• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switzer

Attacking on Numbani is seriously frustrating

Pick Pharah, D.Va, heck even Reaper with his teleport or Junkrat with his bomb jumps, and go around left to the objective. Even if you die and your team didn't quite get there, chances are the entire enemy team has turned around and headed for the point, letting your team advance a bunch. After that its just regular old pushing the cart strategies.

I'm actually surprised at the ones I've managed to get done already. The Zenyatta/Winston ones are stupid as hell though and probably the only roadblock I don't think I could get. The wallride Lucio one is dumb too.

As a PS4 player, I'm confident that I'm never going to get that Lucio trophy. And Lucio is my most played character.

Kyoufu

Everyone seems to have a complaint about attacking on like every map. Is there any map that people enjoy attacking on?

I find the best attacking ones are the capture type maps where you fight for control of a point.

Fuck payloads tbh.

As a PS4 player, I'm confident that I'm never going to get that Lucio trophy. And Lucio is my most played character.

Remapping the jump button to something like L2 is key to get that trophy. But yeah, it's dumb. Only 0.1% of Overwatch players on PS4 have it. lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

At the very least you have to change your buttons for Lucio to even attempt that. I swapped it to L1 since his crossfade being on X is fine.

I find it a bit funny that so many players have hard-ons for nerfing certain heroes. I have yet to encounter any that there isn't a counter for in one way or another. It's not that tough, folks: read the enemy and adapt.

I feel like most complaints come from players who play one hero in one way and don't like it when that approach doesn't work like they think it should.
Your post basically comes down to "git gud" or "l2p". It ignores a good bit of data that shows certain heroes are utterly dominating the game via winrate and pickrate and instead blames players for not knowing what to do or being unwilling to counterpick. Blizzard has buffed and nerfed the cast several times already, and they will continue to do so in the future. There is nothing wrong with wanting OW to be balanced.

Crosseyes

Banned
Well the point is if you leave a match mid-game because you're "not having fun" due to the team not being great then you're compounding the problem by leaving, and it's selfish.

Leaving a match because you have other "real life responsibilities" going on is also selfish when the rest of the team is dedicating their time to see it through. If you can't block off/commit dedicated time then you probably shouldn't be playing a competitive team-based multiplayer game.

If it's once in a while, then whatever, the penalty probably doesn't matter to you. If you are routinely needing to duck out mid-match, then I can see the penalty being annoying, but that's how it's supposed to work.

I'm in the "the penalty should be harsher" camp.

His wheel2win pisses me off every time. I need to get my headset's 7.1 drivers working properly so I can hear where it's coming from better.
I'm playing a game so of course I'm selfish. Everyone is when playing the game and blizzard actually did a great job with the replacement system. There's really no need to penalize people when you can get people to fill the spots in as much time as a respawn takes. You're not losing the game based on that small insignificant amount of time especially if the team was bad enough to be worth leaving in the first place.

Guess I'll just have to keep with the attitude of fuck the people who want to keep punishing people when the system in place makes their leaving not effect the game in any real meaningful way.

Switzer

Attacking would be better if a) pubs didn't pick snipers when they shouldn't, and b) turrets weren't busted.

Sometimes offensive sniping can be super effective, but I agree pubs have a tendency to go sniper as opposed to a counter pick.

Turrets aren't busted, just get some explosives on that shit. Junkrat, Pharah, Snipers if you have LOS, and Tracer's ult can all counter pretty well. If its bastion then just grab him as Roadhog or snipe him.

Dragoshi1

That Overwatch Gibralta map is awful on Attack. I always get lobbied with a team who cannot work together at all, and can barely get the payload to the 2nd checkpoint.

I have 101 matches and 60 wins, and it absolutely sucks when you're put on a team that won't cooperate.

I at least wish we could customize the message wheel a bit more, with phrases like "get on the payload", "cap the point", "Protect me", ect.

Sometimes offensive sniping can be super effective, but I agree pubs have a tendency to go sniper as opposed to a counter pick.

Turrets aren't busted, just get some explosives on that shit. Junkrat, Pharah, Snipers if you have LOS, and Tracer's ult can all counter pretty well. If its bastion then just grab him as Roadhog or snipe him.
Those are totally valid counter strategies that won't be at all effective if they've double stacked turrets with a team synergized around protecting them.

KarmaCow

That Overwatch Gibralta map is awful on Attack. I always get lobbied with a team who cannot work together at all, and can barely get the payload to the 2nd checkpoint.

I have 101 matches and 60 wins, and it absolutely sucks when you're put on a team that won't cooperate.

I at least wish we could customize the message wheel a bit more, with phrases like "get on the payload", "cap the point", "Protect me", ect.

On PC you can bind specific callouts to keys including stuff not on the wheel.

The best I will probably ever do with Zarya,

hDJWxcH.jpg

Overtime went for two minutes.

woolley

Skilled snipers can absolutely CC objectives and help alleviate the pressure. Not to mention Widowmaker's Infra-Sight has enormous utility for the entire team. What's with the hate?

Super skilled snipers are going to choose their best position regardless. It's when a team is already set up but then someone changes their position to sniper because of the suggestion even thought they suck ass and don't help the team at all. Sniper should not be a suggestion.

Speely

Banned
all the teams running double mccree on both offense and defense must really like him during every tournament. They must really like that cowboy roleplay not because there is something seriously the matter with him

They'll prolly nerf Fan The Hammer pretty soon. I agree that he is a bit much in the hands of a good player, but still not impossible to deal with. That said, the McCree example is not indicative of the reasoning behind most nerf calls. Most of them are just bad players looking for things to blame their bad playing on.

Again, I agree that being able to burn a full-health tank down with a right-click is a bit much. The selfish "I wanna be the best" nerf calls actually diminish the legitimate balance issues that exist because of the McCree meta.

Switzer

I'm playing a game so of course I'm selfish. Everyone is when playing the game and blizzard actually did a great job with the replacement system. There's really no need to penalize people when you can get people to fill the spots in as much time as a respawn takes. You're not losing the game based on that small insignificant amount of time especially if the team was bad enough to be worth leaving in the first place.

Guess I'll just have to keep with the attitude of fuck the people who want to keep punishing people when the system in place makes their leaving not effect the game in any real meaningful way.

It is not always the case that a drop-out doesn't disadvantage the team. In my experience, it usually does, and also usually takes longer than a respawn. It is also really irritating to be constantly shuffled between half-finished games because people can't be bothered to finish them. There were times when it took me a full 40 minutes to actually get into a full-length game. There are genuine consequences to people dropping out of matches.

JTripper

Hot damn just struck gold with a loot box at lvl 20. Got currency, a rare highlight intro for Widow, lone wolf legendary skin for Hanzo and Woodbot Bastion.

Special C

I think Payload needs to be balanced to be a little easier at the very end. I understand the final push should be hard, but 85% of the payload offenses I've lost have been at the very end.

Attacking would be better if a) pubs didn't pick snipers when they shouldn't, and b) turrets weren't busted.

*sigh* Played in a match recently with two Widowmakers and 1 Hanzo... on Attack. Nothing worse than running back from the spawn point and seeing a bunch of blue and yellow arrows nowhere near the objective, because people are hiding on ledges and barely managing to pick off two people while doing nothing to help capture the point.

For the record, though, I don't think turrets are broken at all. But when you have a combination of a well-placed turret that you'd have to get right up into the capture point to see, and a team that does a fairly good job of protecting said capture point from anyone getting close... even if you manage to pull a sneaky flank and take out the turret by yourself, the rest of the enemies will cut you down and then the turret goes right back up while you charge back from the spawn point. So without a group that knows how to coordinate their assault, it's just a slaughter. I think I might have read it somewhere else, but it's definitely true in my experience: a good offense requires the entire team to coordinate, but a good defense only requires 2 or 3 of them to team up. And for one of them to be a turret.

Sianos

Here's what I think would make for some light but effective balance changes:

- Increase McCree's damage falloff
- Possibly give McCree's single shots a brief spread cooldown similar to TF2 Spy's revolvers
- Increase Widowmaker charge time
- Alter Widowmaker's charge-damage curve so low charged shots do less damage but higher charged shots increase in damage at a faster rate up to the original 100% damage after a certain point
- Increase volume of Widowmaker ultimate announcememt
- Stop Mei from interfering with your aim sensitivity, possibly buff something else to compensate
- Decrease size of D.VA's mech's critical hitbox or decrease the damage her mech takes from critical hits
- Additional Winston tesla cannons stack only 50% damage: so one does 50 dps to a target, 2 does 75 dps, 3 does 87.5, etc.

Additional idea: rebalance Symmetra so she can use her lock-on beam to heal (at a slower rate than Mercy) - maybe the damage she and her turrets does can be converted into stored healing?

Ken

I think Payload needs to be balanced to be a little easier at the very end. I understand the final push should be hard, but 85% of the payload offenses I've lost have been at the very end.

That's usually when you need to be on top of ult usage and also considering stuff like spawn trapping.

Xeteh

Everyone seems to have a complaint about attacking on like every map. Is there any map that people enjoy attacking on?

Oddly enough, I was watching Seagull's stream the other day and he said he's expecting some balance changes because attacking teams are favored in competitive play.

Should be interesting because there are definitely maps that I feel favor the defenders.

Maybe I'm weird but I hate King of the Hill maps, never really care much for that kind of style of map.

On a side note what kind of other maps can they come with? We have KotH, CP, adn the hybrids.

Switzer

Those are totally valid counter strategies that won't be at all effective if they've double stacked turrets with a team synergized around protecting them.

Fortunately most pubs are nowhere near organized enough to do that hahah. It must be a nightmare having to balance for both disorganized pubs and high-level tournament play.

woolley

I don't know the name but the desert map for payload is really easy to attack on, especially for the second point. If a team is semi decent they shouldn't lose.

ShogunX

It's fucking sad just how many players have been conditioned by Call of Duty over the years. So many people are shit scared of dying or putting themselves in bad situations for the good of the team.

I mean fucking hell you aren't camping for killstreaks or boasting about your K.D ratio to make up for the fact that you have a small penis. Get on the fucking point!!!

and **breathe**

As someone who primarily plays support it's fascinating to watch when no one will pick a support and the team just grinds against the defenses over and over. It was so fascinating to watch I didn't even switch to support myself. I kind of wanted those L's for my team, lol.

Zaventem

At the very least you have to change your buttons for Lucio to even attempt that. I swapped it to L1 since his crossfade being on X is fine.

I did this recently. Every hero but soldier and tracer have jump on L1 for me now. I suggest gettun used to switching between the two if you like playing those characters though.

Maybe I'm weird but I hate King of the Hill maps, never really care much for that kind of style of map.

On a side note what kind of other maps can they come with? We have KotH, CP, adn the hybrids.

I like some of 'em. Ilios Lighthouse is fun, and Ruins is decent. LOVE the Night Market and Garden in the China map, and Sanctuary and Shrine are fun in Nepal.

So... actually, 2/3 of them, lol.

CTF maps seem like a really obvious addition, as do Assault ones.

Tabby

As someone who primarily plays support it's fascinating to watch when no one will pick a support and the team just grinds against the defenses over and over. It was so fascinating to watch I didn't even switch to support myself. I kind of wanted those L's for my team, lol.

"Maybe if we keep doing the same thing over and over again for 5 minutes it'll work"

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

Payload in Overwatch has the exact same problem that payload in TF2 has had since it was put in the game. For whatever reason, most people treat payload as TDM until the final 60 seconds or so.

woolley

I don't mind KotH but I think they go too fast, they don't allow much time for the other team to turn the match around. if you get the point first your almost garenteed a win that round.

Switzer

I think its less that the final push is hard and more that the middle push is stacked in favor of offense. If your teams were evenly matches, then the offense will tend to push until the end, where it stalemates. There is also the counter-picking factor, by the time it reaches the end, people will start swapping hero's and countering what has worked thus far.

There are good strategies for the final push though. D.va and Roadhog's ults in particular, but most ults that can clear out an area work. Plus there is always just pushing them out of the way with Lucio, Pharah, or Roadhog.

Sou Da

Payload in Overwatch has the exact same problem that payload in TF2 has had since it was put in the game. For whatever reason, most people treat payload as TDM until the final 60 seconds or so.
Mind-games my friend, if we break their spirit then they won't want to defend against the last push! /s

DrArchon

Lost 5 matches in a row just now, but at least I got a loot box from it!

white white blue white

2 sprays, 1 icon, 1 voice quip. And the icon was a duplicate, so I got 15 gold out of it. Fuck you Blizzard.

Also, fuck Torbjorn's turret. Whoever says to just use Pharrah or Junkrat is lying. That thing has way too much range and DPS to kill with them if the person placing it has any sense not to place it out in the open. When Blizzard says it has a range of 40 meters, either their lying or I can't judge distance because it seems to have effectively infinite range.

Switzer

It's fucking sad just how many players have been conditioned by Call of Duty over the years. So many people are shit scared of dying or putting themselves in bad situations for the good of the team.

I mean fucking hell you aren't camping for killstreaks or boasting about your K.D ratio to make up for the fact that you have a small penis. Get on the fucking point!!!

and **breathe**

I actually was doing the exact opposite to my detriment. I would prioritize objectives over my own life and never dare to retreat. I found that sometimes retreating, or waiting before moving on the objective is often way more effective. Not that I'm excusing other players who leave the one Lucio to defend the point all by himself rofl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom