• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There is no way in hell I'm getting the platinum trophy for Overwatch. Some of them don't even feel skill-based but purely based on luck.

I'm actually surprised at the ones I've managed to get done already. The Zenyatta/Winston ones are stupid as hell though and probably the only roadblock I don't think I could get. The wallride Lucio one is dumb too.

finalflame

Well yeah, telling people tough shit, sit in this game and not have fun or else we punish you is pretty simple.

Well the point is if you leave a match mid-game because you're "not having fun" due to the team not being great then you're compounding the problem by leaving, and it's selfish.

Leaving a match because you have other "real life responsibilities" going on is also selfish when the rest of the team is dedicating their time to see it through. If you can't block off/commit dedicated time then you probably shouldn't be playing a competitive team-based multiplayer game.

If it's once in a while, then whatever, the penalty probably doesn't matter to you. If you are routinely needing to duck out mid-match, then I can see the penalty being annoying, but that's how it's supposed to work.

I'm in the "the penalty should be harsher" camp.

Just popping in here to say I laugh at the thread title every time I see it. Probably 7 times now.

Also fuck Junkrat.

His wheel2win pisses me off every time. I need to get my headset's 7.1 drivers working properly so I can hear where it's coming from better.

Apathy

I payed for the game as much as anyone else. Why let 6 people get fucked over and not have fun when the system is built to accommodate that.

I'm not going to hang around when I'm not having fun on a team. No one should have to get fucked over when the matchmaking accomodates.

they are fast rounds, you dropping and it finding, loading a person in and then them having to pick a class and run to the objective destroys that teams chances.

You may have payed 60 dollars for the game, but the rest of the team payed 300 and you are fucking them over. So the punishment is severe and should be higher IMO. No one forced you to buy the game, but when you're in it you follow the rules set before it

Lesath

If my team is shit then I don't stick around. You're 100% right it's not worth it. If we can't take a single point or it I play like shit and get 4 gold medals then I nope right out when I'm done.

Yeah man, my w/l ratio dropped by 4 fucking percent in the past 2 hours. Am I so low ranked that Blizzard can't arrange easier matches?

Game feels different. Have I just gotten lucky with randoms before today? Constant doubling up on heroes, me and my friend were on a team of 4 Symmetras in king of the hill...

Was just playing and our Lucio switched to Reinhardt in the middle of the game, and I was already Reinhardt! I switched to Lucio and he switched to Junkrat...

My W/L ratio is getting hammered lately. I barely have more wins than losses.

Speely

Banned
I find it a bit funny that so many players have hard-ons for nerfing certain heroes. I have yet to encounter any that there isn't a counter for in one way or another. It's not that tough, folks: read the enemy and adapt.

I feel like most complaints come from players who play one hero in one way and don't like it when that approach doesn't work like they think it should.

Kyoufu

Lucio's costumes are so bad ;_;

Bruh.

3B2OHR3.jpg

I'm actually surprised at the ones I've managed to get done already. The Zenyatta/Winston ones are stupid as hell though and probably the only roadblock I don't think I could get. The wallride Lucio one is dumb too.

They're all dumb! :(

I payed for the game as much as anyone else. Why let 6 people get fucked over and not have fun when the system is built to accommodate that.

I'm not going to hang around when I'm not having fun on a team. No one should have to get fucked over when the matchmaking accomodates.
Yeah, you paid as much as anyone else, you're not special, if you're not having fun in a particular match stay or leave, your call, but don't be surprised you're penalized for it if you do it too much.
I need to leave quite often for real life circumstances and having a system penalize you for that in games that last ten minutes is stupid.

This isn't LoL and it's not Dota. It's not ranked and the games are over quick.

There shouldn't be a leave penalty.
If you can't stay long enough for 10 minute matches you shouldn't be queueing up in a competitive team game. Games and matchmaking being fast doesn't mean those 5-10 seconds your team was 5v6 can't cost them a round or a match.

Drop in is meant to salvage matches, not to give people carte blanche to leave as they please.

I find it a bit funny that so many players have hard-ons for nerfing certain heroes. I have yet to encounter any that there isn't a counter for in one way or another. It's not that tough, folks: read the enemy and adapt.

I feel like most complaints come from players who play one hero in one way and don't like it when that approach doesn't work like they think it should.

"How do I 1v1 (in a team game) against (character) with (character who is a bad matchup)?! Nerf pls!! Buff pls!!"

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I know =( I love my Widowmaker Odette costume, but Lucio has absolutely nothing good. It sucks, as he's my favorite hero to play.

They are atrociously ugly, it's a shame they chose those as half of the legendaries. The hockey ones are also terrible.

Yup, play Lucio the most; but think I'm gonna buy a Viking skin for Mercy, anyway.

Wanderer5

Wow I did like 8 matches today, and all but 1 are victories lol.

Lol someone actually managed to get a triple with an air meka explosion.

The answer is to make her shield percentage adaptive relative to the base health of the hero.

Or just flat out raise it.

Didn't her shields get a nerf during beta? I love that you can send them to whoever doesn't have it on the fly, but yeah I wonder how much of a impact it really does.

Bydobob

I've just discovered the power of Winston. My word, with a healer at his back he's an absolute nuisance. I've also finally learnt to play Genji well. Nothing more satisfying than double-jumping off walls and raining shurikens down on the enemy before swiping in for the kill. This game is amazing.

A bit annoyed tonight though that my crap games seemed to attract more votes than my good games. Maybe I need to start voting for myself, something I've so far resisted to do. Just feels wrong.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Yup. I'm not even in the slightest bit "good" at this game. I can hold my own - sometimes I get rocked; other times I get a nice streak or POTG. But I just don't understand all the calls for nerfs/buffs.

Game feels different. Have I just gotten lucky with randoms before today? Constant doubling up on heroes, me and my friend were on a team of 4 Symmetras in king of the hill...

Was just playing and our Lucio switched to Reinhardt in the middle of the game, and I was already Reinhardt! I switched to Lucio and he switched to Junkrat...

My W/L ratio is getting hammered lately. I barely have more wins than losses.

Yeah, my last few sessions have been pretty bad for my record, too. I've noticed that as my rank goes up and the groups I'm set up with get a bit more skilled, random matches seem fairly stacked in Defense's favor. If I'm on an Attacking team against a group with even a halfway decent defense set up, it feels like lambs to the slaughter as nobody can manage to coordinate a good strategy and everybody keeps running into the meat grinder. Don't get me wrong, I do love doing my part on defense as Symmetra (just got a PotG literally seconds after being killed, as two enemies ran into my turrets and died, were rezzed by Mercy... and then died again to the turrets. It was glorious), but I'd love to be able to mount some sort of offense without getting shredded by teams of Torbjorns and Bastions.

I dunno. As much as I still love this game, I get this bad feeling that I'm going to find myself skilled out of it fairly soon. But I'll try to do my best until then, I suppose.

Owzers

Do you guys just go to the Overwatch google doc and add random people there for your platform? I'm on ps4, id Owzers, no mic, and am trying to get more people to avoid all randoms. Some of these games today were pretttttttttttty bad, and i know i'm not great, but i'm getting better at trying to stick together and people seem to be running off all in all directions and there were some really ugly capture the point games.

Speely

Banned
Yup. I'm not even in the slightest bit "good" at this game. I can hold my own - sometimes I get rocked; other times I get a nice streak or POTG. But I just don't understand all the calls for nerfs/buffs.

Same, homie. I am not a hotshot by any stretch and yet even against better teams I have never felt like poor hero balance contributed to losing. 100% of the time, it is the enemy playing better.

HowZatOZ

Banned
"Say bacon one more time" is my favourite Roadhog quote. Love it. Mei's ultimate costumes are pretty meh, just two with recolourings.

Gryph

Oh my god... Watching random "pro-aspiring" streaming groups on Twitch might be my new favorite thing....

So much screaming and yelling... All these poor 19 year olds are going to have an aneurysm...

The problem is the sooner you adapt another player comes and kills you with a class that counters yours. And remember this is a game where you can't carry a crappy team.

I also don't think this game needs nerfs. It needs better matchmaking.

Speely

Banned
Oh my god... Watching random "pro-aspiring" streaming groups on Twitch might be my new favorite thing....

So much screaming and yelling... All these poor 19 year olds are going to have an aneurysm...

That sounds exhausting. *tunes in*

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Lmao what channels are doing this

Yeah, my last few sessions have been pretty bad for my record, too. I've noticed that as my rank goes up and the groups I'm set up with get a bit more skilled, random matches seem fairly stacked in Defense's favor. If I'm on an Attacking team against a group with even a halfway decent defense set up, it feels like lambs to the slaughter as nobody can manage to coordinate a good strategy and everybody keeps running into the meat grinder. Don't get me wrong, I do love doing my part on defense as Symmetra (just got a PotG literally seconds after being killed, as two enemies ran into my turrets and died, were rezzed by Mercy... and then died again to the turrets. It was glorious), but I'd love to be able to mount some sort of offense without getting shredded by teams of Torbjorns and Bastions.

I dunno. As much as I still love this game, I get this bad feeling that I'm going to find myself skilled out of it fairly soon. But I'll try to do my best until then, I suppose.
Yea it's at the point where grouping with a team of six that isn't good/doesn't play together much/has less experienced players. Is actually bad, because my level 39 is gonna match against other groups of 6 who are similar level.

At least solo you usually play with 11 other solo players. I've hardly won at all in groups of 3 or more today.

I also feel like my opponents are getting better much more quickly than i am.

pigeon

Banned
Played against a team of six Torbjorns on defense.

Crushed them horribly, wasn't even a contest. I played Pharah because our tank needs were already covered. Fire off rockets, go back and get heals, come back and kill dwarves.

It's just not a good strategy.

Speely

Banned
The problem is the sooner you adapt another player comes and kills you with a class that counters yours. And remember this is a game where you can't carry a crappy team.

I also don't think this game needs nerfs. It needs better matchmaking.

I fully agree that it needs better matchmaking.

But as far as enemies adapting after you do... Well if both teams can adapt, then the team that plays better wins. If all things are equal, this will most often be the case.

DirtyLarry

Well I finally tried Genji or whatever my mans name is tonight and I think I have a new personal favorite. 19 Eliminations my first match using him which for me is really pretty good, I am not a killing machine by any means using any other character. Think my best overall in a round is 24 with Pharah. Something about Genji just clicked really well and I realized, as I do with every single character, I did not use his E skill, in his case deflection, once either. I really need to remember to use E skills and with him especially now I need to figure out how to use it.

KyleP29

I actually don't have a complaint on any of them. I like some better than others but there is never a "Oh shit this map again" moment when playing this game. I think they are all pretty solid.

I think all the maps are well done... but after yesterday and today i could go without playing Hollywood, Temple of Anubis, and Volskaya industries for quite a while as these three maps have been popping up non stop.

I haven't played Dorado, Kings Row, or Hanamura since Friday and thats over multiple hours with very minimal lobby swapping.

Played against a team of six Torbjorns on defense.

Crushed them horribly, wasn't even a contest. I played Pharah because our tank needs were already covered. Fire off rockets, go back and get heals, come back and kill dwarves.

It's just not a good strategy.
BU-BU-BUT TORBJORN IS OVERPOWERED. PLZ NERF.

I think all the maps are well done... but after yesterday and today i could go without playing Hollywood, Temple of Anubis, and Volskaya industries for quite a while as these three maps have been popping up non stop.

I haven't played Dorado, Kings Row, or Hanamura since Friday and thats over multiple hours with very minimal lobby swapping.

Yeah, I've noticed a weird lack of variety in maps lately, too. I can't remember the last time I've played Route 66, to be honest, and Temple of Anubis seems to come up over and over again. And as one of the maps where, as I said a few posts a go, an even halfway-skilled defense can lock down against a team that's not coordinated, it's not been fun.

Speely

Banned
Well I finally tried Genji or whatever my mans name is tonight and I think I have a new personal favorite. 19 Eliminations my first match using him which for me is really pretty good, I am not a killing machine by any means using any other character. Think my best overall in a round is 24 with Pharah. Something about Genji just clicked really well and I realized, as I do with every single character, I did not use his E skill, in his case deflection, once either. I really need to remember to use E skills and with him especially now I need to figure out how to use it.

Dude. His mobility and damage are great, but combining those things with his deflect can be epic. Use it! Best Bastion counter there is, and deflecting a Hanzo or Pharah Ult is the shit.

He is also my fav hero.

Apathy

all the teams running double mccree on both offense and defense must really like him during every tournament. They must really like that cowboy roleplay not because there is something seriously the matter with him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom