do fairly decently in TF2, recently fairly above average in Hawken.

Danke

Trace

Banned
So because they failed it instantly means the strategy is inneffective as opposed to being outplayed?

What is Widow's current competitive pick rate? Serious question. I know she needs tuning but with the way you guys make her out to be she is surely 100% picked, right?

How did I quote for the PC list? Can't seem to get it right.

Ohh god don't quote the entire OP. It's under the "email" tag when you're in editing mode.

AngryNeox

Neo Member
I HATE people jumping like a fucking rabbit on drugs over and over again. Really, someone should come up with a game where there was a cooldown for jumping unless you're actually traversing.
Also it's so annoyings how Widows jumps are SO HIGH that when she jumps her feet are there where her head was. There is like no reason NOT to jump as a Widow since anyone who has to aim will have a harder time hitting you.

So, I think I've been sold on this game. Couple of questions for those who can answer:

Background: I love the DOTAs of the world but generally sucked at them due to my complete inability to handle RTS controls. My skills at online FPSs are just decent. Used to do fairly decently in TF2, recently fairly above average in Hawken.

Danke
Very easy to pick up and play, no unlocking bullshit so casual players can drop in and out whenever they feel like.

MartyStu

Danke

With that resume, you will be fine.

The MMR is reasonably good enough, and as long as you remember that you are not playing team deathmatch, you should be fine.

Symmetra should definintely not be a support if Torb is a defense. It kinda sucks when you see teams only listen to the tooltip thing so they act like support is good as long as it doesn't show. Should really show "No healer" instead.

Hell, McCree should probably be a Defense character since his main strength is anti-flanks.

I'd play McCree on defense more often, but his mobility is soooooooo trash. Takes forever to get back to point. Rather go Soldier, Junkrat, Pharah, or Genji tbh

1upsuper

So what heroes will y'all NOT play? I always switch according to the situation, but there are certain heroes I never, ever play.

Widowmaker: I feel like if you aren't great with her, she is useless. I suck at sniping, so I never do this to my team.

Bastion: Because I refuse to be a turret. I find him boring. He's my one petulant "nope you can't make me do it" hero.

That's about it. I'll only go Torb if we are defending certain points and no one else picks him, but that rarely happens.

The only characters I pretty much will never play are Zarya, Symmetra, and Mei. Zarya and Symmetra are just totally unfun for me. As for Mei, I'm just one of those people who unabashedly hates her for no substantially justifiable reason. Her design just irks me and ice walls suck.

nOoblet16

This also feeds into why so many pro people rapidly quickscope so they can be more mobile in their perch. The charge itself is suuuuuper fast for what it can do.

Her ult really should be louder too, even if the team is aware that the other team has full wallhack that's still strong as hell.

I totally feel McCree is a better defensive player than offensive, since he can anti flank on his own but while attacking he would need to still be around teammates so as to get support. His mobility is piss poor to be a flanker and in direct head to head combat at range Soldier 76 is more effective than a McCree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom