• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magwik

Banned
A simple fix for McCree would be to have the roll either not reload the gun and add some invuln frames to it (if there isn't already) or have the flash bang only stun you if the McCree hits the person face on, not from behind. It's bullshit getting stunned from behind then fanned down.
Nah he is supposed to be that effective at close range. Just increase his bullet drop off and be done with it.
McCrees biggest problem isn't FTH damage it's almost exclusively damage over range.

BlindRage

Fucking idiot teammates actively avoiding my heals as I play Mercy. What the fuck.

Tell me fellas, is the community smarter on PC? I'm pretty sure I'm playing with absolute braindead people 90% of the time on XO.
I'm on x1 bro would love to play with some people that know what they are doing. I'm having a blast playing solo but would love a good group because I have lost so many games due to idiots.

Still haven't even got the group achievement lol

GT: blind rage

Competitive mode, sure, but in casual play the game should prioritize fun over balance, and the crying over people not getting to play the hero they want because someone else is playing it would harm the experience significantly more than the imbalance that hero stacking can sometimes cause (especially since you need a team more coordinated than the average quick match team for the balance issues in that to really manifest.)

You don't have to be much more coordinated, really. Just spam "ALL TORBJORN" on Hanamura or something and cackle maniacally as you render the game perfectly unfun for the enemy.

I agree that the people whining over not being able to play their main would be annoying, but the sheer imbalance a lot of comps offer right now seems worse.

What do you guys think Sombra's kit will be? Finding it really hard to meld support and sniper without replacing another character

Main weapon should be more like a DMR; lower damage than Widow, but a higher rate of fire. Hitting an enemy should tag them for ~1s. Some relatively short duration.

Climbs up walls a la Hanzo and Genji, but can hold Shift while she's on the wall to cling.

Not sure about the rest of her kit, another healer isn't the worst idea in the world but most of the regular bases are covered right now.

If Widowmaker's sniper charge was closer to TF2 Sniper's 3.3 seconds(instead of 1 fuckin' second like it is now), she wouldnt be nearly as popular and only the good people can shit on you cuz quick scope body shots wouldnt do shit for damage.

Which is supposed to be the point.

3.3 is probably too long, but yeah, it's waaaaaaay too short right now, so idk.

DrArchon

So, I think I've been sold on this game. Couple of questions for those who can answer:

How newbie/casual friendly is this?

How hard is the general learning curve?

Background: I love the DOTAs of the world but generally sucked at them due to my complete inability to handle RTS controls. My skills at online FPSs are just decent. Used to do fairly decently in TF2, recently fairly above average in Hawken.

Danke

Quite casual friendly. There are a number of characters that don't require aiming of any kind, the abilities are easy to use and self-explanatory, every role has multiple easy to use characters (except for supports having 1 SUPER easy to use character).

The learning curve isn't bad either. There's a ton of depth, but there are enough characters that you should be able to find a decent number that you're good with to have a good time. Matches are fast and short so if you get paired against a team of players way above your skill you don't have to wait long before you can leave and try again.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I adore Lucio - he's my "main" if there is such a thing - but I love how he's going under the radar on all these OP discussions. Man, his blaster is actually pretty decent, even at a distance. He has a quick reload. Fair cool downs. His burst/push can do a lot of damage to the enemy team on certain maps. And his heals are super quick and passive - all you have to do is be around your teammates. AND his ult is supremely critical in last-second defense holds or pushes on cart.

MartyStu

Also this talk about snipers, i don't even get why they have as much HP as some grounded heroes with their mobility.

Hanzo is fine because he has not defenses and must rely on slightly dodgy close quarters offensive options.

Widow is also fine, but her assault rifle is perhaps too effective.

Anyone looking for some new PS4 friends to play with? I'm level 16, use my mic, and would love to play with GAF.

PSN: DeadlyVigilante

Also, arcade mode is super silly. It's just "NERF THIS" over and over again. I played Pharah and literally couldn't kill anything because it took like 6 rockets to do so or more... while they were being constantly healed. It's like around 40 total eliminations per game it feels like, and those are the ones who are brave enough to actually touch the objective.

Hyun Sai

I adore Lucio - he's my "main" if there is such a thing - but I love how he's going under the radar on all these OP discussions. Man, his blaster is actually pretty decent, even at a distance. He has a quick reload. Fair cool downs. His burst/push can do a lot of damage to the enemy team on certain maps. And his heals are super quick and passive - all you have to do is be around your teammates. AND his ult is supremely critical in last-second defense holds or pushes on cart.

Everybody knows that Lucio is OP, but as a Support / Healer, he gets a pass lol.

Doesn't look too bad, nerfing her charge time should be more than enough to put her in line.
There's nothing under the radar about Lucio lol, you either pick him in KOTH or you probably lose.

_h8bit

Banned

Yeah he's easily my second most played character behind Mei. I love blasting people away from capture points.

Davidion

Very easy to pick up and play, no unlocking bullshit so casual players can drop in and out whenever they feel like.

With that resume, you will be fine.

The MMR is reasonably good enough, and as long as you remember that you are not playing team deathmatch, you should be fine.

Quite casual friendly. There are a number of characters that don't require aiming of any kind, the abilities are easy to use and self-explanatory, every role has multiple easy to use characters (except for supports having 1 SUPER easy to use character).

The learning curve isn't bad either. There's a ton of depth, but there are enough characters that you should be able to find a decent number that you're good with to have a good time. Matches are fast and short so if you get paired against a team of players way above your skill you don't have to wait long before you can leave and try again.

Many thanks, folks.

Luigi87

I really look forward to improvements to PotG, 'cause that feeling when as Pharah I got a triple kill, then the PotG goes to the losing team's Bastion for his one kill he got during the PotG..

People only consider things that can kill them quickly or remove mobility OP, Lucio gets a pass

MartyStu

My man.

At this point, my Lucio manages to get way more kills than my Genji (whom I play less and less).

Nothing is more satisfying than getting hooked by a Roadhog to then proceed to harass him to death. All while sustaining the rest of the team.

Or effectively glueing together an offensive push that had no business succeeding.

JTripper

A Lucio knocked me off of the map as Tracer so I reversed time and got back to the ground and fucked him up. It felt so badass.

3DShovel

I'm on x1 bro would love to play with some people that know what they are doing. I'm having a blast playing solo but would love a good group because I have lost so many games due to idiots.

Still haven't even got the group achievement lol

GT: blind rage

I'll add you up! I'll probably be on again later tonight!

DrArchon

Considering how many competitive matches have something like 3-4 Lucios in them, I'm pretty sure everyone knows that he's stupidly useful.

I don't even like playing as him that much and yet somehow he's my second most played character behind DVa. I mean, when the team needs a support I just grab him and get to work. I'd prefer playing as Zenyatta because I love his DPS but then I see a Widowmaker on the enemy team and just die inside. Meanwhile Lucio has more health, is way more mobile, heals way better, still does decent damage, disrupts enemy positioning, and has a killer ult.

Zenyatta really needs a buff is what I'm saying. Add some health to him for God's sake! He lacks any real mobility and there he is sitting at 150 health. Bump it to 200 or 250.

rdytoroll

What's your favorite and least favorite maps? Like I love Ilios, especially when I can play Lucio or Roadhog there. Not a big fan of Numbani though

Demoskinos

Sure, but if the Tracer catches her off guard she has a decent chance of evading her shots and mowing her down.

That's why you cover your flank with your venom mine. Either she destroys it and alerts you or trips it and in that case the dps from the mine and assault rifle should be enough to 1v1 tracer or at the least force her to retreat so you can make your exit.

Demoskinos

What's your favorite and least favorite maps? Like I love Ilios, especially when I can play Lucio or Roadhog there. Not a big fan of Numbani though

I actually don't have a complaint on any of them. I like some better than others but there is never a "Oh shit this map again" moment when playing this game. I think they are all pretty solid.

MartyStu

I actually don't have a complaint on any of them. I like some better than others but there is never a "Oh shit this map again" moment when playing this game. I think they are all pretty solid.

Then you have never had to play on King's Row six(6) consecutive matches.

That experience has caused me to hate that place.

DrArchon

Temple of Anubis for least favorite. Only when attacking though. It feels really tough to break through to point B with randoms. Hanamura isn't much better, and it really favors snipers, which I hate to deal with.

Most favorite is tough. Maybe Lijiang Tower. I like all 3 variations, which I can't say about Nepal or Ilios. Dorado is a great map up until the last bit where it turns into a massive clusterfuck (and loses all the aesthetic charm to boot).

Zaventem

I'd prefer playing as Zenyatta because I love his DPS but then I see a Widowmaker on the enemy team and just die inside. Meanwhile Lucio has more health, is way more mobile, heals way better, still does decent damage, disrupts enemy positioning, and has a killer ult.

Zenyatta really needs a buff is what I'm saying. Add some health to him for God's sake! He lacks any real mobility and there he is sitting at 150 health. Bump it to 200 or 250.

They don't know what to do with zenyetta. He was nerfed that hard as a response to the competitive scene. Also because of tracer. Seems everytime a support gets nerfed it's because tracer. Symetra gives +50 shield? the problem is the support not tracer. She's the poster child for overwatch so of course she'll never be touched.

JGLS

I actually really like Numbani. Ilios, Route 66 and King's Row are also some of my favorites. Loathe Temple of Anubis though.

Apathy

Yea I'd like to know if I was being wall hacked tbh.

she says it in french but really low, you basically have to be within earshot to even hear it, but everyone elses ult i can hear on the opposite side of the map, i just want consistency.

Hey you know what's really bad, when you're healer has gold for most elims and objective kills and time on point, yeah, thats possible in really really really bad groups

Geeze, just played and won a group that had a 92, 93 and 89 in it

So I've actually been playing with a PS4 controller on PC and man, it actually works out.

Winston and Reinhert, with their focus on close range and positioning just feel better on controller for me, and the added mobility of the control stick does some wonders for close range characters. I'm having good success. Bastion or any given sniper of course benefits from mouse instead, but it's nice to see controller is actually relatively viable. Actually thinking of running both controller and k+m, swapping based on my needs.

DrArchon

They don't know what to do with zenyetta. He was nerfed that hard as a response to the competitive scene. Also because of tracer. Seems everytime a support gets nerfed it's because tracer. Symetra gives +50 shield? the problem is the support not tracer. She's the poster child for overwatch so of course she'll never be touched.

What was Zen like back in the closed beta? I'd imagine he didn't need line of sight for his heal/nerf, or at the very least they went away after longer than 3 seconds like they do now, but I'm not sure.

I just want to play with him and not feel like I'm spending half of the match at the "waiting to respawn" screen, or saying "well I wish I could play him, but this map has a large open area in it which means I can't play there".

I just want him to not die to a Widowmaker body shot. Is that too much to ask?

Can't wait to see the boring meta that will be caused by that.
Really? You clearly have not been paying attention. The meta is boring NOW. 2x Lucio/McCree/Winston and similar compositions dominate the pro scene. They're called "cancer comps" for a reason. Because of the ban on stacking we're finally starting to see some actual diversity in comp play. I welcome this.

woolley

I hate that "No sniper" is a team suggestion. They are the least important part of the team and i makes people think it's a must for the team. If people want to waste their time playing it fine but there shouldn't be a message talking people into playing the position.

It's not the same but quite similiar. Also Mei freezing someone isn't instant, in the same time you could have just killed your enemy as something like a Reaper. Or in the case of the ult have a ult that just kills your enemies.

Or see it like that: Would D.Vas ult be bad design if it would stun all enemies in LoS for 5 seconds instead of just killing them? How is stunning someone and POTENTIALLY killing them so much worse than just killing someone?

Also I think the only problem here is that McCree is just a bit too strong. Nothing more.

no need to bring up ultimates, they are some of the absolute worst, garbage, no skill required, scrubby, casual whoring game design i have ever seen. casuals have regressed game design so far in the last few years its depressing

Lucio is widely regarded as the most OP hero in the game. He's the most picked character by far in every game type and on every map, and only McCree comes close to his pick/win rate. He's not under any radar. :p

It's not the same but quite similiar. Also Mei freezing someone isn't instant, in the same time you could have just killed your enemy as something like a Reaper. Or in the case of the ult have a ult that just kills your enemies.

Or see it like that: Would D.Vas ult be bad design if it would stun all enemies in LoS for 5 seconds instead of just killing them? How is stunning someone and POTENTIALLY killing them so much worse than just killing someone?

Also I think the only problem here is that McCree is just a bit too strong. Nothing more.

The only thing worse than an ability that everyone hates fighting against is an ability that everyone hates fighting against that is also terrible at killing people.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What was Zen like back in the closed beta? I'd imagine he didn't need line of sight for his heal/nerf, or at the very least they went away after longer than 3 seconds like they do now, but I'm not sure.

I just want to play with him and not feel like I'm spending half of the match at the "waiting to respawn" screen, or saying "well I wish I could play him, but this map has a large open area in it which means I can't play there".

I just want him to not die to a Widowmaker body shot. Is that too much to ask?

Yeah, he used to not need LoS. Fire and forget.

That, along with the Symmetra 50 shields was busted on characters like Tracer and Genji, a backline harasser that also self sustains forever.

I hate that "No sniper" is a team suggestion. They are the least important part of the team and i makes people think it's a must for the team. If people want to waste their time playing it fine but there shouldn't be a message talking people into playing the position.
I hate the team suggestion thing as a whole, to be honest.

Gryph

You know... I feel like we're really losing sight of the fact that this is a feel good game, designed to feel fun to play in a group, and make you feel good and hopeful about the world...

There's a lot of negative vibes in this thread right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom