• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the PC version still have a kill feed? Is there a way to turn it on for the PS4 version? It would be insanely useful to know if my team mates behind me suddenly all dropped dead and I'm the last guy on the objective. This happens quite often and I could use the info for me to fall back.

Gotta find it in the options under "gameplay"

Does the PC version still have a kill feed? Is there a way to turn it on for the PS4 version? It would be insanely useful to know if my team mates behind me suddenly all dropped dead and I'm the last guy on the objective. This happens quite often and I could use the info for me to fall back.

It's in the options on PS4 (don't remember the exact menu path)

It's a toggle in the gameplay options

valeo

The only characters I feel like I can't make an impact with are; Widow, Hanzo and Dva.

1. I apparently suck with snipers in this game, despite being decent with awp in CS.
2. How do I be good with Dva? Any tips? I always do really middling work with her.

I don't play first person shooters at all really but I really want to get in to this game. I'm struggling with the very basics though.

Last couple of matches I died and I didn't even know I was getting shot at. I think I'm just going to play against A.I. until I at least know what I'm doing.

Easy mode for beginners! I enjoyed playing as Hanzo...

You can still play and enjoy him now and later, he ain't getting nerfed. Most of my games have really bad Hanzo's, it's almost like their arrows aren't hitting as easy as people are trying to make it out to be.

Alex

I'd much rather have people with D.va mains than Hanzo/Widowmaker. In pub matches a decent D.va is so nice to have on attack and does a good job at flanking and breaking up turtles. Lately I find myself playing a mixture of D.va / Junkrat and either Mercy or Lucio, role-wise. I'd love to play Symmetra more but it's rarely an opportunity afforded to me as I don't like using her without an additional support.

I actually don't terribly like a lot of the offense characters but I will play Pharah if they don't have a lot to punish me with,

I really don't think I've come across too many things in the game that feel like they're completely out of balance. There's so many good counters. They only thing that I would consider is that Reinhardt seems like an auto-pick for every team.

Team comp-wise the only thing I dislike is the fact that if you don't have Reinhardt and Mercy/Lucio as attackers it's super difficult to win. Blizzard really ought to provide some alternatives.

//edit: well, not the ONLY thing, there's the fact that McCree invalidates basically the entire attacker category save Genji.

There really needs to be a one player limit for each hero.
Running in to teams of Torbjorn and Reinhardts is the most bullshit thing in the game.

2 McCrees or Tracers that stick by each other, just when you take one out, the second one pops out of nowhere and wipes floor to the highest noon.
Switching to Zarya does work on them

Whales

Banned
bought myself zen's ifrit skin

man it looks so sweet

playing zen a lot makes me rage sometines, dying to widow bodyshots is frustrating as hell.

plz give him 25 more shields and make his heals last 5 sec out of sight. There, perfect char

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
bought myself zen's ifrit skin

man it looks so sweet

playing zen a lot makes me rage sometines, dying to widow bodyshots is frustrating as hell.

plz give him 25 more shields and make his heals last 5 sec out of sight. There, perfect char

I love taking out Zens as Widowmaker. >;^)

The only characters I feel like I can't make an impact with are; Widow, Hanzo and Dva.

1. I apparently suck with snipers in this game, despite being decent with awp in CS.
2. How do I be good with Dva? Any tips? I always do really middling work with her.

I use D.Va as a disruptor. I get up in there with my dash, knocking enemies around and getting them off their guard. I do this when i know teammates are right behind me to help me out with picking them off.

Flying up and knocking Widows and Hanzos off of their perch wherever they may be. D.Va murders Widowmaker. Hanzo can be trickier.

One thing i dont like is her ultimate. Really, unless the other team is just really bad, you are not going to get kills with it. It takes a very long time to explode, and triggering it early while dashing doesn't help because they see it coming from a mile away. Stand behind a street light pole and you are good.

These guys picking their """mains""" are the worst, every single match they pick the same character and contribute nothing because they're too busy getting their asses kicked, then complain in chat and I'm just like
LA4dI9d.gif

It's always D.Va too, something about her just makes people refuse to switch no matter how terrible they're doing.

Played a game with my buddies last night. Defending on Route 66, with two randoms. They both go D.Va, with matching legendary skins (B.Va and Junebug). Cute, but completely ineffective at actually holding any points.

D.Va is my favorite character and the one I have the most time played with, but she's viable in less than half of the situations I find myself in. Even on maps where she's good I end up switching characters at some point (with the exception of attacking on Route 66; it's my favorite scenario to play because D.Va fucks up all the shit).

Yawnny

I pick Winston because no one chooses tank.

+ 4 support, 1 offense.

2 minutes in and two additional tanks get chosen.

what in the actual fuck.

Sora_N

Played a game with my buddies last night. Defending on Route 66, with two randoms. They both go D.Va, with matching legendary skins (B.Va and Junebug). Cute, but completely ineffective at actually holding any points.

D.Va is my favorite character and the one I have the most time played with, but she's viable in less than half of the situations I find myself in. Even on maps where she's good I end up switching characters at some point (with the exception of attacking on Route 66; it's my favorite scenario to play because D.Va fucks up all the shit).

Yeah I had to learn other characters because D.Va doesn't always work for me.

ExVicis

You know when you have a character you're just like...eh okay with but then you come into that one game where suddenly you're playing as that character and you just DECIMATE the other team as that character? I just had one of those moments and...I don't think I can get it any better than this.

I tried to capture it best I can but I don't think it does it justice.

dd74e978265b65b873bfd13908a4ddab.gif

How do most people capture their PotGs on computer?

BigDug13

If you just jump around the payload as Lucio, you're an asshole. That is all.

He's wearing skates and one of his skills is wall jumping. He's designed to hop around.

Also you might have been facing me because I totally do that. I'm always striving for that objective. I don't just jump around, I also sonic blast the opposition away from the payload. I'm trying to keep them busy till the rest of the team hopefully mows them down. If I'm.pushing the payload I maybe buy us a few more feet with each sonic blast.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Don't charge head on. Attack on the margins, etc. etc.

Now what I can't stand as a D.Va player are team-mates who expect me to actually tank.

That second paragraph is what I'm worried about. People might think that a "terrible" D.Va is just running off on her own instead of taking damage for the team up front.

...When in actuality, she's out there pestering sniper nests, causing distractions, or just pushing to contest a point asap.

I'm guilty of armchair coaching as well, but I'm starting to think that we should all just chill out until we're playing in ranked. There's nothing at stake here apart from win/loss ratio and a few 100 extra EXP. All those D.Vas and Widowmakers (and [character]s) might be terrible, but they also may well be oblivious, and therefore are probably enjoying the game a lot more!

Once ranked rolls around, then it's safe to assume you're playing with people who know what they're doing (and even then, that's a bold assumption on the internet...)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

That's the thing, I do fairly well with D.va. She's my most played next to symmetra and my 2nd most effective hero after symmetra, where given my skill level I'm fairly ok with having a W/L ratio approaching 60%, but I kinda feel like she's situational? Problem is that I've been playing other heroes that I feel might fit the situation more but then end up losing because I'm not as good with them.

Just wish that they would put her in the assault class so I don't feel the need to tank with her, because then no one else picks an actual tank.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

D.Vas good at later points on 66 but that first point on defence is just pain for her. She's great zipping around the town and the final point though. hate fighting D.Vas. Never want to hook her before I see her E.

Alex

+ 4 support, 1 offense.

what in the actual fuck.

People are continuously goofy about comp and map synergy. I think the most irritated I get is when we go on defense and no one wants to play any of the incredible defense cast, just all offense and no one can aim. Often the case we have no tank or support so I have to heal an entire squad of offensive characters on defense. I mean that's at least somewhat rare but it happens and it makes me wanna die when it does.

It's gonna make ranked, where people need to be flexible, real cute. I imagine it working out just like a MOBA. You need X or Y but you wind up with trolls where half the team will only play one thing regardless of queueing for ranked.

For some reason, the worst players in my experience are always a sniper, Genji or lately: Mccree. The amount of really dumb Deadeye's is sad, no flank, no height or cover, just walk right at them and die while acquiring targets.

Switching to Zarya does work on them

Zarya is so terribly underused. She's a little difficult to understand out of the gate compared to Reinhardt or Roadhog but she's really good IMO.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
So guys how does Zarya work exactly? Are her shields supposed to last like 3 seconds? The ones I give my team seriously don't last for shit. I kept dying. I've got no clue how to use her.

Stay in the front line and pop those shields (when under fire) to get your damage up.

I also tend to use the L2 (grenade lob) way more then the beam unless you really need to focus fire.

Good luck, she is a great tank when you know how to use her properly.

ExVicis

That second paragraph is what I'm worried about. People might think that a "terrible" D.Va is just running off on her own instead of taking damage for the team up front.
Honestly I get annoyed at just the opposite. If I see a D.Va in a game as the only tank I'll typically switch myself to Reinhardt in hopes that they'll go off to do something else.

There's nothing at stake here apart from win/loss ratio and a few 100 extra EXP.
That's literally the only important thing in this game and in life! How dare you?!

Deception

Does anyone think the auto kick for inactivity is too aggressive? I'm literally in the menu changing a control for 10-20 seconds and get kicked.

Cade

guys I got a Sunyatta in my level 50 box

and then in my level 51 box I got blue safari winston

if anyone wants to touch me for luck, im available

pigeon

Banned
As somebody who plays a bunch of D.Va, I think people who say D.Va is not meant to jump on the objective and take damage are actually playing D.Va wrong. You have 500 health of which 400 is armor, an ability that neutralizes an infinite amount of damage while it's active (the only ability in the game that does so), and a literal extra life. You're excellent at facetanking and you should definitely be doing it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use your mobility advantage and compensate for your speed disadvantage, because you clearly should, but it is actually your job to, say, jump on a Torb turret and soak it up while killing it. You should be getting on the point and hitting E.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Pretty sure the ones most likely to be complaining about a character they know nothing about are the one's who've never touched anyone besides their main for more than 20 minutes.
as a rule i dont try to tell other people how to play shit i don't know how to play, that's more your problem then mine.

And the one's "insisting" the game is about changing characters depending on the situation are Blizzard, the people who made the game, so????
so what? Blizzards being the champions of balance that they are? i've been playing blizzard games all my life, they're usually wrong.

If this game turns into nothing but counterpicking counterpicks at a high level then its going to be dead before it ever leaves the crib. Laugh all you want but its true.

+ 4 support, 1 offense.

what in the actual fuck.
To be fair, Winston isn't a great main tank. And depending on the map he might be rather ineffective if he's the only tank on the team. Like D.Va, he's a harasser and breaker of ranks.

Still my favorite character, though.

Orcastar

It's random

Crate #16923

BLUE WHITE WHITE BLUE

Do you guys think D.Va and Symmetra are both mislablled Defence characters?

They should introduce something similar to Diablo's loot system, which guarantees legendaries after a specific period of time. Humans don't deal well with true randomness.

valeo

To be fair, Winston isn't a great main tank. And depending on the map he might be rather ineffective if he's the only tank on the team. Like D.Va, he's a harasser and breaker of ranks.

Still my favorite character, though.

I only play Winston on KOTH; in that situation he's the best character imo - double Winston alll dayy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom